Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was I too hard on SWTOR?

Comments

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by Fed1

Originally posted by noncley

I have to say that I didn't experience too many bugs at Swtor's launch - in fact, on the whole, I'd say the game was pretty polished at roll-out. That's not to say I didn't find it horribly over-hyped and over-priced considering how limited, linear and 'small' this AAA game turned out to be.

Hmm Hoth a single open  planet in SWTOR same size as all of Rift. Curious what do you consider "not small"?

Hoth could be 400% smaller and it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

I have to say that I didn't experience too many bugs at Swtor's launch - in fact, on the whole, I'd say the game was pretty polished at roll-out. That's not to say I didn't find it horribly over-hyped and over-priced considering how limited, linear and 'small' this AAA game turned out to be.

Hmm Hoth a single open  planet in SWTOR same size as all of Rift. Curious what do you consider "not small"?

hmmmm, I don't know where you pulled that 'fact' out of your ass from but:

1/. Hoth is not open

2/. Hoth has only a tiny amount of content

3/. Hoth is defintely not the 'same size as all of Rift'.

Seriously, dude, I've played both games so don't try to bamboozle me - or anyone else.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by Anubisan

I always hear about all of these huge game-breaking bugs in SWTOR. I've been playing since beta and, while I have seen some bugs, they have all been very minor and most of them have already been fixed. I have not seen these HUGE game-breaking issues so many people on this forum love to talk about. In fact, pretty much everyone I have played with in SWTOR have had very few complaints in regards to bugs or lack of polish.

This is seriously one of the most polished games I have EVER played at release...

My guild spent two weeks on Nightmare Soa all because every single night he would bug out and many of his platforms (which you jump down on) disappear and never come back for the raid lockout.  The consequence is if you try to jump down without a platform being there, you die.

SWTOR totally lacks polish and is full of bugs.  But so do most MMOs out there.  There is no an MMO launch I can remember that was not buggy.

If a game is released with bugs, who cares.  There is not a GAME that has come out in the last 6 years that has not had bugs.  Our concern should not be if it has bugs, but if the developer fixes them.  As a subscription based game this gives us the opportunity to unsub if the game becomes unplayable and re-sub if they fix them.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

1/. Hoth is not open

Seriously, dude, I've played both games so don't try to bamboozle me - or anyone else.

I was skeptical of this as well...I'd like to know a source for this Rift=Hoth claim as well.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

Originally posted by SignusM

Originally posted by jacklo

Originally posted by lilHeala

Just to emphasise, I don't care how many games have been released years ago with bugs or lack of content.

MMO's were a new concept back then, not that that's an excuse for bugs anyway. 

New mmo's are new as well, it all depends on how all the data is put together, the engine etc. and the live environment allways functions differently than the internal QA server, alpha server, beta server even if you have many folks testing on them still things can and will work differently once the masses are let free on it.

OS's aren't a new concept either and microsoft has made them for years yet they still can't release a bug free OS and even today there's still a shetload of windows xp bugs not fixed.

Oh c'mon, there's bugs, and there's BUGS. Don't take my post out of context.

No software is bug free, but there's a point where it gets beyond a joke.

And yet you or any others here have not mentioned a "Game Breaking" bug. If you think SWTOR has BUGS , then you simply do not like MMOs.

And regarding the other comments from posters about MMOs, wait til people play GW2 no healing no raids, instanced gathering ...

There are plenty of things to be wary about in GW2, but at least it'll be an MMO, unlike SWTOR. And who gives a shit if there's no raids? There's only been like 2 games with decent raiding.

Comical - I love this place. GW2 is lower on the MMO scale than SWTOR.

MMORRPG - Where SWTOR is the WOW CLONE THAT IS NOT A MMO - LOL

GW2 at least has an open world in most places, unlike SWTOR. And SWTOR is, without a doubt, a WoW clone.

GW2 is smaller than SWTOR - Hoth alone is the size of Rift and totally open.

http://www.mmorpg.com/photo/68d4a45e-fe96-44c7-9b13-4bd25de47e78

Of course nothing compaes to the older MMOs

http://www.mmorpg.com/photo/df70f8fb-e970-4cb4-95d9-0107517c2fc9

You have just proven dear sir you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about

• zimmy910zimmy910 Member UncommonPosts: 190

Which only makes it more annoying to travel through, traveling times in this game are horrible. Things are spread out for no reason at all. And you can't go anywhere but the designated 'rails'.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Sure Hoth and Tatooine are large and somewhat open.  However, that's it as far as open zones go.  Every other zone is a walled in mess.  I even have no problem with the city zones being walled in, I even enjoy some of them Cor and Nar.  However, there was no excuse to wall in all the other planets.  Definitely my biggest irritation with SWTOR.  Let's not even bring up Rift and their poor excuse for zone size and design...

I think OP is wrong however, about polish.  The game engine is poorly optimized but I don't think that polish is even on the top 10 issues with SWTOR.  And regarding TERA, you can't even cast an instant on the run, nice smooth fluid combat...

• Fed1Fed1 Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by wojtekpl

You have just proven dear sir you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about

Convincing argument - LOL MMOMAVERICKs work generally respected

This link might help you understand

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/306052

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Size doesn't matter, quality use of the size is what matters.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

I've made a lot of posts about SWTOR over the last couple of months. Pretty much all of them have been negative and as such I have been labelled a "hater" by some.

So with the experience of SWTOR beta weekends and 2 months of gameplay behind me, I started playing the TERA beta.

I've got up to level 12 as an archer on TERA and in some ways it's very similar to SWTOR with regards to linear questing. I did enjoy levelling up in SWTOR and I'm enjoying TERA in the same way.

Do I miss the voiceovers? Not at all but that's a personal opinion.

The difference playing TERA over SWTOR is quite simply the polish at this point in time.

I have yet to come across a single bug. Yes it's early days, but SWTOR was full of them, not only in beta but also 2 months into release.

Other than bugs, the game plays very nicely on my computer at full graphics settings, which are arguably far superior to the graphics in SWTOR where it was barely playable at the lowest settings.

TERA appears to have the polish I admired in RIFT and on that basis I say "No, I wasn't too hard on SWTOR".

Polish CAN be achieved in an MMO and there's no excuse for releasing poorly coded and poorly performing games to us anymore.

The message we need to be sending out to game publishers now is that they need to try harder or suffer the wrath of disgruntled customers.

So you got to lvl 12 in Tera and declare that it's bug free.... rofl...   I expect you to be in Tera forums in a few weeks ranting over there how bad the game is just like you did SWTOR....

And as many have pointed out Like Aion, Tera had been out for over a year in Korea  so it's had lots of time to fix things...  I bet if you used the same handle in Rift I could do a search for your name and there will be a lot of negative posts made by you on there also...

The Message is "Some people are just born trolls"  proven by your need to come into the SWTOR forums and talk about Tera...  Tera forums are that way buddy --------->

1/. Hoth is not open

Seriously Dude anyone can take a level 14 character and see for themselves. How is Hoth not open? It is a roughly 6km bt 7km OPEN rectangle. Hoth has around 5 levels of content 37-41. Hardly tiny.

Here is how the data is calculated

Here is Mavericks calculation on Rift vs Hoth

"crossing a map square took ca 30 seconds, which makes the normal run speed 200/30 = 6.67 m/s or 14.9 miiles/hour, which puts it slightly above WoW (14.4 mi/h) and LotrO (14.6 mi/h).

As for size, Hoth seems to be the size of Rift's world, which comes close to rough estimations I made myself. Using some maps of some other normal planets I have, my estimations point in the direction of SWTOR's total worldsize to be 2-3 times WoW vanilla."

Facts can be hard on some people. Seriously stop lying to people dude- Especially when they can check in game that you are incorrect.

Originally posted by RizelStar

And SWTOR has used the size appropriately. Hoth FEELS like an Ice world. Unlike most games in the genre where 2 steps to the right snow, 2 steps to the left its jungle, 2 steps south its desert. This kills immersion in other games.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by RizelStar

And SWTOR has used the size appropriately. Hoth FEELS like an Ice world. Unlike most games in the genre where 2 steps to the right snow, 2 steps to the left its jungle, 2 steps south its desert. This kills immersion in other games.

What I mean fed is how much soule and actually quality content is put in there not size. If we want to be in terms of immersion then that's really off. I mean just a simple word describes the actual difference I mean I could elaborate but I shouldn't have to. Static is that word.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by monoth

I've made a lot of posts about SWTOR over the last couple of months. Pretty much all of them have been negative and as such I have been labelled a "hater" by some.

So with the experience of SWTOR beta weekends and 2 months of gameplay behind me, I started playing the TERA beta.

I've got up to level 12 as an archer on TERA and in some ways it's very similar to SWTOR with regards to linear questing. I did enjoy levelling up in SWTOR and I'm enjoying TERA in the same way.

The difference playing TERA over SWTOR is quite simply the polish at this point in time.

I have yet to come across a single bug. Yes it's early days, but SWTOR was full of them, not only in beta but also 2 months into release.

Other than bugs, the game plays very nicely on my computer at full graphics settings, which are arguably far superior to the graphics in SWTOR where it was barely playable at the lowest settings.

TERA appears to have the polish I admired in RIFT and on that basis I say "No, I wasn't too hard on SWTOR".

Polish CAN be achieved in an MMO and there's no excuse for releasing poorly coded and poorly performing games to us anymore.

The message we need to be sending out to game publishers now is that they need to try harder or suffer the wrath of disgruntled customers.

So you got to lvl 12 in Tera and declare that it's bug free.... rofl...   I expect you to be in Tera forums in a few weeks ranting over there how bad the game is just like you did SWTOR....

And as many have pointed out Like Aion, Tera had been out for over a year in Korea  so it's had lots of time to fix things...  I bet if you used the same handle in Rift I could do a search for your name and there will be a lot of negative posts made by you on there also...

The Message is "Some people are just born trolls"  proven by your need to come into the SWTOR forums and talk about Tera...  Tera forums are that way buddy --------->

I only have one account on here so anything I said about Rift is there for you to look at.

I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade and you'll find both good posts and bad posts about Rift.

Overall Rift is a quality game compared to SWTOR in my opinion. When I did speak out about Rift it was due to the lack of any development to progress PvP. I'm not ashamed to have made those comments, which at the time were my feelings about the game.

I'm neither a fanboy nor hater of any game although I was dissapointed by SWTOR for sure.

With regards Tera, I don't see myself buying that game. It's too similar to everything else around right now, although it looks and runs really well.

So I mentioned Tera in the SWTOR forums, whilst I was discussing the shortcomings of SWTOR. Big deal.

If you can't take critical comments about your game, perhaps you need to stop reading my posts.

The fact that you followed my post history from another thread in order to make a childish rant in my direction shows who's trolling here.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by monoth

I only have one account on here so anything I said about Rift is there for you to look at.

I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade and you'll find both good posts and bad posts about Rift.

Overall Rift is a quality game compared to SWTOR in my opinion. When I did speak out about Rift it was due to the lack of any development to progress PvP. I'm not ashamed to have made those comments, which at the time were my feelings about the game.

I'm neither a fanboy nor hater of any game although I was dissapointed by SWTOR for sure.

With regards Tera, I don't see myself buying that game. It's too similar to everything else around right now, although it looks and runs really well.

So I mentioned Tera in the SWTOR forums, whilst I was discussing the shortcomings of SWTOR. Big deal.

If you can't take critical comments about your game, perhaps you need to stop reading my posts.

The fact that you followed my post history from another thread in order to make a childish rant in my direction shows who's trolling here.

You have a stalker bro lol,btw I found Tera to be the same very very bug free unlike as you said SW:TOR beta

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

One thing to remember is that in the case of TERA beta, you aren't testing a game under development.   You are testing the translation from the already released Korean game.

Originally posted by grapevine

One thing to remember is that in the case of TERA beta, you aren't testing a game under development.   You are testing the translation from the already released Koeran game.

with probably a third of the budget SW:TOR had, just sayin

Originally posted by Dreadblade

One thing to remember is that in the case of TERA beta, you aren't testing a game under development.   You are testing the translation from the already released Koeran game.

And a lot less mechanics.  Also SWTOR is not "full of bugs", it has them yes but that's not the same thing.

And a lot less mechanics.

no less voice overs, what mechanics has SW:TOR brought into the genre? While at least Tera has done away with tab targeting which is more innovative then anything SW:TOR brought to the table

And a lot less mechanics.

no less voice overs, what mechanics has SW:TOR brought into the genre? While at least Tera has done away with tab targeting which is more innovative then anything SW:TOR brought to the table

As did SWG NGE, DCU, CO (when enabled) and STO (after the revamp).     I'm not saying its a bad game, just TERA doesn't bring anything new either.   Its also scaled back on character development, to what has become the norm.  Apart from the extremely false claim its combat system is innovative, its a cut down MMO.   That being said complexity (and innovation) doesn't make a good game, it being enjoyable does.

Again what did SW:TOR bring to the genre that was new and innovative that cost hundreds of millions to develop???? Tera, GW2, TSW are all doing it on a lot smaller budgets are from what I have seen as a CBT for Tera it has a lot more polish then TOR did in beta.

• treistytreisty Member Posts: 34

I play swtor on max settings and I cant play tera even on the lowest of them. I can play ME3 almost on max but cant play tera on the lowest. Ye...

Again what did SW:TOR bring to the genre that was new and innovative that cost hundreds of millions to develop???? Tera, GW2, TSW are all doing it on a lot smaller budgets are from what I have seen as a CBT for Tera it has a lot more polish then TOR did in beta.

And that has to do with bugs in what way?   I'm not claiming innovation on SWTOR's behalf.

Also (as stated) in the case of TERA, you aren't beta testing a game under development.  Just like Aion, you are testing the translation from an already released game, from one region to another.   Of course its going to have less bugs, than a game that's just been out of development for a few months.

• 1carcarah11carcarah1 Member Posts: 172

TERA also has 8 different classes

six different races there arent just different skins on the same human model

breathtaking landscapes that arent just for looks

beautiful animations

different tank[provoker] mechanic

real world PvP

RvR PvP

Well you did state that they spent all that money on mechanics, I want to know what mechanics, because a game on a 1/3 of the budget if that runs better, a lot more fluid, and not to mention smoother then TOR from a character standpoint. What mechanics does ToR have that other games do not that cost soooo much money that they are ground breaking?