Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Offline (Again, or Boldy Going Nowhere)

TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

STO is having a repeated major database issue that is resulting in the shard dying every few days for several hours.

From Cryptics perspective this must be a very worrying situation, as some Gold Members grumblings on the official forums suggest they are very unhappy indeed. These are people who have sunk a considerable amount of money already into the game and why should they spend any more?

From a new F2P players perspective of just a few weeks this just looks appalling, as the game is already riddled with bugs galore. Don't get me wrong there is some very attractive elements in the game, it just doesn't come across as something that sinking real money into would be a worthwhile move.

Comments

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122

I'm a long time defender/supporter/fan of STO.  Despite the fact that there is still too little endgame content, no proper Klingon side game, and some annoying cash grab situations.

But, I have to agree - the performance issues we are seeing right now smack of a game being neglected by Perfect World.  I hope they don't blow it...but, this is ugly.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

In an interview with DStahl, I think he addresses this problem by saying that it is not a hardware issue, but a bug in their coding they have yet to pinpoint.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

Ya, it's pretty sad that the server performance is worse now than it was at launch.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Ya, it's pretty sad that the server performance is worse now than it was at launch.

Since February to current date, I think there have been, what.... 6 or 7 server crashes? Possibly more. At least according to the "unexpected downtime" threads I bothered to count.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

According to the fans prior to release, this was supposed to be the game that killed Eve Online.  Looks like STO is boldly swirling down the toilet.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

I have no first-hand experience with this game, although I've certainly heard of it. I just wanted to say that I read the thread title and laughed for about a minute straight. Very clever.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Prior to STO going F2P I was a strong advocate of the game. Cryptic had made major strides in addressing some of the games earlier shortcomings. I other words, the game was getting better with each new update. However, once Crypic went with Perfect Worlds and subsequently went F2P, I have had little desire to log on. Part of that is seeing how "poorly run" many of the other F2P games have become that I have tried. The games turn on pumping out store content more then on making a great playing game (and yes, I understand they need to make money). The motivation for someone like myself to be nickle and dimed to death just to keep up with others just is not there. So, frankly, if STO dies (which I doubt will happen), I won't miss it.....I don't now.

Let's party like it is 1863!