Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impressions of the Free to Play Weekend

2»

Comments

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331

Originally posted by Slampig

I had no impressions. I downloaded the game and was excited to try it out, but alas, when I fired it up, my screen went blank and said something along the lines of, "Input not supported".

After letting out a sigh I just uninstalled the game and continued with my evening. 

Working as intended.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

I had no impressions. I downloaded the game and was excited to try it out, but alas, when I fired it up, my screen went blank and said something along the lines of, "Input not supported".

After letting out a sigh I just uninstalled the game and continued with my evening. 

Maybe u should update your computer. Im sorry but ive had tor since beta on my computer and ive never had this issue, my gf never had this issue so i really dont understand why u would , unless its your comp.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Man, i wish my computer would have died right before i loaded the game. I then could have went back and got my refund for the game. Best to stay away, far far away.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by kalinis

Maybe u should update your computer. Im sorry but ive had tor since beta on my computer and ive never had this issue, my gf never had this issue so i really dont understand why u would , unless its your comp.

The entire point of my post was that in the end I didn't really care if the game had worked or not. I just couldn't get excited about it. The same thing happened with Star Trek online when that went free-to-play and that was promptly uninstalled and I went to my various other games.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Sounds like Divine Intervention to me

"And the Lord commanded thou shalt not play SWTOR for it doth suck" Exodus 9:3

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by MurlockDance

Originally posted by GMan3

Actually, I see his argument as a fairly valid one.  The simple fact is that in only a few hours it is very hard to learn the ins and outs of ANY game, especially an MMO.  Longer play allows for more indepth understanding of the mechanics and how they interact.  So finding fault with the amount of time played by this OP really isn't all that unusual.  Now if the guy had played 30 hours or more, OR better yet gotten to level 30, than I would agree with you Rocketeer.

Uhm, 30/50 levels has nothing to do with new player experiences. Don't talk rubbish. New player experience = first 10 or 15 so levels + starting areas + tutorial + whatever crack the devs throw at you to try to hook you. It is no coincidence that the first 15 or so levels in most themeparks are easy, fun, flashy, and cool, and the tutorial has to be cool too.  

It is obvious a four-day weekend is not meant to be one during which someone levels a character to max level, or even to level 30. Perhaps some people did, but I bet a lot of people did what I did and tried several characters to see what story and what abilities they liked most.

Instead of throwing red herring arguments to try to discredit my OP why don't we talk about the free to play weekend itself, which is what my thread is about?

Since I had only two days to play, as I have no internet during the week, there is no way in hell I was going to be playing 30 hours (15 hours/day, wtf ??).

Rubbish?  You are the one that invested almost nothing into something and are disappointed when you got nothing out of it.  Like most kids nowadays, you seem to want to world, yet are not willing to pay your dues to get it.  There was absolutely no "red herring" arguments in my post, in fact your defensive reply contains them all. 

I simply stated that with so little time in the game, you barely had the opportunity to see how a character plays, let alone how the story works, how Flash Points play, how Operations mechanics work, etc . . .   Heck, just concidering it takes about 8 - 10 hours to get to level 10 if you are actually watching the story unfold, it shows that you have even less experience than I previously thought since you "tried several characters to see what story and what abilities they liked most ".  That is the problem with these kinds of weekends though, they give you a taste, but not the true flavor and in your case not even really that.  Not that I blame you, I would want to see as much as possible too, but I would have at least stuck to one or two characters to do so.  Something to keep in mind, the story for most characters doesn't even start to get engrossing until level 15-ish.  They are good before that, but you are really only in the prologue until then.

As I said before, I really feel the previous posters argument that you had not played enough to get a real understanding of the game is valid.  Notice that I never said (previously) that your opinion was invalid, I simple inferred that it was based on little actual play time and therefore should be viewed in that light.  Now that I see you admit to playing several characters in very few hours (12?  Seriously?), I have to wonder if you even got the slightest idea of what the game is.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by musicmann

Not to be a bearer of bad news but really every class in the end plays out pretty much the same. Yes, the story from the get go kinda sucks you in and Bioware did a decent job making you believe that somehow your decisions really mean something to your character, they really don't by the way. Bioware knows that TOR is just different enough with it's story, story and more story, that they hope to hook you in by the first 8 to 10 levels. I say, in my opinion, just say no and save your money, but, i also believe that everyone should make that decision on their own. I got a good month and a half out of the game and i still feel like i was cheated being a SW fan and all, and that's really the thing about it. If this game didn't have the SW IP attached to it, i believe it would have already been shutdown.

So getting different quests based on the decisions you make in your quest dialogue doesn't make a difference?  NPC's reacting to you differently based on your Light Side / Dark Side Alignment doesn't make a difference?  Frankly, while I do think this game needs more work (but then again all MMOs need more work), this is the first MMO I have found where your decisions actually matter.  No more with only "Yes, I will take the mission" or "No, I am not interested at this time".  Now I actually have a reason, not just in my head but in game as well, as to why I am taking the mission based on how I want my character to play.  Pretty nifty if you ask me and much better than pretty much any other MMO released in the last 8 years.

If you were disappointed, maybe it is because you expected way too much.  Seems to be a pretty common problem on these forums for almost every game.  Can't wait to see the whining when some of these new "uber games" come out and people got themselves too hyped for those as well.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I decided to give ToR a shot and a small break to playing WoW this weekend and share my impressions so far.

First a small introduction of myself : I am a fan of MMORPGs and have been since 2001 when I started in EQ1. Though I prefer the older generation of MMOs up to 2004, I keep an open mind to changes.

I would also say that I was a major fan of Bioware's back in the BG series and NWN series days. I played all of the older games except Jade Empire. Recently, I have played fewer of their games mainly because I did not enjoy DA that much and I dislike how Origin works. I haven't played ME2/3 or DA2.

I am also a moderate fan of Star Wars having really loved the first three films that were released when I was a kid, and I enjoyed KoToR, and SWG on top of many other SW games. I was really hyped up about ToR a few years ago until I found out that it was all going to be about the story. I then felt a lot more negative and decided to give this game a miss until it would shave off some of its initial price.

So, I went into this trial week not having very high expectations. I still wanted to see what it was all about though, because I like following the industry and such.

I will start with the conclusion first in case people want to skip most of my post. The game to me really seems to be a mixed bag and I am still on the fence about it. I feel better about the game now than I did going in, so I am glad I have tried it. Will I get it? I am not sure. I could see myself playing it for a month or two, but I feel that it is not really worth the subscription they ask for it.

Now to some specifics. I got in yesterday and leveled a cyborg Bounty Hunter to 10 on a PvE server. I am using the French client but rolled on an English European server. I am only checking out the PvE portion of the game. I mainly soloed but did group up once.

Downsides :

Right off the bat, I would say the very long download is perhaps the worst part of my experience so far. It took me half a day with a 300+ kb/sec connection. When they only give you four days to trial the game, this is quite considerable time lost. In my case, I only have 2 days to trial the game because I have no internet during the work week. I think BW should have released a smaller and/or a streaming client option for this weekend. I don't personally see why a weekend trial necessitates a 12 gig download, since people just getting into the game will most likely not get past a certain point. It shows to me some lack of preparation on their part.

Storyline, though it has some positive elements to it. The game is just so ridiculously on rails. I thought WoW was bad, but at least some times you still have to find quest hubs while running from one point of interest to another, there are still some hidden quests, and Blizzard does not mark doors or the like in green in the gameworld to show where you have to go next. The latter part I found broke immersion completely. The storyline makes grouping up choppier in the sense that you have to wait for dialogue to finish for other players (or for yourself), you have to decide whose story you are working on if you have limited time, etc. I also do not like at all the way that storyline areas block a second person of the same class on your team from being able to go in. What is the reason for that decision?? Also some of the side quests are directly regurgitated from ME. I was wondering which game I was playing at times.

Upsides :

Atmosphere, at least at low levels, is really good. It felt like an updated KoToR and the artwork picks up where the latter game left off. I am glad for that. The music is also really good, and helps add to the starwarsy feel. Despite my gripes with some really bad dubbing, the voice overs are a nice addition. Overall the French translation is excellent. Animations are really not bad for a Western MMO.

The game engine is very, very smooth. I encountered no bugs at all with the actual gameplay and I thought my laptop would not run the game very well, but it actually does, and that at 60 fps in most places. The client is also stable. I tested  the game for over 12 hours (not all of it at my keyboard) and there seemed to be no memory leaks, no hiccups, no crashes, etc. This game is just as stable as WoW and Rift...the two games I deem the most stable in the MMO industry.

UI, which might be a surprise since a lot of people hate it. It is ergonomic and less in-your-face than in some games. I actually like it and got used to it pretty much within a couple minutes of play. The fact that ToR uses the standard controls is good, if not great for a sci-fi game that does a lot of shooting.

Storyline is also a positive. I like the BH storyline, it is well-done and fitting. It is typical BW fare, but considering how many classes there are and each one has their own story at first, I find that there is some replay value (as long as you are fairly casual). I don't know for how long this lasts, as I have noted some posts say that the story grows boring at higher levels so I am guessing that it isn't for very long, which is a pity since I do not at the moment see what else brings longetivity to this game.

Moderate :

Combat is fine... it seems pretty generic and I don't really have much to say. If people are ok with WoW's and Rift's, they should be ok with ToR's. I did notice that in PvE you have to fight groups from early on. I might comment on this if I have more time later on since I just picked up the Mercenary specialized class.

Crafting seems ok and I like that it is handled differently from other games as far as the acquisition of materials goes. I need to try it out some more so I will comment on it later if I have the time.

Class progression and the feel of the BH class are just meh. I don't find the way the BH plays as compelling as classes in EQ2, WoW, VG, DAoC, etc.

yea no offence but this seems like an " Let me get my review on mmorpg" than a serious review. By the way you should really play Me2 and 3 fantastic games

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by //\//\oo

Originally posted by MosesZD

Two things:

1.  The starter areas are, in many respects, the most polished and diverse areas of SWTOR, as well as most MMOs.   Developers quite understand that first impressions count and set the tone for the rest of the game. 

2.   What you do in any starter area is pretty much what you're going to do for every character on every planet level 1-50.   You won't, despite all the skills, ever really branch-out into complex combat, but will find the one or two GCD timer attacks that give you the best dps and you supplement with a knock-back and rage/heat/ammo skill to keep your dps potential up.

Bounty Hunter, Commando, Vanguard, IA, Smuggler, Jedi, Sith....    It was all the same.    Well over a score of worthless/unused/barely-used abilities clogging up my UI and a half-dozen (including heals and knockbacks) that I used.   Not because I wanted to be in a rut.  But because there was no stratagy to the fighting.    It just didn't matter.   The difference between a high-level raid boss fight and a set-piece 3-trash mobs single-player instane was pretty much just time and hit points.  

Yes, the COMBAT is what makes the game so awful. When your DPS is optimized by mashing one button when a bar is full (with a very rare and situational use of your other abilities) and hitting another when it isn't, you've got a very bad GAME on your hands.

SWToR got the MMORP right, they just fucked up the G part royally.

Hmmm we must be playing 2 different games, I have played many mmo's and the combat in SWTOR is fine , the animations very good, the only combat I found better was AOC

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Not to be a bearer of bad news but really every class in the end plays out pretty much the same. Yes, the story from the get go kinda sucks you in and Bioware did a decent job making you believe that somehow your decisions really mean something to your character, they really don't by the way. Bioware knows that TOR is just different enough with it's story, story and more story, that they hope to hook you in by the first 8 to 10 levels. I say, in my opinion, just say no and save your money, but, i also believe that everyone should make that decision on their own. I got a good month and a half out of the game and i still feel like i was cheated being a SW fan and all, and that's really the thing about it. If this game didn't have the SW IP attached to it, i believe it would have already been shutdown.

So getting different quests based on the decisions you make in your quest dialogue doesn't make a difference?  NPC's reacting to you differently based on your Light Side / Dark Side Alignment doesn't make a difference?  Frankly, while I do think this game needs more work (but then again all MMOs need more work), this is the first MMO I have found where your decisions actually matter.  No more with only "Yes, I will take the mission" or "No, I am not interested at this time".  Now I actually have a reason, not just in my head but in game as well, as to why I am taking the mission based on how I want my character to play.  Pretty nifty if you ask me and much better than pretty much any other MMO released in the last 8 years.

If you were disappointed, maybe it is because you expected way too much.  Seems to be a pretty common problem on these forums for almost every game.  Can't wait to see the whining when some of these new "uber games" come out and people got themselves too hyped for those as well.

Are you kidding me. Doesn't matter what you choose, in the end you will still need to kill whomever to gain the title of either Darth or Master. Every class has pretty much the same style ending. My Sith Warrior's ending had me kill my former master who was trying to become the Emperor's voice. My jedi Consular has a story about finding some Stih Lord that is using the force that is making jedi masters ill. Doesn't matter what i choose, at the end of the story, i will have to face my enemy. The same goes for the light / dark side points. On my sith i am Dark 5 or whatever and there's no difference other than some of the weapons or clothing i can or can't use.

There's nothing about this game that really gives you choice, it's all an illusion. At the end of the day, like i said, if there were no SW IP attached to this game, it would have been shutdown by now. Bioware is trying to sell this game still as a mmorpg and it's just not. The game is a ok SPRPG with coop features at best.

Also, you can go back and look up my posting history on these forums. I never hyped the game nor put myself in the position to expect way to much as you put it. I always stood firm that Bioware from the information that was be given, was gonna deliver a top notch mmorpg. The problem is, they kept information so locked up, what they made the game out to be is not what they delivered in my opinion. I started in the early access on Dec 13th and leveled my first 50 in a month and a half. I stepped out from my personal story and did everything the game had to offer. At the end of the road, i sat back and realized that i just played a new KOTOR game because that's what it felt like, a SPG not a real mmorpg.

Since i can't post anymore on the official TOR forums anymore, why don't you fo over there and look at all the people who feel the same way that i do. It's filled with threads about how boring the game is, or the story really isn't that great in a mmo and such. Yea, i'm disappointed, that for sure. I am a huge SW fan that has had two different dev companies screw over the SW IP. One that ruined SWG with the dumbass NGE and the other that had all the money and produced a SPG that has about as much depth and mmo features as the water in the game itself.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Believe me Gman3, I can't WAIT for GW2 to come out. Those fanboys have been the most obnoxious towards TOR, talking about how it's going to kill TOR and how GW2 is all that and a bag of chips. Can't wait to see the big let down when their console pay to win game isn't the great giant killer that they have hyped it up to be. :)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331

Originally posted by ktanner3

Believe me Gman3, I can't WAIT for GW2 to come out. Those fanboys have been the most obnoxious towards TOR, talking about how it's going to kill TOR and how GW2 is all that and a bag of chips. Can't wait to see the big let down when their console pay to win game isn't the great giant killer that they have hyped it up to be. :)

So... You want the opportunity to poke fun at the fanboys for GW2 when it is released? Do you have a list of people or something because that would be weird.

I personally do not feel any online game needs to be released to kill TOR... It's dead already. /shrug. Bummer.

I can't expect GW2 to be any different than any other Sandbox/Theme park "online game" since WoW or the original Guild Wars mostly because they are generally the same game anyway.

What I am hoping for is developers to stop degeneratively developing online crapfests and labeling them MMORPGs, and instead, build real MMORPGs.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

it seems you all swtor fanbois forgot how swtor was going to rip WoWs heart off its chest and stick it to its butt....  see the results... -------> image

edit: you know taht is a neverending trend where every upcoming mmo will kill the previous one and so on...The difference with GW2 is theres no sub and no pay to win. B2P all the way. Dont like it dont play it, be happy with feeding BW / EA 15 a month + 60 a box and perhaps the same for future expacs.... did i say 15 a month? and dont forget online paid services and cash shop i bet you a carrot they will add those in the future.

• HestiaHestia Member UncommonPosts: 119

I am very happy.

That it was a trial.

I wasted my whole 20->30 minutes playing this game. I went in, okay the begining cutscenes on both the Empire and Republic were pretty sweet, but the game itself is incredibly poorly built. The gameplay is super boring, I was falling asleep. I could seriously attack and kill these mobs without even looking at my screen - BORING! I felt like it was WoW, with lightsabers + better graphics. Huge disappointment. Voice acting is cool, but not worth my 70/80 bucks.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Rubbish?  You are the one that invested almost nothing into something and are disappointed when you got nothing out of it.  Like most kids nowadays, you seem to want to world, yet are not willing to pay your dues to get it.  There was absolutely no "red herring" arguments in my post, in fact your defensive reply contains them all. 

I simply stated that with so little time in the game, you barely had the opportunity to see how a character plays, let alone how the story works, how Flash Points play, how Operations mechanics work, etc . . .   Heck, just concidering it takes about 8 - 10 hours to get to level 10 if you are actually watching the story unfold, it shows that you have even less experience than I previously thought since you "tried several characters to see what story and what abilities they liked most ".  That is the problem with these kinds of weekends though, they give you a taste, but not the true flavor and in your case not even really that.  Not that I blame you, I would want to see as much as possible too, but I would have at least stuck to one or two characters to do so.  Something to keep in mind, the story for most characters doesn't even start to get engrossing until level 15-ish.  They are good before that, but you are really only in the prologue until then.

As I said before, I really feel the previous posters argument that you had not played enough to get a real understanding of the game is valid.  Notice that I never said (previously) that your opinion was invalid, I simple inferred that it was based on little actual play time and therefore should be viewed in that light.  Now that I see you admit to playing several characters in very few hours (12?  Seriously?), I have to wonder if you even got the slightest idea of what the game is.

What do you not understand about impressions and free weekend trial? I am not implying that my OP was a review of the entire game. In a free weekend trial, in which you have maximum four days to try it, you will not have a huge amount of time to play the game and experience everything it has to offer. Hence, my OP, as I have been stating on and on in this thread, is exclusively about the weekend TRIAL. I actually ended up playing 18 hours total, which is not bad for a 2 day weekend. Got it? And if you didn't, well tough, because I am not going to reply to you anymore. This is a red herring and thread derailer.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

The entire point of my post was that in the end I didn't really care if the game had worked or not. I just couldn't get excited about it. The same thing happened with Star Trek online when that went free-to-play and that was promptly uninstalled and I went to my various other games.

Hmm, sorry to hear you had that problem. Did you try relaunching it several times? Did you hit esc to get out of the first video so that you could at least get to the character creation screen?  Is your graphics card driver up-to-date?

I am surprised you went through the entire download if you were not really that interested in the game in the first place. I know you said in your first post that you were excited to try it out, but seems like from your second post that you weren't really. Oh well... but thanks for posting in my thread.

The choice system, to get light or dark points, is intriguing, but at such early stages, I can't say how much impact it has on gameplay. I thought it was a good idea though.

I will never pretend to know how great the classes are, or how great the light/dark system is. I thought the class specialisation was cool though. The newly announced Legacy system should be cool too in adding some more customisation, even if it is just fluff at first or has only a limited effect on gameplay. I think they need to flesh out these aspects more. One gripe I did have from the trial is that the game really didn't seem that social, or community-based, and I believe that as this is an MMORPG based in the world of one of the most famous and popular IPs, that it is a critical aspect that BW needs to work on.

To me a month and a half is pretty indicative that the game doesn't have long-term appeal, though my criteria might be biased since I am an old schooler that can spend years in one game if I like it. Does this game actually have any long-term goals outside of gearing up?

Edit - I will say though what I said before: the BH seemed really sluggish and lacklustre even with 2 levels of Mercenary on her. The Jedi knight was much funner out-of-the-box. I know that it takes time for classes to get going, but again, looking at WoW and EQ2, the classes are fun right away. In fact, ToR seems to have the problem that EQ2 initially had with lots of abilities that seem to do the same thing, so why put all of them in your hotbar? EQ2 needed a skill revamp to balance that out so perhaps ToR will need one down the road.

• MckiedizMckiediz Member Posts: 48

What do you not understand about impressions and free weekend trial? I am not implying that my OP was a review of the entire game. In a free weekend trial, in which you have maximum four days to try it, you will not have a huge amount of time to play the game and experience everything it has to offer. Hence, my OP, as I have been stating on and on in this thread, is exclusively about the weekend TRIAL. I actually ended up playing 18 hours total, which is not bad for a 2 day weekend. Got it? And if you didn't, well tough, because I am not going to reply to you anymore. This is a red herring and thread derailer.

Class progression and the feel of the BH class are just meh. I don't find the way the BH plays as compelling as classes in EQ2, WoW, VG, DAoC, etc.

Then you are comparing a 18 hours progression of the BH to fully evolved classes from other games, Am I right? 

What the difference between Swtor Classes and other classes from other games? Their story driven progression for the most part. 

Originally posted by Mckiediz

Then you are comparing a 18 hours progression of the BH to fully evolved classes from other games, Am I right? 

What the difference between Swtor Classes and other classes from other games? Their story driven progression for the most part. 

No, I am comparing ToR classes to other games' classes at comparable level. A level 12 Mercenary and level 10 Jedi knight to say a level 10 Warrior in WoW or level 10 Necro in EQ2.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by Mckiediz

No, I am comparing ToR classes to other games' classes at comparable level. A level 12 Mercenary and level 10 Jedi knight to say a level 10 Warrior in WoW or level 10 Necro in EQ2.

At lvl 10 in WoW you have only played to 1/8th the level cap as where in SWTOR you have played 1/5th of cap. While you try to compaer the 2 equally they are not. IN terms of years of development of those 2 games TOR is an infant where WoW is almost at retirement age, again not quite a fair comparison to either game.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Seriously. It was no surprise what SWTOR will be. Just another WoWesque MMO that gets boring pretty fast.

It's the same for all those themepark-MMOs with level-based progression-systems. You level up and then you go raiding until you've got all your gear, after which point you're left with nothing else to do. Grinding faction-standings or valor are not helping there at all to make endgame more interesting.

In WoW:TBC it took me 14 days to go from 1-70 and then an additional two month before I klilled Kil'jaeden and Illidan the first time. 3 month worth of gameplay alltogether. If we include farming the whole equipment dropped in BT and Sunwell we can add another 2-3 month.

In SWTOR it's no difference, just that it's a little bit faster due to less content. 1-50 in ten days and another 6 weeks before I killed Soa and Karagga in hardmode (yeah I know that's not as fast as possible, but I've leveled another two toons to LvL 50 inbetween). Now it's just running flashpoints and operations to get the other guild-members fully equipped, who don't have as much time to play.

So. If you can live with the fact, that all MMOs of this kind are good for some 3 month, then there's nothing to complain about them. They're simply not ment to be played longer then that if you're a somewhat competent player with more then only an hour a day to play the game.
    If you're playing with a group of buddies, you might stretch the game a little bit, but after six month maximum the game is just too boring to log in anymore.

Those who expected something else from SWTOR simply should've read the Dev-blog of the game before they started. They never said that the game would be any different to the other known themeparks, besides the voiceovers and cutscenes.

If you want something else then the known formula since EQ was released, you should stop playing themepark-MMOs and start looking for other ones.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by rojo6934

it seems you all swtor fanbois forgot how swtor was going to rip WoWs heart off its chest and stick it to its butt....  see the results... -------> image

Good luck finding a post of me saying anything close to that effect.

edit: you know taht is a neverending trend where every upcoming mmo will kill the previous one and so on...The difference with GW2 is theres no sub and no pay to winB2P all the way. Dont like it dont play it, be happy with feeding BW / EA 15 a month + 60 a box and perhaps the same for future expacs.... did i say 15 a month?

Yeah 15 dollars a month. Big deal. I wipe my butt with 15 dollars. If you can't afford a 15 dollar subscription then you should spend more time looking for a real job than messing around on message boards. But have fun with your piece of crap console game.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Played since launch (and several times through beta over the 2 years), I can say it's clearly going DOWN hill each patch, 1.2 looks good on paper but the class balance isn't really balancing the classes- they're making marauder even better (a class that can kill you from 100-0 health while having 20% health left) and nerf operatives which struggles badly in pve, it's so mind boggling. They're focusing more on pve and dumping away pvp which is going to push away all the pvpers that's paying a monthly subscription, this is all deja vu from Warhammer online again.

I'm no longer subbed, I don't really miss it to be honest, it's a great single player game but the pvp aspect is slowly fading away since most of the pvpers has left and waiting for Diablo 3 or GW2 and the remaining ones will leave sooner or later. Sad because BW months ago reported that nearly 50% of the game's population pvp's, are they actually TRYING to dump 50% of their playerbase?

This would've been a great game if it was KOTOR 3 (perhaps with online co-op quests/flashpoints) and not an MMO.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

The only MMO where my initial impression didn't match my later one was EvE, and thats arguably due to its sandbox nature and drastic mechanic changes depending on what you try to accomplish.

In a themepark however ...

I play my class for an hour, maybe to level 6. I look at the skills i have. I look at a site showing me what skills i will have at level 50 like torhead and compare them to my current ones to gauge their strength. Then i take a look at the talent trees and how they will affect my gameplay ... im done.

I don't need to experience midlevel F4A landscape pvp to gauge wether it will be fun or not, been there and done that many times. I already know i will enjoy it if it actually happens and the factions have something atleast approaching some vague form of balance. I also do not need to see instances, raids or pvp battlegrounds. I already know i like that kind of stuff and if you give me atleast some kind of variety and a couple of nice pals its hard to screw there on the fun factor.

But the basics must be there. My class needs to be fun, controls and combat need to be crisp and the artwork and animations appeal to my taste(this is obviously subjective, but that doesn't make it any less important). I also like to twink and i want mechanical variety between the classes i play so i can change it up when i get bored of one class. Ideally there should be many kinds of classes and there should be actual differences between them besides the animation of their generic_2.5_sec_nuke, generic_1.5_sec_mininuke, generic_3_sec_channeled and generic_instant_nuke&dot.

Giving every class a fully controllable pet ... i don't know. I loved my petclasses in other games, but they always where the ones i tired of first, switching to other more advanced or exciting classes(glasscannons or warrior types without selfhealing). Personally i think it was a bad design decision, not because i don't like it but because i liked it too much, it took the challange out of it and was imho badly implemented. They are not specialized enough if that makes sense, their base damage and survivability is to high and their specialization like healer or tank too weak.

Also, just for future reference ... it helps if the skills are not carbon copies of some other game. I mean that damage shield with 4 sec CD you could trait down to GCD with talents which induced some form of weakness debuff preventing you from reusing it on the same person again for half a min(among many others like this) ... thats like offering an abstinent alcoholic a soda with whiskey taste. Its not going to end pretty either way ...