Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does SWTOR needs to do like GW2?

And sell in game items for real money?

From a business point of view, do you think this is a good practice?

eqnext.wikia.com

Comments

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

I believe EA would make lot more money if they go F2P and cash shop like GW2.

• style360style360 Member Posts: 70

I'd guess that SWTOR will go subscription + cash shop eventually, but not yet. WoW did it too.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Who honestly believes they haven't had a cash shop in the works this entire time?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

SWTOR cant do that as their max power level is mostly gear power based, where with GW2 its mostly player skill based and top level armor stats are easilly attainable for everyone.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

I wouldn't be too surprised to see a cash shop stocked with an attractive alternative to the current garbage end game armor sets.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I think when you have to pay to have a romance with your companion then a virtual pimping line has been crossed.
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

No, I don't really think SW:TOR needs to do anything like GW2. GW2 is lacking in several glaring ways, you will see this and the question as to why it's B2P without a subscription will be answered. Not saying GW2 is a bad game, in fact it's pretty impressive. But by the time it's out, SW:TOR will have continued snowballing into a more and more popular, content filled still new game and considering it's free updates are bigger than any paid expansion I've ever seen, they've got very little to worry about.

GW2 has no real end-game. End-game progression is easily met to an end, and then you focus on WvWvW which will be cool sometimes, but not as a constant. The game is designed for you to casually play through it on many alts to enjoy it's strength's which are almost all presented in the leveling process. SW:TOR on the other hand, really is a noticeably 'deeper' feeling game when you get right down to it, and will only grow from there. If everything they've shown us at the Guild Summit is just a taste of one major update (1.2 on the test server right now, and it is incredible), and with 1.3 promising to be even bigger...Yeah...SW:TOR is fine.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Valentina

No, I don't really think SW:TOR needs to do anything like GW2. GW2 is lacking in several glaring ways, you will see this and the question as to why it's B2P without a subscription will be answered. Not saying GW2 is a bad game, in fact it's pretty impressive. But by the time it's out, SW:TOR will have continued snowballing into a more and more popular, content filled still new game and considering it's free updates are bigger than any paid expansion I've ever seen, they've got very little to worry about.

GW2 has no real end-game. End-game progression is easily met to an end, and then you focus on WvWvW which will be cool sometimes, but not as a constant. The game is designed for you to casually play through it on many alts to enjoy it's strength's which are almost all presented in the leveling process. SW:TOR on the other hand, really is a noticeably 'deeper' feeling game when you get right down to it, and will only grow from there. If everything they've shown us at the Guild Summit is just a taste of one major update (1.2 on the test server right now, and it is incredible), and with 1.3 promising to be even bigger...Yeah...SW:TOR is fine.

This. I'm always suspect of a company releasing a B2P MMO. The belief that you are playing for free is nonsense as you will hit a point that you will have to either pay more cash or not advance in the game. STO went this route and though it had a nice spike in the beginning it sank down again when people realized that you had to pay extra again and again for what was once aquirable before. At least with a subscription I don't have to worry about having access to all the content in the game. B2P is for MMOs that know they can't make it on sub fees. Believe me, you get what you pay for.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

I dont know about others, but I would pay 50 bucks for a Uncle Owen companion for the Bounty Hunter.

Make him flammable, and while being reduced to a charred corpse he spouts things like "PRECU FTL", "The PRECioUs looks like me", and "At least I am not as crispy as SWG". Hell I would pay 100.

I would hope BW knows better than to allow folks to gather ingame money thru CS purchase ala GW2. That is just asking for folks to speak out, and they have already painted themselves into a corner with the idea that they could make PVP a major appeal. Some of us just dont believe in being able to buy money in our games.

The other side of the coin though is games can really add to their income. EVE pads their stats by allowing folks to purchase game time with ingame creds. Which although I am happy they are being helped instead of farmers, it still isnt something I totally condone. If folks were using creds for time, and they were taking that money out of the economy, then I would be in favor of the system.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Originally posted by ktanner3

This. I'm always suspect of a company releasing a P2P MMO. The belief that you are playing for free is nonsense as you will hit a point that you will have to either pay more cash or not advance in the game. STO went this route and though it had a nice spike in the beginning it sank down again when people realized that you had to pay extra again and again for what was once aquirable before. At least with a subscription I don't have to worry about having access to all the content in the game. P2P is for MMOs that know they can't make it on sub fees. Believe me, you get what you pay for.

And the world is a fair and righteous place with unicorns and butterflies, where hard working men and women always get what they deserve.

Valentina, I'm going to hold on to your words of "lacking in several glaring ways" and I look forward to your review, where the "glaring" points are actually not going to be based on personal preference (i.e. there's no raiding omg hate hate hate).

Eat me!

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

I wouldn't be too surprised to see a cash shop stocked with an attractive alternative to the current garbage end game armor sets.

would be an explanation as to why they went with the Pope outfits. I know I would pay to replace endgame gear with better looking stuff.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by matraque

And sell in game items for real money?

From a business point of view, do you think this is a good practice?

Not if they are charging a subscription fee, although many games have had both a cash shop and a sub fee concurrently - EQ2, LOTRO and WoW for example.

Regarding the off topic RMT talk, just like GW2, the in game currency of SWTOR is nearly worthless once you reach max level. Only a fool would spend any RL money on it. I had a Rank 3 speeder within a week of hitting max level on my main, then the money just started piling up since I didnt need it for anything.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Originally posted by RefMinor

I think when you have to pay to have a romance with your companion then a virtual pimping line has been crossed.

I've liked a lot of your posts and many times agreed 100% but this... is by far my favorite

LOLOLOL's

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

Have any of these people that keep bringing up GW2 even played it??? Lets not forget that games like Vanguard, AoC, and WAR were supposed to be the greatest games ever and all of them fell wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy short.....Comparing a pretty successful game to one that isn't even released yet is pretty silly....I get the impression taht alot of these people have visions in their heads as to what GW2 will be like, but in reality it isn't going to be like that.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by Trionicus

I've liked a lot of your posts and many times agreed 100% but this... is by far my favorite

LOLOLOL's

/agree I lol'd at this.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

This. I'm always suspect of a company releasing a P2P MMO. The belief that you are playing for free is nonsense as you will hit a point that you will have to either pay more cash or not advance in the game. STO went this route and though it had a nice spike in the beginning it sank down again when people realized that you had to pay extra again and again for what was once aquirable before. At least with a subscription I don't have to worry about having access to all the content in the game. P2P is for MMOs that know they can't make it on sub fees. Believe me, you get what you pay for.

I guess you mean B2P and not P2P. P2P is for MMOs that know they can't make it on sub fees? That is a funny statement, even if it may be true for some, it's not true for all. WoW comes to mind. They seem to be making it.

imageimage
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

I guess you mean B2P and not P2P. P2P is for MMOs that know they can't make it on sub fees? That is a funny statement, even if it may be true for some, it's not true for all. WoW comes to mind. They seem to be making it.

Oops my bad. I made the neccessary edits and thanks for pointing out my mistake :)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Oops my bad. I made the neccessary edits and thanks for pointing out my mistake :)

I think we need a new B2P2W category to further confuse things.
  • Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

I think we need a new B2P2W category to further confuse things.

I thought we were already using GW2 as shorthand?

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by Theocritus

Have any of these people that keep bringing up GW2 even played it??? Lets not forget that games like Vanguard, AoC, and WAR and SWTOR were supposed to be the greatest games ever and all of them fell wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy short.....Comparing a pretty successful game to one that isn't even released yet is pretty silly....I get the impression taht alot of these people have visions in their heads as to what GW2 will be like, but in reality it isn't going to be like that.

fixed that for you image

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591
    EA should probably work on turning SWTOR into, at the the very least, a functioning video game with more than 2,500 subscribers before it adds a cash shop.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"