Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So ANET can't afford a forum? Why?

Comments

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

they avoided 10 million "Whens Release?" "Can I play now" "How do I Play" "Give me beta access!" and ect threads... bravo to them, more time to develop, less time spent moderating.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

Crazy that this is what’s troubling people... And they use Social networking sites;

1. http://twitter.com/#!/guildwars2

2. http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2

3. And Googles http://www.youtube.com/user/arenanetofficial

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Sylvarii

It's simply clever marketing tactics to have your fans go out and spread the gospel rather than contain them, in my opinion.

Also it saves several mod and IT positions and your devs won't be stimulated to waste time on answering "Genuine concerns", "Open letters to Anet", etc, etc. That's a lot of time, money and effort saved while you stimulate your word of mouth marketing by not keeping them to yourself at the same time.

If you look at how big the SWTOR forums were before launch (millions and millions of pageviews) and how much of the most zealous fans were "locked up" in there, there is some merrit to the tactic to have them spread out over multiple fansites, genre sites, etc. for the sake of word of mouth. At least pre-release.

Glad it's your opinion because it seems like you are Just guessing the reason why lol.

Anyway,don't be supprised if ArenaNet have a support forum for GW2,after all they have one for GW.

https://forum.guildwars.com/forum

It just makes sense: better word of mouth, less costs. Win-win for them. Can't blame 'em. And just a support forum isn't the same thing tbh.

But personally I would really appreciate having realm forums as a tool to get your server together and well organized for WvWvW. In general realm forums work wonders to help shape communities and find likeminded people and new friends. SWToR didn't have realm forums and that really sucked in my opinion; community felt like anonymous grains of sand.

Who said a support forum is the same thing?

Anyway ,you can get all the other stuff on gw2guru,no need for a official gw2 forum.If you need help or tec then you have a support forum,that's plenty good enough.

Forget about swtor,this is GW2 we are talking about,get that game out of your system.

• catplaycatplay Member Posts: 71

It's simply clever marketing tactics to have your fans go out and spread the gospel rather than contain them, in my opinion.
    Also it saves several mod and IT positions and your devs won't be stimulated to waste time on answering "Genuine concerns", "Open letters to Anet", etc, etc. That's a lot of time, money and effort saved while you stimulate your word of mouth marketing by not keeping them to yourself at the same time.
    If you look at how big the SWTOR forums were before launch (millions and millions of pageviews) and how much of the most zealous fans were "locked up" in there, there is some merrit to the tactic to have them spread out over multiple fansites, genre sites, etc. for the sake of word of mouth. At least pre-release.

Glad it's your opinion because it seems like you are Just guessing the reason why lol.
    Anyway,don't be supprised if ArenaNet have a support forum for GW2,after all they have one for GW.

It just makes sense: better word of mouth, less costs. Win-win for them. Can't blame 'em. And just a support forum isn't the same thing tbh.
    But personally I would really appreciate having realm forums as a tool to get your server together and well organized for WvWvW. In general realm forums work wonders to help shape communities and find likeminded people and new friends. SWToR didn't have realm forums and that really sucked in my opinion; community felt like anonymous grains of sand.

Anyway ,you can get all the other stuff on gw2guru,no need for a official gw2 forum.If you need help or tec then you have a support forum,that's plenty good enough.
    Forget about swtor,this is GW2 we are talking about,get that game out of your system.

gw2guru non guru or whatever, are no official sites and does not represent the company point of view and support. stop coming with this argument.

Originally posted by Superduper69

[mod edit]

Nope,ArenaNet told us,i'm just relaying that information lol.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    True, they should make a forum and only let people who bought the game post in it, that's the difference between a mmo and a game. I would stop being sarcastic but then I took a small violin in the knee

Originally posted by catplay

gw2guru non guru or whatever, are no official sites and does not represent the company point of view and support. stop coming with this argument.

Who said GW2GURU are official forums?

No official forums,ArenaNet have said this,don't beat yourself up about it.ArenaNet post on GURU all the time,they are happy and most of their supporters are happy.

You are wasting your time lol.

You can always http://www.arena.net/contact/

No official forums,ArenaNet have said this,don't beat yourself up about it.ArenaNet post on GURU all the time,they are happy and most of their supporters are happy.

Yeah.. and this really sounds very serious for a company..

"Folks, lets pass the ball to a random internet site"

"Good idea!"

"Yeah, let them make nice cash from ads also, just because we post from time to time"

"Good idea!"

"We should not worry about customers to much, overall, gw2guru is not our site, they can cry on whatever they want"

"Good idea!"

want me to continue?

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262

"Good idea!"

"Yeah, let them make nice cash from ads also, just because we post from time to time"

"Good idea!"

"We should not worry about customers to much, overall, gw2guru is not our site, they can cry on whatever they want"

"Good idea!"

want me to continue?

Sure, I could use a laugh

"Good idea!"

"Good idea!"

"Good idea!"

want me to continue?

Please do,we are cracking up in the office.image

• makkaalmakkaal Member Posts: 48

"We should not worry about QQing, ungrateful fanboys sour about losing and generally being disproportionally hateful towards other players to much, overall, gw2guru is not our site, they can cry on whatever they want"

Fixed that for you.

Other than that - complaining about a company's marketing strategy? Really?

Let me point out that, in fact, I couldn't care less about these first world problems. I'm just having fun.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Games these days need an official forum in the case of GW2 though I dont mind so much because there is no subscription.  However I do not play games (with a sub) that do not have official forums + server specific forums for community integration and organisation.

It is essential in today's social media blabla.

Lets look at the top mmorpgs number wise right now in the west

WoW - Forums + Server Forums

Lotro - Forums + Server Forums

EvE - Forums 1 Shard

Heck Ill chuck in a midranged oldie: city of heroes - Forums + Server Forums.

These are the top and the most successful.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

"Good idea!"

"Good idea!"

"Good idea!"

want me to continue?

I can only guess the productivity of your work place.

"Good idea!"

"Good idea!"

"Good idea!"

want me to continue?

We often do the same but some how it seems to all come together,targets are reached and everybody get's paid.

But that's a whole other topic,think we are talking about an official forum for GW2 and why ArenaNet choose not to have one.

Any idea?

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

"Good idea!"

"Good idea!"

"Good idea!"

want me to continue?

We often do the same but some how it seems to all come together,targets are reached and everybody get's paid.

But that's a whole other topic,think we are talking about an official forum for GW2 and why ArenaNet choose not to have one.

Any idea?

If you say so. 

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

I am guessing its cheaper to have one maybe two employees focusing on social networking sites part of the time than run even more traffic through their web server and have one or two full time monitors to keep it civil... I think they have used the social web median perfectly and this debate on "they can't afford a forum" is pointless drivel... hmmk! 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Originally posted by Raven322

The sooner the average MMO Joe realises no, his opinions do not matter, no he is not entitled to dictate how a game is played and no, no-one really does care what he thinks on game balance, the quicker MMO Developers can get back to focus on making good games.

For all the screaming, actual player based change in games is minimal, and usually to a game's detriment when it is.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by StriderXed

I think they don't need a forum.

Why so? Customers discussions/opinions/etc does not matter right?

They are using GWGuru forum as their official source and they are communicating with fans trough that forum... so they have a place where they listen to complains, suggestions or answer to questions...They don't actually need an official forum since they are really active and available on the biggest fan forum. I haven't seen a company and devs answering to all these questions, taking suggestions and discussing with fans as much as anet on gwguru forums...

Let's not forget they will have a new website before the game launches, and I think it'll have everything we'll need/want :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by CristianCeo

I am sure they will have a forum up and running when they will release GW2.

I hope so, official is official, no matter what. I preffer to post on an official site and discuss instead anywhere else. In fact they made the game, they should assume this by default.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by CristianCeo

I am sure they will have a forum up and running when they will release GW2.

put this expectation down if you don't want to be disappointed

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by adam_nox

Originally posted by ariboersma

this is silly.. the next thing people will be complaining that Arenanet starts with an A and A is in EA OMG CONSPIRACY!!! They are still considering an official forum, they even did the whole "we cant comment on that" in a recent interview. WHo cares really... all official game forums do is turn into flame wars and the company has to monitor it. THere is already a few forums for that and Anet Devs frequent GW2 guru.

uhh

official forums are the difference between a serious mmo and a game.  It's not optional, if they think it is, they are being stupid.

A "serious MMO" IS a game.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by adam_nox

Originally posted by ariboersma

this is silly.. the next thing people will be complaining that Arenanet starts with an A and A is in EA OMG CONSPIRACY!!! They are still considering an official forum, they even did the whole "we cant comment on that" in a recent interview. WHo cares really... all official game forums do is turn into flame wars and the company has to monitor it. THere is already a few forums for that and Anet Devs frequent GW2 guru.

uhh

official forums are the difference between a serious mmo and a game.  It's not optional, if they think it is, they are being stupid.

Disagree, it is optional. An optional pain in the ass to boot. I like that they don't run an offical forum personally. Most offical forums suck and are a waste of time. Not sure how you come off with opinion that only a serious mmo has forums. Which type of mmo? I don't do mmo-fps or MOBAs, maybe your requirement fits those genre of mmos?

• TheCorrectedTheCorrected Member Posts: 6

I see a lot of MMOs do this and it bugs the hell out of me.

A fansite is not a suitable replacement for an official forum.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by lazjen

I am talking about OFFICIAL forum, I dont care about random internet web sites and what some devs visit. One dev do not represent a company.

Between the wiki, the impending revamp of their website, gw2guru and social media services, I think they've got it well covered.

I personally hate official forums because the moderators (usually company employees) there have to toe the company line.  You generally can't have negative opinion threads there because they'll get killed.  So, you never feel free to give constructive feedback because you never can be sure if the "ban hammer" will fall on you for doing so.

Having been the victim of such an event, I'm never going to participate in official forums again.

So, I'm glad that ANet aren't wasting any money on official forums.

All those negative things exist in spades at Guru.  However, because ANet remains at arm's length, they don't have to take any responsibility for running 'their' forums like a gulag.  They get a free outlet for feedback without any of the responsibility, moral or financial, for operating it.

Still, I hope they decide to open their own forums.  Whatever they do, I'm certain it won't be moderated as unprofessionally as Guru, where they put the inmates in charge of the asylum.

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123

Originally posted by StriderXed

I think they don't need a forum.

Why so? Customers discussions/opinions/etc does not matter right?

Constructive discussions do matter. Whining on the other hand does not. And there is A LOT of whining on official forums of MMO's. I would say around 90-95%.

This discussion has been closed.