Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you vote? If so who and why?

jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

It is that time of year where the CSM is elected and all the trolls, fanboys, meta-gamers, tin-foil-hats come out to spew all sorts of 'things' as we head into EVE Fanfest 2012.

If you don't know what I am talking about the excellent columnist Ross McDermott aka 'White Tree' has the basics.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/14/feature/6113

So without further ado, who did you vote for and why?

To me CSM6 gave me Crucible. Was it all them? No.

But Crucible came out while they were the CSM and if getting 'Crucible Ver 2' means I have to vote for 'The Mittani' then so be it.

Yes, I am selfish and results oriented.

Lets keep this civil though. :)

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Comments

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

This is the first CSM I have bothered to participate in via voting.  I don't really understand how the voting mechanics work but I only had one person that I wanted to vote for anyway.  As someone who gives a flying fk about politics in the first place I usually ignore this portion of EVE but this time around I happened to catch a few posts by Hans Jagerwtfever and I decided to click on him for my vote.  FW needs halp - hopefully he can.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

I think it's relatively obvious now that the CSM is more than just a PR tool for CCP to use and both CCP and the playerbase see it. They provide a lot of valuable input and also a focused voice of what the playerbase really wants. I don't buy into all the political machinations BS that some try claim with those who run for CSM and believe that those that are running are doing so for the overall good of the game. Even though he is a jackass and abrasive most of the time, the mittani still cares about the game as a whole and want's to see all area's improved on.

That said I voted from someone else this time around but he got a lot of flak last year due to being chair so was most visible to players.

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109

Faction warfare, corp wars, and the Dust link are slated for this year, and electing a bunch of people that yawn whenever empire space is brought up means that there will be no useful feedback if those null sec dwellers of CSM6 get back in.

Hell, just reading the list of candidates and what they want to achieve if they get elected makes me sick to my ass.

Nul sec, this, null sec that!  Too bad the year's development cycle is slated for mostly Empire tweaks....

Good thing, as was pointed out above by Minsc, the CSM is a PR stunt and nothing more than that because if we were counting on those people to represent us with this year's development cycle we'd be in real trouble.

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by SlaverHound

Faction warfare, corp wars, and the Dust link are slated for this year, and electing a bunch of people that yawn whenever empire space is brought up means that there will be no useful feedback if those null sec dwellers of CSM6 get back in.

Hell, just reading the list of candidates and what they want to achieve if they get elected makes me sick to my ass.

Nul sec, this, null sec that!  Too bad the year's development cycle is slated for mostly Empire tweaks....

Good thing, as was pointed out above by Minsc, the CSM is a PR stunt and nothing more than that because if we were counting on those people to represent us with this year's development cycle we'd be in real trouble.

This puzzles me as it doesn't really make logical sense.

If the CSM is just a PR stunt then why do you care who is elected?

While 'history rewrite' is common in this forum, trying to rewrite things that happened 8months ago isn't going to work out too well.

The Mittani showed with the viral campaign that CCP will relent when it comes to the media. Look up 'Eurogamer' and how many hits they got for linking his CEO letter on Kugu.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

This puzzles me as it doesn't really make logical sense.

If the CSM is just a PR stunt then why do you care who is elected?

While 'history rewrite' is common in this forum, trying to rewrite things that happened 8months ago isn't going to work out too well.

The Mittani showed with the viral campaign that CCP will relent when it comes to the media. Look up 'Eurogamer' and how many hits they got for linking his CEO letter on Kugu.

Most of them are CSM6 so they know their position is a bunch of bollocks yet there they are toting new agendas that have nothing to do with next years development.

If they actually mattered it would be reflected in their campaign agendas - the worthlessness of the CSM is right there out in the open for anybody to look at yet nobody wants to look at it.

Yeah, let's talk about history...

The only letter that had any effect was the CCP CEO letter where he said that they should watch what players do and not what they say and the only players that changed CCP wasn't the CSM it was the people that quit playing in protest.

The result of the CEO letter cost the company money, people their jobs, and set back the development of their other games.

Do you think the captain of the titanic gave a rats ass about a little bad press when his ship was sinking?

Most of them are CSM6 so they know their position is a bunch of bollocks yet there they are toting new agendas that have nothing to do with next years development.

If they actually mattered it would be reflected in their campaign agendas - the worthlessness of the CSM is right there out in the open for anybody to look at yet nobody wants to look at it.

The only letter that had any effect was the CCP CEO letter where he said that they should watch what players do and not what they say and the only players that changed CCP wasn't the CSM it was the people that quit playing in protest.

The result of the CEO letter cost the company money, people their jobs, and set back the development of their other games.

Do you think the captain of the titanic gave a rats ass about a little bad press when his ship was sinking?

Once again, this post and the previous post doesn't really make logical sense.

You accept that CSM is 'worthlessness' in this post.

Your previous post said 'there will be no useful feedback if those null sec dwellers of CSM6 get back in'.

Oh, I am very curious on how you know what letter had what influence inside CCP. Are you an ex-staff? :)

Gdemami -

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Null Sec Space is the number one focus of EvE and always has been. 0.0 is what CCP cares about and it's why they created EvE in the first place. Empire Space is just a stepping stone as far as CCP is concerned. I believe they have no intention for it to ever be more than that. Seeking or desiring improvements or added features for Empire Space is a pipe dream. Trust me I know this all too well.... even *IF* CCP adds something to Empire it is the Null Sec Players that will enjoy it most and profit from it most. Guaranteed. If you doubt me ask Teala.

As for the election I did not vote because I am not subscribed now. Who gets elected is none of my business any longer.... However when it was my business my opinion was the same as SlaverHound's.... the CSM is a great idea but in the end it is just a great idea. CCP does not need to care one rat's ass about what the CSM wants or promote's, all they have to care about is making sure WE think CCP cares. CCP sometimes doesn't even care what most of the Players want or desire, why would they really give a damn about the CSM except due to Public Relations concerns? My opinion is that voting for members of the CSM is a waste of time just like real life politics where I live. No one really knows who really won anyway.

As for what is planned for EvE this year, overall it looks like a good plan for the Players that CCP cares about (PvP and Console Players). So I wish them well. (I would have chosen a different set of goals but that is why I am no longer subscribed; I don't agree with CCP's vision anymore.)

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Null Sec Space is the number one focus of EvE and always has been. 0.0 is what CCP cares about and it's why they created EvE in the first place. Empire Space is just a stepping stone as far as CCP is concerned. I believe they have no intention for it to ever be more than that. Seeking or desiring improvements or added features for Empire Space is a pipe dream. Trust me I know this all too well.... even *IF* CCP adds something to Empire it is the Null Sec Players that will enjoy it most and profit from it most. Guaranteed.

As for the election I did not vote because I am not subscribed now. Who gets elected is none of my business any longer.... However when it was my business my opinion was the same as SlaverHound's.... the CSM is a great idea but in the end it is just a great idea. CCP does not need to care one rat's ass about what the CSM wants or promote's, all they have to care about is making sure WE think CCP cares. CCP sometimes doesn't even care what most of the Players want or desire, why would they really give a damn about the CSM except due to Public Relations concerns?

As for what is planned for EvE this year, overall it looks like a good plan for the Players that CCP cares about (PvP and Console Players). So I wish them well. (I would have chosen a different set of goals but that is why I am no longer subscribed; I don't agree with CCP's vision anymore.)

The above post is generally what normal people think but it isn't really what happens in the real-world.

There is a very strong desire for a company to do what they said they would do in the media.

They don't have to, but if they don't, and the media finds out; it is a PR disaster.

This is one of the reasons why most companies have PR firms.

CCP in their infinitely bad wisdom decided to tout CSM as something to the media.

It was a good PR stunt, except now they either have to go back on their word or make it look like they are listening.

The Eurogamer article went viral and caused huge issue with CCP and that was partly because CCP wasn't keeping their word on what they said.

In the business world they say 'Perception is reality'.

Gdemami -

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

To me CSM6 gave me Crucible.

Wrong,

CSM6 took away Walking in stations which I've been waiting on for about 7 years.

Then

They tried to take away incursions, which is probably the only fun PvE element of the game.  Which ended up just being a lie from a CSM member who wanted to get re-elected.

Sorry, but CSM is a joke, they dont represent anyone but themselves.

Originally posted by sadeyx

Wrong,

CSM6 took away Walking in stations which I've been waiting on for about 7 years.

Then

They tried to take away incursions, which is probably the only fun PvE element of the game.  Which ended up just being a lie from a CSM member who wanted to get re-elected.

CSM represents their voters so yes, they do represent themselves.

If I vote for someone I'd expect that person to look after my interest. That's what voting is.

Democracy is working as intended. :)

Gdemami -

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Wrong,

Then

CSM represents their voters so yes, they do represent themselves.

If I vote for someone I'd expect that person to look after my interest. That's what voting is.

Democracy is working as intended. :)

You dont know much about Democracy do you? lol

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Wrong,

Then

It sounds like you are being trolled hard by the Mittani.

Once again, this post and the previous post doesn't really make logical sense.

You accept that CSM is 'worthlessness' in this post.

Your previous post said 'there will be no useful feedback if those null sec dwellers of CSM6 get back in'.

Oh, I am very curious on how you know what letter had what influence inside CCP. Are you an ex-staff? :)

I was playing the devil's advocate for your sake on the first part because you do believe in the CSM while at the same time pointing out that it's all horse____ anyway.

Now, care to disscuss either of the points I'm making or do you want to carry on with this off topic hubbabuloo?

The CCP CEO letter had an influence on the playerbase - they rage quit.  That loss of income had an effect of 20% layoffs, a MMO title pushed to the backburner, and a refocus on bringing those lost sales back to CCP.

The other letter had someone talking about "getting gasoline ready" when the fire was already raging out of control...  The riots had already happened...  The people had already quit...  The bad press resulting from players rioting and quitting was already in the press...  Players were not happy with CCP and everyone knew about it...  In walks a dude with a letter to his people asking them to essentially wait a little bit longer before they do something while the things that had the most effect had already happened.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Being in the CSM means you get a free trip to Iceland here and there, that's about it. 

• vetmovetmo Member Posts: 10

I voted for the cms that wanted ccp to get hanged for not give us walk in stations.

The other csm are just selfcentred muckups that aint doing there job as csm

Originally posted by Minsc

I think it's relatively obvious now that the CSM is more than just a PR tool for CCP to use and both CCP and the playerbase see it. They provide a lot of valuable input and also a focused voice of what the playerbase really wants. I don't buy into all the political machinations BS that some try claim with those who run for CSM and believe that those that are running are doing so for the overall good of the game. Even though he is a jackass and abrasive most of the time, the mittani still cares about the game as a whole and want's to see all area's improved on.

That said I voted from someone else this time around but he got a lot of flak last year due to being chair so was most visible to players.

As you say

The CSM  'elected in'  are as in real life what right and left are in politics

Puppets the rule are the one with isk

a huge ball of horseshit is the voting ...

Yea and the sad thing is not even the ones who make cash of the majority (ccp) cant get there ass to think if we screw the empire players the majority of the paying customers (those who pay with irl cash) (those who wanted walk in stations) we screw our self ?!?!

But ye makes me sick to see/hear  them and got a friend who nearly phukes when he must go to work now '''

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

Voted for mittens, he got stuff done and I think he will get it done again.  As a gallente pilot, he took me from feeling like I made a mistake to really loving my ships (and not just for the aesthetics).  I think his focus on making nullsec more accessable is a good one, letting people experience all areas of the game.  I like to dabble in everything, and null seems like good times.

To the people that voted for WIS, I feel for you because I would love WIS too, however I have no faith in any other rep to actually make a difference.  I also think that the most likely way for us to get WIS is to put it on hold until the WoD team cleans up the carbon engine a lot more.  It can make some impressive visuals but it scales very poorly.  I just upgraded from one GTX 480 to SLI, and my performance actually managed to go down somehow in CQ.  As it is, for how little it is rendering it is taking up an incredibly high amount of GPU power.

• 2D34DLY4U2D34DLY4U Member UncommonPosts: 62

Voted for Mittens on the previous CSM, consider it a vote well spent since the council is now more organized and impactful than it previously was. At least that is my perception.

Perhaps more than Crucible the best thing this CSM did with Mittens was get time dilation to work, it was something he pushed for and spearheaded from day 1, it got implemented so I guess you can see true influence there.

This CSM I am not going to vote for Mittens again because he is going to be majorly reelected anyway, I voted for Elise a cool pvper that worked his butt off as a quasi CSM on previous team.

Let's hope I am right on this one though...

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

No, because the CSM will never be what people want it to be.  Mittens is just a glory/attention hound.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • ChramChram Member Posts: 91

I think CSM6 did an execellent job after the summer in guiding some of the dev efforts. This time there were plenty of quality candidates, so I had a hard time choosing from them.  I picked Seleene and Two Step, they have done some good work during their term and I hope they will continue.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Mittani for prez.

People talk smack about him yet he's the one that did strides to reverse the atrocity which was Incarna. We can thank him for contributing to supercap nerfs among other things.