Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the future of Gaming?

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

With the sucess of "League of Legends", this game looks like it might be heading in that direction.  I just got a beta invite for "Path of Exiles".  Looks interesting

They talk about tournaments and ladders.

The skill tree points you can put into your character looks huge too

Any thoughts on this?  Is this where we are heading or it's just another game

Game Features

• Completely free to download and play

• A persistent online world capable of supporting hundreds of thousands of players

• A dark and gritty game world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective

• Battle dozens of foes across a variety of unique areas

• Randomly generated levels and items for extreme replayability

• Online ranking and ladders for every game mode

• Visceral combat with dozens of combinable skills

• Battle in PVP tournaments for worldwide recognition

Comments

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I played Path of exile beta and it is exactly like Diablo 2 with better graphics, good game if you have a few hours to kill but not really fun beyond that

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

ROFL

The skill tree is beyond stupid... And huge!

This is only different from any existing skill tree in one way.  They take what a normal (I would say good) game has for a talent (+10 strength lets say) and turns it into 10 separate buttons to click each only giving +1 strength.  Basically you'll have to fill out a HUGE portion of the tree in order to notice any difference.

This is exactly what Blizzard and WoW is trying to fix in the next expansion.  It isn't really fun for players to spend talent points in a tree if each point is barely (or not at all) noticable.

I'm all about having deep character customization but there is no depth when you take a simple tree and break it up into 1000 smallar parts.  That's just stupid.

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

Just to let you know, that is outdated and the new skill galaxy absolutelly Dwarfs that one.

Its way more fleshed out, with more interesting possibilities for builds, with enhanced art for each icon too :D

Besides the addition of aura type of abilities and new active skills.

• Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352

This is the game that has an open tress test this weekend, right?

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by Terminus-Est

This is the game that has an open tress test this weekend, right?

Yes, I got an invite through an email a few days ago.

This is what it read:

We're opening up the Path of Exile Beta for public access this weekend, March 30-April 1, so that we can stress-test our servers in preparation for entering Open Beta in a few months.

If you've been patiently waiting to try Path of Exile, now is your chance to check out the game - for one weekend only.

The game has been in Beta since August and we have been regularly adding content, classes and skills. The open weekend will include the first two acts of the game, Default and Hardcore leagues, five character classes, approximately 55 active skills, 40 support gems and hundreds of item types.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

That skill tree looks like somthing from a system's engineer nightmare its pointless its a bloody normal tree skill base system if they wanted to use that they've should've put into a more comprihensible format.

Originally posted by DOGMA1138

That skill tree looks like somthing from a system's engineer nightmare its pointless its a bloody normal tree skill base system if they wanted to use that they've should've put into a more comprihensible format.

I agree.  When I saw that, it kinda put me off for the game.  I am not that good when it comes putting skill points in.  I spend hours on the interent looking where I should put my points in to match my play style.

This one, I could see myself spending a week trying to find the right one for me.  WoW wasn't that hard to find what points to put in, but this one.....OMG....where do you put them?

• AchylAchyl Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by outfctrl

I agree.  When I saw that, it kinda put me off for the game.  I am not that good when it comes putting skill points in.  I spend hours on the interent looking where I should put my points in to match my play style.

This one, I could see myself spending a week trying to find the right one for me.  WoW wasn't that hard to find what points to put in, but this one.....OMG....where do you put them?

just seeing this immense skill tree all at once makes me want to play this game O_O

• Benn289Benn289 Member Posts: 25

i played PoE beta and its good for people who love complex character tech trees...but to be honest it didnt capture me whatsoever. the game to me personally from my experience is terrible when delivering something fun or actually entertaining. it just doesnt feel like something i could spend hours playing...because ive tried and man oh man was i bored fast.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Looks like my ff10 experience will come in handy here.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

That looks awesome!
    That's a min/max er's wet dream!

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Originally posted by Painlezz

ROFL

The skill tree is beyond stupid... And huge!

This is only different from any existing skill tree in one way.  They take what a normal (I would say good) game has for a talent (+10 strength lets say) and turns it into 10 separate buttons to click each only giving +1 strength.  Basically you'll have to fill out a HUGE portion of the tree in order to notice any difference.

This is exactly what Blizzard and WoW is trying to fix in the next expansion.  It isn't really fun for players to spend talent points in a tree if each point is barely (or not at all) noticable.

I'm all about having deep character customization but there is no depth when you take a simple tree and break it up into 1000 smallar parts.  That's just stupid.

Well it is not stupid and in fact players want huge skill tree not stupid dumbed down auto skills. For me is  big joy to play around with skill tree. Well i know it is the time of instant teleporting, no mounts, no running, no battlegrounds, no gear but it is nice to see one game that have something what is core of mmorpg

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Dude it is awesome game!  What a fantastic huge skill tree, a dream of rpg player.Awesome graphic and characters

• meltingstarsmeltingstars Member UncommonPosts: 51

LoL, interesting.  Thanks for posting.  I'm going to go check out some youtube videos on gameplay.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Is this for real?  if so, wow.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AchylAchyl Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by waynejr2

Is this for real?  if so, wow.

go to their site and mess with the skill tree O_O the builds you can make are intense!

Originally posted by Gorwe

It's STAT tree Btw(skills are "earned" by socketing skill gems into equipment). PoE is a good game IF you crave good H&S game and IF you do not agree with what Bli$$ard is doing to Diablo(mutilating it Btw...). Otherwise forget it. Oh, GGG(the dev. team) is AWESOME by the way!

You're right, my bad.  Plus, they are all passive.

but

They call it a skill tree

I actually played with it.  Very interesting

Check it out

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

That looks awesome!

That's a min/max er's wet dream!

That's true.  But if the people playing it are anything resembling LoL then I won't be able to tolerate it.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Don't stress about it too much. If you get lost in that web and spend your points unwisely, it's no biggie. You can always start a new level 1 character and level that to cap and try again. :-D