Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One To Watch: Sci-Fi Sandbox MMORPG + Traveller PnP RPG IP

MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

http://www.traveller-ar.com/

A summary of main features from the website:

A Space-based iPhone MMORPG Game:

• Combining 3D visual immersion with deep Traveller RPG complexity to create a fantastic iPhone space game.

• Become instantly immersed in the beautiful and deadly augmented reality of this deep space iPhone game.

• Explore a Galaxy's worth of Traveller MMO depth achieving new ranks, trophies, and levels for you and your ship in this iPhone space game adventure.

• Engage in exciting PvP or PvE battles or simply explore and trade in this iPhone RPG for infinite replay-ability.

Video Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ywx8Uew6ZLg#!

Gameplay & Rules:

Fight.. Trade.. Explore…   That’s the mantra for players of Traveller AR.  There are different character types that allow you to fully explore each of these activities.   Or all of them.  It is up to you.  There is no set goal in the  Traveller AR iPhone MMO.  There might be temporary goals of a mission or task and plots and subplots abound, ready for players to uncover them.   However, the sky is the limit as to what you want to do in the game. Some want to be the richest player in the game; there is a path to that via trade and/or combat loot.  Some players want to raise their skills to be the best fighter pilot in the galaxy and there is a path for that. And some players may just want to wander the galaxy in their ship, trying to get as far as they can without being blown up.  It’s all there for you in the Traveller AR iPhone space game, displayed in exciting augmented reality.

In 1977, game designer Marc Miller, proposed creating a role playing game set in deep space – a Dungeons & Dragons among the stars.  Miller’s idea evolved into the Traveller role playing game.  Gamers were now able to create characters and take them on journeys from star system to star system, engaging in space battles and exploring the surface of planets.

Features:

Traveller AR Portal-View Technology™

Become instantly immersed in the beautiful and deadly augmented reality of deep space.

Portal-View Technology™ lets you Augment the Reality around you, just as if you were looking out the portal of a real space-ship.

Explore a Galaxy’s worth of depth achieving new ranks, trophies, and levels for you and your ship in a true 

Traveller AR HexMode™  MapiPhone RPG environment.

HexMode™ lets you zoom out and engage in tactical combat, trading, and exploration… just like the Original Traveller Pen and Paper RPG.

Engage in exciting PvP or PvE battles or simply explore and trade for infinite replay-ability.

Traveller AR Nav-Wheel™ interfaceThe Nav-Wheel™ interface lets you play the Traveller-AR iPhone MMORPG tactically and intuitively without getting in the way of the action.

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Hey Mumbo, There are are few of us old Outer Empires vets in Traveller now, and having a blast beta testing.

The game is 99c in apple store but it is still in beta, it will be 5.99 on full release so worth getting even if you can't be bothered with beta's just wait until full release before playing. It is also planned to port it from iOS to android OS soon.

Not all the features are active yet and there are still some bugs but updated versions are issued to apple every week or two, to fix bugs we report and to implement more features.

It reminds me a lot of the old 80's game Elite and it's successors. The missions change regularly and some involve hunting down in game PC's for bounties, great fun, the GM's also organise events and competitions.

Got to be worth a dollar of anyone's money but remember it is a self acknowledged beta so no MO type hatred please if you try and find a few bugs.
  • lowendahllowendahl Member Posts: 102

iPhone?

If only there was a PC version...

But good luck with it :)

About time we have a new Traveller game. Will be interesting to see what comes of it. Hopefully a succesful game here will get us more traveller games.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by RefMinor

Hey Mumbo, There are are few of us old Outer Empires vets in Traveller now, and having a blast beta testing.

The game is 99c in apple store but it is still in beta, it will be 5.99 on full release so worth getting even if you can't be bothered with beta's just wait until full release before playing. It is also planned to port it from iOS to android OS soon.

Not all the features are active yet and there are still some bugs but updated versions are issued to apple every week or two, to fix bugs we report and to implement more features.

It reminds me a lot of the old 80's game Elite and it's successors. The missions change regularly and some involve hunting down in game PC's for bounties, great fun, the GM's also organise events and competitions.

Got to be worth a dollar of anyone's money but remember it is a self acknowledged beta so no MO type hatred please if you try and find a few bugs.

Thanks for the heads up.

I might get a chance to join the beta soon. image

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

All these years waiting for a Traveller MMO and we end up with a phone app.  Well, I'll save everyone some drama...

/weep

/rage

/ignore

Originally posted by Unlight

All these years waiting for a Traveller MMO and we end up with a phone app.  Well, I'll save everyone some drama...
    /weep
    /rage
    /ignore

Actually it's really nice on the iPad, will be even better when the HD graphics are issued for the iPad app. It would be a bit pointless going head to head with EvE on a PC game MMO if you are a small studio.
  • lowendahllowendahl Member Posts: 102

By that logic no one should ever make another fantasy mmo for the pc since it would be foolish to go head to head with WoW.

There is plenty of room for sci-fi mmos on the pc. And by limiting the game to phones they reduce the number of potential buyers.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

at least open it up to android/ kindle fire users too

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Originally posted by fansede

Totally agree, there is no way in hell i'm getting an iphone just to play this, I'll wait for the Android version, hope it's soon.

Originally posted by redcap036

Totally agree, there is no way in hell i'm getting an iphone just to play this, I'll wait for the Android version, hope it's soon.

http://www.traveller-ar.com/features/iphone-space-game/

If you are looking for an iPhone space game then the Traveller AR MMORPG has a wide range of key elements to create a vast virtual universe to explore. While Traveller-AR is currently for the iPhone, we are working hard to ensure that players with other mobile devices can gain access to this amazing mobile MMO as soon as possible!

Originally posted by lowendahl

By that logic no one should ever make another fantasy mmo for the pc since it would be foolish to go head to head with WoW.

There is plenty of room for sci-fi mmos on the pc. And by limiting the game to phones they reduce the number of potential buyers.

...Why iPhone? From website:

1. Traveller AR is the only iPhone space game to truly incorporate 3D MMO and RPG space elements to create an engaging iPhone RPG in a massively multiplayer environment.

2. Traveller AR is one of the few upcoming iPhone space games , and it is the only iPhone space MMO set to arrive in 2011. 

USP, emergent market (spend on mobiles YOY increasing v impressively, lead in to: cross-platform + Android ie organic expansion. It's possibly considered lower risk/reward business strategy developing for iOS/Android - not sure what tech they use but cross-platform would be the way forward in combination with quick game sessions/social features the phone provides. Could do what Spacetime have done and go into browers eventually?

Overall looks v promising if they manage to keep it sandy imo. image

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Originally posted by redcap036

http://www.traveller-ar.com/features/iphone-space-game/

If you are looking for an iPhone space game then the Traveller AR MMORPG has a wide range of key elements to create a vast virtual universe to explore. While Traveller-AR is currently for the iPhone, we are working hard to ensure that players with other mobile devices can gain access to this amazing mobile MMO as soon as possible!

Originally posted by lowendahl

...Why iPhone? From website:

1. Traveller AR is the only iPhone space game to truly incorporate 3D MMO and RPG space elements to create an engaging iPhone RPG in a massively multiplayer environment.

2. Traveller AR is one of the few upcoming iPhone space games , and it is the only iPhone space MMO set to arrive in 2011. 

USP, emergent market (spend on mobiles YOY increasing v impressively, lead in to: cross-platform + Android ie organic expansion. It's possibly considered lower risk/reward business strategy developing for iOS/Android - not sure what tech they use but cross-platform would be the way forward in combination with quick game sessions/social features the phone provides. Could do what Spacetime have done and go into browers eventually?

Overall looks v promising if they manage to keep it sandy imo. image

It's very sandy at the moment , the plan is to put in the toys gradually once the basic structure is smooth and bug free, from discussions with the developer the plan is for a RPG sandbox game.

^It's good to see players actively encouraging integration of PvP:PvE ;) Should be going with this one shortly.

Can we have a forum for this? I have asked a couple of times at the bottom of the games list
  • blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174

Currently playing the Beta on the Ipad and having a ball! .. When all the bells and whistles are implemented Traveller AR will be the one to pull me from EvE. (Mobile and casual with all the sand you could possibily want).

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

When they leave the over-priced Fisher-Price toy and come to Android, I'll try it out.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

/weep

/rage

/ignore

I feel the same way. Traveller is such a great start point for an MMO and it would be distinctly different from Eve and other sci-fi MMOs. Bit disappointed that it's an iPhone thing as I think it's missed its potential, but I'll give it a go on my pad when it comes out on Android.

Originally posted by blythega

Currently playing the Beta on the Ipad and having a ball! .. When all the bells and whistles are implemented Traveller AR will be the one to pull me from EvE. (Mobile and casual with all the sand you could possibily want).

Great to hear. All the UI etc looks very polished & I've finally got going with it, but crashes on my device... so barely any headway in the beta so far. : (

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Gibbonici

/weep

/rage

/ignore

I feel the same way. Traveller is such a great start point for an MMO and it would be distinctly different from Eve and other sci-fi MMOs. Bit disappointed that it's an iPhone thing as I think it's missed its potential, but I'll give it a go on my pad when it comes out on Android.

Classic Traveller was the first PnP RPG I've played & MegaTraveller was the first I owned and Refereed (along with Traveller: The New Era & other GDW & FASA games,) I find it disappointing that Traveller ends up as a phone app. The Spinward Marches is just waiting to be brought to life under the MMO umbrella.

The Official Traveller Universe has background & lore which rivals SG-1, Star Wars & STar Trek along with "multiple era's" to be set in, I'm just hoping this is a step closer to MMO-Hood.

• DWJ1117DWJ1117 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Just by accident I found Traveller AR.  I was hoping for a computer game and not a phone app.  Disappointed, but I know we are one step closer to a usable MMO.  I hope to see it soon, so that I can quit EVE Online.