Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

bitter sweet return

ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

giving EQ2 a try... taking it easy and exploring and doing as many dungeons as i can. currently at lvl 25 and i've had a bitter sweet experience so far. let me explain.  i love the big open world..i love grouping and teamwork; its why i played team sports like football for so many years. MMOs = football for me. hehe.

anyways.. i played EQ1 for 5 years. loved it. EQ2 is only partially reviving that feeling.  I actually find the combat in EQ1 more epic. in EQ2 debuffs and CC and solid tanking and steady DPS just dont seem to be needed anymore? just plow through groups of mobs. i appreciate that i need groups for dungeons and such but the teamwork doesnt seem to be necessary.  we clear Stormhold and wow, that was cool, but "meh". bitter sweet. mobs have zero aggro radius and they die really fast. we pull a group and at the end someone goes "errr that was a boss?" ya, very anticlimactic. 

my question is... does it get better as the game progresses to high levels? i was thinking about subbing cuz im SICK TO TEARS OF EASYMODE AND SOLO FRIENDLY GAMES but ironically the game franchise most noted for grouping and challenge is turning out to be only moderately so. advice?

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

you are correct - i enjoy eq2 but it has more in common w wow than eq1

EQ1 just went f2p .. maybe try that?

EQ1 also launched a new server, Vox, as part of the f2p launch

Originally posted by Reehay  we clear Stormhold and wow, that was cool, but "meh". bitter sweet. mobs have zero aggro radius and they die really fast. we pull a group and at the end someone goes "errr that was a boss?" ya, very anticlimactic. 

my question is... does it get better as the game progresses to high levels? i was thinking about subbing cuz im SICK TO TEARS OF EASYMODE AND SOLO FRIENDLY GAMES but ironically the game franchise most noted for grouping and challenge is turning out to be only moderately so. advice?

EQ2 does get harder at later levels

if you do any of the TSO scaling dungeons that are levels 50-80

• cure01cure01 Member UncommonPosts: 291

Another suggestion for Eq  its F2p now.  They grandfather your old characters and its only an 8 gb or so download...

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

eq2. wow, lotro all games on easy mode, which make the game boring, my suggestion would be Vanguard or AOC, or perhaps SWTOR not that the mobs in swtor are that hard it just tells an interesting story before you beat up the mobs

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I liked EQ2 the entire time I played it. Every time. But recently I got more into it than before making it almost to the max level, but I noticed the gameplay wasn't as hard as expected for some reason. Something I really liked was housing, also the amount of skills I had, there were TONS compared to wow clones or skill bar based MMO's.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

EQ2 gets harder around level 70 or so.  The mobs in Rise of Kunark will eat your lunch if you aren't well geared, and this trend generally continues through Destiny of Velious (especially Dov).

The combat system is pretty poor though.  This game was releases shortly before WoW, and the "hotkey MMO" wasn't as well defined at the time.  As a result, you have a combat system that's slightly different from more modern MMORPGs which can be a good thing, but I don't think EQ2's combat system is particularly better than the newer games.  I find that the huge number of abilities coupled with cast times, auto attack timing, and long cooldowns make the combat in EQ2 much harder to grasp without being any more rewarding for the player.