Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard saga of heros is going F2P!!!!It`s offical, the link is here

Comments

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Originally posted by kantseeme

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I've tried Vanguard several times as it has many key things that I typically do enjoy.

However almost everything about vanguard seemed kinda of... meh.  It didn't really have anything better to pull me away from the other games I was playing.

Graphics - enivonment is great.  Can't stand the way the charracters look or run.

Housing - yep they have it, but only a few models - far too limited for my taste.

Flight - I'll give them good props for this.

Dip - yes they had something different.  However I found this to be extremely dull.

Classes - lots of classes but nothing that really grabbed me.  I like the bard method of making your own songs.  But nothing else seemed particular great, they weren't bad, just not good enough to take me away from my other games.

Quests - lots but kind of dull

Crafting - you can customize which is great.  But their methods seemed too dull, more of a click fest than anything.

So again they had a lot, but didn't really excell at anything IMO, and this was the biggest problem, everything was just ok.

[Mod Edit]

I have tried it, several times.  Because it has many things that I typically do like.  However as I stated it did not do them better than the other games, so it doesn't have anything to pull me from those other games.

IMO there is nothing in Vanguard that is great.  IMO Crafting is better is other games, adventuring is better in other games, housing is better in other games,  Classes are better in other games.  Vanguards was just ok, and that was it.

If it launched today, bug free, it may be better but there is still nothing here that it does better than other games.

edit - nor would I want to play with a person who is so childish that they insult someone merely for having a different opinion.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

I definitely think it's not too late. I am so looking forward to going back to Telon. I'll be more than happy to pay a sub so long as there are a decent number of people in the game and I think making it f2p is exactly whats going to do that. Vanguard is loved by many, played by few because SOE hasn't put any effort into it in ages.

I understand that it's a double-edged sword. A game can't have content being made for it if people aren't willing to pay a sub, and people aren't willing to pay a sub if there are no people. But now that it's going F2P, this is going to bring in the much needed players and revenue. Of that I have zero doubts.

I look forward to a brighter tomorrow for Telon. Summer 2012 is shaping up to be a busy MMO-time for me. Haha.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I have tried it, several times.  Because it has many things that I typically do like.  However as I stated it did not do them better than the other games, so it doesn't have anything to pull me from those other games.

IMO there is nothing in Vanguard that is great.  IMO Crafting is better is other games, adventuring is better in other games, housing is better in other games,  Classes are better in other games.  Vanguards was just ok, and that was it.

If it launched today, bug free, it may be better but there is still nothing here that it does better than other games.

edit - nor would I want to play with a person who is so childish that they insult someone merely for having a different opinion.

The game doesn't back up your opinion because it is not fact, just opinion.

You are welcome to whatever opinion you wish.  I never stated nor implied in any form that you did not have that right.  Nor did I say that I have it and you don't. [Mod Edit]

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Ardwulf

If by "defend the gold cap" you mean that I said what the cap actually is, rather than what you said it was, then guilty as charged, I guess.

I didnt say the gold cap was anything. You are both wrong actually, its 20 gold per level, a total of 18 platinum at level 90. for silver, not sure what bronze is. But what I said was spot on, thats too low to buy anything worthwhile. Even mastercrafted will set you back more.

One thing that has been left out of the discussion so far is that there are only two servers currently, one of them almost totally empty. It really won't take tons and tons of people to hugely bolster the population of the existing servers. Maybe they'l need to add new servers (which would be nice, because lots of people would like to see the return of the FFA PvP server) and maybe they won't, but the bar is really very low right now. The idea that 500K people would magically start playing Vanguard if it became totally free in every way is preposterous. Now 50k? That's totally plausible, even if Vanguard ends up using the exact same model that EQ2 does. And that would be something like 10 times as many players as the game currently has. The two existing servers would be waist-deep in players.

If they follow the EQ1 / EQ2 model they will just get a boost for a few months while people level then back down to slightly higher than pre-F2P once they realise its the usual SoE crap of segmenting players and blocking content / character progression with a brick wall. If they did a decent F2P model there would be much more interest. People dont mind buying appearance gear, convenience items and mounts, but SoE just just takes the piss. They create barriers and then charge to unlock them.

I think Aion is a dreadful game, so no matter how attractive their model is, that argument falls on deaf ears for me. However, you are basically taking NCSoft's word for how their untried model will work and evolve at face value while criticizing SOE for how you presume their model will work. PLus you've parrotted a byunch of stuff that's flatly false. So you will pardon me, therefore, for not taking what you say very seriously, and for dismissing you as a naysayer.

Also, incidentally, the Aion model relies on cheap Asian labor to produce tons of art assets for cosmetic items, which is not an option SOE can pursue to the same extent.

What exactly did I say that was false? Anyone with a brain can see what a rip off SoE F2P is, so excuse me if I would like to see Vanguard actually succeed, rather than follow the footsteps of EQ2. Even if you dont like Aion, look at any other F2P game to see a better model than SoE. Aion just has the best of the bunch.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by Ardwulf

Originally posted by ste2000

I am not lying at all, you should be more honest with yourself and the rest of the community.

1) 2 Gold per level is nothing since any high lvl piece of gear which is somehow useful costs well above your Gold cap, and whoever played EQ2 intensively like I did can tell you that.

2) Yes you can buy from the AH, theoretically.............problem is you do not have enough money to buy a shit (remember the gold restriction mentioned above?), and definetly you are not allowed to sell. So no, you can't use the AH

3) You can only use the Adept Scrolls, not the Masters  which  are the ones required for high lvl dungeons and raids

4) Apart the impossibility to buy good gear on the AH, you cannot wear an Epic piece of equipment even if you had it by mistake, automatically keeping you out of high lvl dungeons and Raids

5) You can use only Guild Chat and /say, which alienate you from the Community

6) To access the latest content (dungeon/raids) you need to subscribe

See the previous post for more on the plat cap. If you plan to play "intensively," why should you not expect to pay something? I find your sense of entitlement facinating.

I said I USED to play intensively, and I already looked at the previous post and as I said that that's not enough to buy competitive gear, no matter how you twist it..

The limitations that I listed though, are required to play "normally", you don't need to be an hardcore player  in order to require those features.

The only way you can enjoy somewhat this so called F2P, is if you like to play solo and reroll frequently but you are not interested whatsoever to the End Game, in which case I ask, why you play MMOs at all.

I find fascinating the fact you don't understand something so simple, if you have to unlock features or content in order to compete as equals with other players, then it is not F2P...........it is a trial, an extended one but never than less a trial.

F2P games should give you the chance to compete as equal with any player by playing the game itself, of course who uses the cash shop has the chance to level faster or get the best equipment sooner by buying it.............but the free player is not stopped from getting it by playing the game, it will just take longer to acquire the items.

That's how real F2P works and that's why they are so popular in Asia and make tons of money.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by ste2000

The only way you can enjoy somewhat this so called F2P, is if you like to play solo and reroll frequently but you are not interested whatsoever to the End Game, in which case I ask, why you play MMOs at all.

This is the point that SoE and it's defenders fail to grasp.

You are free to play the game, just don't expect to be desirable for groups or anything that makes a MMO worth playing.

No way in hell would I ever have grouped with a F2P player when I was playing EQ2. The gimpness would have been an instant fail.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

The personal argument is over - back on topic please.

• KnuppsKnupps Member Posts: 46

Vanguard will officially adopt a f2p model similar to other SoE f2p titles, such as eq1/eq2.

In this aspect, you should know that SoEs so called "f2p" mmorpgs (eq1/eq2) are NOT f2p at all. I have absolutely no idea why every1 is referring to these games as f2p titles.

If it was f2p, then there wouldn't be such drastic restrictions in every aspect - 4/16 races, 4/16 classes, very low spell ranks, limitations on AA, guild limitations, strong limitation on chat functions, strong limitation on max gold/character, the list goes on...

basically, it's a DEMO of the game. similar to a trial - but unlike other MMOs, not restricted to time or a max level but instead to drastic limitations of game mechanics. every1 who knows eq1/eq2 is aware that you just won't get too far with a f2p account.

Guild Wars is a f2p title. But EQ1 and EQ2 are subscription based games with a monthly fee period.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

This is the game's last best shot.  If this don't revive it, nothing will.

I just hope they do it right.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Knupps

Vanguard will officially adopt a f2p model similar to other SoE f2p titles, such as eq1/eq2.

In this aspect, you should know that SoEs so called "f2p" mmorpgs (eq1/eq2) are NOT f2p at all. I have absolutely no idea why every1 is referring to these games as f2p titles.

If it was f2p, then there wouldn't be such drastic restrictions in every aspect - 4/16 races, 4/16 classes, very low spell ranks, limitations on AA, guild limitations, strong limitation on chat functions, strong limitation on max gold/character, the list goes on...

basically, it's a DEMO of the game. similar to a trial - but unlike other MMOs, not restricted to time or a max level but instead to drastic limitations of game mechanics. every1 who knows eq1/eq2 is aware that you just won't get too far with a f2p account.

Guild Wars is a f2p title. But EQ1 and EQ2 are subscription based games with a monthly fee period.

You fail to grasp the point. For many people it's not the sub that's the problem with Vanguard (for me it isn't). The problem is the population. I would instantly start playing the game if the population was okay. Hopefully by going F2P the game's population will rise to a level that makes the game at least playable.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by Robsolf

This is the game's last best shot.  If this don't revive it, nothing will.

I just hope they do it right.

Or the best last shot. Because this is the last shot, there's no doubt about that. Without this move, I'd have said Vanguard could eke out another couple of years, tops. I predicted not so long ago on this very board that it would get sunsetted some time around the EQNext launch.

Now, who knows what will happen? It's an example of how uncertainty is actually a good thing sometimes, because Vanguard has a shot again.

Originally posted by fivoroth

You fail to grasp the point. For many people it's not the sub that's the problem with Vanguard (for me it isn't). The problem is the population. I would instantly start playing the game if the population was okay. Hopefully by going F2P the game's population will rise to a level that makes the game at least playable.

Totally and exactly right. Just the additional influx of people will hugely improve a game whose biggest problem now is the lack of population. To a rough approximation subs tend to triple when a game makes this kind of change. Not revenue, subscriptions. And the total number of players tend to go up about tenfold.

This is why the people saying "this isn't really free to play, it's just a different kind of trial" are missing the point even while they may be right in all the essential facts and in criticizing the particulars of the model. Removing the barrier to entry gets people to try the game who otherwise would have balked at the limits of a conventional trial or at buying a box and potentially losing access after 30 days. Some of them, inevitably, come to the conclusion that "hey, this game is actually pretty cool." And they subscribe if they want to be serious players, or occasionally buy stuff from the store if they're more casual. More players equals a visibly healthier game and more people sticking with what suddenly seems like a viable title after all. This effect could be especially pronounced in a game like Vanguard, both becuase of its specific need for more people and becuase the current population of the game is so very low.

There are also, shall we say, many fans of Vanguard among the bloggers and people writing for MMO news sites. When this goes live it's going to get way more press that you'd expect given the current tiny player base.

• ColumbiaTrueColumbiaTrue Member Posts: 47

I'll be back.  I like this game. Always hve. I look forward to my return.

"The truth is EA lies." - Youtube User

Sim City. Everquest. Civilization. Dungeon Keeper. Vampire: The Masquerade. These are the games that I love and cherish.

• dogdersROCdogdersROC Member UncommonPosts: 21

I will probably visit to see if my characters are still there, but I dont have any hopes for this game. It was a big sham from the start and a moneypit for the developers. You could see their intentions in design but they fell far short. It was also the first game that openly lied on the retail box included content. The bugs were astronomical, the world lacked variety in tilesets, the armor was the ugliest ive ever seen and never matched. They just didnt have enough graphics behind this. When they had their crafting nerf a few months after release that allowed every doofus to level in a weekend, I quit. Ah hell, I just talked myself out of returning lol.

• manowar88manowar88 Member UncommonPosts: 85

nice!!! iam back=) now i hoppfully have players to play whit. it was The only risen i quit the game

x1muft.png

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

-Good luck Vangard- I wish you well. Truly I think Vangard could have been something pretty special.

I like the game and think the community is TOP NOTCH (or at least it was 4 years ago) but I cannot ever, in a sound state of mind- Have ANYTHING to do with SOE again. 

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Well this had to happen SOE will either save it or break it,and with their track record well you never know,but this will indeed boost the population and bring in new blood,but the changes need to not alienate the guys and gals that kept the ship afloat,when SOE decided to jump ship for over a year and leave VG adrift and oarless for so long. image

p>
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Don't get your hopes up too much thinking there will be a large influx of gamers.  Vanguard is a pretty hardcore game, even more so than the original EQ.  Combat is pretty harsh and soloing is a pain in the ass.  So far, EQ's F2P launch has only been mildly successful as it too has only so much appeal to the casual market and there aren't nearly as many hardcores to go around and be pulled from games like EQ2, AoC, Darkfall, WoW raiding and the various asian grinders.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Don't get your hopes up too much thinking there will be a large influx of gamers.  Vanguard is a pretty hardcore game, even more so than the original EQ.  Combat is pretty harsh and soloing is a pain in the ass.  So far, EQ's F2P launch has only been mildly successful as it too has only so much appeal to the casual market and there aren't nearly as many hardcores to go around and be pulled from games like EQ2, AoC, Darkfall, WoW raiding and the various asian grinders.

Somewhat true, but remember that EQ's graphics look like complete dogshit.  Most modern MMO gamers just can't deal with that kind of old school look.  I know I never gave EQ a second thought once it went F2P for the simple fact that the game LOOKS terrible.  Now Vanguard, on the other hand, is still a beautiful-looking game, so it can still appeal to the modern gamer, particularly one that is tired of the standard themepark treadmill.  And the thing is, Vanguard still has some of those themepark elements, so the game won't be completely alien to themeparkers wanting a litle more challenge.  

Beautiful environments

Massive, open world

Completely seamless with zero instancing

Complex and robust crafting that is levelled separately from adventuring

Challenging content that encourages grouping

Lots of classes, lots of races

Honestly, this is the  perfect move for Vanguard.   My only reservations about the game are that the combat is a bit dull and the character models look pretty bad.  But neither is enough to keep me from giving the game a very serious try when it goes F2P.  The only thing it's currently missing is population and content updates.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Has an ardent fan of Vanguard i really hope it works out for the better.but  you cant help feel sony have left it way to late..when lotro went f2p that should have been the right time to make it f2p.

problem is everyone is getting on board with f2p so communities are so spread out.the only saving grace for this game is the fact that in this game oyu dont get purple items handed to you on a plate every 2 seconds.only time will tell but i will be there as always.would'nt miss this for the world.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Do we have an estimated date ?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

Originally posted by dogdersROC

I will probably visit to see if my characters are still there, but I dont have any hopes for this game. It was a big sham from the start and a moneypit for the developers. You could see their intentions in design but they fell far short. It was also the first game that openly lied on the retail box included content. The bugs were astronomical, the world lacked variety in tilesets, the armor was the ugliest ive ever seen and never matched. They just didnt have enough graphics behind this. When they had their crafting nerf a few months after release that allowed every doofus to level in a weekend, I quit. Ah hell, I just talked myself out of returning lol.

What did they lie about? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its not true, just curious.

On another note I can for example mention certain mmorpgs(before vanguard) that have x and y mentioned in their manual, but that was not included in the game.  Even the big bad wolf did that.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Do we have an estimated date ?

They say summer time, that could be mid summer or the ends of summer. My guess would be ends of summer but hopefully i am wrong.

• RedrumerRedrumer Member UncommonPosts: 13

I've always wanted to play vanguard, but never got around due to bad press about launch and population. Looking forward to finally playing it, and I can't be the only one.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Looking forward to coming back. I never did get to make a boat..

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

For all those who have been saying "if only VG had a population I would support it", well F2P this year is your chance to show & prove.

Let's be realistic:

• Yes the animations are clunky.

• I think the spell gfx are quite underwhelming.

• There are some animation glitches for some mobs still there.

But at the same time this is it. The days of REAL MMORPGs are coming to an end and people are paying for basically lobby games with single-player experiences guised under the ruse of a MMORPG. All these new games are about instant gratification. VG has epic dungeons, amazing PVE, crafting, flying mounts, boats, diplomacy mini-game, immense number of unique classes, lots of starting areas for alt-aholics and a wonderful community.

Give it a real chance, please. Instead of going into the game looking for something wrong, try to just enjoy yourself and help bring back the game that "should've been." IF enough support is shown the developers will take notice and only good things can come of this. Let's face it we all have been game hopping like madmen as of late, we are constantly looking for that game that makes us feel like if it was our first MMO. It's almost impossible.

But a great PVE game is out there, it is called VG, and it is worth a shot. It is not going to be a ridiculously easy game, but it will be fun, and together we can actually bring back that "first MMO" game feeling. VG has all the right tools for this, including immense open world exploration, variety of classes and races, large number of customization options, and enough quests to satisfy even the most hardened themepark player. And if quests aren't your thing, NO problem there is enough dungeon crawling content to appease your diablo-esque taste.

This is our chance to bring back a game that has REAL world exploration, a game that has actual gameplay that IS challenging and not catered to the whiners, and with enough support they WILL bring back the PVP server. It is in our hands not theirs. If enough people vote with their support AND/OR wallets we can steer the direction VG takes and FINALLY have an old school gameplay experience with some decent graphics. The world graphics till this day still look better than most f2p games out there, that's a fact.

So let's band together, forget all the recent nonsense of big AAA MMOs that failed to live up to their expectations. Let's take it back to VG and show everyone how a REAL MMO functions: great community, challenging experiences, huge open worlds (SAY NO TO INSTANCES), lots of variety in gameplay, unique class design, and a variety of races/starting areas. These are some of the little things these new developers seem to forget. They are too busy chasing the $$ and no longer care for the longevity and community in a game. Let's show them how its done.