Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like the game has peaked on XFire

Comments

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by William12

WOW had 250k players the first 3 months according to MMOGdata.  This is why SWTOR is easily the most succesful new MMORPG ever.

Smaller market, different era for online gaming.

SWTOR's achievement is on a technicality.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

Originally posted by William12

WOW had 250k players the first 3 months according to MMOGdata.  This is why SWTOR is easily the most succesful new MMORPG ever.

Smaller market, different era for online gaming.

SWTOR's achievement is on a technicality.

Tell that to Rift.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Once GW2 is out, SWTOR is as good as dead.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Lol. Keep dreaming.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by busdriver

The list of games GW2 is going to kill is getting longer.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by Zorgo

Originally posted by Metentso

Originally posted by Zorgo

Originally posted by Metentso

Another all-time low yesterday with a 63% drop from the hightest point in 2-january. Also down to rank #7.

Not looking peachy but the rate of descent seems to be slowing down.

And as far as mmo's go on xfire, it remains 2nd only to WoW - where it has been from the beginning. No other mmo is even close to overtaking it.

In addition, spring break is now beginning all over the U.S. - I imagine population fluctuations will happen across all games.

Yes, but it's 40.000 hours below WOW and just 10.000 above Aion.

So you believe that because SWTOR hasn't dislodged the majority of highly entrenched, invested long-time players of the most popular game in mmo history within the first 3 months of release, something must be wrong with the game?

WoW started with less of a population than SWToR.  It took years of consistantly solid game development to create their existing player base - really, give SWToR some time; it is an infant and you are questioning why it doesn't have a doctorate from Harvard yet. And as far as infants go, this is the biggest, heaviest fattest baby the mmo gaming industry has produced - bigger than WoW when it was born. What is WoW's graph for the first 3 months of its release? Might be pertinent.

And dubya has a point. What if there are 3 WoW players playing WoW for 12 hours each, but SWToR has 50 players playing in 30 min increments? WoW's hours would be 36 hours, SWToR's would be 25 hours - so how again do the hours reflect what you want to prove?

No, i don't believe that.

SWTOR has all the time it needs, i just recollect data and speak about tendencies. I don't question anything.

I'm not counting hours but xFire players.

What do I want to prove, in your opinion?

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Originally posted by Superduper69

More like GW2 puts SWTOR out of its misery, this game is already dying.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Superduper69

More like GW2 puts SWTOR out of its misery, this game is already dying.

Yes it is dying at this rate it would be dead by year 2020.

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

X-fire is just about worthless..  Using it to judge anything is... funny to say the least.

Star Wars is doing fine, 60+ pages of discussion about how its dying is .. also funny to say the least.

GW2 won't kill anything but the GW1 population.

/Done

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by quentin405

X-fire is just about worthless..  Using it to judge anything is... funny to say the least.

I wonder if you can justify that using actual reasoning and statistical theory.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Yeah heres my statistical theory..  people are using data collected by 4,398 players on xfire to make "facts" about ToR.

So, how many millions, minus 4.3k = Insane amount of people that agree with me xfire is worthless :)

And please spare me your reply.. Everyone knows those 4.3k people only use Xfire so they can compete with their friends on who is more hardcore by keeping track of how many 1000s of hours they spend playing 1 game.

So my theory is, xfire is just about worthless... Using its TINY fraction of players to assume anything is... hilarious.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Yeah heres my statistical theory..  people are using data collected by 4,398 players on xfire to make "facts" about ToR.

So, how many millions, minus 4.3k = Insane amount of people that agree with me xfire is worthless :)

And please spare me your reply.. Everyone knows those 4.3k people only use Xfire so they can compete with their friends on who is more hardcore by keeping track of how many 1000s of hours they spend playing 1 game.

So my theory is, xfire is just about worthless... Using its TINY fraction of players to assume anything is... hilarious.

This has been said before but I will say it again. The size of the sample is not statistically relevant, how many do you think election polls have in their selection? I can tell you that it is in the thousands and not tens of thousands or greater.

It is the selection of it which matters and for XFire it is indeed random which makes it more error prone than a statistical poll. However since no one can say how representetive this random selection is of the general population the error could be anything from insignificant to very significant.

And this everyone knows statement of yours is complete BS. It has no basis in facts and is completely your speculation or rather predigous about XFire users.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

As has been mentioned, you obviously have no idea how statistical modeling works.

I suggest you look up how the Neilsen TV rating systems work. Do you think that they have wired X million households with TV monitoring boxes? No. It is on the order of a couple thousand. And yet, they use those couple thousand boxes to estimate the "share" and thus viewer ship a TV show gets.

Same thing with all the political polling going on these days: it is a sampling of X registered voters or those likely to vote.

Statistical modeling has proven itself over and over to be a useful tool and accurate within a margin of error.

And Xfire, like it or not, falls within the scale of a statistical modeling tool. Maybe not the best, escpecially in how the subjects are selected, but random enough in the general catagory of computer game / MMO players to be considered valid.

If statistical modeling didn't work, or wasn't useful, people/companies would not spend the huge amounts of money they do using it.

Just because you either don't like or don't understand how it works, does not make it invalid.

I guess that's a no then to the requested "actual reasoning" and "statistical theory"

Originally posted by Yamota

This has been said before but I will say it again. The size of the sample is not statistically relevant, how many do you think election polls have in their selection? I can tell you that it is in the thousands and not tens of thousands or greater.

It is the selection of it which matters and for XFire it is indeed random which makes it more error prone than a statistical poll. However since no one can say how representetive this random selection is of the general population the error could be anything from insignificant to very significant.

And this everyone knows statement of yours is complete BS. It has no basis in facts and is completely your speculation or rather predigous about XFire users.

Comparing politics and gaming trends also solidifies your statement as BS. Political polls are a 1time decision calculation.  Trying to judge a games activity based on a tiny fraction of that population is much different.  As I tried to say, Xfire users are hardcore nerds that want everyone to see how many hours they play what.. 

Then you have to decide whos vote is more important? The guy who plays 100 hours a week, or the guy who plays 5 hours a week?  If they are both active subscribers, and only the 5 hours a week guy uses xfire.....

Actually nevermind.  The fact that you think a political poll and a population health / activity sensus are even remotely in the same neighborhood mathematically says more then I care to try and correct.  My coffees done, sleepy eyes gone.  I'm going to go play ToR.  I know you will have fun on these forums trying to spread the truth about how ToR is dead, while all us ToR players are actually playing a game having fun.

/bow

Originally posted by Burntvet

As has been mentioned, you obviously have no idea how statistical modeling works.

I suggest you look up how the Neilsen TV rating systems work. Do you think that they have wired X million households with TV monitoring boxes? No. It is on the order of a couple thousand. And yet, they use those couple thousand boxes to estimate the "share" and thus viewer ship a TV show gets.

Same thing with all the political polling going on these days: it is a sampling of X registered voters or those likely to vote.

Statistical modeling has proven itself over and over to be a useful tool and accurate within a margin of error.

And Xfire, like it or not, falls within the scale of a statistical modeling tool. Maybe not the best, escpecially in how the subjects are selected, but random enough in the general catagory of computer game / MMO players to be considered valid.

If statistical modeling didn't work, or wasn't useful, people/companies would not spend the huge amounts of money they do using it.

Just because you either don't like or don't understand how it works, does not make it invalid.

I seriously LOL and peed a little.  Yea , I'll make sure to resign from my job later, citing the fact that I dont understand 7th grade math.

Originally posted by Yamota

Comparing politics and gaming trends also solidifies your statement as BS. Political polls are a 1time decision calculation.  Trying to judge a games activity based on a tiny fraction of that population is much different.  As I tried to say, Xfire users are hardcore nerds that want everyone to see how many hours they play what.. 

Then you have to decide whos vote is more important? The guy who plays 100 hours a week, or the guy who plays 5 hours a week?  If they are both active subscribers, and only the 5 hours a week guy uses xfire.....

Actually nevermind.  The fact that you think a political poll and a population health / activity sensus are even remotely in the same neighborhood mathematically says more then I care to try and correct.  My coffees done, sleepy eyes gone.  I'm going to go play ToR.  I know you will have fun on these forums trying to spread the truth about how ToR is dead, while all us ToR players are actually playing a game having fun.

/bow

Good for you, if you enjoy a game, screw everyone else's opinion, they don't matter. However x-fire whilst not perfect is far more than worthless in determining population levels

I seriously LOL and peed a little.  Yea , I'll make sure to resign from my job later, citing the fact that I dont understand 7th grade math.

Probably a good idea.

Reading is fundamental, you know...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Except the Nielsen group took pains to find an actual "sampling' of different housholds from different demographics. That's the key point there.

If I go into several large retirement communities, wire up a portion of the residents, can I safely say that I can now use that data to determine what the rest of the country is doing?

Now, if I wired up a few people in a rural town, upper/lower class, same with a city, I might get better results.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

Except the Nielsen group took pains to find an actual "sampling' of different housholds from different demographics. That's the key point there.

If I go into several large retirement communities, wire up a portion of the residents, can I safely say that I can now use that data to determine what the rest of the country is doing?

Now, if I wired up a few people in a rural town, upper/lower class, same with a city, I might get better results.

Yes, agreed that selection is important, but the argument, by quentin, was that the selection size is too small, which is simply put wrong. It is not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_(statistics)#Simple_random_sampling

"However, SRS can be vulnerable to sampling error because the randomness of the selection may result in a sample that doesn't reflect the makeup of the population. For instance, a simple random sample of ten people from a given country will on average produce five men and five women, but any given trial is likely to overrepresent one sex and underrepresent the other."

This is the main issue with XFire polling.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Yay 100 more pages of discussing the exact same subject the previous 100 discussed to death!

Originally posted by Sovrath

Yeah, I was on that when I mentioned that the X fire sample might not be as carefully selected as it could be, because it is a totally voluntary 3rd party program used by MMO players.

That said, even if it can not pull out a particular data point, i.e. TOR has X subs, it is very good at hitting the trend, because the same sample (well-selected or not) is tracked week in and week out.

So if Xfire is tracking a strong downward on TOR play hours, that is very likely to be accurate. However, that does not directly correlate to a proportionate loss of subs, because one can theoretically be subbed to TOR and not play.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

For the love of god why does this post still exist.  123 pages of people saying the same two things over and over.

Originally posted by sirphobos

For the love of god why does this post still exist.  123 pages of people saying the same two things over and over.

Because only one of them is correct.
This discussion has been closed.