Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard saga of heros is going F2P!!!!It`s offical, the link is here

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/newsArchive.vm?section=News&month=current&id=1374

Awesome news!! I am hoping this will bring back some RPers, says this summer but we shall see.

I can`t wait, i am going to go sub know just to get my stuff up to date!

Say what you will about the game, but this is big news, and could make it go big. I hope so at least. Maybe if a lot of people come and stay they will open there PVP server back up. We would have factionvsfaction,vs faction. 

Edit*   They also did a update to the game today, wow that has been forever, Fox paladin here i come!

Comments

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Since when are RPers happy about F2P?

I'm out of Vanguard when F2P arrives, I just can't stand these big "Buy Points NOW!!!" buttons on my screen ...

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

EQ2 has a nice RPing community thank you!   So does AIon and other games like it.  If you leave that`s ok but you will be back, oh they always come back. F2P is not a bad thing at all.

You can remove those, i do a lot when i play the games.

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

I do see peoples concern about free to play, all the new annoying kids populating the world and what not. But do you really think they'll stay? And yes its annoying about the commercial and buttons telling you to buy X and Y. 

But is that not a small price to pay for more players, but most important of all, more updates and love to vanguard? think about it. It this really makes you leave, I don't think you want to play the game anyway. I just don't see any rationalization about leaving over this. Do tell.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Definately going to revisit Telon then.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Larsa

Since when are RPers happy about F2P?

I'm out of Vanguard when F2P arrives, I just can't stand these big "Buy Points NOW!!!" buttons on my screen ...

When they actually want a larger population in a dying game?

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178

i loved vanguard back in the day, but think its too little too late for them now. Should have gone free to play a while back to get players back in the game. i'm afraid its likely to missed with the big games looming over the horizon

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

This is great news for sanbox-ish oriented players...and crafters.

Originally posted by darkehawke

i loved vanguard back in the day, but think its too little too late for them now. Should have gone free to play a while back to get players back in the game. i'm afraid its likely to missed with the big games looming over the horizon

VG could become a big game still, i don`t think it`s to late at all, if they do things the right way and play there cards right we could see somthing nice.  A lot of people say that about other MMO games coming out but you see what happens.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Vanguard is really a goldmine, if SOE can see that and start pumping out content/bugfixes even a x-pack or 2, it will flatten other mmos that came out for the past 4 years without a sweat.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Sorry but it's too little too late.

Vanguard is 5 years old now, the people who wanted to play it have played it.  They may bring a few players back for the short term but there will be no real resurgence.

I bet that some of their current players will quit once it goes F2P because of the baggage that "free" brings with it.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I've tried Vanguard several times as it has many key things that I typically do enjoy.

However almost everything about vanguard seemed kinda of... meh.  It didn't really have anything better to pull me away from the other games I was playing.

Graphics - enivonment is great.  Can't stand the way the charracters look or run.

Housing - yep they have it, but only a few models - far too limited for my taste.

Flight - I'll give them good props for this.

Dip - yes they had something different.  However I found this to be extremely dull.

Classes - lots of classes but nothing that really grabbed me.  I like the bard method of making your own songs.  But nothing else seemed particular great, they weren't bad, just not good enough to take me away from my other games.

Quests - lots but kind of dull

Crafting - you can customize which is great.  But their methods seemed too dull, more of a click fest than anything.

So again they had a lot, but didn't really excell at anything IMO, and this was the biggest problem, everything was just ok.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Unless this game gets a major overhaul its too little too late.

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73

I would be playing VG right now, if, there had been any kind of indication that SOE was putting Dev time into the game – but every time I returned, it just seemed they cared less and less about the game.

The game needs some serious polish tho, before F2Pers will start dumping money into it.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I've tried Vanguard several times as it has many key things that I typically do enjoy.

However almost everything about vanguard seemed kinda of... meh.  It didn't really have anything better to pull me away from the other games I was playing.

Graphics - enivonment is great.  Can't stand the way the charracters look or run.

Housing - yep they have it, but only a few models - far too limited for my taste.

What MMO have you played that has nine dufferent style of houses and three types of vast guild house all in the open world.

Flight - I'll give them good props for this.

Dip - yes they had something different.  However I found this to be extremely dull.

Classes - lots of classes but nothing that really grabbed me.  I like the bard method of making your own songs.  But nothing else seemed particular great, they weren't bad, just not good enough to take me away from my other games.

Really! and what classes grab you then because Vaanguard has some great classes,healers that melee to heal,and blood mages that are casters and healers,the list goes on.

Quests - lots but kind of dull

There are 1000s of quest in Vanguard and so are dull but many are great and fun,especially in the open dungeons.

Crafting - you can customize which is great.  But their methods seemed too dull, more of a click fest than anything.

I had to LOL at this

So again they had a lot, but didn't really excell at anything IMO, and this was the biggest problem, everything was just ok.

You obviously didn't get very far in Vanguard.

They just did a pretty nice update to the game, so there going in the right path but i just hope they stay on it.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

what i like about this game is that it will not attract those types of peeps that want everything instantly..i love the fact you have to really do stuff to progress in this game.and the exploration part of this game is amazing.

what does concern me though is the lag around veskal's exchange and new taragnor..should be interesting how they deal with this.

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

I suggest you go in now, and make all the toons you might want to play. If it's like the EQ F2P you will get to keep them as long as they were made before a certain date. Anyway I'll try it for sure. Unless GW2 is out by then....then I MIGHT try it.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Good news, although I hope the F2P model is nothing like EQ1 / 2. They are a joke.

Limiting free players to the most boring races and classes wont help generate interest in Vanguard. They need to take an Aion style approach and focus on making money on appearance gear, fluff and convenience items... rather than forcing players to be gimp unless they pay.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Good News.  I may reactivate for a month and make my chars so they will be around when the F2P comes.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• blayugsblayugs Member Posts: 108

Yes the graphics are outdated and the animations are clunky but I've always had a soft spot for this game.

Ever since beta with this game I have loved the classes it has to offer. The classes in this game may be very similar to other games but they just work so much better.

I am very excited about this as the only thing that stops me from playing the game is the lack of people to play with.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Never have been happier to see a game go F2P. I will be there on day one and will spend some money to show some support to the best pve MMO on the market.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

Hah, this is great. I haven't played in ages, but when I did, it was such an awesome experience. I remember my first few days just wandering about and exploring; no quests had, just a desire to see what the world offered. Found one amazing dungeon that went underground but turned out to be this massive city-like area...was very fun. I look forward to pulling out my old boat and going off fishing in some remote corner of the sea.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

You see i play and have 2 accounts in eq2,i have seen incredible greed by SOE and they are in for a big surprise as people will leave and never come back.They sell cheap xpacs and push them out fast.They spend all our sub money and time making more cash shop items than fair value content.

Point being ,expect identical business practices for VG just as in EQ2.There is an upside to the system,you can play totally for free for awhile to get a grasp if you like the game or not but eventually you will need all top notch gear and spells.

Personally i like the old school trials better,it gives players a good feel for a game then they decide if they want to subscribe.This new so called FAKE F2p is just taxing the paying subscribers with more cash shop that is suppose to aim for the freebies but hits the paying customers harder,so it is a greed design.

As soon as a decent game comes out like Archeage or any other MMORPG i will be gone from SOE's greed maybe forever.Make no mistake i LOVED VG,i would play it in a heart beat if i knew was anyone else other than SOE running it.I was one of the few VERY happy cutomers when Sigil ran it,i just saw a lot of bashing because it was a high end game that systems could not run.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

FINALLY!!! something that SOE did that might save this game!

but again..

why now? when all the big guns are coming out?

they should have done this 2 years ago so that the have enough fan base that got to like the game and stay with it

because now, with GW2 soon, Tera, and TSW and all those, i wonder how many people will stay with VG

although, i wish the best for VG because truthfully i love VG to death, it's 1 MMO that really stole my heart, my time, and my life

although i will be coming back during F2P to assist with new players, but hopefully after GW2 and all those are release, VG will still hold on

So What Now?

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

VG does not cater to the same players as those other games.  Either way, it will be FTP and will greatly increase the population.  It was only at a few hundred anyways so even if it just went to 1000 that would be a monstrous increase.