Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[mod edit]NO OCEANIC COVERAGE?

ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

I'm really getting sick of [mod edit] companies who disregard the fandom and concerns of countries that don't hit their "most money we can get" list. I've really trusted and respected ArenaNet over their development of this game, and I MIGHT be wrong, but from what I've read in their FAQs and blogs today, it seems that LIKE SWTOR, their will be no physical pre-purchase available in Oceania or other areas outside of Europe and America. Not to mention the fact that we don't know if we'll even have servers "down freakin' under" yet.

Just because we live in a different part of the world, this does not give big game corporations the excuse to say "we don't think they're a key part of our audience" and forget about us. We DO have the internet, you know. We CAN play games down here in the land of teh kangaroos. I don't even care so much about the lack of oceanic servers, rather than at the potential lack of any timely game release at all.

I'm really pissed off at this whole situation. Went through the same with TOR, and I didn't think NCsoft would have the guts to try and pull it off again. Perhaps I was wrong, perhaps I'm right. Opinions? I'd love to hear any info that would clear up my current issue.

I'm really sick of the whole "There's a massive fanbase for X", or "Y would be a WoW-killer if it just had a chance".

There is no massive conspiracy waiting in the MMO playerbase.

There are no "sleeper-agent fans" waiting to convert once the X or Y is unleashed on the world.

Comments

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Wouldn't a physical copy cost significantly more than a digital one because of ridiculous taxes or something anyway?

Actually, there's no physical pre-purchase at all, in any country. So far you can only get a physical copy from retailers like GameStop and Amazon, but those are pre-order, not pre-purchase. They also don't come with the perks offered with a pre-purchase.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

I understand what you're saying, and thanks for the nice tone. Most often these days you'll get the first wave of trolls on a new post, and I can't stand that :)

But yeah, what I mean to say is that I fear there will be no accessibility to the game at all in Oceania, or that our version of the game will be massively delayed or will not go well with our internet connections. In WoW, the lag was bearable, but with hundreds of players in server, cluster-f**king in WvWvW, I'm afraid that ArenaNet won't have any sort of care for our situation. Servers would be nice, but being forced to connect to a server that isn't designed to host overseas players AT ALL would be a bad kick in the teeth.

I'm really sick of the whole "There's a massive fanbase for X", or "Y would be a WoW-killer if it just had a chance".

There are no "sleeper-agent fans" waiting to convert once the X or Y is unleashed on the world.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Zillen
    I'm really getting sick of being gyp'd by companies who disregard the fandom and concerns of countries that don't hit their "most money we can get" list. I've really trusted and respected ArenaNet over their development of this game, and I MIGHT be wrong, but from what I've read in their FAQs and blogs today, it seems that LIKE SWTOR, their will be no physical pre-purchase available in Oceania or other areas outside of Europe and America. Not to mention the fact that we don't know if we'll even have servers "down freakin' under" yet.

Just because we live in a different part of the world, this does not give big game corporations the excuse to say "we don't think they're a key part of our audience" and forget about us. We DO have the internet, you know. We CAN play games down here in the land of teh kangaroos. I don't even care so much about the lack of oceanic servers, rather than at the potential lack of any timely game release at all.

I'm really pissed off at this whole situation. Went through the same with TOR, and I didn't think NCsoft would have the guts to try and pull it off again. Perhaps I was wrong, perhaps I'm right. Opinions? I'd love to hear any info that would clear up my current issue.

We don't even help our selves.. for example, in Adelaide we have a skyscraper hight maximum because we want to preserve "our history". how can we be taken seriously and become a major international city if we cant even build current world shit.

The country doesn't even present itself as an international player.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• KholeKhole Member CommonPosts: 136

Is it that big of a problem? Can't you just download digital?

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Khole

Its 20+ gb download so i am guessing some people prefer physical copies. I am not from oceanic but i can understand OP's frustration. Same thing happened with SWTOR release.

• ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by Mellkor
    Originally posted by Zillen
    I'm really getting sick of being gyp'd by companies who disregard the fandom and concerns of countries that don't hit their "most money we can get" list. I've really trusted and respected ArenaNet over their development of this game, and I MIGHT be wrong, but from what I've read in their FAQs and blogs today, it seems that LIKE SWTOR, their will be no physical pre-purchase available in Oceania or other areas outside of Europe and America. Not to mention the fact that we don't know if we'll even have servers "down freakin' under" yet.Just because we live in a different part of the world, this does not give big game corporations the excuse to say "we don't think they're a key part of our audience" and forget about us. We DO have the internet, you know. We CAN play games down here in the land of teh kangaroos. I don't even care so much about the lack of oceanic servers, rather than at the potential lack of any timely game release at all.I'm really pissed off at this whole situation. Went through the same with TOR, and I didn't think NCsoft would have the guts to try and pull it off again. Perhaps I was wrong, perhaps I'm right. Opinions? I'd love to hear any info that would clear up my current issue.

We don't even help our selves.. for example, in Adelaide we have a skyscraper hight maximum because we want to preserve "our history". how can we be taken seriously and become a major international city if we cant even build current world shit.

The country doesn't even present itself as an international player.

I agree. Our national development is absolutely appalling, and is entirely hindered by the triple-edged blade that a) our country is run by squabbling idiots, b) we care WAY too much about "preserving" historic traditions, and c) we're too far away from the rest of the world, and therefore too stereotyped against for anyone to even given a damn about us.

Our government's NBN is years away, and might not even make it into production once the Liberals take control and assess the situation (and yes, I'm pretty goddamn certain that the Opposition will take the cake next election).

We can't even change our own country's flag, a flag entirely constructed to show that we are bitches to another, SMALLER country, because every time we try and push that the Queen and the poms don't do shit for us, a million and one nonagenarian war veterans hobble out into the streets and yell out until the parliament turns and gives us Republicans the finger. There's no progress being made, because we can't move forward; we're trapped by our unwillingness to let go of old problems.

No offense to anyone, seeing as they are my fellow Australians, but we seriously need to let the cranky, stubborn veterans, "pioneers", glaze-eyed politicians and monarchists finish their cycle and GTFO so that we can sweep away tradition, advance our technologies, and actually stand at half the height of any other country in the world.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767
    Every single game launch is the same shouldn't u guys be used to it by now?

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• robintussinrobintussin Member UncommonPosts: 9

Don't mean to sound blunt or disrescpective as I do appreciate what they've done for Australia, but seriously, the old generation that keeps making things go to shit for Australia really need to die off already or get their minds out of the gutter, seriously.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Europe was Anet's biggest market for GW1, America is a big potential market and Anet's home market. It makes sense that those two regions are the ones Anet focuses on initially.

I wonder what they're doing in Asia though, since it's where NCsoft is and MMO's are quite popular there.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

australian internet is gimped. not only is it expensive, they often have ridiculous downloading limits. in a lot of cases, that 20g would be the limit, and then the account would be "shaped" so you get a bandwidth of about 56k. so, back to the 1990s with you.

it's pretty bad, really. and probably why a bunch of us get so angry, because it's frustrating that in this day and age, the word "global" isn't quite what it seems to gaming companies.

edit: and that's odd that a "massive" game can't even launch globally. as we saw with swtor, it really alienates and gives a negative view of the product to potential customers. i know while i wasn't heaving with rage, i didn't care enough so when my game company ordered copies in from overseas and offered me one, i know i felt pretty meh about swtor by that stage.

my best reaction was: lukewarm. get it? LUKEwarm? swtor?

oh, nevermind.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Do you have any idea how many games over the decades have never even come to the western world because theyre only released in Asian markets. Not just MMOs but console games too. If we're lucky enough to get some of those games, its usually at least a year, if not several years later, and usually with some pretty terrible Engirsh. Even now there are still ongoing projects by fans to translate and provide patches for some really good games that were only released in countires like Japan on older consoles, rather than the companies releasing it internationally.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Well I'd say its time to apply for a visa and citizenship and move to The US of A!  Then your problems would be solved!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by headphones

australian internet is gimped. not only is it expensive, they often have ridiculous downloading limits. in a lot of cases, that 20g would be the limit, and then the account would be "shaped" so you get a bandwidth of about 56k. so, back to the 1990s with you.

it's pretty bad, really. and probably why a bunch of us get so angry, because it's frustrating that in this day and age, the word "global" isn't quite what it seems to gaming companies.
    edit: and that's odd that a "massive" game can't even launch globally. as we saw with swtor, it really alienates and gives a negative view of the product to potential customers. i know while i wasn't heaving with rage, i didn't care enough so when my game company ordered copies in from overseas and offered me one, i know i felt pretty meh about swtor by that stage.
    oh, nevermind.

Valve's steam is partnered with Australian ISP's To offer "free downloads" to customers, So there are companies that do offer Australians options..

If GW2 was offered at the steam store then it would be potentially "free to download".

On a side note, how will upgrading to fiber optics(NBN) tackle the lat issue?

Well I'd say its time to apply for a visa and citizenship and move to The US of A! Then your problems would be solved!
    Don't make me laugh..wait, too late lol. :)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

oh, nevermind.

in comparison, even tho we are in this shitty situation that probably everyone knows, Portugal is sounding pretty sweet to me

Originally posted by robintussin

Don't mean to sound blunt or disrescpective as I do appreciate what they've done for Australia, but seriously, the old generation that keeps making things go to shit for Australia really need to die off already or get their minds out of the gutter, seriously.

Come on guys..Australia is awesome. I lived there for 5 years. Just think about it... you could have been born and living in places like India and Pakistan. (i lived there too). And trust me you don't want to live there.

You guys should be more thankful for country you live in.

Originally posted by Fir3line

oh, nevermind.

in comparison, even tho we are in this shitty situation that probably everyone knows, Portugal is sounding pretty sweet to me

my wife constantly complains because she's from south korea. she's not used to internet as slow as our broadband, doesn't understand why it has a download limit and for the life of her can't see why we get charged 70 bucks a month for what we've got.

i always thought she was exagerating. then i went to south korea.

dammit. no wonder they've got such a thriving gaming industry. it's because their government has worked hard to unleash the internet's capacity.

makes you wonder what the hell our "superior" western governments are up to.

Originally posted by Fir3line

oh, nevermind.

my wife constantly complains because she's from south korea. she's not used to internet as slow as our broadband, doesn't understand why it has a download limit and for the life of her can't see why we get charged 70 bucks a month for what we've got.

i always thought she was exagerating. then i went to south korea.

dammit. no wonder they've got such a thriving gaming industry. it's because their government has worked hard to unleash the internet's capacity.

makes you wonder what the hell our "superior" western governments are up to.

In comparison, I pay 30 bucks for 50mbps fiber, phone with unlimited landline calls, and 70 Tv channels

I think 70 bucks would get me something like a 240mbps fiber line

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

I know that australia is gimped as hell due to being a island in nowhere but

I would suggest you to see more of the world before saying that you live in a shitty place

/firstworldproblems

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

Originally posted by dinams

I would suggest you to see more of the world before saying that you live in a shitty place

/firstworldproblems

I agree, it is sad to see that the biggest problem of these people is 'slow internet'. I always look at people living in countries which are far worse than mine with real problems (not the shallow ones) and thank God for where i am born and brought up. 

/firstworldproblems

if we were talking about the average gorgeousness of a babe on a beach, i doubt you'd hear many complaints from me. but we're talking internet speed and download limits as a barrier to a game. in that way, australia lags (hehe - i'm funny) behind many countries whose economy is often weaker than ours so we have no real excuse other than our politicians still living in the past with no idea of what technology is or what it might achieve.

context, guy. look it up.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

/firstworldproblems

if we were talking about the average gorgeousness of a babe on a beach, i doubt you'd hear many complaints from me. but we're talking internet speed and download limits as a barrier to a game. in that way, australia lags (hehe - i'm funny) behind many countries whose economy is often weaker than ours so we have no real excuse other than our politicians still living in the past with no idea of what technology is or what it might achieve.

last time I checked all the australians threads like these always end up:

-Oh god it sucks to live here because internet connection sucks

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

/firstworldproblems

I am sorry but our comments are not regarding your post alone but the general impression from other posts that Australia is not worth living because our internet speeds are crappy. Which sounds very shallow to me atleast.

Not saying that you were tryign to say the same.

• Stealthman06Stealthman06 Member UncommonPosts: 35

Forgive me if I'm wrong but can't you people just order the US or UK version from Amazon or Gamestop, and have it shiped over to you?

MMORPG Forums: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

• burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420

Ok, but more importanlty, is "Are Australians able to pre-purchase the Physical Collectors Edition Come April 10th?" 

If you dont know what Im talking about...um...look here:

https://buy.guildwars2.com/collectors-edition

Now that you are frothing at the mouth, I will be surely pissed if (Like TERA) they restrict posting the physical collectors edition outside the US.

Just a hint NCSOFT...DONT DO THIS!! I WILL GIVE YOU $170 (INC POSTAGE) ON APRIL 10 FOR THE CE!!!

So please. Let us Aussies be able to order it. Thankyou. :)

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Come on guys, digital is better. Its Enviromental friendly, you dont fill your house with garbage. You dont wait for shipment, just download it. I dont see a single positive side of the box.