Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect 3 Ending

fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I finally finished ME3 after about 30 hours of gameplay. ME3 is definitely a great game and it sure as hell was fun. The major gripe most people haave is with the ending.

SPOLERS: Do not click the link if you haven't completed the game.

I think this > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck explains the ending very well. It's brilliant in a way you have to admit. Even before I completed the game I figured out that people didn't like that the ending wasn't one of those cheesy happy endings where everything is spoonfed to people and there's no room for personal interpretation. 

What do you guys think about this "theory"?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Comments

•  I think its complete BS based on people's natural bent towards denial.

Its just bad writing.  That is the explanation.

If this were truly a real theme it would have been explored more and better.

In the end even if the writers wanted to explore this theme they did it so poorly people should still be pissed.  People pissed because the ending is some of the most obviously bad and lazy writing around in quite some time.  Even if the indoctrination theory had some vailidity it still would absolve Bioware of nothing as they did an ass-poor job with it. 

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by fivoroth

I finally finished ME3 after about 30 hours of gameplay. ME3 is definitely a great game and it sure as hell was fun. The major gripe most people haave is with the ending.

I think this > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck explains the ending very well. It's brilliant in a way you have to admit. Even before I completed the game I figured out that people didn't like that the ending wasn't one of those cheesy happy endings where everything is spoonfed to people and there's no room for personal interpretation. 

I agreee...If BW trully meant it the way it's explained it the video, than hands down to bioware, great ending indeed

However

MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT

If it is as explained.. then the real end is missing: Shepard lies on the ground unconsciousnessly near the beacon and "dreams" while the war rages. If he resists the indoctrination he wakes up, otherwise hes gone...So lets say he resists. We see the "ending" aka the destruction of relays etc and him awakening in the ruins...So what will really happen? If BW plans to give the "real ending" via DLC, then thats pretty nasty :/

I wouldnt mind if the ending was real and no hallucination tho, because

I'd find the fact that there is no "good" ending (relays are destroyed everytime - civilizations are stuck isolated in their own solar systems) is cruel but somehow feels epic deep and gives the impression that truly huge sacrifice was needed to stop the reapers

MASSIVE SPOILER ENDING

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I don't think the ending was 100% bad. The way they wrote it could have worked better but there are problems.

The biggest issues I see are:

Logic/plot holes. There are plenty. I won't go into detail as it's been discussed many times.

Choice: nothing you did throughout the whole series made a difference in the end.

The rest of the complaints I've seen from people don't really bother me. I would be more pissed if there was a happy ending. I like the fact that the whole galaxy is now cut off from each other. I actually like the way the three choices were represented, just not so much what happens afterwards.

I am overall Ok with the ending. I get what they were trying to do. The ambiguity is fine with me. The dark ending is fine with me. The plot holes and lack if impact on the ending are not.

What I like about the ending is that no matter which choice you go with, it still kind of sucks for the characters. So many negative consequences involved with each choice. There is no "right" choice. That was smart of them. It's a desperate situation and you have to do whatever it takes to move on.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    The theory if true does nothing to the fact that the entire ending made any choices made in the game pointless. That is what most of the anger is about. The mass effect series always prided itself on saying your choices would matter. Not to mention that all 3 end sequences are basically the same but differently colored. It was lazy and they deserved all the backlash they got.

You killed the aracni queen? No worries there was another one.
    Any of your team mates die? No worries we have a replacement npc
    Choices didn't matter whatever you did in the first 2 the third game plays through exactly the same way every time.
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Great excuse for bad writing, and a rushed game.  EA needed this game out by the 1st quarter and they got it.  Ending or not.  I bet the ending (the real one that actually makes since with the game) is 3/4 of the way complete. (probably half complete before the complaints.  

Years from now some exec will spill the beans and admit the game endings weren't complete but no one thought that it was worth holding off getting dividends to the investors.  

For a game that had a million cut scenes, some extremely long,  quick over and done endings of Mass Effect 2 and 3 show what a corporate atomsphere can do toward creativity.  

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Pigozz

I agreee...If BW trully meant it the way it's explained it the video, than hands down to bioware, great ending indeed

However

MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT

If it is as explained.. then the real end is missing: Shepard lies on the ground unconsciousnessly near the beacon and "dreams" while the war rages. If he resists the indoctrination he wakes up, otherwise hes gone...So lets say he resists. We see the "ending" aka the destruction of relays etc and him awakening in the ruins...So what will really happen? If BW plans to give the "real ending" via DLC, then thats pretty nasty :/

I'd find the fact that there is no "good" ending (relays are destroyed everytime - civilizations are stuck isolated in their own solar systems) is cruel but somehow feels epic deep and gives the impression that truly huge sacrifice was needed to stop the reapers

MASSIVE SPOILER ENDING

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD.

That's the idea - the real end is missing. According to this theory, everything that happened after the reaper beam is hallucination and the real ending is supposed to be released via DLC. There's a lot of speculation about ME3's new DLC called "The Truth" and rumours say that it will introduce the real ending. Of course, none of this confirmed by Bioware so all we can do is wait and see.

However, I think that BioWare would be ridiculously stupid not to take advantage of this opportunity even if that was not their original intention. For me it will be brilliant to have the current "ending" and if you make the right decision (destroy) you wake up and get to have the real thing.

Originally posted by gestalt11

I think its complete BS based on people's natural bent towards denial.

In the end even if the writers wanted to explore this theme they did it so poorly people should still be pissed.  People pissed because the ending is some of the most obviously bad and lazy writing around in quite some time.  Even if the indoctrination theory had some vailidity it still would absolve Bioware of nothing as they did an ass-poor job with it. 

Indoctrination is major theme throughout the series. It doesn't need to be spoonfed to people in the last 10 minutes of the game. How do you explain Shepard's hallucinations of that boy. The boy never existed, it was a hallucination in the first scene where Shepard saw him in the vent.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• I honestly think they just ran out of time, didn't know what to do for the ending, and put something together really quickly. For once I don't think it's just an angry group of fanatics complaining about a game. Everywhere I go people seem to think it was terrible. I certainly have no desire to buy any DLC adventures after that ending, it seems kind of pointless. Actually, I haven't managed to play any of the Mass Effect games since beating 3, and before that I adored the series.

I think the whole indoctrination theory is just fans trying to put something together with what little the recieved to ward off their disappointment. I have no problem with the theory, some of its proponents have really thought it out, but I don't believe it.

• Originally posted by fivoroth

Originally posted by Pigozz

However

MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT

MASSIVE SPOILER ENDING

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD.

That's the idea - the real end is missing. According to this theory, everything that happened after the reaper beam is hallucination and the real ending is supposed to be released via DLC. There's a lot of speculation about ME3's new DLC called "The Truth" and rumours say that it will introduce the real ending. Of course, none of this confirmed by Bioware so all we can do is wait and see.

However, I think that BioWare would be ridiculously stupid not to take advantage of this opportunity even if that was not their original intention. For me it will be brilliant to have the current "ending" and if you make the right decision (destroy) you wake up and get to have the real thing.

Originally posted by gestalt11

I think its complete BS based on people's natural bent towards denial.

Indoctrination is major theme throughout the series. It doesn't need to be spoonfed to people in the last 10 minutes of the game. How do you explain Shepard's hallucinations of that boy. The boy never existed, it was a hallucination in the first scene where Shepard saw him in the vent.

Yes and you don't just get insta-gibbed indotrinated.  You slowly go crazy and if they went that route (which would have been cool) there should be a number of points which gave a subtle hints has went down a nicely winding road on your descent into madness.  They could have some kind of Lovecraftian story.  They didn't.

And if they wrote this story just to give a DLC called "The truth" to plaster over the travesty they gave you, then they are complete scum if they charge you for it.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

While I'd like to believe the Indoc Theory is true, I believe that BioWare did no such thing. This is going by all of the blogs and comments from the Bioware devs and directors. I mean there is always the chance that they doing a big ruse and something like the Indoc theory is actually true. But I doubt it.

The problem with the ending is all the numerous plot holes and general disconnect with the rest of the game. Which is a real shame since it is a very good game. It's like they put in that ending with no QA testing done at all.