Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Free-to-play bring back populations?

NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR5Eb572wEI&feature=bf_prev&list=UUVCMrxxTya5ad7Yyb4oFkWQ&lf=plcp 

Awesome mmorpg only sold by ncsoft to F2P publishers to free up resourses for GWII

or simply those that enjoy romance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOyaNK0ciB4&feature=related

to all the old players come back to telemachus uk and let us revive those days........  

Comments

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by NortonGB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR5Eb572wEI&feature=bf_prev&list=UUVCMrxxTya5ad7Yyb4oFkWQ&lf=plcp 

Awesome mmorpg only sold by ncsoft to F2P publishers to free up resourses for GWII

to all the old players come back to telemachus uk and let us revive those days........  

Its going f2p because its on its deathbed...not to free up resources for GW2...which would have pulled away the remaning p2p crowd from the game.

Its being done as a matter of survival.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Crunchy221

Its going f2p because its on its deathbed...not to free up resources for GW2...which would have pulled away the remaning p2p crowd from the game.

I do not agree at all. My characters are on Israphael and it has, and always has had, a healthy population.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by bigsmiff

I do not agree at all. My characters are on Israphael and it has, and always has had, a healthy population.

Well in case you didnt notice, it will be down to 2 other servers total with the addition of going to f2p.  Not adding...reducing.

Gw2 launching isnt going to help either.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Well in case you didnt notice, it will be down to 2 other servers total with the addition of going to f2p.  Not adding...reducing.

Gw2 launching isnt going to help either.

dont know about the na population but in the eu we have 4 more servers since f2p. and all with a good population.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Real F2P does increase populations.

Fake F2P increases populations for a short period of time.

Whats the difference between them?

DDO is a game that went F2P...

LoTRo, EQ2, Conan...are fake pay traps.

Free to play means the game is free, not part of it and the rest can only be unlocked via subscribing.

This is why some of the games that are going so called F2P are not doing so well...they still believe their

game is good enough for people to pay for and think they will trick enough people to become subscribers again.

And THAT is the one and only reason why F2P games like Atlantica Online or Runes of Magic has far more

people playing them than EQ2, LoTRo, Conan, City of heroes, Champions Online and DCU combined even though

the games suck when comparing them.

If you are going to go F2P, do it...dont do it half-assed, create a ton of microtransaction items and open up a shop...because THAT should be your revenue and if done right, youll make far more money than your pay model.

Runes of Magic raked in almost 30 million in profits in 2010...thats = to two million subscribers paying $15 a month.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,464

Maybe for the NA/EU servers and NCWest, but worldwide Aion has more players and generates more revenue than any Western game but WoW.  The Asian MMO market is HUGE and dwarfs the West.  Even WoW doesn't have the playerbase in Asia that Aion has.  The info and such can be found in a quick search, or just look at Richard Aihoshi's Free Columns.  He's posted some stats recently.

I'm not a huge fan of F2P, but I'll put this back on my hard drive once it goes free.  I like NCSoft's F2P model better than any other.  I just put EQ2 back on my hd to check out my old characters and I really hate how I ended up not being able to wear my gear (even though I answered that I wanted my current gear bound to me) and a lot of the stuff I had earned in the past couldn't be used now.  It was very off-putting.  The NCSoft setup looks a lot more promising.

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,192

Originally posted by jtcgs

Real F2P does increase populations.

Fake F2P increases populations for a short period of time.

Whats the difference between them?

DDO is a game that went F2P...

LoTRo, EQ2, Conan...are fake pay traps.

Free to play means the game is free, not part of it and the rest can only be unlocked via subscribing.

This is why some of the games that are going so called F2P are not doing so well...they still believe their

game is good enough for people to pay for and think they will trick enough people to become subscribers again.

And THAT is the one and only reason why F2P games like Atlantica Online or Runes of Magic has far more

people playing them than EQ2, LoTRo, Conan, City of heroes, Champions Online and DCU combined even though

the games suck when comparing them.

If you are going to go F2P, do it...dont do it half-assed, create a ton of microtransaction items and open up a shop...because THAT should be your revenue and if done right, youll make far more money than your pay model.

Runes of Magic raked in almost 30 million in profits in 2010...thats = to two million subscribers paying $15 a month.

I find it amusing that you say they are "fake pay traps" because that is an absolutely accurate description of what a REAL Free 2 play game is. A game where you play for free but once you reach the higher levels or end game you end up paying much more than the standard subscription fee in order to compete at that level, or you give up on life and dedicate every waking moment to advancing in the game. If  anything F2P games that act as an extended free trial as in the long run more fair and less of a trap than actual F2P games. 

• SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 471

If we are talking about bringing the F2P population with it's launch then a new server will be a good idea. The game is outdated compared to other F2P models.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,198

If this happened a year ago, population would have blown up.  Unfortunately this is happening around GW2's release.  I personally see no reason to PVP in such a gear based system when a skill based one will be available.  Some people prefer the gear based system so who knows.

• SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 471

Originally posted by Alders

If this happened a year ago, population would have blown up.  Unfortunately this is happening around GW2's release.  I personally see no reason to PVP in such a gear based system when a skill based one will be available.  Some people prefer the gear based system so who knows.

As a new player I still do not know much about the game but it does function like a pre-historic mmo. There are so many new systems we new players are familiar with in F2P these days that this game feels OLD compared to them.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I think their will be a massive population explosion at the release of F2P, its happened with every P2P gone F2P, ive been hearing bad things about the restrictions of Aions f2p package, though I dont know the details, it may not have the success as other games like DCUO or DnD for good examples.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Initially yes. There will be tons of people.

Mid or long-term ? Who knows. Some f2p / freemium games maintain medium to high populations and some get deserted again (cough AoC cough)

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

Originally posted by Dragonantis

I think their will be a massive population explosion at the release of F2P, its happened with every P2P gone F2P, ive been hearing bad things about the restrictions of Aions f2p package, though I dont know the details, it may not have the success as other games like DCUO or DnD for good examples.

welll yeah we had and have a population explosion. when i logg to the game in the afternoon 90% of the servers are full. i started a new char on a new server and in my new legion the most ppl are from games like rom, allods, metin 2 etc. and they are actually ejoyin the game that much that they bring the buddies to aion.

the only point ppl are complainin about is that the starters have almost no rights. but there is an easy solution for that. join a legion, buy a gold-member package from a guildmate and enjoy the game. u dont even need to pay real money for the goldmembership since ppl sell it ingame too.