Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to play DCU on PC or PS3?

Hello all Im a long time forum stalker first time poster and I come to you with a question. I want to play DCU since I enjoyed it in beta and now that its free I figured why not go back to it since. I have an MMO addiction and im done with WoW im not as excited as most for SWTOR so im going to put on my cape and run around with my underwear over my pants again in this game I once enjoyed. My question is what to get it for? I have a pretty highend computer and a PS3. I know that the game works best with a controller but I have that covered for both systems. Now Ive been told the game looks bad on the PS3 which I find kind of weird since the PS3 is a very good system and I recall reading somewhere that the game was designed for the console and the PC was an after thought and I would think the game would max out on settings as what the PS3 could handle. Also what system has the greater population? I think it was kind of silly for them not to allow PC and PS3 players on the same server but im far from being a techie so I dont know the complications. Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

I tried it on both and prefer the PC.  YMMV

• DonevDonev Member Posts: 143

I would say PC. I played PC in Beta and didn't have any trouble at all with lag or FPS issues. However, since it's gone F2P, I've attempted to play on PS3 and it's virtually unplayable due to lag and FPS issues. I'm only lvl 9 on PS3, where as in a week of Beta, I made it to 15.... and I think I racked up about the same amount of gameplay time. 

From what I've heard, the PC version still doesn't have lag.

• judgex83judgex83 Member Posts: 7

Thank you both for answering me. Can you confirm for me if the gfx are bad on the PS3 or comparable to a good desktop. Im curious because I have a 17 inch monitor and a 32 inch HDTV so its obvious which one I would rather play on. It sucks that the game lags on the PS3 version and I hope that it might just be a temporary thing for SOEs case it has to be or they will lose the PS3 market entirely which will probably spell the doom for this great game.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

I didn't realize PS3 players couldn't play on the same servers...that's a bummer. I was so close to cashing in on a PS3 and one of the reasons was to use my PC account to play on PS3...

I'll have to rethink this now

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

Dude play on ps3 that way you will have HD Graphics "disabled on pc version"

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by judgex83

Hello all Im a long time forum stalker first time poster and I come to you with a question. I want to play DCU since I enjoyed it in beta and now that its free I figured why not go back to it since. I have an MMO addiction and im done with WoW im not as excited as most for SWTOR so im going to put on my cape and run around with my underwear over my pants again in this game I once enjoyed. My question is what to get it for? I have a pretty highend computer and a PS3. I know that the game works best with a controller but I have that covered for both systems. Now Ive been told the game looks bad on the PS3 which I find kind of weird since the PS3 is a very good system and I recall reading somewhere that the game was designed for the console and the PC was an after thought and I would think the game would max out on settings as what the PS3 could handle. Also what system has the greater population? I think it was kind of silly for them not to allow PC and PS3 players on the same server but im far from being a techie so I dont know the complications. Thanks in advanced.

I played mine on the PS3 and it was really smooth and responsive. Since the title was actually designed for the PS3 I'd go with that for sure for it playing feeling more natural.

Graphics wise most absolutly the PS3 is a dream, I don't know how PC looked but yea graphics top notch as always on Playstation..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by Varthander

typing sucks on ps3 though.

Even with the keyboard that connects to the ps3 controller?

Ive got it on PS3 although truthfully I haven't played it since launch. I downloaded it again the other day so maybe ill post again with my impressions.

• LohdownLohdown Member UncommonPosts: 78

I was a firm believer that all mmos are meant to be played on a pc; that is, until I played this game on my PS3.  I have not played the PC version, but I believe I would not enjoy the game as much on PC.  It is well suited for a console.  It's action oriented combat and the UI design fit perfectly with a controller.  Get a wireless USB keyboard and headset for your PS3 and you won't regret playing it on the PS3.  I can't imagine ever playing this game with a mouse.

The moment I read "It's like" or "WoW" is the moment I stop reading your post.

• counterherocounterhero Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Lohdown

I was a firm believer that all mmos are meant to be played on a pc; that is, until I played this game on my PS3.  I have not played the PC version, but I believe I would not enjoy the game as much on PC.  It is well suited for a console.  It's action oriented combat and the UI design fit perfectly with a controller.  Get a wireless USB keyboard and headset for your PS3 and you won't regret playing it on the PS3.  I can't imagine ever playing this game with a mouse.

So your telling him to go out and spend 50 dollars on a keyboard and a headset for his ps3 for a free game?

• BrodterBrodter Member Posts: 73
    I prefer the ps3 version. Aside from the keyboard issue its quite fun.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by Varthander

pretty sure you can still put it in a HD resolution on the PC... so its still HD. Thats why the option is disabled on PC; because you can't choose the resolution on the PS3.

PC version is best IMO, especially with a controller (and the keyboard nearby)

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • LohdownLohdown Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by counterhero

So your telling him to go out and spend 50 dollars on a keyboard and a headset for his ps3 for a free game?

I don't understand your question.  Should I have also told him to buy a PS3, a TV, an HDMI cable, a house with a receptacle to plug it all into, and the electricity to run it for a free game?  I guess if he would rather play the free game on a PC he could go buy a laptop or desktop, a headset, a controller, a house with a receptacle to plug it all into, and the electricity to run it, instead.

I was simply trying to make the point that the game is well suited to the PS3 and having a keyboard and headset enhances the experience.  I have no idea if you can use a controller on the PC version.  If you can, then I am guessing the PC and PS3 gameplay experience are quite similiar and a person's choice of platform would make little difference.  The OP asked a question and I was just giving an answer based on my experience.

The moment I read "It's like" or "WoW" is the moment I stop reading your post.

• PGHammer21PGHammer21 Member CommonPosts: 18

Unlike a lot of MMOs, DCUO can even be played on a *graphically challenged* PC.  That is because it's based on the tested-and-true Unreal 3 Engine - the same one used by Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War 2.  Basically the only time I change my screen resolution settings on my PC is due to higher-than-normal lag.

PC Hardware is as follows:

Motherboard - ASUS P5G41M-LX2/GB

CPU - Intel Core2Quad Q6600

RAM 2GBx1 and 1GBx1 DDR2-800 (Corsair and Avant, respectively)

GPU - Visiontek HD5450 512MB GDDR3

Graphics settings (typical) 1680x1050 all medium, (high-lag)1280x720 all high where permitted

The U3Engine is such that once you go above two CPU cores, you really don't gain much (the quad-core, in fact, replaced a Celeron DC E3400).  I plan on moving to an i5-2500K; however, this game has nothing to do with the move to beefier hardware.

I have two characters (both heroes and mentored by Superman) one flier (level 21, currently in Gotham dealing with Poison Ivy - and yes, I stocked up on calamine lotion) and a level 30 speedster based on the Flash (he's also a flamethrower - just finished the Bludhaven alert with him).  When things get sorted, I'll be going back to try and rescue Aquaman from more of Circe's trickery (I'm really beginning to loathe her - she definitely gives a Bad Name to witches all over the galaxy - never mind merely the planet) wiith the L30 flamethrower, and try to finish my remaining pre-L30 missions.  I'm expecting it to be a rather hard slog, though; my combat rating is a mere 25.

• noxxlenoxxle Member Posts: 119

So which version has a larger playerbase?

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by counterhero

I don't understand your question.  Should I have also told him to buy a PS3, a TV, an HDMI cable, a house with a receptacle to plug it all into, and the electricity to run it for a free game?  I guess if he would rather play the free game on a PC he could go buy a laptop or desktop, a headset, a controller, a house with a receptacle to plug it all into, and the electricity to run it, instead.

I was simply trying to make the point that the game is well suited to the PS3 and having a keyboard and headset enhances the experience.  I have no idea if you can use a controller on the PC version.  If you can, then I am guessing the PC and PS3 gameplay experience are quite similiar and a person's choice of platform would make little difference.  The OP asked a question and I was just giving an answer based on my experience.

I use an Xbox controller on the PC version and it seems to work fine. The PC audience is probably larger.
  • PGHammer21PGHammer21 Member CommonPosts: 18

In fact, you *can* play in HD on the PC - I play at 1280x720 NI on my Windows 8-driven (Release Preview x64) PC; and that is despite the AMD HD5450 (Mobility part in desktop clothes) GPU.  Because I upgraded the *CPU* recently (from E3400 to Q6600), I dropped *down* to that resolution (from 1920x1080NI - my desktop resolution) because the full-tilt Intel Q6600 Kentsfield is more power-hungry than the E3400 cut-down Wolfdale it replaced, and I have replaced nothing else.  DCUO is far from graphically-demanding on a PC; it uses the tried-and-true Unreal Engine 3 - the same game engine as quite a few other games of that year.  (For that reason, DCUO is less graphically demanding than World of Warcraft, for example.)  On the PC, 1920x1080 is the practical limit - which is, in fact, *taller* than the limit on the PS3 (which is 1280x720, the resolution my PC plays at today); however, that is because it's the game engine's limit - not a hardware limit.