Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion character models... still setting the bar

VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

This isn't a thread about whether people like the Korean style or not, I recognise and respect that some don't, it is one about how Aion surpasses pretty much all other MMORPGs in terms of it's character model's in terms of 'personality' and 'soul'.

How did newer games, like SWTOR for example, that came after miss out on this and get it so wrong? It's so important and has a profound impact on the player experience and his/ her ability to 'connect' to the game world, even if they don't consciously realise it.

This is my new chanter on Nexus;

image  image

image image

Please ignore my crappy PC for these SS (I am waiting to ugrade for GW2 and have the GFX turned down quite a bit), but I am posting them to try and try to show a little about how much personality and 'soul' they have :)

Please feel free to throw some of your own pics up:)

Comments

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Someone's in love with his toon. :)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by StarI

Someone's in love with his toon. :)

I am a bit lol, I admit that :D

I think you have to be on ome level in these games though, even if you don't admit it hehe.

Playing to create and develop them in a MMORPG is fundamental after all, and Aion's ability to make me connect with my character is really what I am saying in the OP. Not many games can do that for me.

The main ones that have though are, apart from Aion, CoH and GW1... all NCsoft games, though all with very different art styles. Must say something though.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by Vesavius

How did newer games, like SWTOR for example, that came after miss out on this and get it so wrong?

I'm not sure if SWTOR should be used as an example of today's graphics...

Check out EVE Online if you want to see detailed character creation. Too bad you can't play with that awesome character you spent hours tweaking every muscle of his body.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

The character creation is a double edged sword. Theres so many options that its possible to make some of the most disgusting characters I have ever seen in a game. I mean really, I run past some of them and throw up a little in my mouth. Tiny legs, squashed heads, massive arms, big beer guts... I dont know why anyone would want to actually look at that avatar while they play.

Originally posted by tom_gore

How did newer games, like SWTOR for example, that came after miss out on this and get it so wrong?

I'm not sure if SWTOR should be used as an example of today's graphics...

Check out EVE Online if you want to see detailed character creation. Too bad you can't play with that awesome character you spent hours tweaking every muscle of his body.

I agree with what you mean about SWTOR here, and that's kind of the point... How does someone make a newer game without learning from the past in term of character design? This is why I say for true MMORPGs Aion still sets the bar.

I would probably use APB as a better example of modern character creation though, and they are even playable ;)

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I would probably use APB as a better example of modern character creation though, and they are even playable ;)

True. Although the awesome character creation doesn't save that game :)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Not a big fan of aion character models at all..

I still think age of conan is the best looking MMORPG out there even Tera pales in comparison.

Saying that I guess we all like different things tho :)

Originally posted by evilastro

The character creation is a double edged sword. Theres so many options that its possible to make some of the most disgusting characters I have ever seen in a game. I mean really, I run past some of them and throw up a little in my mouth. Tiny legs, squashed heads, massive arms, big beer guts... I dont know why anyone would want to actually look at that avatar while they play.

I agree, some of the mutants are hideous, and I am glad that GW2 (though it uses Aion's character engine I believe?) has placed restriction on that. :)

but, player extremities aside, this is really a thread about how aion has captured 'soul' in it's models, something that newer game have totally failed at.

Originally posted by Caldrin

I still think age of conan is the best looking MMORPG out there even Tera pales in comparison.

I like those screenies you posted as well, I like all styles if they are done well and those are :)

This isn't really about a art style preference though, more about the game's ability to allow the player to emotionally connect to their character through 'personality'.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I agree, some of the mutants are hideous, and I am glad that GW2 (though it uses Aion's character engine I believe?) has placed restriction on that. :)

but, player extremities aside, this is really a thread about how aion has captured 'soul' in it's models, something that newer game have totally failed at.

Nah, not really. Both just have a similar style.

And yeah, Aion is one of the MMOs with better character models. But I frankly like AoCs as well even if they in many way are the opposite of Aions.

Cartoonish or not isn´t really the point though, you can see that they are well crafted and the fit the game perfectly. LOTRO could learn a lot from Aion in that aspect.

Originally posted by Loke666

And yeah, Aion is one of the MMOs with better character models. But I frankly like AoCs as well even if they in many way are the opposite of Aions.

Cartoonish or not isn´t really the point though, you can see that they are well crafted and the fit the game perfectly. LOTRO could learn a lot from Aion in that aspect.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Character_creation 

"The Guild Wars 2 character creation system uses Aion's technology as its basis. The available customization is more than in Guild Wars, but not as much as in Aion. This is so that a specific artistic aesthetic is maintained" 

Knew I had read it somewhere:p

I really like AoC's model as well from a detail stand point, that game really is still lovely, but I don't think it captures the 'soul' in the same way as Aion's. Not putting AoC down at all though, like I say I rate it.

I agree about games like LOTR Lok... that game's models actually made me not carry on with it :/

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Loke666

I agree, both AoC and Aion have good character creation, and both fit the game world.

Turbine are really really bad at character creation. While I looooovvvvveeee the gameplay of DDO, the character and monster models just make me sad. And LOTRO is almost identical. They look out of place in the amazing game worlds of those two francises, and they are animated poorly. Its a real shame.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by Caldrin
    /pictures CUT

While I agree that AoC has a good character creator it is kinda limited compared to Aion and APB. What AoC really nails down is the realistic and believable look which goes hand-in-hand with its high fidelity graphics, but even more than that it knows its art direction and follows it. You'll find no GFX infested shoulders in AoC armor design.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Originally posted by tom_gore

True. Although the awesome character creation doesn't save that game :)

lol I know :)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Sadly its the aion style that stops me doing that with aion.. Style has a big impact in weather or not you can releate to a character or not..

but as i said we all like and relate to different things :)

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Aion and Vindictus' character models are my favourite of all MMOs so far. The ones in GW2 also look great from what I saw.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,081

I agree with what you mean about SWTOR here, and that's kind of the point... How does someone make a newer game without learning from the past in term of character design? This is why I say for true MMORPGs Aion still sets the bar.

I would say you have to divorce yourself from "graphics" and look at art design. Plain and simple, there is nothing wrong with SWToR's art design. One might not like it but I I think it does work. I very much like the look of my character within the art design. I dont' like the gear design but both my SWToR characters are more than acceptable.

You want to get picky about avatars? Go to LOTRO. I hate the art design as well as the gera design and can't even connect with any of my avatars in that game.

Now having said that, I really love the art design of Aion. Pretty much, most of the Asian games (higher quality asian games) haver very good character design. One might not like the style but they put a lot of detail into them. From the latest Final Fantasy to Lineage 2 to Tera to Aion, it's clear that the eastern games are very much into the look of their avatars. They might not always excel at face choices or hair choice but they always want them to look good.

I would say that the best Western game is AoC when it comes down to that type of thing.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

dont leave aion on auto if you want best graphic also lower light they tend to put it high!playing it right now and i love it!