Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Creation Kit for Skyrim is rather awesome

Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

So, I have a custom race that I love a lot. However it has a nasty bug in it that makes an arrow firing sound play randomly when doing most of anything. I went in and tried to re-create the mod, and the arrow sound went away. I learned a lot of how a race works in the creation kit, even if I didn't make any of the assets. I got really close to getting it, but couldn't finish it in the end. I spent 15 hours on it over a course of two days, and two long nights. It was tons of fun. I guess creating (even if it is just re-creating) a race isn't the best thing to start with, according to other people. Especially if it is a more advanced race.

So today I've spent the past couple hours learning how to get custom hairs to show up on various races. It was a lot easier than re-creating the race, but took some messing around. It took about an hour to figure it out, but I'll probably forget after I wake up tomorrow. :P

Even if what I'm doing isn't that advanced...gotta start somewhere. And its tons of fun. I'm really enjoying messing around with the creation kit. If I stick with it, I bet I can make some rather awesome stuff.

Any of you messed with the creation kit at all? Whats your experience with it?

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I bought Skyrim about a month or so ago, I simply didn't have time for it in my life when it came out and decided to wait and try to get it on the cheap.

Anyways, since I've bought it I still haven't really had that much time to play the game. I have in fact spent much more time in the creation kit.

I'm having a blast with it. So far I've just played with level design mostly. Making castles, dungeons, etc.  It is fairly simple to use, although I have used "better" mod tools before. Unreal Engine stuff and Bioware tools come to mind immediately. 

There are some problems with it, bugs and errors and whatnot. But for the most part it seems to be working pretty well. 

I've been making little houses and cottages and stuff too. That's been pretty fun.

The UI is pretty annoying, but it does the job. Using duel monitors helps out a ton with that. I can't recommend using two monitors enough if you are going to spend a long time in this software. 

Maybe soon I'll actually get around to playing the game....

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Definitely agree, been working on an extensive mod myself for quite a few weeks now, have a faction, companions and a few quests in it thus far. Great tool to work with and very easy to figure out. Love it.

Edit- now that I  think about it, anyone interested in doing some voice work let me know, Have plenty of characters that need a unique voice, which I've been laying down myself, it works but I'd love a little uniqueness to the tones, while I can do different voices I suck ay doing different tones. Plus some are female haha.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Ive tried a little but ive no time wish i had more time it seems awesome building mods maybe one day i hope.

I build maps for Soldiers of fortune 2 but had alot more time back then.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

this is one main reasons ive never  go to the end off morrowwind  i  spent more time messing with the mod tools .

once you get in to it and figger it out  time  just flys buy .. as for the skyrim one  not had time to get to use it   cant wait to see what i can build