Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So ANET can't afford a forum? Why?

catplaycatplay Member Posts: 71

I mean.. every serious company can, but not them? I guess they do not like peoples to come and said what they do not like?

What do you think?

Comments

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

I think they don't need a forum.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Who ever said they couldn't afford one?

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

this is silly.. the next thing people will be complaining that Arenanet starts with an A and A is in EA OMG CONSPIRACY!!! They are still considering an official forum, they even did the whole "we cant comment on that" in a recent interview. WHo cares really... all official game forums do is turn into flame wars and the company has to monitor it. THere is already a few forums for that and Anet Devs frequent GW2 guru.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by ariboersma

this is silly.. the next thing people will be complaining that Arenanet starts with an A and A is in EA OMG CONSPIRACY!!! They are still considering an official forum, they even did the whole "we cant comment on that" in a recent interview. WHo cares really... all official game forums do is turn into flame wars and the company has to monitor it. THere is already a few forums for that and Anet Devs frequent GW2 guru.

uhh

official forums are the difference between a serious mmo and a game.  It's not optional, if they think it is, they are being stupid.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

Not having a 'forum' would raise their reputation even more. Official forums are the bane of todays mmo's.

• catplaycatplay Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by StriderXed
    I think they don't need a forum.

Why so? Customers discussions/opinions/etc does not matter right?
  • makkaalmakkaal Member Posts: 48

[...] and Anet Devs frequent GW2 guru.

This. As far as I'm concerned, they don't need one. Every company of that size has a whole department entirely devoted to marketing, including customer feedback, which scans various forums, youtube, reddit and what have you on a regular basis, which in my eyes is a LOT more significant and reliable than giving fanboys a place to rant about mostly irrelevant or misunderstood stuff.

(edit: grammar, punctuation)

Let me point out that, in fact, I couldn't care less about these first world problems. I'm just having fun.

Originally posted by makkaal

This. As far as I'm concerned, they don't need one. Every company of that size has a whole department entirely devoted to marketing, including customer feedback that scan various forums, youtube, reddit and what have you on a regular basis, which in my eyes is a LOT more significant and reliable than giving fanboys a place to rant about mostly irrelevant or misunderstood stuff.

I am talking about OFFICIAL forum, I dont care about random internet web sites and what some devs visit. One dev do not represent a company.

Originally posted by catplay

This. As far as I'm concerned, they don't need one. Every company of that size has a whole department entirely devoted to marketing, including customer feedback that scan various forums, youtube, reddit and what have you on a regular basis, which in my eyes is a LOT more significant and reliable than giving fanboys a place to rant about mostly irrelevant or misunderstood stuff.

I am talking about OFFICIAL forum, I dont care about random internet web sites and what some devs visit. One dev do not represent a company.

I understood that. And a big company like ANet doesn't care about tirades, but honest feedback, and speaking from personal experience, that's more likely to happen elsewhere than an official forum. And one mod does not represent a company either, a press release, blog, interview from an official site (which they obviously have) does. 

Let me point out that, in fact, I couldn't care less about these first world problems. I'm just having fun.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

It's simply clever marketing tactics to have your fans go out and spread the gospel rather than contain them, in my opinion.

Also it saves several mod and IT positions and your devs won't be stimulated to waste time on answering "Genuine concerns", "Open letters to Anet", etc, etc. That's a lot of time, money and effort saved while you stimulate your word of mouth marketing by not keeping them to yourself at the same time.

If you look at how big the SWTOR forums were before launch (millions and millions of pageviews) and how much of the most zealous fans were "locked up" in there, there is some merrit to the tactic to have them spread out over multiple fansites, genre sites, etc. for the sake of word of mouth. At least pre-release.

• GrimfargoGrimfargo Member UncommonPosts: 59

And whats the difference. They will have a few person (Community manager) who will check the "official" forum (they already do but not on their "official" forum). To talk with DEVs directly, there is a betatest forum.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

GW1 didn't have forums so I wouldn't be surprised if there were no official forums for GW2 too.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• lazjenlazjen Member Posts: 17

Between the wiki, the impending revamp of their website, gw2guru and social media services, I think they've got it well covered.

I personally hate official forums because the moderators (usually company employees) there have to toe the company line.  You generally can't have negative opinion threads there because they'll get killed.  So, you never feel free to give constructive feedback because you never can be sure if the "ban hammer" will fall on you for doing so.

Having been the victim of such an event, I'm never going to participate in official forums again.

So, I'm glad that ANet aren't wasting any money on official forums.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I understood that. And a big company like ANet doesn't care about tirades, but honest feedback, and speaking from personal experience, that's more likely to happen elsewhere than an official forum. And one mod does not represent a company either, a press release, blog, interview from an official site (which they obviously have) does. 

Exactly. Real opinions from experienced players never happens on official forums. All you get are whiners who are often too dumb to function or butt kissers. A good example is Everquest 2... the developers listen to the idiots on the official forums when they should be looking at EQ2Flames instead for proper discussion about game mechanics and features.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Everything is fair when it comes to GW2, not having an official forum is also great. if it was any other MMO people here would be ripping it apart for same reason.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by DarkPony

It's simply clever marketing tactics to have your fans go out and spread the gospel rather than contain them, in my opinion.

Also it saves several mod and IT positions and your devs won't be stimulated to waste time on answering "Genuine concerns", "Open letters to Anet", etc, etc. That's a lot of time, money and effort saved while you stimulate your word of mouth marketing by not keeping them to yourself at the same time.

If you look at how big the SWTOR forums were before launch (millions and millions of pageviews) and how much of the most zealous fans were "locked up" in there, there is some merrit to the tactic to have them spread out over multiple fansites, genre sites, etc. for the sake of word of mouth. At least pre-release.

Glad it's your opinion because it seems like you are Just guessing the reason why lol.

Anyway,don't be supprised if ArenaNet have a support forum for GW2,after all they have one for GW.

https://forum.guildwars.com/forum

• Raven322Raven322 Member UncommonPosts: 68

The sooner the average MMO Joe realises no, his opinions do not matter, no he is not entitled to dictate how a game is played and no, no-one really does care what he thinks on game balance, the quicker MMO Developers can get back to focus on making good games.

For all the screaming, actual player based change in games is minimal, and usually to a game's detriment when it is.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

I mean.. every serious company can, but not them? I guess they do not like peoples to come and said what they do not like?

What do you think?

your tone aside, i'm kind of sad they don't have a forum.

though, having said that, take a look at blizzard's forums. or swtor's. *shudder* who'd want to visit them? after a while, that's what official forums always turn into. a big old smash-the-dev and demand money back and screech at why my character's been nerfed and their is op and i wantz moar lootz now or i willz unsubscribez.

drivez me crazy.

zzzzz.

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Anyway,don't be supprised if ArenaNet have a support forum for GW2,after all they have one for GW.

And honestly, that's all they need.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

And honestly, that's all they need.

Eaxactly,so much for the OP assumption that ArenaNet can't afford a forum.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Superduper69

Everything is fair when it comes to GW2, not having an official forum is also great. if it was any other MMO people here would be ripping it apart for same reason.

Speaking against GW2 is sacrilege and you will burn righteous fire. What ArenaNet does should not be questioned by mere mortals.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by fivoroth
    What ArenaNet does should not be questioned by mere mortals.

oh... please ... give me a break

Speaking against GW2 is sacrilege and you will burn righteous fire. What ArenaNet does should not be questioned by mere mortals.

I stand to my above stated opinion, no matter which company we're talking about. I despise official game forums as a whole. You can, from my experience, look at any major game forum and find the most vile parts of the game's community. If you fail to manage losing all the fun in a game, visiting its forums will do the job nicely.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by DarkPony

Glad it's your opinion because it seems like you are Just guessing the reason why lol.

It just makes sense: better word of mouth, less costs. Win-win for them. Can't blame 'em. And just a support forum isn't the same thing tbh.

But personally I would really appreciate having realm forums as a tool to get your server together and well organized for WvWvW. In general realm forums work wonders to help shape communities and find likeminded people and new friends. SWToR didn't have realm forums and that really sucked in my opinion; community felt like anonymous grains of sand.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

I repent..i repent.

This discussion has been closed.