Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

question on the ftp model

blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

Hey guys,

I'm giving some SERIOUS thought to going back on the 16th when the new payment model opens.  Been missing the hell outta this game, and I found the year named emu hollow and lacking when I tried it once upon a time.   

Any word on what the 4 races and 4 classes available with freebie playing are?  I'm probably going to pay to unlock a few combos or just full out sub to play the combos I used to love but would like to know what the freemiums get since I know a few co-workers who started mmo'ing in WoW are looking forward to trying the classic.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Not sure yet, but you should be able to play your old characters as well. They did at least for EQ2 allow you to unlock older chars.

I personally think SOE are a bit to greedy with the F2P model but it wont cost you anything to try it out. And I just base that on what they did with EQ2, I have no clue about EQ.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Details on Free to Play here:  http://www.everquest.com/free/

The four free races included with FREE and Silver Memberships are: Human, Erudite, Barbarian and Gnome.

The four free classes included with FREE and Silver Memberships are: Warrior, Cleric, Wizard, and Rogue.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Races:

Human, Barbarian, Erudite, Gnome (AKA human, big human, bald human, short humanoid)

Classes:

Warrior, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue - a much shorter selection than EQ2's freebies

Not sure where I saw it now, but I believe that characters created before the FTP changeover are grandfathered out of these race and class restrictions. Though the slots-per-server limits will probably still apply, so you likely will have to pick and choose which of your old characters you want to play.

• rondericronderic Member Posts: 56

I just started playing again after a 5 year break. All I can say is: I am hooked again. Btw. I have a couple of friends who have never played eq. Last week I told them to download the game and make themselves an account - guess what? They didnt have to enter any payment details or game keys, it would seem that F2P has already started. They are playing happily on my server as I write this. Try it out!

You can please some MMO-players all of the time and you can please all MMO-players some of the time but you can't please all MMO-players all of the time.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Originally posted by CasualMaker

Not sure where I saw it now, but I believe that characters created before the FTP changeover are grandfathered out of these race and class restrictions.

That's correct, if you have characters created already, they are grandfathered in.  So the restrictions only apply to new F2P accounts.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

from the faq

http://www.everquest.com/free/

- Races and Classes: Any character you created before February 29th 2012 will be playable regardless of race or class.