Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware is cutting out content and selling for extra - proof

Comments

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by Aruvia

Originally posted by spaceport

Originally posted by Quesa

ok so I don't own and havn't played the game. my questions is.. Can the game be played completely through without the DLC?

If the DLC had been created a few months or a year later would it have then been ok?

If yes, Then is the complaint that they devoted recourses to developing additional content at the same time as developing the game and this cost should be eaten by them and given to you for free? Just because it was developed at the same time you feel entitled to it?

Entitled.... seriously?

It's ok, you have low standards, but it's not just that, you call ENTITLED to people who actually stand up and refuse to buy a game because of shaddy bussines.

The game can be played seamlessly without the DLC.

Whats your point?

I mean, Skyrim could start with only 2 skill trees, One handed and Two handed... and Bethesda could sell each other skill tree for 10$. You can still play the game seamlessly without it LOL

Let me guess.... you work in the video game industry?

OK so your saying the DLC in this case adds or changes core functionality, so its something beyond what would be considered excetable addon content at a later time?

Core functionality? nah they are just extra skill trees, you can perfectly play the game without them.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Whats your point?

I mean, Skyrim could start with only 2 skill trees, One handed and Two handed... and Bethesda could sell each other skill tree for 10$. You can still play the game seamlessly without it LOL

A game with 2 skill trees wouldn't have been sold much. It's not like they stripped off most content to release a barebones version...

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

ok so I don't own and havn't played the game. my questions is.. Can the game be played completely through without the DLC?

If the DLC had been created a few months or a year later would it have then been ok?

If yes, Then is the complaint that they devoted recourses to developing additional content at the same time as developing the game and this cost should be eaten by them and given to you for free? Just because it was developed at the same time you feel entitled to it?

Entitled.... seriously?

It's ok, you have low standards, but it's not just that, you call ENTITLED to people who actually stand up and refuse to buy a game because of shaddy bussines.

Whats your point?

Again, you're using platitudes to prove a point.

I'm assuming you don't believe the developers when they say the game was nearly complete before the extra content was created by a different team - if that's the case then there is no argument that will even compel you to look at this from any other point of view because you've already made up your mind that Bioware is made up of greedy, no good bastards that will go to any lengths to squeeze more money out of your wallet.  Disappointing as it may be, it's what alot of people do, make their own assumptions in light of other evidence.

I don't work in the video game industry but thank you for at least informing me that you'd rather insult or troll someone before admitting that you may have a skewed view on a topic.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

Originally posted by pb1285n

Is anyone noticed that the price of video games have never increased?

In fact with inflation I pay less now for video games then my parents did 20 years.

On the other end of the spectrum the cost of developing a game has gone from thousands of dollars to millions.

To top it off we buy games used, rent them, pirate them and wait for them to drop in price.

Maybe game companies should leave the DLCs in the game and raise the price of the game itself to match inflation and development costs?

I understand you guys are angry but try and see it from someone elses point of view.

You forgot the part where video games sell 15x times more than what they did 10 years ago.

And the price of video games did increase, thanks to consoles now we have to pay 60$ for release games instead of 50$.

So price should be directly dictated upon the quantity sold?  Interesting.

• AruviaAruvia Member UncommonPosts: 86

OK so your saying the DLC in this case adds or changes core functionality, so its something beyond what would be considered excetable addon content at a later time?

Core functionality? nah they are just extra skill trees, you can perfectly play the game without them.

Lol so  The game is complete without the DLC.  If the DLC did not exist and then came out way later it would have been fine. but because it was developed at the same time you should have it.  got it.. thanks for helping me to understand.

Entitled.... seriously?

Whats your point?

Again, you're using platitudes to prove a point.

I'm assuming you don't believe the developers when they say the game was nearly complete before the extra content was created by a different team - if that's the case then there is no argument that will even compel you to look at this from any other point of view because you've already made up your mind that Bioware is made up of greedy, no good bastards that will go to any lengths to squeeze more money out of your wallet.  Disappointing as it may be, it's what alot of people do, make their own assumptions in light of other evidence.

I don't work in the video game industry but thank you for at least informing me that you'd rather insult or troll someone before admitting that you may have a skewed view on a topic.

Bioware has been caught with their hand on the cookie jar a number of times.

"Bioware is made up of greedy, no good bastards that will go to any lengths to squeeze more money out of your wallet"

Lol this is exactly what they are, thanks, couldn't have said it better myself.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

In fact with inflation I pay less now for video games then my parents did 20 years.

On the other end of the spectrum the cost of developing a game has gone from thousands of dollars to millions.

To top it off we buy games used, rent them, pirate them and wait for them to drop in price.

Maybe game companies should leave the DLCs in the game and raise the price of the game itself to match inflation and development costs?

I understand you guys are angry but try and see it from someone elses point of view.

You forgot the part where video games sell 15x times more than what they did 10 years ago.

And the price of video games did increase, thanks to consoles now we have to pay 60$ for release games instead of 50$.

Did you even readed the guy i quoted?

Video game developers are making much more money than what they did 10 years ago, it's a terrible argument.

otacu

Video game developers are making much more money than what they did 10 years ago, it's a terrible argument.

I agree, it's a terrible argument to bring in the amount of money game developers are making, thank you for partially finding the logic in the debate.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

As much as I hate EA, this isnt limited to EA/Bioware, this has become the new norm..... unfortunatly. When DLC first started poping up it was great. It gave old games new life. But I knew that it was only a matter of time until developers started holding back content. Or not trying as hard to pack the game with content at release. I wasnt wrong games have taken a nose dive in content since DLC came about. I can remember the days where 1 game had 60-70 hours of playtime at release. Now your lucky to get 15 or 20 hours.

Anyways I have joined the boycott with any/every game that has EA on it. I just hope one day the movement gets large enough where they take a step back and think about the gamers for once. I highly doubt that day will ever come since the majority of gamers are teens/people who dont care that they are getting bent over a barrel, or dont realize that they are getting cheated. 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

I agree, it's a terrible argument to bring in the amount of money game developers are making, thank you for partially finding the logic in the debate.

Again... read the guy i quoted.

You can't justify day 1 dlc scams with BS like "lol inflation" when they are making MUCH more money than what they did before.

What's left?

Greed, yup.

otacu

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by toddze

As much as I hate EA, this isnt limited to EA/Bioware, this has become the new norm..... unfortunatly. When DLC first started poping up it was great. It gave old games new life. But I knew that it was only a matter of time until developers started holding back content. Or not trying as hard to pack the game with content at release. I wasnt wrong games have taken a nose dive in content since DLC came about. I can remember the days where 1 game had 60-70 hours of playtime at release. Now your lucky to get 15 or 20 hours.

Anyways I have joined the boycott with any/every game that has EA on it. I just hope one day the movement gets large enough where they take a step back and think about the gamers for once. I highly doubt that day will ever come since the majority of gamers are teens/people who dont care that they are getting bent over a barrel, or dont realize that they are getting cheated. 

So you won't be buying anything developed by Valve then, since all of their games are published by EA?

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Yeah, I'd go more on the download size than some random youtube video. Which is not to say I agree with what EA/Bioware (and plenty of others) have done (at least the ME2 day 1 DLC was free with ALL new copies), and is one of the reasons I will not be playing ME3 (short of a cheap used copy that I will subsequently trade-in).

Now I could take the high ground here and say, "if you don't like it don't buy it", but the sad fact is there are still plenty of others that will buy it, so the only way to get EA/Bioware to pay attention is through videos / campaigns like this, and maybe if there are enough descenting voices something will change. I'm not holding my breath though, as I don't think anything is likely to change any time soon (money talks to loudly).

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

The point here is that bioware is selling that DLC 2 times, you first pay it with the disc, if its in the disc u should be able to use it since you have bought the disc, but NO you buy the disc, with the game and the dlc and then you have to pay again in order to use the dlc.

Its just greed, they know a protean will sell and they want to sell it, if that new character was a human or other asari (for example) no one would buy it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by Omali

Originally posted by toddze

So you won't be buying anything developed by Valve then, since all of their games are published by EA?

correct, not a single game that EA has a part in.

The game that I am most looking foward to with a feirce passion is Archage, it doesnt have a NA publisher yet, if EA got its hands on it, i would write it off my list soon as I heard the news. I refuse to give my support in the form of cash to them. They are nothing but money sucking vampires. They dont care about the consumers anymore.

Video games is one of the very few products produced that the producers can just abuse their consumers and get away with it. The term "virtual crack" when associated with video games is so true. Most gamers are just so enthraled in them that they dont care. Its literallly like crack, crack addicts dont care how much it costs, they dont care that they could be buying filler products with it. They just have to have it.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by Banisco

The point here is that bioware is selling that DLC 2 times, you first pay it with the disc, if its in the disc u should be able to use it since you have bought the disc, but NO you buy the disc, with the game and the dlc and then you have to pay again in order to use the dlc.

Its just greed, they know a protean will sell and they want to sell it, if that new character was a human or other asari (for example) no one would buy it.

couldn't be more wrong. Buying the disc means nothing, you only buy a licence to access the software they want you to use. They could ME4, 5, 6 & 7 on there if they wanted to but only sell the licence to play ME3.

• AruviaAruvia Member UncommonPosts: 86

Originally posted by Ouriel

Lol so  The game is complete without the DLC.  If the DLC did not exist and then came out way later it would have been fine. but because it was developed at the same time you should have it.  got it.. thanks for helping me to understand.

You don't get it don't you? The problem here is that it is a day one DLC, DAY ONE DLC, not an DLC after two or three weeks or even months. The other problem is that it contains a CORE character within that DLC, that CORE character is the PROTHEAN. I'm sorry, but this isn't right.

I'll use the example of what spaceport said, you buy Skyrim on day one and you only have two trees to pick from and the other (core) trees are within one/two/three DLC packs, thus, making the game INCOMPLETE!

Got it now?

I see no reason why this should be defended when it's pure money steal. I am as well joining the boycot, becuase if they keep making day one DLC this will be become the norm and it will ruin the games even more.

you are right I really don't get it, but thats ok, like I said I have not played the game and do not plan too. I see its  "DAY ONE DLC"  which is exactly my point if it was later it would have been ok.  but becaus it was developed at the same time and releasd on day one you should have it. becaus when it was developed and released makes a difference as to how complete the game is without it. 

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

People, this is €A we're talking about...

We all know how greedy the CEO of €A is, and how he thinks about games (he only sees protif and $ marks, nothing else interests him. That's why €A is so hated among players).

I hoped €A won't put their fingers in BWs SWTOR but I was dissapointed once again. I'll never ever buy another game from €A untill the head office gets new and better people.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Ouriel

You don't get it don't you? The problem here is that it is a day one DLC, DAY ONE DLC, not an DLC after two or three weeks or even months. The other problem is that it contains a CORE character within that DLC, that CORE character is the PROTHEAN. I'm sorry, but this isn't right.

I'll use the example of what spaceport said, you buy Skyrim on day one and you only have two trees to pick from and the other (core) trees are within one/two/three DLC packs, thus, making the game INCOMPLETE!

Got it now?

I see no reason why this should be defended when it's pure money steal. I am as well joining the boycot, becuase if they keep making day one DLC this will be become the norm and it will ruin the games even more.

Not, it's completle NOT the same. Your skyrim example is bad.

You are trying to equate the art assets with story quest lines.

If this dlc is required to complete the main plot then that's like cutting out a chapter and charging for it. If this DLC is just another part of the story of this universe then it is indeed not part of the plot and therefore separate.

Is it tacky and money grubbing to charge for it? Sure, I would say so. Quite frankly any company that has created dlc that could be released on day 1 should just keep their mouths shut and sit on it if their sole intention is to charage for it. This way they don't get bad rep and no one is the wiser.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93

I'm gonna lay down my 2 cents from an economic point of view. The problem of inflation is interesting, I have noticed the price of games go up about 10 bucks. But there is also the fact that the money itself isn't as valuable as it once was. That also should be taken into account. Thank the printing presses at the federal reserve for that!

Now I'm a big fan of free markets and capitalism, what we have today and the way these companies get away with somewhat shady business practices is thanks to corporatism. They lobby to get special benefits from the government in order to keep competition from the small guy at a minimum. In a truly free market success would only be determined by meeting the demands of the consumer. The weakness of that though is that if the consumer is satisfied with day 1 dlc type deals then thats what we get.

I think we have a combination of both to a degree. We have many that are looking for instant gratification type games and those looking for a more deep and involved expierience. Trying to meet the demands of both groups has EA and the like nickel and diming the latter with day 1 dlcs and other "pay extra addons". If there weren't those pesky IP laws that lobbyists fought long and hard to have put in place, we might see competition from other sources. Of course the original creator of the Property in question would recieve royalties no matter who makes the games. But it would not be illegal for other companies to use make mass effect games to compete.

Whether you agree or disagree with the above, I think in the end if that's the way it was we the consumer would benefit. Much the same way in a mere 10 years you can get a cell phone thats a computer for a damn cheap price. Competition only serves us, companies only operate to get your money. We should all keep that in mind when we spend it!

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    It's a side quest. Big deal.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• antonatsisantonatsis Member Posts: 109

some of my ideas on this topic

1st)The DLC on the 1st day thing:I dont like it...BUT i could live for it if it wasnt for the idea behind that character...they could have just put something else besides the single most important thing in ME history(lorewise)hell they could have added an rachni and i wouldnt care(Of course this is a personall opinion since i really like the franchise and its lore.)

2nd)On the price:well its 60 bucks or 60e ... i can understand that....especially since when a game goes well the shares of a company goes up and all those merchendasi they sell...They can raise the price if they like...but let see if they can actually sell them afterwards...

3rd)The quality....here is the problem from what i have played(havent finished it yet)and from i have seen on the net(i dont care for spoilers...i like the journey and iam curious as how to reach on the destination,so i read spoilers from time to time)it seems the quality of the game went down on this game.

4th)The multiplayer...well this part  is atrocious...in order for people to see the good ending(aka the most awesome :P )they have to play Multiplayer to gather all those points that you need...and it wouldnt be a bad thing if there werent any selable weapons and armors for real money that can over power other plaer...

All those things are tollerable from my point of view....it makes me feel that i start to hate a company that i really liked...and probably it wont matter to me again for any future game that they will make(not to buy them at least)because their entire atitude to comfront the players...was a big massive lie.Those guys prior to DA2 were one of the proud few companies that everyone or almost everyone loved...and beyond the ocasional like that everybody say  they were true to their word...but with this game everything went to hell

Now the ending(dont worry i wont spoil it)it sucks,no what you see but the consept idea of it...also it seems they really liked how the author of Harry Poter aproached the idea of many cool characters in the 3rd game and dealt with them in the same way she did...

Finally the blatant ripof for 2 things in the game showed me what is the Bioware of today really is all about...

Talis face....some random beutiful girl from google search with 4  extra lines painted in her face...I MEAN FOR FUCKS SAKE....WE ARE TALKING ABOUT  TALI AND THEY COULDNT MAKE HER A CUSTOM FACE....(to people that dont know the character...is a character that even BIOWARE in the past didnt know how to aproach on the matter of showing her face...since she wore a mask for a reason you learn in the game and since she was the most lovable female character in ME series...)

and finally if you go to google and type "space winter" the 1st thing you will see in the pictures is the background for the final scene of the game...which is from deviant art....

For me the frachise died with their actions...not because it was a bad franchise,not because the game is bad(i think ill like it as an overall)but because they stopped seeing it as an art or something that they love...and now for them is something just to cash in after the success of ME1 and ME2

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by dubyahite

Its a simple and unnecessay side quest and companion, that actually shipped ON THE GAME DISK, but was sold as an optional extra for a price that is quite a good fraction of the entire games selling price. Can you imagine what it would have cost if they had charged a ten spot for EVERY story arch?

Feel free to spend your money as you see fit. But to me this shows me that Bioware is now focusing on bringing me a lesser product for more money. Instead of what they used to do which was make quality games for reasonable prices.

I understand these companies make games to make money. But in my opinion, when a company intentionally sacrifices the quality of their own product by charging extra for meaningless fluff, for the sole purpose of leeching a bit more cash out of their customers wallets ON DAY ONE, they have gone beyond merely being a business and become a disingenuous, money grubbing pack of assholes.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

I use to buy 10+ games a year but last 2-3 years I only been buying 5 or less and the number will continue to shrink till I just say f it and quit.

If anything prices of games should go down and not up because let's face it 90% of games released anymore are not worth the $60 price tag. Now if games were around $40 I might be more willing to buy them but at $60 I just can't do it.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by dubyahite

Its a simple and unnecessay side quest and companion, that actually shipped ON THE GAME DISK, but was sold as an optional extra for a price that is quite a good fraction of the entire games selling price. Can you imagine what it would have cost if they had charged a ten spot for EVERY story arch?

Feel free to spend your money as you see fit. But to me this shows me that Bioware is now focusing on bringing me a lesser product for more money. Instead of what they used to do which was make quality games for reasonable prices.

I understand these companies make games to make money. But in my opinion, when a company intentionally sacrifices the quality of their own product by charging extra for meaningless fluff, for the sole purpose of leeching a bit more cash out of their customers wallets ON DAY ONE, they have gone beyond merely being a business and become a disingenuous, money grubbing pack of assholes.

So their mistake was to put it on a disk?

IMHO, if the base game is enough to enjoy by about the same amount of time of your typical RPG game, I'd say it's worth its retail price. DLC are just another revenue stream for game studios. I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as the base game price is fair.

About EA/BioWare's case. The additionnal content was probably ready when it was time to send their disk image to the factory. It's cost effective since it means this DLC won't hit on their bandwith. It also means customers won't have to wait for it to download when they decide to purchase it.

And now about BioWare being greedy, let the free market do its magic! I've enjoyed Dragon Age Origin a lot, but heard DA2 was too short so I didn't buy it. Now I haven't bought Mass Effect 3... The user scores seem rather poor so it sounds like I'll pass. (3.5 on metacritics, skyrim was 8.1)