Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect 3 - Why do so many hate the ending? ****SPOILERS****

Comments

• FntSize72LOLFntSize72LOL Member Posts: 45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_A7SeawU4

This video sums my feelings up on the subject pretty nicely. He did a pretty good job at vocalizing what people are feeling with the current ending.

Forbes has also been on a roll when it comes to defending the ME Userbase against "Entitlement" Attacks. They've put out multiple articles in the last few days. This being their latest article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/15/upset-mass-effect-fans-entitled-gamers-or-responsible-consumers/

But the last few days have been explosive over on BSN. There are threads getting upwards from 2-8 posts a minute basically stating how bad the ending was and how they hope that Bioware will make it right.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

But, to repeat an earlier comment I made, regardless of the disappointing ending the ME series was amazing.  So good that I don't hate on them for the poor ending.  I was very emotionally invested in the series, which is rare for a game, and was very sad in the final walk Shepard made before the final push.  Where he talked to each main NPCs one more time.  Just felt like it should and to quote Jim Morrison:  "This is the end.  My only friend, the end.."

I think for a lot of people, the "ending" robs a lot of worthiness of ME3.  There is no point in playing it again.  With the first, there was at least a few reasons (who you save or kill), and in ME2, there were countless variables as far as replayability.

In ME3, there are none.  There are no visual changes depending on who lives or dies.  All endings are the same.

Though here's my theory for a better ending:

You "wake up."  You go to the Citadel.  And you encounter a projection of the Catalyst again (this time make him a more foreboding figure, as you now see him as he is.)  You resolve to destroy the Reapers.  He tries to persuade you otherwise.  Points out how neccessary they are to evolution.  That if not for the Reapers, the Protheans would've continued to enslave  and enforce their fascistic worldview upon the galaxy.  Rather than being individuals, they would be assimilated.

Then point out that in this "cycle", while things are different, are they really worth saving?  Have the Catalyst point out how much humanity has been held back and ignored.  Point out how the Asari have been holding back all the other races, hiding the Prothean tech they had in their backyard which led to all their advancements (and why they were so skilled at biotics)  Point out how the salarians committed genocide upon the krogan once they outlived their usefulness.  Point out how the quarians created the geth, only to dismiss them once they began to think for themselves, and preferred a destructive war rather than granting their synthetic slaves freedom.

If Shepard rejects this line of argumentation showing how peace has been achieved between geth and quarian, and the genophage has been cured, the Catalyst simply asks "how long do you honestly think such would last?"  He then offers a choice.  If Shepard keeps the Reapers, he will cause humanity to ascend, to become the dominant race of the next 50,000 years.  Shepard of course could refuse and say "we will take our chances", or perhaps a third option (for a true red renegade), a synthesis of reaper technology with Shepard's DNA., this leads to a new species, they become the Reaper's vanguard of destruction over the next several centuries, and they become the dominant race in the next cycle.  (Remember, the Reaper's destruction of the Protheans was so final and complete as to take nearly a millenium, so there is sufficient time for such a race to populate.)

Even make such an ending more enticing by pointing out in an epilogue how problems are still flaring up over the galaxy, and the allliance is barely hanging on, but at least, for the first time in the history of the galaxy, the fate of organics is truly their own.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

@ Original Poster

The issue most seem to have is that all of the endings are basicly the same with only the colors changing. Also there is a second issue, in order to get the perfect ending you need to have an "Effective" Military Strength of 5000 this is not possible without raising your "Galactic Readiness" to over the default of 50%. BioWare had claimed that users would not be forced to use Muliplayer or moblie games to experience the perfect ended but lied, it's not possible so people are throwing tantrums because they have to play multiplayer or another game inorder to unlock the perfect ending.

However all that really changes is the addition of one small scene that happens so quickly you could miss it so again there is no real change.

SPOILERS!

In this ending Shepard does not die.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• FntSize72LOLFntSize72LOL Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by iceman00

But, to repeat an earlier comment I made, regardless of the disappointing ending the ME series was amazing.  So good that I don't hate on them for the poor ending.  I was very emotionally invested in the series, which is rare for a game, and was very sad in the final walk Shepard made before the final push.  Where he talked to each main NPCs one more time.  Just felt like it should and to quote Jim Morrison:  "This is the end.  My only friend, the end.."

I think for a lot of people, the "ending" robs a lot of worthiness of ME3.  There is no point in playing it again.  With the first, there was at least a few reasons (who you save or kill), and in ME2, there were countless variables as far as replayability.

In ME3, there are none.  There are no visual changes depending on who lives or dies.  All endings are the same.

Though here's my theory for a better ending:

You "wake up."  You go to the Citadel.  And you encounter a projection of the Catalyst again (this time make him a more foreboding figure, as you now see him as he is.)  You resolve to destroy the Reapers.  He tries to persuade you otherwise.  Points out how neccessary they are to evolution.  That if not for the Reapers, the Protheans would've continued to enslave  and enforce their fascistic worldview upon the galaxy.  Rather than being individuals, they would be assimilated.

Then point out that in this "cycle", while things are different, are they really worth saving?  Have the Catalyst point out how much humanity has been held back and ignored.  Point out how the Asari have been holding back all the other races, hiding the Prothean tech they had in their backyard which led to all their advancements (and why they were so skilled at biotics)  Point out how the salarians committed genocide upon the krogan once they outlived their usefulness.  Point out how the quarians created the geth, only to dismiss them once they began to think for themselves, and preferred a destructive war rather than granting their synthetic slaves freedom.

If Shepard rejects this line of argumentation showing how peace has been achieved between geth and quarian, and the genophage has been cured, the Catalyst simply asks "how long do you honestly think such would last?"  He then offers a choice.  If Shepard keeps the Reapers, he will cause humanity to ascend, to become the dominant race of the next 50,000 years.  Shepard of course could refuse and say "we will take our chances", or perhaps a third option (for a true red renegade), a synthesis of reaper technology with Shepard's DNA., this leads to a new species, they become the Reaper's vanguard of destruction over the next several centuries, and they become the dominant race in the next cycle.  (Remember, the Reaper's destruction of the Protheans was so final and complete as to take nearly a millenium, so there is sufficient time for such a race to populate.)

Even make such an ending more enticing by pointing out in an epilogue how problems are still flaring up over the galaxy, and the allliance is barely hanging on, but at least, for the first time in the history of the galaxy, the fate of organics is truly their own.

Hell, i'd feel ALOT more satisfied if it ended up like a DA:O type ending where you had a small wall of text filling in some of the missing blanks, and giving us information about how the galaxy faired with losing all the mass relays. Giving information about all the squad members we cared about. Nope, we get a cutscene that is 95% recycled, lots of plot holes,  and a confusing bit with the normady trying to outrun some sort of energy wave which ultimately knocks them out of FTL and somehow they crash land on a habitable planet (Pretty fortunate right?).

Although, of course i would be all for the entire ending being retconed and completely reworked in some sort of optional DLC that re does the ending in a way that provides closure and allows for, Atleast the illusion, that shepard is making a decision on his own terms besides uncharacteristically blindly following the suggestion of the master of all the reapers (Which isn't it supposed to be the enemy?). Also, scrap the whole normady scene, it makes no sense that joker and the normady crew would abandon shepard when it mattered the most.

I guess what gets me the most is shepard is a symbol of defiance. Soverign told him that he would fail, yet he beat soverign. The collectors kill shepard, but he ultimately comes back to life, and manages to destroy the collectors desipite Harbingers best efforts to stop him. Shepard Destroys the Alpha relay, sacrificing hundreds of thousands of lives to delay the invasion. How does it make sense that Shepard would just agree with the godchild and accept his "3" choices. He doesn't even attempt to argue with, or even reject the gaurdian.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Looking back, it's true what everyone is saying. The ending does seem rushed, and the ending where Shepard doesn't die could mean it's either gonna be in a dlc, or maybe they'll have a Mass Effect 3-2. lol

Or they could just finish it off with books or something.

In the end, I guess they left a lot up to personal interpretation, but honestly, no matter what, I don't see how Shepard lived... either he was blown up by the Reaper, or he was destroyed because he was partially synthetic if that end sequence was real.

Well, at least the ending got people talking. If they do put out a dlc that goes into more detail on the ending, then I will have lost respect for BioWare almost entirely, however...

Unless they give it out for free to make up for it or something. Which they won't.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

A) there is only one ending. No matter what you dp the 3 color choices play exactly the same except the color of the relay explosions. In all endings Shepard dies the normandy with all your crew that were on earth somehow abandons earth to try and out run the devistation of the destroyed relays. and crashes on some unknown jungle word that is not earth (check out the moons) were at least tali, edi and garrius will die  either to starvation/infection/or edi's central intelligence being the now crashed/destroyed normandy. The fleets at earth are stranded there never to return to their homeworlds due to the mass relays being destroyed (distances home far to far even for FTL drives. and science not up to reaper level to rebuild the alien relays) So very likely any remaining alien fleet are stuck with a destroyed earth for sole support,

b) as stated none of your actions make a difference in how the game ends. except maybe the red choice that lets you see shepard take his final breath where the blue choice simply disintagrates him.

As late as Jan of this year Casey at Bioware was promising multiple endings where your actions in game actuall had effect. unfortunately add to that lie the holes in the plot (why did the normandys crew adandon both sherpard and earth to go running for the mass realy how did they get ahead of the destruction beams anyway etc  and the ending was not only sad but made no sense overall

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Just watch all 7 endings side by side and see if it doesn't piss you off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA&feature=player_embedded

Also:

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by EvilestTwin

Also:

LOL funny picture.  Focusing on the ending does make one get a bit upset.  But those 10 minutes of "what the F is going on?" at the end didn't negate the dozens and dozens of hours of enjoyment ME1-3 gave me.

My guess is they will sell a DLC that fully resolves it.  I won't be buying it though, but I will youtube any additional endings they wish to add.  I felt like I got all the war assets I could possibly get (other than a bugged Hannar diplomat mission and the lame multiplayer scaling factor) so I will just youtube the best ending when they release it and pretend it was mine LOL...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

My favorite image from the Mass Effect Endings Reception meme site (if you can believe it already has one).

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Also:

This says it all.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

The reason why I hated the end of Mass Effect 3 is beause it wasn't the end.

It was a cliffhanger that implied I could purchase the "Real Ending" DLC  at a later date.

The rest of this seems like Bioware manipulating the situation to get maximum publicity out of this. It seems to be working. Don't get me wrong, this could backfire if nobody buys the DLC and Bioware's next project. However that seems highly unlikely.   

• KrasnijKrasnij Member Posts: 40

I hate the end because it did not deliver what  bioware promised, that i would see an endingthat reflects my choices.  ihave 3 complete playthrough chars from ME1 and ME2 with a full renegade, full paragon , and a bad one with some lost companions. the ending is the same if i played full paragon or full renegade, it does not change anything at all, what matters ist the galactic readiness score, so basically, just buy ME3 and forget the first 2 games, because you can have the same ending,

ending cinematic is a slap to the face i dont know what happens with my teammates or civilisations, all ME portals destroyed? i thought that would build up supernovas.. (ME2 reference) with all races stranded around a near destroyed earth.. ok yeah , leads to extinction anyway? what did i save? nothing..

daddy why do i hate the end of me3? "because its shit my son" ....

Also:

LOL funny picture.  Focusing on the ending does make one get a bit upset.  But those 10 minutes of "what the F is going on?" at the end didn't negate the dozens and dozens of hours of enjoyment ME1-3 gave me.

My guess is they will sell a DLC that fully resolves it.  I won't be buying it though, but I will youtube any additional endings they wish to add.  I felt like I got all the war assets I could possibly get (other than a bugged Hannar diplomat mission and the lame multiplayer scaling factor) so I will just youtube the best ending when they release it and pretend it was mine LOL...

And thats about it, i too had such a great time with the 3 games, that i really dont understand why the last 10 minutes had to be that bad, i mean if you look at me2 ending, not even ending, the start of the suicide mission where you sat and watched what would happen, the moment you realize not buying hull upgrad does kill jack or even grunt.. that was spectacular, and me3.. no matter what i did, i have 5000 points EMS points, i can choose all same endings....

its not as good as me1 or me2 ending...

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I wasn't blown away by the ending it could have been better but in my opinion it wasn't  really as bad as many people say it is either.

Someone said it wouldn't make sense that the Reapers were created to kill organics so that synthetic lifeforms wouldn't kill the organics.If you do put it like that it does sound like a huge hole in the story but the fact was that the reapers were created to kill some organics (the ones advances enough to create the synthetic lifeforms) but not all where as if they would just let them live they would eventually create beings that would kill all organic being.

So i think it make somewhat sense the real problem here is why  would it happen all 50000 years that does not make any sense.

Someone else said that all the decisions and all the work you did it the games wouldn't matter since in the end its all about picking one of 3 switches so you could just have waited for them on Earth jump into the beam and hit the switch.

Well that is a rather stupid thing to say i am afraid for the whole scenario wouldn't even have happened if not for your actions before there wouldn't even have been the switches since no one would have worked on the Crucible and even if they would have worked on it without the help it wouldn't have been finished in time nor would there be enough ships to protect it while bringing it to earth hell the Citadel would not even be anywhere near earth if not for all the things you did working towards the end.

Like i said i don't think the ending was awesome but it was good enough and i am rather pleased we did not get one of the standard Happy Endings.

I have to replay ME1 since i want to know if the VI on Ilos doesnt state that the Reaper destroy every organic lifeform, not only the advanced ones, the protheon in Me3 states that he knew asari and turian when they were just evolving, funny, but he never saw the citadel itself and said he was born in a time the reaper already attacked, doesnt sound any logic to me.. going on sightseein on younger races while defending from the reaper attacks?? come on, to many plotholes and unlogic statements.

until me3 i thought the reaper would destroy any organic life they find... and that organic life just evolves from scratch every time.. so by the time the reaper whiped out the prothean empire, we humans wouldnt even exist.

like a dalek im confused, why no logic, explain!! or just exterminate...

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

/thread

Its not as simple as happy ending/sad ending

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Was just a bad game compared to ME2.

I felt like I couldnt make the choices I wanted to make and I never had that feeling in ME2.

Most choices didnt have any effect at all. ME3 was based on your ME2 save, not on the choices you made during the game. IMO. bad, bad, bad.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    So I've only done the "best" ending so far, so I may be way off, but I deinitwly see consequences in the endings.

If you don't save Anderson you can't live at the end correct?

The war assets play a part too right? I mean the difference between Savin Earth and it getting completely destroyed seems like a big difference to me.

Sure it isn't perfect, and I really wish they would have locked off one of the options at the end based on your paragon/renegade status.

That would at least add some value to your decisions. Like a paragon couldn't do the renegade but both could take the neutral.

In that sense, the paragon Shepard would always die (assuming the same endings) no matter what.

That would be a bit more interesting.

If you think about the endings, they fit this. Destroying all synthetic life is very "renegade." he's willing to get the job done at any cost. That's why Anderson is shown doing the renegade thing. The renegade sees the mission he originally set out for and will sacrifice anything to complete that mission.

Allowing the paragon to make this choice doesn't make sense. He is willing to listen to all sides of the story and is open minded. He can admit he was wrong and take the control choice. The full renegade would never do this.

I think that blocking these endings off based on rep but allowing the synthesis to go either way would make these endings more compelling. It would a least validate all of the choices you made throughout the series.

Meh I'm tired. Time to stop rambling.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524
    I myself liked the ending I got. I guess people don't like the fact that the ending is pretty much the same, regardless of your choices.

Eleanor Rigby.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

I believe in the indoctrination theory personally and by that I think the games "ending" is brilliant.

The main thing that makes me believe that theory is simply the kid and the normandy crash landing with people getting out (the exact people I was running down the hill with, except joker obviously).

It could all be bad writing on Biowares part but I'd like to believe the theory is true and shepard isn't done just yet. 

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Jimmy562

I believe in the indoctrination theory personally and by that I think the games "ending" is brilliant.
    The main thing that makes me believe that theory is simply the kid and the normandy crash landing with people getting out (the exact people I was running down the hill with, except joker obviously).
    It could all be bad writing on Biowares part but I'd like to believe the theory is true and shepard isn't done just yet. 

I just read about that theory. Oh my God did that blow me away.
    Furthermore, if the endings as they stand are fake, then the resulting vitriol regarding them may well have been planned. Think about that one for a minute — BioWare might have manipulated us into hating the ending of the game. In essence, BioWare would have indoctrinated just about every Mass Effect player into thinking, like Shepard, that the events as they stand are what happened, when that assumption is actually untrue. It wasn’t just Shepard, a cartoon you control, who was indoctrinated — you were indoctrinated, forced to make the Reapers’ choices just as he was, whether you wanted to or not.

Eleanor Rigby.

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

Originally posted by Treekodar

Furthermore, if the endings as they stand are fake, then the resulting vitriol regarding them may well have been planned. Think about that one for a minute — BioWare might have manipulated us into hating the ending of the game. In essence, BioWare would have indoctrinated just about every Mass Effect player into thinking, like Shepard, that the events as they stand are what happened, when that assumption is actually untrue. It wasn’t just Shepard, a cartoon you control, who was indoctrinated — you were indoctrinated, forced to make the Reapers’ choices just as he was, whether you wanted to or not.

ahh those bioware trolls

it's two days olds

http://www.gamefront.com/rumor-mass-effect-3-dlc-the-truth-due-in-april/

"All that content, and this might as well be labeled an expansion pack." 

"And it's free"

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

I was satisfied with the ending. It was very clever ending. A huge decision.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Treekodar

It's the likely case that Bioware knowingly screwed up ME3's out of the box ending so they can later provide the real ending... for a price.

In otherwords, when you bought ME3, you were sold an incomplete game for $60 (more if you got the day one DLC or collector's edition).

• DarkwayDarkway Member UncommonPosts: 15

For me at least ,the endings offer nothing but question marks,theres obviously more...so the end,simply is not the end...which naturally leaves me feeling fustrated,pissed off and wanting more (Shepard is still breathing in one ending).I'm equally not happy with the mass relay system going down as it destroy's the galatic community,the game as we know it can not work with out this relay system.....so technically it brings an end to gallatic travel in the franchise.

As we live in the age of DLC I hope that the answers will be provided (at a cost,naturally) but part of me does wonder why Bioware produced the endings as they are,if they planed to flesh out the endings via DLC then why not just present the endings in such a way.......the Normandy mid mass relay travel just did not make any sense,where did that come from?

If shepard died...fine.....mass relay gone.....fine.....but including extra scenes that conflict with these endings or hint at unknown aspects of the finale are obviouly going to leave people like me unsatisfied.I don't even know if DLC would be valid with out shepard being in it,I have zero interest in new skins or map packs for the multiplayer,even exploring the Normandy crash site seems irrelevant with the mass relay gone,no way to get home.

Ironically I saw a youtube ending which showed Joker stepping out of the crashed Normandy,then out pops EDI and then Liara.......I couldn't help wondering,how come my Shepard died to save the known galaxy and Joker gets marooned on a planet paridise with two sexy babes....... Jokers ending at least turned out pretty sweet.

....a terrific franchise,a license to make money for Bioware/EA,gotta wonder why they ended it in such a way.