Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have they started Coding yet?

burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420

Just wondering if there is any info on where they are currently with the game. If they are using the Hero engine, have the started re-coding it for this world? Also, if they are further along then that, perhaps close to Alpha stage?

 

I would love to see the same attention to detail go into this as with any big AAA MMO (WoW, SWTOR, GW2) and for them not to rush it . I know that Paizo is a big company when it comes to the PNP gaming, but is Goblinworks what we would be considering an "Indie" comapy and I pray this doesnt turn into another MO or DFO.

 

 

Heres Hoping!

Comments

  • BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770
    Goblinworks hasn't even decided on using the Hero engine yet, I think there in the process of gathering up there team and generating investment money.

    A few things to note:
    1. Pathfinder Online will not look like swtor by anymeans even if they choose the Hero Engine.
    2. Pathfinder Online has absolutely no desire to market there game for a big AAA launch.
    3. They will not work with a big publisher!
    4. Hero Egine allows them to use a middlware with out upfront costs, only after the game is released is when Hero Engine makes money.
    5. Pathfinder Online is targeting one server with 12k players, there will be no sharding or server instancing.
    6. Yes Goblinworks is Indie developers and they have no need market there game as a AAA title, that's just a generic term for games backed by millions, money does not make a good game the developers do and can with far less then 50 mill.
    7. This could all change at any time lol.

    "It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

  • herniterherniter Member Posts: 14

    After seeing what a wreck the Hero Engine is in SWTOR I will not even both playing this if they decide to go that route.  The engine isn't even capable of even supporting 20 players in a single area without god aweful lag even with top of the line hardware.  Hell you can't even chain open your inventory without huge amounts of lag with that engine.  Just check in SWTOR if you don't believe me.  Hype 1/10 with hero engine.  10/10 without it.

  • revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

    Originally posted by herniter

    After seeing what a wreck the Hero Engine is in SWTOR I will not even both playing this if they decide to go that route.  The engine isn't even capable of even supporting 20 players in a single area without god aweful lag even with top of the line hardware.  Hell you can't even chain open your inventory without huge amounts of lag with that engine.  Just check in SWTOR if you don't believe me.  Hype 1/10 with hero engine.  10/10 without it.

    Quote by the CEO: http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz4shh&page=2?Game-engine#63

  • VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

    The version SWTOR uses isn't much like the one you can get now. Below i will outline why, as stated by the head of whoever made HeroEngine:

    - It was purchased by a suit at EA before it went onsale;
    -It was bought unfinished;
    -Uncommented
    -Undocumented
    -Unoptimised
    -no security features
    -bug ridden
    -untested for the majority

    Bioware/EA actually built the engine almost from scratch as the modified it so much. Hence why it sucks ass. The one you can buy/use now is very very different, i'm using it at the moment, it's very impressive.

    image

  • NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

    Originally posted by BlackUhuru

    Goblinworks hasn't even decided on using the Hero engine yet, I think there in the process of gathering up there team and generating investment money.



    A few things to note:

    1. Pathfinder Online will not look like swtor by anymeans even if they choose the Hero Engine.

    2. Pathfinder Online has absolutely no desire to market there game for a big AAA launch.

    3. They will not work with a big publisher!

    4. Hero Egine allows them to use a middlware with out upfront costs, only after the game is released is when Hero Engine makes money.

    5. Pathfinder Online is targeting one server with 12k players, there will be no sharding or server instancing.

    6. Yes Goblinworks is Indie developers and they have no need market there game as a AAA title, that's just a generic term for games backed by millions, money does not make a good game the developers do and can with far less then 50 mill.

    7. This could all change at any time lol.


    There

       [thair; unstressed ther]









    adverb

    1.

    in or at that place ( opposed to here): She is there now.



    2.

    at that point in an action, speech, etc.: He stopped there forapplause.



    3.

    in that matter, particular, or respect: His anger was justifiedthere.



    4.

    into or to that place; thither: We went there last year.



    5.

    (used by way of calling attention to something or someone):There they go.




    pronoun

    7.

    (used to introduce a sentence or clause in which theverb comes before its subject or has no complement): Thereis no hope.



    8.

    that place: He comes from there, too.



    9.

    that point.












    image

  • xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

    @Flex1 He was able to count to seven. Let's give credit where credit is due.

     

     

  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

    Wondering if the choice of engine has a serious impact on how they choose to develop the combat system?

    Also sounds like the game will be instanced hexes strung together, or is that a misreading?

    Are there any indications of the art style also they might use also?

     

  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by burdock2

    Just wondering if there is any info on where they are currently with the game. If they are using the Hero engine, have the started re-coding it for this world? Also, if they are further along then that, perhaps close to Alpha stage?
     
    I would love to see the same attention to detail go into this as with any big AAA MMO (WoW, SWTOR, GW2) and for them not to rush it . I know that Paizo is a big company when it comes to the PNP gaming, but is Goblinworks what we would be considering an "Indie" comapy and I pray this doesnt turn into another MO or DFO.
     
     
    Heres Hoping!

     

    Attention to detail - SWTOR?
  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 493

    Originally posted by Vegetto

    The version SWTOR uses isn't much like the one you can get now. Below i will outline why, as stated by the head of whoever made HeroEngine:

    - It was purchased by a suit at EA before it went onsale;

    -It was bought unfinished;

    -Uncommented

    -Undocumented

    -Unoptimised

    -no security features

    -bug ridden

    -untested for the majority

    Bioware/EA actually built the engine almost from scratch as the modified it so much. Hence why it sucks ass. The one you can buy/use now is very very different, i'm using it at the moment, it's very impressive.

     

    I really hope this is the case. Because there is no excuse for SWTOR to run poorly even with i5 2500k - 8 gb RAM - GTX 570 whenever there are 20+ players on sight; the graphics isn't even beautiful by any stretch of imagination.

    One would think that Bioware programmers are actually skilled; but then again, it could as well be called Star Bugs for the crazy amount of bugs in the game.

    Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

    Originally posted by herniter

    After seeing what a wreck the Hero Engine is in SWTOR I will not even both playing this if they decide to go that route.  The engine isn't even capable of even supporting 20 players in a single area without god aweful lag even with top of the line hardware.  Hell you can't even chain open your inventory without huge amounts of lag with that engine.  Just check in SWTOR if you don't believe me.  Hype 1/10 with hero engine.  10/10 without it.

    I would suggest trying some research before spouting such rubbish,hey may be do something crazy like the sensible peeps on board and check out there website and hundreds of happy devs useing Hero

    Basically you are tarring one game with the same brush would a badly coded unreal game then make unreal engine a bad engine,nope as the guys in this thread pointed out Bioware cocked up big time and the mess that is SWTOR as no relation to the Hero engine,which is still in development  and working in unison with devs such as Above and Beyond technologies who are codeing the most exciteing sandbox to appear in years The Repopulation who incidently have addressed many concerns on their forum.

    p>
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

    Answered my own Q:

    http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz4sl2&page=1?What-will-combat-be-like

     


    Network latency is the big factor in making decisions about how a combat system works in an MMO. As the battlespace gets bigger, the need to keep all the clients in synch with the server creates an N^2 problem - the amount of data that exchanged is the exponent of the number of players.

     


     


    You can't do "turn by turn" in an MMO. Imagine what happens when 50 people are in a combat. How long do you give each player to act? 10 seconds? So that's 500 seconds you're allocating PER TURN - who is going to sit around and wait for 8 minutes for a round to resolve? (This is an example of how you have to think past the tabletop to make on-line play work. You have to design for much, much larger groups than a tabletop.) Anyone who has played on-line poker can attest to how frustrating it is to sit and wait while player after player "times out" because they got distracted and forgot to pay attention to the game to know when it was their turn to act...


     


    There are all sorts of combat potentials in a sandbox MMO and each needs to be considered when building the system.


     


    People will fight monsters as a group 


    People will fight monsters as multiple groups (i.e. PvEvPvE) 


    People will fight Many vs. One 


    People will fight in asymmetric group sizes 


    People will fight One vs. One 


    People will fight in Large Groups (i.e. armies) 


    People will fight other people who are trying to just run away without engaging 


    People will fight from ambush or stealth and will try to make a quick kill rather than engage in a toe-to-toe brawl 


    Some people will be making ranged, not melee attacks


     


    etc. etc. etc.


     


    So when you ask "what will the combat system be like", in a sandbox game, I have to fall back on saying that until we're further along in development we won't have any firm answers.


     

  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 493

    Yeah, it looks like they didn't start coding yet. 

     

    Which is unfortunate, because it means that the game is still quite a long time far away.

    Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

    Originally posted by herniter

    After seeing what a wreck the Hero Engine is in SWTOR I will not even both playing this if they decide to go that route.  The engine isn't even capable of even supporting 20 players in a single area without god aweful lag even with top of the line hardware.  Hell you can't even chain open your inventory without huge amounts of lag with that engine.  Just check in SWTOR if you don't believe me.  Hype 1/10 with hero engine.  10/10 without it.

    I have no idea what bioware did to the Hero Engine but whatever they did they broke it...

     

    The Hero Engine is very capable and I have been in beta tests for games using the hero engine with hundreds of people spawning in the same location without much lag at all.. Also having worked with the Engine myself I know what its capable of.

     

    Dont dismiss a game because of Bioware fucking up the Hero Engine.

     

    As for Pathfinder well its only recently been announced, so they are probally still very early on with little or no coding done.. but their 3d artists will be hard at work.

Sign In or Register to comment.