Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum-based RPs

I won't lie, I was itching to start one for quite a while now, but can't seem to find a good place to do so. However, I'm also quite curious about this board's opinion on them. They can be considered MMOs in a way, the same way MUDs are sometimes classified under them, can't they?

Wow. The shortest opening post to any thread, I have ever started. Oh wait, there was that spelling one...

I hate WoW because it made my plush hamster kill himself, created twin clones of Hitler, punched Superboy Prime in reality, stared my dog down, spoiled my grandmother, assimilated me into the Borg, then made me into a real boy, just to make me a woman again.

Comments

• ElenosElenos Member UncommonPosts: 73

Well I'm also curious about that...

• penguin33penguin33 Member Posts: 7

There are lots of really good sites out there for forum roleplaying and it is lots of fun. You just gotta look hard and a good site will pop up. Also google can make the search a little faster.

• kalligirlkalligirl Member Posts: 8

I've played a few forum rolplaying games. They are a bit slower and I dont like to wait for replies and stuff.

• ThinOxygenThinOxygen Member Posts: 2

You have to figure out what sort of game you are going to run and play. The majority of games are freeform with rules based around 'permission' by other players for certain types of interaction. Not my style, but hey, each to their own.

Forum based games are for writers mainly, and it can take a while to build and maintain an average player base. As a person who has run a forum based RPG for a long time I can suggest that you don't use a free service. Get your own domain and servers. You don't need a lot of bandwidth.

Forum games are hard to run as interaction can be slow and players come and go at the drop of a hat. They take some elbow grease and dedication to keep moving.

They are still RPGs, not in a massive way, but true role playing games in the old school style. They are a part of the gaming community just like anything else.

• shaun87shaun87 Member Posts: 2

I haven't seen this kind of Forum-based RPs. Can anyone site some example of this RPs in Forum. i would like to see them and maybe ill play this kind of games if ever I would like them.

• MajesticoMajestico Member UncommonPosts: 481
    i was hoping to find a rpg being run in this forum. I mean, why not? Are there any already? If not, i may pick up the baton. It would be in the style of myself as story teller and referee. Anyone could enter the game, by simply 'appearing' with their character. They could simply introduce theirselves, in character, and give away as much detail as they want. Especially if their character has some intrigue that you want to keep for players to uncover. I would keep combat rules to a minimum, to begin with. Such as fighting fantasy rules. The more the game evolves so will the rules. I have a dice system, so it would even be interactive. So if anyone is currently running a game on this forum, please let me know. Otherwise, i shall start one. Any genre preferences? All you would need to take part is a pencil and piece of paper. I already have an old ad&d world which i have actually used to have short stories published, based within said world. I like to run a game whereby you have a sense of freedom. The campaign is dynamic, with events occurring that may or may not effect your characters. Also, the risk of having freedom, albeit restricted by rules and consequencies of your actions, is that you are not limited to where you go, or what you do. So beware, it's only slightly scaled to your pc's power. If it seems as though you are getting hints of the danger level, then you can live or die by your sword!
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    rpgtonight.com is a free virtual tabletop browser based PBP sight.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• Chaos_AmunetChaos_Amunet Member Posts: 9
    I started out playing tabletop, then moved on to roleplaying forums later on. I enjoyed myself immensely, especially since it gave me the opportunity to express myself in-depth and really develop my character. I always hated to wait for responses, though. The risk of ending up with an unfinished game is eventually what led me to quit. I haven't gone back to them since I started playing MUDs about ten years ago - I think the instant gratification spoiled me.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Only done forum rp a bit, not really a fan. Mostly did it on the official forums of a MMO pre-launch that I was going to play on.