Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Loved it at first but now I just can't log in

chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Fact: I am a massive Star Wars fan (original films) in fact the first film I ever saw was Star Wars episode 4.

I was buzzed by this game and even though it looked like another theme park I didn't care, I just loved the world of SWTOR.

Problem is my enthusiasm for the game has died quicker than I can believe.  I bought a 3 months sub and I am only 4 weeks into it and its not a good sign that I prefer games on my phone more than SWTOR.

If I can articulate this right, my biggest issue is that the game is a single player game with MMO elements.  So you lose out on both genres.  I want to get through the story line but I don't want to grind for hours just to get to the next bit.  I can play a single player game that has a great story with meaningful gameplay.

But then the game isn't really an MMO so you don't have any reason to grind for epic gear, housing or whatever.  So its just not worth it. 

Besides all of that, I find it way too easy, I don't think I even watch the screen when I fight half the time.  It has some sexy moments and I loved the dialogue at first but now its just speech overload so my space bar gets a work out.

I don't want the game to fail but for me its like meeting the woman of your dreams then finding out after 4 weeks, she really isn't anything more than a pretty face.  Shame. 

Comments

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

I am not a huge Star Wars fan, I was not hyped for the release and still had the same game experience as you. This, in my eyes, shows that the game will not last. I managed to unsub before they stripped me of my £25 - but If they had I would still not play. Shame  :(

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by chryses

I was buzzed by this game and even though it looked like another theme park I didn't care, I just loved the world of SWTOR.

[...]

Besides all of that, I find it way too easy, I don't think I even watch the screen when I fight half the time.  It has some sexy moments and I loved the dialogue at first but now its just speech overload so my space bar gets a work out.

This was where you made your mistake.

You knew it was a nother theme park yet you expected more from it. Unlike some, I dont fault you for trying the game. After all, you never know if you'll like it until you actually try it. You just went a little overboard with the 3 month subscription I think. I learned the hard way long ago never to get too excited about a new game until I've actually had the chance to try it.

I like Star Wars (the original films). I think the Star Wars universe is cool. I'm not a Star Wars uber-fan, though. I bought the game to try it myself, except I read what people thought of it beorehand, and as a result I wasn't expecting much from it. Like you, I rather enjoyed it for the first few weeks of my free trial. Unfortunately by the end of my first month it just felt like I was doing the same old thing, fighting the same old enemies, over and over. So I unsubbed.

Am I disappointed in the game? Sure, I think they could've done a lot more with it.

Am I sorry I bought it? Not at all. It wasn't for me, but I can see how others might enjoy it. Besides that, I can actually give an informed opinion on it rather than curising the game without knowing a thing about it like some people. I only paid the box price, and it lasted me 3½ weeks. Thats more than I can say for a lot of single-player games being put out there.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

True, I just thought my love of Star Wars would carry me through most of the levels.  I am wishing now that they just made a kick arse open world Star Wars game and not gone the MMO route.  Even if they add a ton of content, after the gloss wears off it still wont be enough.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

To me, they totally blew it on PvP.   I leveled on a PvP server and had exactly 2 open world fights since the game released.  On my server the PvP endgame consists of standing on a bridge in Ilum trading kills or running the same 3 Warzones over and over again.

Once the storyline ended... so did the game.   Yeah, I could make another alt and see that story but it will require doing the same stuff 80% of the time.

Am I sorry I bought it?  No,  I knew what I was getting and being a big SW (original trilogy) fan I enjoyed the story.  I havent logged in for 10 days though, so it seems like my time has ended.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

As a lot of people have said in one way or another, having an open world world to explore would have given this game a lot more staying power for a lot more people.

In my case, I was really bummed when i finished Coruscant and then found myself on Nar Shadaa. How are they at all different? The color a little bit. But it's basically kill gang members and droids in the same sort of tunnels and walled in areas. There is no exploration. You just go around and keep killing stuff and completing the inevitable "bonus" missions. Go into the little instances and do more of the same. 

I think this game is not meant to be played for more than an hour or two at a stretch or you would surely go insane. Seriously. 

But if there was an open world you could just go check stuff out. I think that was a lot of the charm or WoW. You could just go fishing, explore, gather, whatever. I don't see those kind of offerings in this game. You just get in and move down the line.

I like the way my toon looks and I like being able to explore the Sith story, but there needs to be more to keep people around for a while. This is going to be a niche game soon enough with a hardcore fan base who has a lot of stuff and has acheived some sort of supreme position in this game in a short time which they don't want to give up by moving to another game.  That's my take, anyway. 

I still play because I have time on my timecard, but I can't see subbing right now. I have another 60-day time card, but I'm going to hang on to it and see what happens with future patches and see if BW moves toward throwing explorers a bone.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm on a pvp server, too. I got into exactly 1 fight so far on Tatooine. It was actually 3 fights, but all with the same dude over a 10 minute time span. Otherwise, as Imp, it's pretty much Huttball 80% of the time.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

It's not just adding an open world that would help, though.  It would still be boring to play through due to how static combat is.  You fight one clump of mobs at level 1 and they react the exact same way at level 50.  There is no variety to the enemy AI and combat is pretty much the same per class just with different animations.  To me, that's a core design decision that is going to kill the game no matter what content they add in the next few years.  If the game had an active combat system more akin to Tera or heck, even the NGE of SWG had better combat it might have had staying power.  Ah well.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Game is in trouble not sure what can be done. Ive stopped playing.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161

Well, I was tired of the Genre with "Return of the Jedi" but I kept buying into it...

I did not buy this game, mainly because of hearing similar complaints.  In my mind, an MMO should be a long-term commitment.  And nothing in this games speaks of it.

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Yea I dont have much fun either when I play solo..  But its pretty easy , atleast to me, to find people all day and night to group with..  Unless I need to do some solo stuff I am always grouped up with someone, makes the game a lot more fun..

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by elocke

It's not just adding an open world that would help, though.  It would still be boring to play through due to how static combat is.  You fight one clump of mobs at level 1 and they react the exact same way at level 50.  There is no variety to the enemy AI and combat is pretty much the same per class just with different animations.  To me, that's a core design decision that is going to kill the game no matter what content they add in the next few years.  If the game had an active combat system more akin to Tera or heck, even the NGE of SWG had better combat it might have had staying power.  Ah well.

Basically.  Every fight is pretty much the same.  The only time it is different?  Boss fights in raids/fp's.  Every class will use the same 4 (maybe 5 if you are overdoing it) skills again and again.  And they approach the fight the exact same way each time.  It just isn't fun combat.  WoW got around this by having some interesting skills that required a bit of foresight.  (wasn't my thing, but Isee what they were doing.)

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Since you all stopped playing can I have you stuff? If so, can you wipe the tears of them. Thx!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by StoneRoses

Since you all stopped playing can I have you stuff? If so, can you wipe the tears of them. Thx!

Dude, if you're Sith you can gain power from the tears...

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Originally posted by chryses

[...]

You knew it was a nother theme park yet you expected more from it.

With that big budget+Bioware+Star Wars, yeah we excpected a lot more, hell even a 2 bit Asian f2p MMO with low budget have more features and funnier gameplay than TOR.

This defence from so many its a themepark bla bla bla, don't cut it, TOR is not even a themepark  Bioware have started a whole new genre called railpark.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Torgrim

With that big budget+Bioware+Star Wars, yeah we excpected a lot more, hell even a 2 bit Asian f2p MMO with low budget have more features and funnier gameplay than TOR.

This defence from so many its a themepark bla bla bla, don't cut it, TOR is not even a themepark  Bioware have started a whole new genre called railpark.

That's what used to really irritate me with the BioDrones...   Vanilla WoW...  Vanilla WoW...   It's just a baby...

I was like, dudes, LOTRO was prematurely released by Turbine on 1/5th the budget because of the DDO fiasco.   It had more features.  It was more polished.    It had more end game and better PvP.