Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Races and classes

MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

Not to sound too negative...oh nevermind this will be negative.

Why do they even have races in EQ2?  From the sound of it they no longer have their own cultures or cities (arguably one of the best things about the original EQ).  Everyone I talk to seems to look back in wonder or at least fondly at the different race cities and cultures like seeing kelethin in the trees, or the dark neon city of the dark elves, or hearing the cute music in rivervale with its little hobbit hole houses.

If they are going to go this silly route with everyone starting in a human city with no culture behind them then why not just make the character customization limitless and let you make your character look however you want?  That way you can make a 6 foot blue rabbit as that is less silly then dark elves that live with gnomes, or the wood elves of kelethin living in a stone city of humans.

Comments

• VardiaVardia Member Posts: 40
    It sounds like they really improved the ugly Erudites, now they're gonna be grey skined and have glowing tattoos!  Something about the Arcane arts changing them into something creepier, or thats how it seemes.    image

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Dont forget Misti, this is a new game set in a different time. Things arent going to be the same if they were it would just be EQ all over again (only with better graphics)

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

Yeah I know what you are saying Flem, and I dont expect it to be a clone of the original.  I just really liked how your race actually meant something in EQ.  Each one had a unique culture, architecture, factions, and history.  Too many of the new mmorpgs give you a choice of races but really the race means nothing and is bland and doesnt even make much sense.

As an example in Shadowbane they made this great lore behind the game about how the races felt about one another and such, but when you played the game none of it applied.  Supposedly everyone fears and many even hate and harm the new shade race.  Many distrust and hate the elves.  When you play the game however, everyone is treated exactly the same, the races have nothing unique about where they live or how they see the world or how they are treated by other race NPCs.

Though EQ2 is a drastically altered world Its just silly to me to think that the Dark elves would ever live in Freeport with races they despise and think themselves far greater then.  Or races like the wood elves who love nature and made their cities from the trees themselves living in a city of stone made by humans.  I could go on and on here... image

Maybe I am just being quirky but I think it was the unique homelands, history, and culture of races like dwarves and elves that made them so popular in fantasy to begin with.  Taking that all away really takes the heart out of what made EQ1 so good imo.

No matter what cataclysm might come, even if there were only 4 dwarves left and surrounded by danger you can bet they would grab a pick and start making new mines and homes under the mountains for thier people.  They are stubborn and proud, thats what makes them dwarves as much as the fact they are short and have big beards. 

Dont get me wrong, I definately plan to try EQ2 and want it to be a success very much.  In fact I was wishing for EQ2 long before they ever announced there would be one.  Its just that of all the little changes in classes, the world, tradeskills, none of that has the huge scope and potential to harm the game as much as the lose of the cultures does so this concerns me a lot.

Yeah i see your point, racial differences, backgrounds, unique tradeskills all made the character evolution in EQ. Even anoying as it was to have a shopkeeper tell you that they dont serve your kind image

Having to run from town guards from a race that hated you, the languages, racial recipies for tradeskills, they were all fun.

The architecture was great and fitted in to each race perfectly. I think it would be fun to have the languages play a prominent part like they do on the current role play server. Having to learn it before you can speak it.

I am looking forward to EQII.

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460
    that was fun...taking it out would be taking a chunk out of EQ

Well i guess we wont know fully until we see the finished product.

• anti_ssmanti_ssm Member Posts: 50
    Races no longer have their own cultures or cities?  Where did you hear this?

"Doesn't anyone in this town wear pants?"

• viet_boy33viet_boy33 Member Posts: 395
    Well all the imformation i got is in the website. Their is 16 races. 48 classes which you can pick as you level on. Also a long game with 100 if the exp is based on EQ1.

My strongest move is called the Hiten Misturugi Ryu technique. No move is faster or stronger than it. (Hitokiri Battousai)

http://www.narutofan.com go there for Naruto episodes!!

• LebowskiLebowski Member Posts: 147

I think they've reduced number of lvls to 50

When life tastes like lemmon, take tequila and salt.

When life tastes like lemmon, take tequila and salt.

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

They did reduce the number of levels to 50 now.  From the sweeping changes they are making and the poor screenshots being released it seems more and more to me that this game is still partially in a conceptual phase or early development.

World of Warcraft may actually come out before EQ2 after all.

Yeah well they reduce the levels now nowing full well that they will start producing an expansion as soon as the game is released, and in that expansion they will increase the levels, and so on and so on.