Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard saga of heros is going F2P!!!!It`s offical, the link is here

Comments

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

Best MMO news I've heard in a long time :)  Once it hits, I'll definitely spend some time and money there.

• aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

Rhis is extremely good news, we'll see life breath to Vanguard :). Can't wait to play diplomacy system again !

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Torgrim

Vanguard is really a goldmine, if SOE can see that and start pumping out content/bugfixes even a x-pack or 2, it will flatten other mmos that came out for the past 4 years without a sweat.

No, it wouldnt, theres a difference between you liking a game and a game doing better than other games.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by Torgrim

Vanguard is really a goldmine, if SOE can see that and start pumping out content/bugfixes even a x-pack or 2, it will flatten other mmos that came out for the past 4 years without a sweat.

No, it wouldnt, theres a difference between you liking a game and a game doing better than other games.

There's little doubt that Vanguard is a good enough game to be doing a lot better than it's doing, but the overthrow talk ia just a little unwarranted. but I forgive his excess enthusiasm — I'm excited too.

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

Forgive my ignorance, but does this game have a working PvP system yet?

I might try it at F2P but if it is in this pure PvE sate, its not really my cup of tea though hopefully the anti-pvp crowd will have found their game.

Cheers

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by TweFoju

FINALLY!!! something that SOE did that might save this game!

but again..

why now? when all the big guns are coming out?

they should have done this 2 years ago so that the have enough fan base that got to like the game and stay with it

because now, with GW2 soon, Tera, and TSW and all those, i wonder how many people will stay with VG

although, i wish the best for VG because truthfully i love VG to death, it's 1 MMO that really stole my heart, my time, and my life

although i will be coming back during F2P to assist with new players, but hopefully after GW2 and all those are release, VG will still hold on

I can tell you why now.

SOE have seen the myriad of posts, feedback, critics talking about how the industry is bored of WOW clones and are just clamouring for a good sandbox with a more adult theme,   hell even the WOW crowd who where teens 8 year ago now want something more mature.

Do you build a game from scratch or do you simply bring more people to a game that IMO can more than hold its own in todays market provided the populace is there.

I for one will be straight back on my characters the day this goes F2P or hell even before if I hear reports that this news has brought some population back to the game.

Hell stuff it I'm going to have to track down which of my 14 station accounts has my VG account and install and resub now.

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208

Good news indeed.

A bit too late, graphics are outdated but this game has truly a soul.

Grats to old vanguard players.

if only Ea would do the same for warhammer......

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Today is a good day.

Warhammer next.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Durray

Forgive my ignorance, but does this game have a working PvP system yet?

I might try it at F2P but if it is in this pure PvE sate, its not really my cup of tea though hopefully the anti-pvp crowd will have found their game.

Cheers

The PvP server got merged with PvE quite some time ago. Its now only consentual PvP when players have flagged themselves.

Hopefully they will reintroduce the faction based PvP servers when they introduce F2P.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    If a lot pf people ask about the PVP server it will come, it happend with EQ2, i say we all sub, i have a feeling SOE will do somthing nice for players subed before the f2p play starts.
  • WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Ahhhhh!

Great, my whole MMO schedule for the year just got thrown off. 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by punkrock

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/newsArchive.vm?section=News&month=current&id=1374

Awesome news!! I am hoping this will bring back some RPers, says this summer but we shall see.

I can`t wait, i am going to go sub know just to get my stuff up to date!

Say what you will about the game, but this is big news, and could make it go big. I hope so at least. Maybe if a lot of people come and stay they will open there PVP server back up. We would have factionvsfaction,vs faction. 

Edit*   They also did a update to the game today, wow that has been forever, Fox paladin here i come!

It's not F2P

SoE don't do free to play, paying for chunks of content it's not what I call free, since it is not optional.

In short you cannot enjoy the game unless you subscribe.

SoE needs to learn how to do F2P from Asian publishers, until then do not bother (VG is a good game IMO)

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

That is simply not true. I have enjoyed pirates and everquest 2 for months without paying. It limits you somewhat, but you can do almost everything. It just more convienient to pay.

Besides its an excellent "trial" to see if you enjoy the game, or to play a game casual on and off for FREE. If you enjoy it and play it almost daily, you won't mind paying the sub.

I mean what more can we ask for? Nothing is ever 100% free, and why would you expect it to be? I just don't get it, why would you expect a game to be 100% free? How and in what universe does that happen? It just boggles the mind how some people think.

Originally posted by ste2000
    SoE don't do free to play, paying for chunks of content it's not what I call free, since it is not optional.
    SoE needs to learn how to do F2P from Asian publishers, until then do not bother (VG is a good game IMO)

If the previous SOE f2p games are any indication, that's rubbish. If you're some flavor of "hardcore" (whatever that means) then yeah, you're better off paying. But IMO if you're that serious about it you you ought to pay.

Also, in comparison to other f2p models, like, say, Turbine's, SOE gives out way, way more "content" (meaning, you know, content.)

Originally posted by Everket

Besides its an excellent "trial" to see if you enjoy the game, or to play a game casual on and off for FREE. If you enjoy it and play it almost daily, you won't mind paying the sub.

Yes that's for sure, that's what it is, a trial.

But why call it F2P then, that's highly deceiving.

I played EQ, EQ2 and VG for 7 years with subscription.

I recently played EQ2 Extended and basically it felt like playing a limited Trial, compared to the subscription option.

The gap is way too wide between the subscription version and the F2P.

They should call it just "Unlimited Trial", which is a fair description of what it is.

Originally posted by Ardwulf

If the previous SOE f2p games are any indication, that's rubbish. If you're some flavor of "hardcore" (whatever that means) then yeah, you're better off paying. But IMO if you're that serious about it you you ought to pay.

Also, in comparison to other f2p models, like, say, Turbine's, SOE gives out way, way more "content" (meaning, you know, content.)

Like what?

You need to subscribe to access the latest expansion content.

You can't communicate with anyone except your guild mates (so much for the Massive part of the game)

You can't have more than 2 Gold in your bank, which is nothing at high lvl, since you can't buy any good equipment.

You can't use high level spells (Master Spells) and you ca't wear Epic equipment, basically making your character useless in high level dungeons and Raids.

Finally you can't use the Market (AH), which together with the 2 Gold limit make it impossible for your character to be anywhere near competitive enough to enjoy high level group content.

All of this limitations have nothing to do with being an hardcore player or a casual one, those are essential requirement for every play style.

In short, if you don't care to play an MMORPG in solo mode then EQ2 F2P it's enjoyable, in which case I agree.

But I will also say there are far better single or multiplayer games out there which are better equipped to be played in solo mode.

This is just a big unlimited trial, you can't possibly say you are playing the real game with so mny limitations.

Like what?

You can't communicate with anyone except your guild mates (so much for the Massive part of the game)

You can't have more than 2 Gold in your bank, which is nothing at high lvl, since you can't buy any good equipment.

You can't use high level spells (Master Spells) and you ca't wear Epic equipment, basically making your character useless in high level dungeons and Raids.

Finally you can't use the Market (AH), which together with the 2 Gold limit make it impossible for your character to be anywhere near competitive enough to enjoy high level group content.

All of this limitations have nothing to do with being an hardcore player or a casual one, those are essential requirement for every play style.

In short, if you don't care to play an MMORPG in solo mode then EQ2 F2P it's enjoyable, in which case I agree.

But I will also say there are far better single or multiplayer games out there which are better equipped to be played in solo mode.

This is just a big unlimited trial, you can't possibly say you are playing the real game with so mny limitations.

Finally, someone else who gets it, rather than the constant SoE apologisers on this site. The SoE F2P models suck, its not F2P... its an 'EXTREMELY LIMITED TRIAL'.

I don't feel that any game should claim to be 'free to play' unless you can actually play the game properly as a non-subscriber, which is not the case for any SoE games aside from DCUO.

I would love to see a group of F2P players doing any of the end game instances in EQ2. or hell, any instances after RoK... with treasured gear and adept spells, no shamen, no bards and no enchanters. It would be hilarious.

Their logo is 'Free to play. Your way' which in itself is a joke. Hey guys... you are free to play *cough* as a gimp with no chance of anyone wanting you in a group in this social game *cough*.

The supporters say 'Hey, you dont have to play... its more free than it used to be... you can play all the way to max level as a free person its just you cant be as good as us subscribers... its totally fair!'. Lets be realistic, the people who think Vanguard or any other SoE game are worth a monthly subscription are already playing and paying that monthly fee, and theres not many of them left.

The point of going F2P is getting new players interested in the game, this wont happen with all the rediculous restrictions that SoE put in to enforce that people either subscribe or fuck off basically once they reach the end game. Why gate off all the games interesting races and classes as 'premium content'? Its the major selling point of the game and you are just going to drive people away.

They really need to look at what Aion is doing in North America, and how their developer says 'other players are content'. Vanguard without other players isnt worth playing. Get the players in, and dont be a cheap money grabbing miser.

Like what?

The EQ2 gold cap is 2 gold per level, and 5 if you're silver. The latest expansion has no content. You can use the broker to buy all you want; selling stuff takes tokens. Are you really, with a straight face, going to call the so-called "free to play" scheme dishonest while actually lying about how it works with the same breath?

Sure, "free to play" is deceptive marketing-speak, but it's the term we're using. Lots of people have suggested other words for it, but nothing's caught on. It's the market. Lots of people, myself included, balked at subscriptions way back when, and this is nothing different. Really, the way I see it you either play the games the market offers or you don't - if you find this model objectionable, there''s still a handful of sub-only games left.

I have my issues with the SOE freemium model, too, but saying that you can't play it, or that it's extremely limited unless you pay, is at least as deceptive as implying that it's totally free and just as silly as thinking players should expect to play for nothing with no limitations. I managed to put hundreds of hours into EQ2 after it went free before I spent so much as a dime - and I waited for the blockbuster triple station cash weekend to spend. That's a lot of free, in my book.

Here's the way I see the SOE model - better, IMO, than the current STO model where you buy lottery tickets for the chance of getting some worthwhile peice of gear: You play for a while for free, decide whether you like the game or not and take your time doing so, then maybe spend some money, once, to unlock what you need, with maybe a small bank of points to spent on gear unlocks, when you get gear that you decide is worthwhile. For hardcore dungeon folks that might be a couple of times a week, for raiders it might be a couple times a month. You're out maybe $10-20 a month or three into playing instead of before you even get to try it, and maybe you spend another $5 a month after that. If your needs are much more than that maybe you think about going Gold for a while.

While not "free" in the strict sense of the word, I think that's a good deal overall - better than the sub, since you can pay as you want to rather than having to pay just for access. You can sub month-to-month if, and when, you still want to, and still play when you're not subbed. Somebody starting from scratch can enjoy a great deal of EQ2 without spending a dime, and it'll probably be the same with Vanguard.

The EQ2 gold cap is 2 gold per level, and 5 if you're silver. The latest expansion has no content. You can use the broker to buy all you want; selling stuff takes tokens. Are you really, with a straight face, going to call the so-called "free to play" scheme dishonest while actually lying about how it works with the same breath?

Sure, "free to play" is deceptive marketing-speak, but it's the term we're using. Lots of people have suggested other words for it, but nothing's caught on. It's the market. Lots of people, myself included, balked at subscriptions way back when, and this is nothing different. Really, the way I see it you either play the games the market offers or you don't - if you find this model objectionable, there''s still a handful of sub-only games left.

I have my issues with the SOE freemium model, too, but saying that you can't play it, or that it's extremely limited unless you pay, is at least as deceptive as implying that it's totally free and just as silly as thinking players should expect to play for nothing with no limitations. I managed to put hundreds of hours into EQ2 after it went free before I spent so much as a dime - and I waited for the blockbuster triple station cash weekend to spend. That's a lot of free, in my book.

Here's the way I see the SOE model - better, IMO, than the current STO model where you buy lottery tickets for the chance of getting some worthwhile peice of gear: You play for a while for free, decide whether you like the game or not and take your time doing so, then maybe spend some money, once, to unlock what you need, with maybe a small bank of points to spent on gear unlocks, when you get gear that you decide is worthwhile. For hardcore dungeon folks that might be a couple of times a week, for raiders it might be a couple times a month. You're out maybe $10-20 a month or three into playing instead of before you even get to try it, and maybe you spend another $5 a month after that. If your needs are much more than that maybe you think about going Gold for a while.

While not "free" in the strict sense of the word, I think that's a good deal overall - better than the sub, since you can pay as you want to rather than having to pay just for access. You can sub month-to-month if, and when, you still want to, and still play when you're not subbed. Somebody starting from scratch can enjoy a great deal of EQ2 without spending a dime, and it'll probably be the same with Vanguard.

Just because you were happy to play a gimped out character for 100s of hours, doesnt mean that other gamers are. Most gamers can see the greedy cash cow from a mile off and stay clear.

In EQ2, you defend the gold cap... any subscribed player can earn more plat than the cap with a single Protectors Realm run. I was making thousands of platinum a week while subscribed. You simply cannot buy anything worthwhile for the amount of money a F2P player has access to. Which is lucky, since you couldnt equip it anyway.

Theres an old adage that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. SoE would do well to learn from Aion and other games F2P models.

You are better off having a population of 500k players, where only half the players actually buy something from the shop, than forcing everyone to buy every single component of the game and getting only 10k players. Games like Vanguard thrive on large community, and if SoE uses they typical F2P model, there wont be one. Like the Aion developers said - players are content. Without other players, you end up with Vanguard in its current state.

The bottom line is that SoE freemium models are the worst in the industry. I cannot think of a single F2P game which has a worse payment model. They fight tooth and nail to milk their customers as much as possible. I could see a large resurgance in their games, EQ2 and Vanguard are some of the best fantasy MMOs around at the moment, but they wont get it unless they stop being such blatantly greedy bastards.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Fantastic news! I'm already really enjoying two boxing some lower lvl alts in EQ and now this news! This should surely help the population and that's the most important thing the game needs at this point.

I was skeptical about the EQ free to play and it's actually turning out to be pretty good for alt playing. Of course max lvl people whom like to raid are going to need to sub.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Well this is great news. Many of us have been hoping for this change for a LONG time. I dont quite understand the folks who say they will leave if it goes FTP. Aren't you the same ppl who complained the game didnt get any updates and the population was so horrible. Well this new and appreciated attention from FTP should be the answer to the prayers. Clearly you should know that any love SONY will give this game will only be under the banner of FTP. The days of subscriptions being the driving force which SONY is compelled to then update the game are long gone. That business model is a failure for SOH. We should all embrace this new change for it only means the begining of a new and vibrant world in SOH.

I am not lying at all, you should be more honest with yourself and the rest of the community.

1) 2 Gold per level is nothing since any high lvl piece of gear which is somehow useful costs well above your Gold cap, and whoever played EQ2 intensively like I did can tell you that.

2) Yes you can buy from the AH, theoretically.............problem is you do not have enough money to buy a shit (remember the gold restriction mentioned above?), and definetly you are not allowed to sell. So no, you can't use the AH

3) You can only use the Adept Scrolls, not the Masters  which  are the ones required for high lvl dungeons and raids

4) Apart the impossibility to buy good gear on the AH, you cannot wear an Epic piece of equipment even if you had it by mistake, automatically keeping you out of high lvl dungeons and Raids

5) You can use only Guild Chat and /say, which alienate you from the Community

6) To access the latest content (dungeon/raids) you need to subscribe

What you can do is to enjoy all the solo content (quests) and low lvl dungeons up to Level Cap, but after that if you wanna keep playing and enjoy the game, you have to subscribe.

Since nowadays the leveling can be done within a month and the End Game IS the game, basically you HAVE to subscribe.

You can somehow enjoy the game only if you like to play solo and you like to reroll often, but as I said there are better solo games out there.

If you are a real MMORPG player which like to play with others the "SOE F2P" option...............is not an option

If you want to know how a real F2P works, have a look at any of the Asian MMORPGs (or GW2 just to stay closer).

SOE F2P is just an extended trial, which is good at least people can try the game (VG is a nice game) and might be tempted to subscribe.

But let's call it with the proper name (trial), not something is not.

Originally posted by evilastro

Just because you were happy to play a gimped out character for 100s of hours, doesnt mean that other gamers are. Most gamers can see the greedy cash cow from a mile off and stay clear.

"Cash cow" and "Vanguard" do not belong in the same sentence together.

In EQ2, you defend the gold cap... any subscribed player can earn more plat than the cap with a single Protectors Realm run. I was making thousands of platinum a week while subscribed. You simply cannot buy anything worthwhile for the amount of money a F2P player has access to. Which is lucky, since you couldnt equip it anyway.

If by "defend the gold cap" you mean that I said what the cap actually is, rather than what you said it was, then guilty as charged, I guess.

It's no secret that the plat cap is the EQ2 f2p model's most serious problem, and it's been discussed to death elsewhere. As you level up it starts to become a bigger and bigger hindrance and at the cap it's a disaster, but you can still get a lot of play in without it really coming up. There are also at least two ways around the plat cap that I can think of, so it's not really the problem you think it to be.

I actually agree that the SOE model is more restrictive than it ought to be. I think you ought to be able to buy the gold cap into going away and I also think you should be able to buy more shared bank slots, off the top of my head. I'm simply rejecting the assertion being made here that it's unplayable broken. That's just nonsense, and the Cryptic and Turbine models have just as many problems.

Theres an old adage that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. SoE would do well to learn from Aion and other games F2P models.
    You are better off having a population of 500k players, where only half the players actually buy something from the shop, than forcing everyone to buy every single component of the game and getting only 10k players. Games like Vanguard thrive on large community, and if SoE uses they typical F2P model, there wont be one.

One thing that has been left out of the discussion so far is that there are only two servers currently, one of them almost totally empty. It really won't take tons and tons of people to hugely bolster the population of the existing servers. Maybe they'l need to add new servers (which would be nice, because lots of people would like to see the return of the FFA PvP server) and maybe they won't, but the bar is really very low right now. The idea that 500K people would magically start playing Vanguard if it became totally free in every way is preposterous. Now 50k? That's totally plausible, even if Vanguard ends up using the exact same model that EQ2 does. And that would be something like 10 times as many players as the game currently has. The two existing servers would be waist-deep in players.

I think Aion is a dreadful game, so no matter how attractive their model is, that argument falls on deaf ears for me. However, you are basically taking NCSoft's word for how their untried model will work and evolve at face value while criticizing SOE for how you presume their model will work. PLus you've parrotted a byunch of stuff that's flatly false. So you will pardon me, therefore, for not taking what you say very seriously, and for dismissing you as a naysayer.

Also, incidentally, the Aion model relies on cheap Asian labor to produce tons of art assets for cosmetic items, which is not an option SOE can pursue to the same extent.

I am not lying at all, you should be more honest with yourself and the rest of the community.

1) 2 Gold per level is nothing since any high lvl piece of gear which is somehow useful costs well above your Gold cap, and whoever played EQ2 intensively like I did can tell you that.

2) Yes you can buy from the AH, theoretically.............problem is you do not have enough money to buy a shit (remember the gold restriction mentioned above?), and definetly you are not allowed to sell. So no, you can't use the AH

3) You can only use the Adept Scrolls, not the Masters  which  are the ones required for high lvl dungeons and raids

4) Apart the impossibility to buy good gear on the AH, you cannot wear an Epic piece of equipment even if you had it by mistake, automatically keeping you out of high lvl dungeons and Raids

5) You can use only Guild Chat and /say, which alienate you from the Community

6) To access the latest content (dungeon/raids) you need to subscribe

See the previous post for more on the plat cap. If you plan to play "intensively," why should you not expect to pay something? I find your sense of entitlement facinating.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I've tried Vanguard several times as it has many key things that I typically do enjoy.

However almost everything about vanguard seemed kinda of... meh.  It didn't really have anything better to pull me away from the other games I was playing.

Graphics - enivonment is great.  Can't stand the way the charracters look or run.

Housing - yep they have it, but only a few models - far too limited for my taste.

What MMO have you played that has nine dufferent style of houses and three types of vast guild house all in the open world.

Flight - I'll give them good props for this.

Dip - yes they had something different.  However I found this to be extremely dull.

Classes - lots of classes but nothing that really grabbed me.  I like the bard method of making your own songs.  But nothing else seemed particular great, they weren't bad, just not good enough to take me away from my other games.

Really! and what classes grab you then because Vaanguard has some great classes,healers that melee to heal,and blood mages that are casters and healers,the list goes on.

Quests - lots but kind of dull

There are 1000s of quest in Vanguard and so are dull but many are great and fun,especially in the open dungeons.

Crafting - you can customize which is great.  But their methods seemed too dull, more of a click fest than anything.

I had to LOL at this

So again they had a lot, but didn't really excell at anything IMO, and this was the biggest problem, everything was just ok.

You obviously didn't get very far in Vanguard.

What MMO have you played that has nine dufferent style of houses and three types of vast guild house all in the open world.

Istaria for one - hundreds of styles to choose from all in the open world.  ATiTD lets me build pretty much anything.  And CoH though not open world, allows me to build my base pretty much any way I want. 

Really! and what classes grab you then because Vaanguard has some great classes,healers that melee to heal,and blood mages that are casters and healers,the list goes on.

As I said the only way that grabbed me was bard.  Everything else seemed so similar to everything else, with just a different spell effect or different name

Quests - lots but kind of dull

There are 1000s of quest in Vanguard and so are dull but many are great and fun,especially in the open dungeons.

They seemed pretty standard to me, nothing great.

I had to LOL at this

Laugh all you want, thats what it was to me.  Pretty grindy

Did I get very far, not too far, as far as I wanted or needed to, only to about lvl 30 5-6 times. 

edit - so while it does have a lot.  It's crafting is not enough to pull me away from Istaria.  The housing is not enough to pull me from Istaria or CoH.  The adventuring was not enough to take me from either of those games or even WoW.

It just doesn't do anything great IMO

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.