Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a decent F2P game

snowytechnasnowytechna Member Posts: 185

Hey guys, it's been a while since I have played an MMO and I was kinda looking at playing one casually in my free time. I would most likely play only 1/2 hour a day or so since I dont have time for more than that.

I dont really care about graphics as long as they are not too cartoony, kinda tired of WoW style graphics. 

So features I am looking for:

The less grind there is the better it is

Dont really care about end game as it will take me a long time to reach it, just want to have about an hours worth of enjoyment everyday.

The ability to solo if I want to however I dont mind group play

I was thinking of trying LOTRO or Everquest 2 other suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

LOTRO

but you will end up spending more then 30 min in it daily becuase you will fall in love with it. :)

but seriously though its probably best for you. You can log in and hang out at your home smoking and playing music for 30 min if your into that kinda thing.

• spookymiaspookymia Member UncommonPosts: 57

Champions Online and Star Trek Online are good casual gamer games. All Points Bulletin is lots of fun but it is intense and is PvP only.

Originally posted by spookymia

Champions Online and Star Trek Online are good casual gamer games. All Points Bulletin is lots of fun but it is intense and is PvP only.

I havent played Champions online, but I have heard from multiple sources the DCUO is a lot better. I played it myself, but found it to casual.

• Joe_CoolJoe_Cool Member Posts: 7

yeah lotro is good i didn't like the Pvp or PvMp its too one sided and laggy, but if you play for free best bet but you will be grinding for content, my advise is make a hobbit get used to Bree and Erdu Luin that is 90 TP each zone 5 toons you will be well on your way to unlocking your first quest pack

One more thing unlike EQ EQ2 Ect. you can unlock all lotro it just takes time same with ddo

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

My advice as someone that has played them extensively since their inception is to run. run far and fast and long away from this debacle and genre. There is nothing more to see here currently and your better off sticking to single player games. However, you have been warned so enter cash shops and microtransactions at your own risk.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• cure01cure01 Member UncommonPosts: 291

Same advice as sonicbrew single-player games like oblivion and skyrim sill give a simular experience. And you can play for short spurts. Also big fish games is a great casual games site. But suggestions are like a***oles .....

Originally posted by sonicbrew

My advice as someone that has played them extensively since their inception is to run. run far and fast and long away from this debacle and genre. There is nothing more to see here currently and your better off sticking to single player games. However, you have been warned so enter cash shops and microtransactions at your own risk.

Unfortunetly this guy is right. I actually have been playing less and less MMO's lately just because most games have gone to the crapper. F2P games imo is just a marketing scam. Most of the time you actually pay more. when I say play LOTRO im basing it on the fact that after a specific amount of time the OP will sub.

With that being said you have three options, Play a mmo like LOTRO and prep yourself to actually sub, Play Guild wars as its B2P and has a mix of single/mmo and realisticly you could play casual, or just stick with single player games as there is some awesome ones out there right now and more to come.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by snowytechna

Hey guys, it's been a while since I have played an MMO and I was kinda looking at playing one casually in my free time. I would most likely play only 1/2 hour a day or so since I dont have time for more than that.

I dont really care about graphics as long as they are not too cartoony, kinda tired of WoW style graphics. 

So features I am looking for:

The less grind there is the better it is

Dont really care about end game as it will take me a long time to reach it, just want to have about an hours worth of enjoyment everyday.

The ability to solo if I want to however I dont mind group play

I like Pirates Of The Burning Sea.   It has some of the fewest limitations on F2P.  If you pay the sub fee just one time ($15) then it unlocks all restrictions and you can just immediately cancel and the restrictions stay lifted. 

Lots of fun after you get into it.  I really enjoy it.  Good for soloing or group play. 

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Aion !  http://truly-free.aiononline.com/ ! Give it a try ! I think the "Free Trial" is still active , but on 11 April will become F2P.

However, if you try it now and enjoy it , I advice you to play "chill" till 11 April, because with the launch of 3.0 and F2P version , they will open new servers!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• snowytechnasnowytechna Member Posts: 185

Originally posted by IceAge

Aion !  http://truly-free.aiononline.com/ ! Give it a try ! I think the "Free Trial" is still active , but on 11 April will become F2P.

However, if you try it now and enjoy it , I advice you to play "chill" till 11 April, because with the launch of 3.0 and F2P version , they will open new servers!

Hey dude, thanks for the suggestion. I am gonna dl it after LOTRO and check it out. I hope the grind is not too bad though.

• lance999lance999 Member UncommonPosts: 12

Grind in Aion is huge tbh. Its a really fun game tho, if you can get past the grindyness.

Good points:

- free, hardly any restrictions

- easy to learn

- best charactor creator ive ever seen. I saw one guy make a perfect Barak Obama, was hilarious.

- Really cool graphics, i love the art style

Bad points:

-One of the longest grinds to max level in all games (not the longest, but it will take you months to get to max level if you only play 30 mins a day)

- Slow Customer support.

- Not optimised very well in the big towns (you wont notice if you have a beast PC)

- constantly need to farm money to buy the shit you need.

Overall its a good game tho, defo worth a try as its free.

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107

Hey dude, thanks for the suggestion. I am gonna dl it after LOTRO and check it out. I hope the grind is not too bad though.

Take my advice and stay away from Aion. It has nothing to do with casual and when you hit level 20, you will run out of quests and have to grind mobs for levels.. The only thing positive I have to say about Aion is it's pretty graphics.. That's it !

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Lately i have been enjoying DC Universe Online a great deal.

It has action combat, real high production value (imho not less than SWTOR) , great graphic and least of grind.

Its real casual however , since i hear people can blast trough whole content pretty fast.

• DrDreamDrDream Member UncommonPosts: 237

Originally posted by Xstyles

Take my advice and stay away from Aion. It has nothing to do with casual and when you hit level 20, you will run out of quests and have to grind mobs for levels.. The only thing positive I have to say about Aion is it's pretty graphics.. That's it !

You obviously havnt played Aion in a while and feel i must correct you. Anyway Dont listen to this bloke he's bad new. Aion is great and with the Dbl exp weekends leveling in Aion is awesomly easy. As someone who is a very casual player anymore with having a wife, and kid i dont get to play video games like i use too. Recently me and my wife started Aion prob about 2 weeks ago or so and we are level 31 already now mind you we play once ever 2 or 3 days depending on how busy work is and such. But 1-10 is kinda boring but after that its alot  of fun and leveling is a breeze mobs give more exp and quests do too well some of them doo. Also The rest Exp builds up pretty quickly in 2 days you got max rested. We have been having alot of fun, and i would recomend this mmo to anyone who is looking for a good solid mmo with plenty of content now and with the upcoming 3.0 update its only going to get better so come on by and see us some time!

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by snoop101

Originally posted by spookymia

I havent played Champions online, but I have heard from multiple sources the DCUO is a lot better. I played it myself, but found it to casual.

They're both better than each other in certain areas. I wouldn't recommend either for anything more than something to dip your toes into for a few weeks to experience something new though. They're worth that, but not much more past that.

• BLueBEarBLueBEar Member Posts: 242

Vanguard Saga of Heroes will be going f2p.

Recommend you try that after Lotro.

Oh my got!!!
    i neber see a graphic of this before,
    i neber p2p any game before, but this game i must!