Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3...beta or demo?

wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

As you may know, the D3 beta is just a taste of the beginning part of the game. You are "done" with the beta in an hour. You are barely getting warmed up when big white text appears onscreen telling you..."Okay, you are done." Blizzard has flooded gamesites with 1000s of beta keys for giveaway. If you havent got one, you arent trying very hard. IMO, its just a marketing gimmick. Blizzard doesnt give a rats arse who is in the beta or wether they are qualified to give any meaningful feedback.

I use to think betas were for testing. In D3, you're playing maybe 5-10% of the game. Dont they want the other 90% tested?

I guess there's method to their madness.

Semi related is my other puzzlement. How do Devs consider having to pre pay for a beta invite suppose to be for "testing" their game? To me you arent a beta tester at all. You have simply paid to preview the game. IMO, its just another marketing gimmick.

If i sign up to beta test a game, and without having to pre order, i get invited, then by all means, i will help them beta test their game. I think you are obligated to.

Just my 2 cents...rant off

Comments

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

Companys using betas as marketing gimmicks? you must be joking!

/sarcasm off

Being included in a beta  gives the player some kind of prestige, people feel good and unique wen they are chosen over others, so wen someone anounces a beta lots of people will go for it, also the people who is ou the beta are interested on how its doing, cos its beta its high secret so they wanto to know and look for the info and videos of the beta testers who are willing to show how they got in and what they are doing, just free marketing.

True betas are closed and have NDA, so open beta only have 2 purposes, test the servers with lots of players and marketing.

Diablo 3 beta is just the first chapter because i supose is the one wich is ready to show, so no testing, just marketing.

Edit: my english is horrible.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Blizzard had a lot of things to test, as Diablo3 is always online they need to be sure the servers are stable etc to handle the massive amount of players it will need to cope with and the auction house stuff.

Also look at how D3 had chnaged since beta went out some 6 months ago.. a lot.

In Diablo's case the beta has done what beta's are designed to do.

• myrmxmyrmx Member Posts: 93

there's no point in testing texture and script of the high end content because it's not what can go wrong with a game ... I actually like the way diabo3 is working giving us multiple skills to use at low level depending on the version build they use ... i can't say i'm that happy about the console port of the interface but oh well we'll have to deal with it  i guess.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

[mod edit]

This guy just posted this in another thread he started and it got locked in just a few minutes... if you go there expect to have trojans on yer computer.

Lolipops !

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Who makes an account and doesn't post for 6 years and then makes a phishing thread?

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Obvious scam is ...Obvious scam.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

[mod edit]

kind of diabolic.

Lolipops !

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

[mod edit]
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by myrmx

there's no point in testing texture and script of the high end content because it's not what can go wrong with a game ... I actually like the way diabo3 is working giving us multiple skills to use at low level depending on the version build they use ... i can't say i'm that happy about the console port of the interface but oh well we'll have to deal with it  i guess.

I'm unhappy with almost everything about D3. The graphics are WoWish and washed out. They removed almost everything that was good from D2. I'm a diehard Diablo fan and I will NOT be buying this game until it hits the bargain bins.

Compared to D2 it's going to be trash and a big disappointment.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

[mod edit]

Lolipops !