Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few questions about the upcoming F2P version

Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

1. When is Aion going free to play?

2. Will it be like what EQ2 did with how they made the free version a whole different server and kept the pay to play on the original servers?

3. Will everyone on the current servers be going free to play too?

4. What exactly WON'T I be able to do in the free version that others can do if they still pay?

Comments

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

My understanding is that it's completely free and will be on the regular servers with no restrictions. I'm not really sure how they plan on making a profit aside from players basically deciding they want to help support the company by purchasing the game. But yeah, it's kind of nice to see somebody do "free" the right way.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by Jakard

My understanding is that it's completely free and will be on the regular servers with no restrictions. I'm not really sure how they plan on making a profit aside from players basically deciding they want to help support the company by purchasing the game. But yeah, it's kind of nice to see somebody do "free" the right way.

I highly doubt it will be completely be free to play. They will add limits to classes/zones/content/inventory/skills somehow to get you to pay.

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

Originally posted by Blazer6992

2. Will it be like what EQ2 did with how they made the free version a whole different server and kept the pay to play on the original servers?

4. What exactly WON'T I be able to do in the free version that others can do if they still pay?

1. The only timeframe they've given us for going "F2P" is spring of 2012.

2. There will be no restrictions on F2P Aion. You actually won't have the option of a monthly fee. Everyone gets the game for free. They will be making money through an in-game cash shop. If it's the same as the Lineage 2 Cash shop, people who spend their money on it won't really have an advantage in PvP. Don't get me wrong, there is gear that you can buy in the cash shop, but the gear is easily acquirable through other means and it's the same stuff everyone else would be using. Plus XP boost items to help you level more quickly and vanity items.

3. Yes, everyone will be going F2P

4. Nothing. Everyone will have the free version and there won't be the option of paying a monthly fee. As stated previously, you will have the option of buying in game items from the vanity shop.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

Originally posted by Yizle

Originally posted by Jakard

I highly doubt it will be completely be free to play. They will add limits to classes/zones/content/inventory/skills somehow to get you to pay.

Untrue, they are completely doing away with the subscription fee model. If you want to spend money on the game, it will be through the in-game cash shop which will offer items like XP boosts, vanity pets/costumes and possibly some gear too.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Same server for everyone

You can be starter player or veteran/gold player. Starter have the whole pack, but miss 2 important things. No Chat is allowed and no trade/Broker usage. Which sux, cus they announce this as "Anti spam/gold seller" tactic, which is actually forcing you to buy gold pack.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

Originally posted by mazut

Same server for everyone

You can be starter player or veteran/gold player. Starter have the whole pack, but miss 2 important things. No Chat is allowed and no trade/Broker usage. Which sux, cus they announce this as "Anti spam/gold seller" tactic, which is actually forcing you to buy gold pack.

u are talkin about the eu servers. i think the guys are talkin about the na version.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Same server for everyone

I should of known there would be a catch.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

Originally posted by khartokhar3

Same server for everyone

u are talkin about the eu servers. i think the guys are talkin about the na version.

Given (1) OP's location and (2) OP talked about free-to-play as forthcoming, yes, this.

NA version under "Truly Free (TM)" has no such distinction.  Even the recent glitch with some people on free trials being unable to use warehouse / broker has been fixed.

Whether, and if so how, NC will prevent the kind of bot / goldspammer infestations that have been seen in L2 remains to be seen.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Well the site clearly states no content or access restrictions, the whole game free.

Now this leads me to a good question...what are they going to be selling?

I remember when it launched the insane amount of in your face botting and farmer spam...not a thing was done.  When they added the text jumble thing the farmers just started making trade posts with their msg...everywhere.

Anyway, with SWTOR getting stale fast, and GW2 and TSW still a few months off (if not more) i would be interested in comming back and giving the game a second try.

Just curious, is the massive pvp stuff still buggy and overly laggy?  Is the pve side of the game still terribly boring and completely seperated from pvp?

Whats changed since a month after launch?

I remember leaving when the fort seiges or whatever where just too unplayable to participate in, i saw that as a huge lure of the game and not being able to play without memory leak crashes and terrible latency and fps turned me off.

Is there still life in this game or is it completely run by gold farmer?

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

First few weeks of April

I wish...No they are going entirely free 2 play / pay to win cash shop. 

Everyone who didn't already quit and or is leaving to Tera will be going F2P. 

Compete at end game with heavy payers unless you plan to dedicate a very significant protion of your life to the game. Expect to get rocked by people out spending you just like in most every other F2P game.  If you have no desire to compete at a high level then the F2P model is for you. 

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Originally posted by Calintz333

Compete at end game with heavy payers unless you plan to dedicate a very significant protion of your life to the game. Expect to get rocked by people out spending you just like in most every other F2P game.  If you have no desire to compete at a high level then the F2P model is for you. 

So your saying that end game is purely pvp? There is no pve end game at all?

• mikeoffymikeoffy Member UncommonPosts: 31

There site says free to play goes live April 11th

• SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by Crunchy221

Well the site clearly states no content or access restrictions, the whole game free.

Now this leads me to a good question...what are they going to be selling?

I remember when it launched the insane amount of in your face botting and farmer spam...not a thing was done.  When they added the text jumble thing the farmers just started making trade posts with their msg...everywhere.

Anyway, with SWTOR getting stale fast, and GW2 and TSW still a few months off (if not more) i would be interested in comming back and giving the game a second try.

Just curious, is the massive pvp stuff still buggy and overly laggy?  Is the pve side of the game still terribly boring and completely seperated from pvp?

Whats changed since a month after launch?

I remember leaving when the fort seiges or whatever where just too unplayable to participate in, i saw that as a huge lure of the game and not being able to play without memory leak crashes and terrible latency and fps turned me off.

Is there still life in this game or is it completely run by gold farmer?

After playing the trial account till near to max level, I can relate to your post. The game is in death-bed and thus the only survival move. The move could have been better with a new server launch and brushing out some of the outdated content of the game.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Stop listening to these people.  Most of them are just trolls.  The F2P in NA comes out April 11, and it will be fully F2P with no restrictions (the same model is used for L2).  They have stated it will not be pay 2 win either as people have claimed.  End game in Aion is a mix of PvP and PvE, there is PvE only content, and I know of people who get tons of PvP points and gear through PvE.  A large part of end game is PvP in the Abyss though.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

nah hes talkin crap. as the guy above said the end content is pvpve. for example u have around 5 pve instances and 3 pvp instances. then there are also the fort raids where u sometimes fight the opposite faction and sometimes the npc faction. and also the high lvl map is pvp area.

edit: there are also 3 different order u can join. they give u daily and weekly quests to gather items which u can exchange for gear and stuff. and there are other daily quests to get medals which u need for gettin the pvp gear.