Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for something different--Mercantile/Skills/Manufacturing

GoldambreGoldambre Member Posts: 2

Greetings all

I am not sure if the game exists, but maybe there is something close to what I am looking for.

I would like to find a Merchant Trader type of game.  Bounty Bay is close.  Trukz, when it was around, was also close.  Buy your goods in one city and transport them to another to sell at a profit.  My preference would be PvE rather than PvP.  I would also prefer a fantasy or historical setting rather than a space theme.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

Uncharted Waters Online is the game that you're looking for.  http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/555

• GoldambreGoldambre Member Posts: 2

Thanks Forgrimm.  I will have a look.

• FehdFehd Member UncommonPosts: 64

1 different fact u should know about UWO is that u can't avoid pvp if u want to sail to asia ports , u will have to sail through ' hoistle waters ' and there u risk getting attacked by players unlike BBO were u can avoid pvp if u keep trader char miltary skill below lv31 ish I believe .

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

If you play Uncharted Waters Online and hang out around Ambon or Cape Verde, you're likely to get attacked a fair bit.  But there are pretty heavy penalties for piracy, so you probably won't get attacked very often.  I get attacked by other players about once a month, and often, the battle simply ends with me running away and escaping.  And most of the times that I do get attacked, I could have avoided it if I had been more careful; the reason I wasn't is that even if you completely ignore the possibility that other players might attack you, you still don't get attacked very often.

UWO does go very heavily for complexity, with over 160 ports and over 400 trade goods.  Some trade goods are bought in ports, some are foraged out in the wild with one of two different skills, some are grown on a private farm, some are crafted from other trade goods, and many are available from multiple sources.

UWO isn't purely a merchant trading game, but the game's trading system constitutes about 1/3 of the game.  That's enough to make it a major game mechanic and something that you can focus on almost exclusively if you like, rather than just a minor side activity like the economic system in most games.

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

Pirates of the Burning Sea may be worth looking at. There is much PVP for those who wish it, and if you don't you can avoid it. Historical back drop, manufacturing, economy.  There is a decent sized population as well.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/68

Free to play, all you will loose is time.

Best of luck to you.

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

PotBS has the game economy as a complementary feature.  It's pretty well done if all you want to do is mess with the economy for a few minutes per day, and spend most of your time on combat.  But if you want to focus mostly on the game economy, labor limitations in PotBS mean that you basically can't accomplish much more by spending a few hours per day than you could in a few minutes.

• ishapishap Member Posts: 6

I always like games that have a robust economy and an interesting mercantile game that progresses beyond a reskinned version of Elite. They seem hard to find, though, most modern MMOs seem to relegate mercantile/crafting to simple item creation (usually which is outpaced by endgame raiding/pve content), and potion vendors.