Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG: If there were to be a rally at the doorstep of LucasArts....

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by kobie173

Superniceguy, you keep insisting that TOR has suffered some mass exodus. Which is complete bullshit.

TOR is better than SWG at any point since 11/15/05, and possibly before. It amazes me how some delusional people still think that SWG would have outperformed TOR if just given the chance. SWG had its chance.

I guess you just do not miss all the things that are missing. I am not the only one, and others miss other stuff that is missing which is not in SWG.

SWTOR is just to easy, and to get to 50 is just too fast, and then  people just feel done. WIth all other MMOs, there are plenty of distractions. LOTRO after spening 500 hours in it my main character is only in its 30s.

SWG has its flaws but the systems are what keep people coming -  space, crafting, player cities and housing, Beast Master, Chronicles, collections, player BH system etc Obviously you do not care for these things, others do, and you can get most of these in other MMOs too.

It amazes me how people can just accept SWTOR to be so lacking, and say it is better than SWG or any other MMO. People are not impressed with these missing features, and it makes it a MMO not worth subscribing to. All MMOs should be designed that even the hardcore players do not max out after about 3 months, initially, then slowly made easier. eg SWG had 10 min shuttle waits, which many people just accpeted but did not take long to drop down to 1 min, then had ITVs and so forth.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    The best hope for SWG fans is that SOE reskin it as a generic space game using the final NGE engine, but I can't see them investing the cash in it as it would just raise the ire of the Pre-CU crowd who would give them endless negative publicity.
  • Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I just had to laugh when I saw this thread. People don't seem to understand the basics of business. As in Supply and Demand. Since there wasn't enough demand for SWG before (people actually subscribing to it), then SOE will sure as hell not supply it.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

If you had a rally at his house, he probably would pass out a collection plate. That's how he views the fans of his products.

Originally posted by Master10K

I just had to laugh when I saw this thread. People don't seem to understand the basics of business. As in Supply and Demand. Since there wasn't enough demand for SWG before (people actually subscribing to it), then SOE will sure as hell not supply it.

There was more demand for it than DCUO or Vanguard. It would have more demand than STO if it went F2P.

• latelylucidlatelylucid Member Posts: 7

hey you all know that there is a great team currently rebuilding swg from the ground up.. pre-cu, pre-nge.. restoring swg to what is was around the time JTL came out. im surprised nobody mentioned this within this post. they have made a TON of progress recently and it is getting close..    www.swgemu.com

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by RefMinor

The best hope for SWG fans is that SOE reskin it as a generic space game using the final NGE engine, but I can't see them investing the cash in it as it would just raise the ire of the Pre-CU crowd who would give them endless negative publicity.

SOE earned that "negativity". SOE has EARNED their reputation. SOE didn't care about the customers they had, EVER...they only ever cared about the ones they DIDN'T have.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Lately you're not allowed to talk about EMulators on MMORPG.com. YOu should edit that a little so you don't get a warning. :)

We should hire the 501st to storm SOE, and liberate the original code.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by RefMinor

SOE earned that "negativity". SOE has EARNED their reputation. SOE didn't care about the customers they had, EVER...they only ever cared about the ones they DIDN'T have.

You can say that about any company, and getting that feeling more so with SWTOR. They are all as bad as one another, but at leat SOE responded to every single ticket I sentt them over the 8.5 years, even if it was to say "Sorry can not do". EA/Bioware on the other hand, just ignored my tickets.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

What nostaliga can do to people is just sad :). SWG was crappy , lagy game with bad, bad pvp and with one o0f the worst game mechanic in history of mmo. Prove for this are only 50 people left on the end. Even worst f2p mmo today have for sure over 2k - 3k players, so thats speaks about quality of swg. As a big fan of SW i tried hard to play swg for few months with some breaks but on the end i was just looking in to screen and thinking in my head--'Ooo why i give so much try to this crap. And today after amazing swtor i can't even remember what was that game about.

Originally posted by palulalula

What nostaliga can do to people is just sad :). SWG was crappy , lagy game with bad, bad pvp and with one o0f the worst game mechanic in history of mmo. Prove for this are only 50 people left on the end. Even worst f2p mmo today have for sure over 2k - 3k players, so thats speaks about quality of swg. As a big fan of SW i tried hard to play swg for few months with some breaks but on the end i was just looking in to screen and thinking in my head--'Ooo why i give so much try to this crap. And today after amazing swtor i can't even remember what was that game about.

SWG was never a F2P MMO. 50 people would not have made 4 servers go full in June when the closure was announced. So obviously you do not know what you are talking about.

SWTOR is amazing for its cut secenes and story, like watching a film, but for gameplay it is nothing compared to SWG. No player cities/housing, dumbed down crafting, dumb down space, no BM or CH/BE, no chronicles type system, lack of open world environment, no Beast Master, no multiplayer vehicles etc etc. SWTOR has all the great stuff for a single player game (with multiplayer options), but for a MMO, it is severely lacking.

SWG was not perfect, it was laggy, and seriously flawed, but I would rather play with those systems, than play with nothing in SWTOR as stuff just does not exist.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by ezduzit

If there were to be a rally at the doorstep of LucasArts, where ever that may be, would you fly over to attend? Bro's, I would in a heart beat. I would buy a ticket and meet you all there. 

In the name of all MMO's , if this were to happened to any other community (It eventually will), I would support you 100%. 100% that you make it safely to the doorstep and represent us as a whole. 

This shouldn't have happened.  

RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqYcYRsjkdg

SWG is not dead.

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by Sylvarii

If there were to be a rally at the doorstep of LucasArts, where ever that may be, would you fly over to attend? Bro's, I would in a heart beat. I would buy a ticket and meet you all there. 

In the name of all MMO's , if this were to happened to any other community (It eventually will), I would support you 100%. 100% that you make it safely to the doorstep and represent us as a whole. 

RIP

SWG is not dead.

for u, but to some of us it's dead sad but true:(

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Elminzter

Originally posted by Sylvarii

RIP

SWG is not dead.

for u, but to some of us it's dead sad but true:(

Nope,you have just stopped playing it,that does not mean it's dead,as for me,i don't play it.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Originally posted by superniceguy

SWG was never a F2P MMO. 50 people would not have made 4 servers go full in June when the closure was announced. So obviously you do not know what you are talking about.

SWTOR is amazing for its cut secenes and story, like watching a film, but for gameplay it is nothing compared to SWG. No player cities/housing, dumbed down crafting, dumb down space, no BM or CH/BE, no chronicles type system, lack of open world environment, no Beast Master, no multiplayer vehicles etc etc. SWTOR has all the great stuff for a single player game (with multiplayer options), but for a MMO, it is severely lacking.

SWG was not perfect, it was laggy, and seriously flawed, but I would rather play with those systems, than play with nothing in SWTOR as stuff just does not exist.

I didnt say it was f2p--i said it was worst then any f2p mmo

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

I dont believe it was an accident that SWG closed its servers within a week of the TOR launch. It was a calculated move by LA and I dont think protests and pettiions will bring it back even if it would be in  best interests of LA to do so which it may or may not be. That would mean LA admitting they made a mistake and that will not happen. It is sad that they killed SGW if for no other reason than that the genre needs more sci fi games as well as sandbox games.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

Virtually all P2P games are worse than F2P games, as you do not have to pay, and anybody can play, with the exception of WOW, but for 8 years and P2P and the its bad coverage it was sill ticking good enough, and doing better than DCUO, which only has 4 servers and can only be on one depending which version you  have although PC has the choice of two.

If SWTOR does not get these MMO systems added, or it does not go F2P, then it will be deader than SWG sooner

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Virtually all P2P games are worse than F2P games, as you do not have to pay, and anybody can play, with the exception of WOW, but for 8 years and P2P and the its bad coverage it was sill ticking good enough, and doing better than DCUO, which only has 4 servers and can only be on one depending which version you  have although PC has the choice of two.

If SWTOR does not get these MMO systems added, or it does not go F2P, then it will be deader than SWG sooner

Actuially you do have to play (unless you like playing a derived subset of the real game)... and most of the decent F2P MMO games at the moment were all developed as P2P and have used F2P to reinvent themselves or make more money than they ever did in the first place..

Originally posted by Isane

Actuially you do have to play (unless you like playing a derived subset of the real game)... and most of the decent F2P MMO games at the moment were all developed as P2P and have used F2P to reinvent themselves or make more money than they ever did in the first place..

I asume pay? More people will play it if it is free, even if it is just play until have to pay, so still boosts servers, whereas with P2P games these people will not even bother.

But once you have bought the stuff on F2P you do not need to pay again, so if yo uplan on playing short term then F2P would cost more, if you plan on playing long term, then it is cheaper, and some cases free all together. In STO you can earn Cryptic Points by trading in dilithium. Just keep doing the dailies and you will eventually get enough dilithium to trade in and not pay a penny.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by Gurpslord

You guys are like religious zealots.  I understande you liked your game, it's done now, it's not coming back.  Try to heal.

I will start to believe it is not coming back from 2013. This year with the movies being rereleased in the cinema, it is the best opportunity for SWG to make a return.

Even if SWTOR had half the bits of SWG that kept me subbing to SWG, I would keep subbing to SWTOR more, and not worry SWG is gone, but SWTOR has NONE of them.

It also depends on how SWTOR does too, if it keeps tanking, and LA got more profit in the long run with SWG than SWTOR is generating, then they will more likely do too.

SWG closed with population levels of that which kept DCUO operating. If that population was not enough, DCUO would have closed instead of going F2P. LA has good start if they were to take over it. SWG population levels were about the average, especially for a P2P game. WOW is an exception. If they also make SWG go F2P, SWG will rock the charts, and certainly do far better than STO is doing, which is awesome atm.

If SWG returns they will probably get that back, and more, as people are missing SWG. Posts have been popping up on SWTOR forums too - Keep at it guys, either SWTOR will get the bits from SWG, or they will bring back SWG, if they are not already considering it.

Wow...  You're actually being serious SNG?  Dude, it's not coming back, EVER.  You need to accept that and move on.  TOR is the new Star Wars game and will be for a while.  SWG is gone and you will never see it again, especially the NGE version. 

Tecmo Bowl.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

No offense, but the game was awful.

Okay, maybe that's a little harsh but the game wasn't very good and with licensing fees, there was just no way that SOE could keep this game with even the illusion of being profitable. I'm all for rallying the troops and I totally get wanting to bring back a game you cherished (it was Asheron's Call 2 for me). But there are so many things working against this theory. There just weren't very many subscribers towards the end of it's life cycle and in order for a Star Wars MMO to be profitable, you have to have a ton of subscribers. I would suggest even SWTOR's 1 miilion subscribers or so is going to have a difficult time being profitable and EA is kind of known for ditching things if it's not making money. We'll see what happens.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203

SWG in all three of its forms to me the funnest mmo I have ever played. I play SWTOR now and I hear all the time how much people miss SWG.

Originally posted by Thunderous

You guys are like religious zealots.  I understande you liked your game, it's done now, it's not coming back.  Try to heal.

I will start to believe it is not coming back from 2013. This year with the movies being rereleased in the cinema, it is the best opportunity for SWG to make a return.

Even if SWTOR had half the bits of SWG that kept me subbing to SWG, I would keep subbing to SWTOR more, and not worry SWG is gone, but SWTOR has NONE of them.

It also depends on how SWTOR does too, if it keeps tanking, and LA got more profit in the long run with SWG than SWTOR is generating, then they will more likely do too.

SWG closed with population levels of that which kept DCUO operating. If that population was not enough, DCUO would have closed instead of going F2P. LA has good start if they were to take over it. SWG population levels were about the average, especially for a P2P game. WOW is an exception. If they also make SWG go F2P, SWG will rock the charts, and certainly do far better than STO is doing, which is awesome atm.

If SWG returns they will probably get that back, and more, as people are missing SWG. Posts have been popping up on SWTOR forums too - Keep at it guys, either SWTOR will get the bits from SWG, or they will bring back SWG, if they are not already considering it.

Wow...  You're actually being serious SNG?  Dude, it's not coming back, EVER.  You need to accept that and move on.  TOR is the new Star Wars game and will be for a while.  SWG is gone and you will never see it again, especially the NGE version. 

I never said that SWG will come back, I said "if SWG returns", but to say it will not come back,  EVER, is a bit stupid, as no one knows what the future holds. I said SWG will return with uncertainty, you say it will not come back with certainty.

I never thought Dallas would come back as a series, but it is

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by TUX426

AMEN! Time to move on guys.

[mod edit]

Implying I haven't? As I've explained before...I find SWG a fascinating topic. How SOE botched the greatest and easiest selling IP of all time, blows my mind. I don’t dwell on hope the game will come back, I look at the array of mistakes they made and try to find rational besides pure greed and stupidity.

• XNephalimXXNephalimX Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by djmtott

No. At this point I'd rather see a SWG2, but unfortunately I don't see that happening, and even if it was an option out there I'm afraid it would be even less of a sandbox game than the NGE was. SWG followed the UO model, but that was proven to be less successful than the WoW model. LucasArts doesn't want a niche game with a small (even though very loyal) fanbase, so their games will be in step with the most successful model at the time.

I tend to agree with DJ here Op. Sad really.