Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we get rid of a lot of these crappy browser based games on mmorpg?

AxiomAxiom Member Posts: 15

Seriously, I come to MMORPG to look for GOOD mmorpgs! This latest influx of sh*tty Japanese Rpgs just needs to go away.... if you got rid of the junk on the game list, the list would be reduced by 2/3rds. 

Cant we get rid of this stuff?

Comments

• ZutchZutch Member UncommonPosts: 62

indeed...to many crap games

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Well without the ads they wouldn't have money to run the site now would they.. just use a ad blocker plug-in if they annoy you so much... i agreed alot of them are for below par games... but hey just dont click on them and look at the games that interest you.image

• AxiomAxiom Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Dekarx12

Well without the ads they wouldn't have money to run the site now would they.. just use a ad blocker plug-in if they annoy you so much... i agreed alot of them are for below par games... but hey just dont click on them and look at the games that interest you.image

I understand MMoRPG is a business and needs to make money. To be honest I dont think anything will come of this rant... But to just 'not look at them'. How can I not when I have to wade through a sea of mediocre games to find a TRUE mmorpg? 

How about creating mmobg.com? that way you can shuffle all that there so if you are looking for that type of game you can find it?

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

well.. if you would get rid of the crappy mmos in mmorpg games list.. the list would be almost empty wouldnt it?

id say.. 95% or more of the games would be removed, browser based or not.

just a final note.. there are pretty decent browser games coming up.. technology evolved a lot.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Here's a great answer to your question................... NO.................... hows that?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Just putting regulat MMOs and browser based games on fifferent lists would help.

I agree that the games should be kept apart since they are very different but i don´t mind that they are on the forum.

• VhadeVhade Member Posts: 6

I kind of agree,

I am playing a few fun Browser based games now, but stuff like this makes me wonder:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4804600/thread/343157#4804600

I played War of Thrones and let me tell you this is the EXACT same game just with a different name. So I think the mods here need to start screening these games a little better.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

I agree 1000%.  I would love to have a way to filter the games that I want to see.  Perhaps a 'profile' when you login to the site that can change the fields that you are interested in seeing vs being forced to view 'everything'?

If I never saw another F2P, browser based game listed... it would really be fine by me.

If I do decide that I want to look for other games, then I would have the option to look the F2P section or browser based section... whatever.

I really enjoy the site/MMORPG.COM and I check in here almost daily, but  I think a 'profile' or 'filter' would be a nice and welcome addition/feature.

Originally posted by EduardoASG

well.. if you would get rid of the crappy mmos in mmorpg games list.. the list would be almost empty wouldnt it?

id say.. 95% or more of the games would be removed, browser based or not.

just a final note.. there are pretty decent browser games coming up.. technology evolved a lot.

Well, I *will* agree there are a lot of crappy mmorpgs out there as well... but I accept that since I come to this site to try out mmorpgs... good and bad. But a lot of these japanese browser rpgs are just terrible. There should be a quota of a certain amount of hit or something a link should have before they get taken OFF the list. Otherwise I can see this list growing to 10 times this size in coming years since browser based games are still in their infancy.

So I guess I am not as against browser games as much as  I wish mmorpg.com would FILTER this stuff some how.. if a game is dead (maybe we could determine just HOW a game could be declared dead) take it off the list. Since I would put good money that a large number of these games are dead games.

Originally posted by BlackWatch

I agree 1000%.  I would love to have a way to filter the games that I want to see.  Perhaps a 'profile' when you login to the site that can change the fields that you are interested in seeing vs being forced to view 'everything'?

If I never saw another F2P, browser based game listed... it would really be fine by me.

If I do decide that I want to look for other games, then I would have the option to look the F2P section or browser based section... whatever.

I really enjoy the site/MMORPG.COM and I check in here almost daily, but  I think a 'profile' or 'filter' would be a nice and welcome addition/feature.

Agreed, I used to come to mmorpg.com daily.. now I stop by once a week since the amount of pure junk here is starting to send me to other sites. 

I just think some kind of filter or a seperate site for this would be a great idea.. or as I just mentioned... start deleting dead games.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Browser based games should have their own list plain and simple. Sometimes I'm ancient laptop that can only play browser based games, making it so I can find these games would only benefit the makers of these games. On the flip side when i"m on my real pc, I don't wanna look a browser based games.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

That is a good idea. They could sort games like regular MMOs, browser games, CORPGs and regular games (like Diablo 3) and you could ignore the types that doesn´t excite you just like the good ol' ignore list most mmos have. :)

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I dont see why this discussion is necessary. I myself dont care for non-fantasy MMOs. So what ? I can make a search here on MMORPG.com and filter out anything but fantasy. There. Done.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Originally posted by Axiom

Seriously, I come to MMORPG to look for GOOD mmorpgs! This latest influx of sh*tty Japanese Rpgs just needs to go away.... if you got rid of the junk on the game list, the list would be reduced by 2/3rds. 

Err, what?  Yeah, there are a lot of browser-based games on this site.  But I wasn't aware that the Japanese were the problem.  The only Japanese-made games listed here that I'm aware of are FFXI, FFXIV, and UWO, all of which get enough attention that it would be absurd to remove them from the site.  I looked up a couple of other games that I thought were Japanese, and found that they weren't.

As to the substance of your argument, how do you tell if a game is junk or not?  The problem is that it's often a matter of opinion.  For example, Spiral Knights has only three threads on its forum, and no posts this year.  It got blasted in an official review, albeit by a reviewer who somehow managed to completely miss the point of the game.  Try to make a "bad game" filter based on such metrics and it probably wouldn't survive.  But it's actually quite a good game.

If you only want to nix browser-based games, then I'd be a little more sympathetic, mainly on the premise that I'm not aware of any browser-based MMORPG that are any good.  But only a little more sympathetic, as it's easy to imagine that there could be a browser-based MMORPG that is quite good, and even if there isn't one today, there easily could be in the future.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Sure, please supply a list of Axiom approved games and I am sure they will limit their take on the MMO genre to that.

Lots of folks, lots of strokes. Some people have no sub money, some have old computers, some like Japanese RPGs, it's good that thee is a one stop shop for MMOs
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

At the end of the day there wont be any mmo left.... >.<"

RIP Orc Choppa

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

there are what: 3?5 at most popular title in the mmorpg genre!i aint sure a website can survive!with just supporting thos 3 to 5 game!but then i could be wrong

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Just because you personally don't like them nobody should be allowed to read about them? Sorry but this isn't your own personal MMORPG.com it's for everyone... Deal with it.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

If they remove the crappy mmorpgs browser or not, then how can the site persist with less then 5 games listed?

• stormseekazstormseekaz Member UncommonPosts: 168

I wish they would just keep it to MMORPG's.  I understand Browser based MMORPG's can still be MMORPG's.  But stuff like League of Legends?  I'm sorry but thats not an MMORPG.  Its not an RPG, its close, it has HP and attack damage and stats, but real RPG's you keep your characters.  And there might actually be some *gasp* roleplaying in a real RPG.  

Its also not an MMO.  I don't know where the transition occured, but there used to be something called "Online Game."  "Online RPG"  "Online FPS"  "Online Strategy Game"  At some point every online game started referring to themselves as MMO.

Lobby games cannot be MMO.  MMO used to mean persistent world, no temporary matches, no lobbies, players could meet up in the same area to form 50+ person crowds.  None of that stuff applies to many of these games calling themselves MMO's.

I played a game when I was 12 years old called "Nexus: The kingdom of the winds".  It came out about the same time UO and EQ1 did.  And it referred to itself as an "Online RPG."  Not an MMORPG.

Anything that calls itself an MMO, is trying to capitolize on the success of WoW being an "MMORPG."  They have no idea what MMO means and they are just using it as a marketing ploy.

Its sad that mmorpg.com is contributing to the misuse of the term "MMO" by listing those games on this site.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Agreed, I used to come to mmorpg.com daily.. now I stop by once a week since the amount of pure junk here is starting to send me to other sites. 

I just think some kind of filter or a seperate site for this would be a great idea.. or as I just mentioned... start deleting dead games.

Well, there goes all the sandboxes.

Zing! image

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

This thread axemplifies what is wrong with the genre:  People screaming that everyone should cater to ME, ME, ME. That is what most MMOs have devolved into, pleasing the ME, ME, ME people...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Guest: "They need to get rid of all the crap food on this menu"

Server: "Crap food?"

Guest: "Yeah, all these foods that have onions in them - I hate onions. You need to get that crap off your menu."

Server: "Uh, you don't have to order those dishes - you can order something you like!"

Guest: "STFU!"

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

mankind can not be saved ;_;

stop the nonsense and be  MAN FOR ONCE IN YER LIFE, All people do nowadays is

complain complain complaincomplain complain

Stop it! or i can't take it any longer and ill start complaining about everyone complaining over nothing !! ... OH wait i just did :(

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Realm of the mad god > several recent AAA titles