Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GDC Planetside 2 Gameplay footage

BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

PART1: Introduction (reaver flying, day night cycle battles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KSXXEOJUcG0

PART2: Ingame game play closed alpha of 45 players (reaver day night battle, infantry night time fighting)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrA3LAAIOc4&feature=player_embedded

PART3: Tank Convoy Day time skirmish followed by on foot base invasion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rmWyIMXJEiI

PART4: Infantry Base invasion cont. , game system explaination , personal stats, resource shop, cash shop explaination etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ikSRA46-Ug8

Key things to mention:

CASH SHOP: there will be a cash shop, first and foremost they have said, perhaps their seventh time now, that they will not have cash shop to be pay to win in any form or manner,  Cash shops will fill the roll of cosmetics design and other features that DO NOT involve any element of pay to win (i.e. stronger bullets, roffle tank, extra speed, more health etc.)  So if anyone places concern that PS2 will be pay to win,  show them PART 4 video. and from their to release will see if SOE and the PS2 team stands by what they say

PHYSICS: vets who have played PS1, esspecially pilots, be prepared to learn how to do barrel rolls and somasaults.

ANIMATIONS: its mentioned that its in alpha, and will continue to be worked out through out beta and so on. many other features will be worked on in and out side of animations

QuickKnife: Yet to be seen, was not shown in any of the videos. will find out when beta arrives

TTK's and Kills:   Head shots are in,  TTK's are much faster now,  MagMower is in (sorry TR, NC)

Enjoy!

Edit:   

Bonus footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHbQDFsdXyk

GDC Interview - current game overview (for those who dont have time to watch all 4 game footage videos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yf27Xn0t-SM

Curse Interview with T-Ray -  Free to Play (no buy to play unless changed in later future)  digital download

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pDLKtLyYjYU

Gamespot interview with Higby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t3c-XQgc1QE

Some random guy -   Planetside2 is gonna be lvl 60 players curb stomping lvl 1 player

Higby -   Planetside2  will have 5 year players who are still suspect of being beaten by a 5 minute player if the 5 minute player gets the jump on the 5 year player.   must like planetside 1

Comments

• kokopuffkokopuff Member Posts: 94

GG SOE dont screw this up.

• TriadninjaTriadninja Member Posts: 111

There is only two words that can describe how I feel right now: I came.

I was so happy that Higby announced that it wasn't going to be Buy2Win, and it will be more along the lines of league of legends in terms of weapons, where like champions in league, weapons can be bought with real money or with resources, so hobo greg down the street can still be as badass as 13 year old johnny who stole his mom's credit card.

The anticipation for this game is killing me, I can't wait for beta.

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Nice looks like they didn't change many of the essential good things about the first game. After being dumbfounded a lot in the last few big online game releases, it's great to see developers with a shred common sense these days.

• richstallrichstall Member UncommonPosts: 15

Call of duty spawning / item system.. Game is doomed

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Well I just have to say. Since it looks like BF3 is catering more and more to the console/CoD crowd with more small CQB maps coming out, it's safe to say PS2 will be the shooter I'll be playing. I want grand scale WAR, not microscale e-peen contests.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by richstall

Looks good if your into FPS but I thought this was a MMO site?  I might try it still since it might be a persistent world environment but I still much prefer mideval style MMO sword and sorcery and 3rd person more.  Who knows maybe this might be ok so time will tell, still I dont trust SOE.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Looks good if your into FPS but I thought this was a MMO site?  I might try it still since it might be a persistent world environment but I still much prefer mideval style MMO sword and sorcery and 3rd person more.  Who knows maybe this might be ok so time will tell, still I dont trust SOE.

Get your facts straight.

PlanetSide 2 IS an MMO. In fact, it's more an MMO than many other games presented on this site, including for example SWTOR. In PlanetSide 2, there can be hundreds or even a thousand players playing in the same battle. That's a lot more than most other MMOs can handle at the same place.

The fact that it's first person and has FPS controls has nothing to do with the fact that it is, indeed, an MMO.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Again,     MMO  is not exclusive to  games that have mandatory skill bars, instances ,flying pink mounts and epic purples.

MMO is of massive multi  online,   large number of people in a giant world.

what planetside2 is not is a MMORPG,   but a MMOFPS.

there is no written rule that all MMO's must have elves, orcs and fireballs. 

these days anyway, companies have been getting away with all sorts of murder tacking on MMO, specifically MMOFPSes on their title, only to deliver some lobby system in a 12 v 12 arena.  so Planetside 2, much like the first PS game, isnt going anywhere on this site. 

Planetside  was an andvanced shooter. It was greatly involved. You spawned with basic, almost useless gear. You had to select your gear and manually fix it. When working with others you would pack your gear to work best with others.

^ This along with the tactics make it a MMORPG imo.

Planetside 2 as dumped all this out the window infavor of the more common scheme there is now adays. Spawn, die fast, spawn again.

This is shit. This is cod online not planetside.

Oh well.. At least mechwarrior online still gives me hope

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

So the ships/vehicles just spawn on location?

So, the thing that made Planetside absolutely superb, organizing entire continent raids at your main base, rallying tanks, troop carriers, infantry and air units together then entering a warp gate in mass to invade the enemy... Is now over? 

So i just spawn, attakc, spawn, attack, spawn, attack, level up, get skills, spawn, attack.... ? Sincerely hope this is not the case. I sincerely hope spawn vehicles/squad leaders etc are still required in order to respawn near the action. 

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

Originally posted by D_TOX

So, the thing that made Planetside absolutely superb, organizing entire continent raids at your main base, rallying tanks, troop carriers, infantry and air units together then entering a warp gate in mass to invade the enemy... Is now over? 

So i just spawn, attakc, spawn, attack, spawn, attack, level up, get skills, spawn, attack.... ? Sincerely hope this is not the case. I sincerely hope spawn vehicles/squad leaders etc are still required in order to respawn near the action. 

You should have finished watching the vids. He explained that he use a console command to spawn the fighter jet to save time in the presentation. In the final game you won't be able to spawn vehicles on the battlefield.

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

Originally posted by MadAce

Originally posted by D_TOX

You should have finished watching the vids. He explained that he use a console command to spawn the fighter jet to save time in the presentation. In the final game you won't be able to spawn vehicles on the battlefield.

Phew, my bad. Sorry, it was all just sounding too good to be true.... :D

We shall see! 

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Yeah theres like 4 videos on the presentation. Overall I think the game looks awesome. Only downside? SOE :(

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

This game looks like "Next Generation MMO" aka "WoW killer" lol image. A bit too FPS for my preferences, but one to watch for sure.

Planetside  was an andvanced shooter. It was greatly involved. You spawned with basic, almost useless gear. You had to select your gear and manually fix it. When working with others you would pack your gear to work best with others.

^ This along with the tactics make it a MMORPG imo.

Planetside 2 as dumped all this out the window infavor of the more common scheme there is now adays. Spawn, die fast, spawn again.

This is shit. This is cod online not planetside.

Oh well.. At least mechwarrior online still gives me hope

i dont recall COD having player driven vehicles in multiplayer. 

as for the game itself many people are not going to like it because of the game dubbing down inventory selection 

(no more 1 man army ultility BR 40 soldiers), additionally while this is still in alpha stage according to them, i expect more people will be butt hurt when more changes start rolling in, and when beta arrives, taken out, tweaked and further added.

biggest lamentation so far believe it or not is the finite number of gernades one can get a hold of,  with a number of weapons tied into resource collected, much like a RTS, soldiers and outfits will have to do abit of logistics and management on when you distribute said number of gernade,weapons and when to hold on to them.

edit:

the term "wow killer" should be grounds of execution via firing squad. this is apples and oranges beyond reasoning.

GDC interview for people who are too busy  to look at all 4 videos - current overview of game and direction

Curse Interview with T-Ray -  Free to Play (no buy to play unless changed in later future)  digital download

ill say this to get it out of the way i still dont believe them when they start throwing numbers out about people that can play ( 500 players, 1000 players, 2000 players etc etc.)

First planetside in total did indeed have 450+ players on a continent/planet, but it was divided into 3, having 100 and some change being allies while the rest were enemies.

when beta rolls around we'll definitely see how strong forgelight can be, and how much people may have to spend to upgrade their computers.

• TriadninjaTriadninja Member Posts: 111

Originally posted by Beanpuie

GDC interview for people who are too busy  to look at all 4 videos - current overview of game and direction

ill say this to get it out of the way i still dont believe them when they start throwing numbers out about people that can play ( 500 players, 1000 players, 2000 players etc etc.)

First planetside in total did indeed have 450+ players on a continent/planet, but it was divided into 3, having 100 and some change being allies while the rest were enemies.

when beta rolls around we'll definitely see how strong forgelight can be, and how much people may have to spend to upgrade their computers.

Honestly there are a TON of people who play alot of the modern FPS games such as Battlefield 3, MW3 and other high texture games on PC, so since those crowds will be drawn in, I think we will see the 2000 player battle, or at least 2k people on one continent at once. I'll be more interested in seeing what downtime looks like, AKA when your not on the frontline, if theres going to be generals or tacticians and that sort of stuff to sort of help directionalize where to attack and whatnot.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

This is the future game engine every new MMO will be measured by if people know what I mean.  SOE Developed Forge Light a next generation Game Engine that is being developed for their upcoming MMOs PS2 and EQNext and you can bet they will license it out to future companys for use.  The graphics look amazing and if they think they can pull off no lag in this engine in a FPS with hundreds of people in the same area it will be amazing for a true MMORPG.

For people who complain this game is being made for the casual player it is not being made for the hardcore PS player you want full servers and epic battles ?  Guess what 80% of them players in them epic battles are casual players.   SOE is marketing this for the masses not some niche market of FPS players they want the casual people who play.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

I've never played PS1, but after going to these links / watching the vids. PS2 looks like an MMO-FPS I'd definitely like to play, especially to see the massive 1000+ populated battles they keep talking about...  image

I have to add; even though PS2 is still in ALPHA stage - The foot soilder combat plays alot like the style of HALO, of course with way more massive content and with way more customization. Is that a good or bad thing? I'm not sure...

Are you able to go prone and snipe, crawl, post up against a wall or even do any type of melee attacks / finishing moves from behind:  Especially if you're able to sneak up and get behind the enemy... Probably won't matter, since it seems like its about "Order to Chaos."

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Very interesting videos. Lets hope that SOE doesn't mess things up.  With that many players running around, I'd imagine that anything but a multi video card system is going to take an FPS hit.  Lets hope they get it optimized to minimize that. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

The only concern i have atm about planet side 2 is that i hope there in an australian based server ebcause i know how much ping sucks in an fps. Or if they can design someway to compersate for the latency issue of ping.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

I was really impressed, wait the aerial combat wasn't on rails right ? ;)

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I would daresay this is the closest thing to MMOFPS than any other games out there. I wish it was out now, I wouldnt mind paying for it.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Looks very nice!

Originally posted by R.I.O.T

I've never played PS1, but after going to these links / watching the vids. PS2 looks like an MMO-FPS I'd definitely like to play, especially to see the massive 1000+ populated battles they keep talking about...  image

I have to add; even though PS2 is still in ALPHA stage - The foot soilder combat plays alot like the style of HALO, of course with way more massive content and with way more customization. Is that a good or bad thing? I'm not sure...

Its a bad thing. PS1 was tactics and strategery. This is battlefield 4