Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A confession; I've been playing TOR.

ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Many will probably remember me saying I wasn't going to play TOR, however I have family members and friends internationally who like to aid my crazy addictions and picked it up for me late last year.  I'm sure there are many here that are hoping to read this and see that I've "seen the light" and come to realise that SWG was crap, etc etc.  If you're one of those people then you're probably not going to like this post.

I always knew TOR was never going to be anything like SWG but I figured that this is what MMO's are these days and being a fan of the MMO genre I might as well at least play one that is somewhat sci-fi.  So for the last three months I've trying to become attached to TOR like I was with SWG.

That attempt has failed.  As much as I've tried, TOR is too linear and simplistic for me.  I don't feel like I'm playing an MMO, I feel like I'm playing a single player game for the most part - there's little in the way of a community and there's nothing there to really entice a community atmosphere.

My main complaints:

• The lack of a community feel.  For the most part, I feel like I'm playing a single player game.  For the grind from 1-50 I pretty much feel like I'm all on my own and there's little reason to involve anyone else.  I know this is something SWG tried to do as well with the legacy quests but there were alternatives.  Being in a guild seems to be for title only as you don't seem to really need to rely on your guild for much. 

• Meaningless PvP, which kind of links with the above point.  I don't see much in the way of PvP outside of the instanced areas.  I'm on a PvP server but the only places I encounter PvP is when I queue for a Warzone or if I were to go to Ilum.  I miss the PvP based on pride in SWG which actually gave it a war like feel - I felt like I had an enemy to fight.  There's no "X guild is SF in Y city and they're holding the SP...let's gather up and kill them!"  I really want something like that again.  Fighting purely for trinkets gets boring.

• The UI. Holy crap, the UI.  I can't move any of the UI windows to where I want them, I can't resize them and I can't have more than two open at once.  On top of that, the behaviour of one UI window changes if you happen to have another specific UI window open.  It's also too in your face and chunky.

• Movement controls.  This is potentially just because I'm overly familliar with the way SWG did things, but I really do miss the ability to lock the cursor and simply use the mouse to control the direction my character moves.  Instead, to do this with the mouse I have to hold down two mouse buttons, or through using the keyboard I have to use one key to move and another to control direction.  There's also no means of remapping which two mouse buttons control movement.

• A lacking of non-combat activities.  The crafting in TOR is simply, boring.  There's nothing to it and there's really no reason for me to do it.  If people needed/wanted my crafted goods then that would make the boredom worth it but nope, everything comes from loot. 

There's all the little things that SWG just had that you get used to and miss, like housing, the travel system and towards the end, the GCW systems.  I suppose three months on I'll admit, I'm missing SWG.  Not obessively so, but I just look at the MMO's out there today and can't really find anything that would keep me interested.  Everything is trying to be like WoW.  Maybe SWG was just "the perfect storm" and in general, MMO's just aren't my thing.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in Team Fortress 2...

Comments

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Obraik

Many will probably remember me saying I wasn't going to play TOR, however I have family members and friends internationally who like to aid my crazy addictions and picked it up for me late last year.  I'm sure there are many here that are hoping to read this and see that I've "seen the light" and come to realise that SWG was crap, etc etc.  If you're one of those people then you're probably not going to like this post.

I always knew TOR was never going to be anything like SWG but I figured that this is what MMO's are these days and being a fan of the MMO genre I might as well at least play one that is somewhat sci-fi.  So for the last three months I've trying to become attached to TOR like I was with SWG.

That attempt has failed.  As much as I've tried, TOR is too linear and simplistic for me.  I don't feel like I'm playing an MMO, I feel like I'm playing a single player game for the most part - there's little in the way of a community and there's nothing there to really entice a community atmosphere.

My main complaints:

• The lack of a community feel.  For the most part, I feel like I'm playing a single player game.  For the grind from 1-50 I pretty much feel like I'm all on my own and there's little reason to involve anyone else.  I know this is something SWG tried to do as well with the legacy quests but there were alternatives.  Being in a guild seems to be for title only as you don't seem to really need to rely on your guild for much. 

• Meaningless PvP, which kind of links with the above point.  I don't see much in the way of PvP outside of the instanced areas.  I'm on a PvP server but the only places I encounter PvP is when I queue for a Warzone or if I were to go to Ilum.  I miss the PvP based on pride in SWG which actually gave it a war like feel - I felt like I had an enemy to fight.  There's no "X guild is SF in Y city and they're holding the SP...let's gather up and kill them!"  I really want something like that again.  Fighting purely for trinkets gets boring.

• The UI. Holy crap, the UI.  I can't move any of the UI windows to where I want them, I can't resize them and I can't have more than two open at once.  On top of that, the behaviour of one UI window changes if you happen to have another specific UI window open.  It's also too in your face and chunky.

• Movement controls.  This is potentially just because I'm overly familliar with the way SWG did things, but I really do miss the ability to lock the cursor and simply use the mouse to control the direction my character moves.  Instead, to do this with the mouse I have to hold down two mouse buttons, or through using the keyboard I have to use one key to move and another to control direction.  There's also no means of remapping which two mouse buttons control movement.

• A lacking of non-combat activities.  The crafting in TOR is simply, boring.  There's nothing to it and there's really no reason for me to do it.  If people needed/wanted my crafted goods then that would make the boredom worth it but nope, everything comes from loot. 

There's all the little things that SWG just had that you get used to and miss, like housing, the travel system and towards the end, the GCW systems.  I suppose three months on I'll admit, I'm missing SWG.  Not obessively so, but I just look at the MMO's out there today and can't really find anything that would keep me interested.  Everything is trying to be like WoW.  Maybe SWG was just "the perfect storm" and in general, MMO's just aren't my thing.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in Team Fortress 2...

I agree on all counts.

I wasn't expecting SWG 2 either. All i expected was a good SW MMO.

Instead, I got a decent SW game. Which in itself isn't bad, but a good game =/= a good MMO.

It might be worth going back to when it's F2P ( there's no if, this game WILL be F2P within the next year ), but as a full on P2P "MMO", it just doesn't fit the bill.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

My main complaints:

funny how i think of the NGE you so vigoursly defended when i read through all your points.

NGE was solo all the way to lvl 90. Including the long, dull and boring Legacy quest.

What was "meaningful" in the NGE PVP? Clubfighting? Destroying bases and killing the opposite faction  to accumulate an extra 20 buffs to add to the 80 already available beforehand? Oh thats right! the armor. That factional armor that no one used because Mando and RIS or whatever crafted layer armor was superior?

Dont even get me started on the NGE UI. YES, the one you had to configure for 2 hours to get it anywhere near to a functional level and THAT option was put in place what 2 years after the NGE hit?

lack of non-combat activities? LOL every single crafter but armorsmith was made reduntant in the NGE. Tailor became USELESS, so did shipwright, the cooks to an extent and everyone else. I am not even going to go into entertainers you know what i am talking about. 

SWTOR is exactly what you so vehemtly defended for the past 8 years. 

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Troneas

My main complaints:

funny how i think of the NGE you so vigoursly defended when i read through all your points.

NGE was solo all the way to lvl 90. Including the long, dull and boring Legacy quest.

What was "meaningful" in the NGE PVP? Clubfighting? Destroying bases and killing the opposite faction  to accumulate an extra 20 buffs to add to the 80 already available beforehand? Oh thats right! the armor. That factional armor that no one used because Mando and RIS or whatever crafted layer armor was superior?

Dont even get me started on the NGE UI. YES, the one you had to configure for 2 hours to get it anywhere near to a functional level and THAT option was put in place what 2 years after the NGE hit?

lack of non-combat activities? LOL every single crafter but armorsmith was made reduntant in the NGE. Tailor became USELESS, so did shipwright, the cooks to an extent and everyone else. I am not even going to go into entertainers you know what i am talking about. 

Yea the gcw, what a joke. Hey buddy buy some bases and tell us when they are ready to attack.  Yea all the club fighting, and fake base busting that went on in the name of pvp.  I can remember having the FRS force ranking system, and how soe shut that off because of the same type of kill trading that was going on to rank up. Only to allow it all to often for the gcw.

So swtor is not  the NGE and I am glad of it, I laugh at all the folks going there is no community. When I read that I see somebody who has not tried to get a guild, or find out all the raid options out there to run that require you to have groups with really good communication.

The only problem I really have with it is no in game voice coms, we have to use ventrilo.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

SWTOR is just like the NGE, with the Legacy quest series enhanced, 8 iconic professions, an expertise type system but has abilkities pretty much the same for all classes, whereas in NGE the abilities were unique to each profession, open world similiar to Kash / Mustafar, minus everything else, therefore SWTOR is a dumbed down version of the NGE, so in the end is not like NGE but in a even worse way.

As well as using the legacy quests, one other way I used to level up was just explore the planets and battle the creatures and NPCs, around my levl. This is not doable in SWTOR

LOTRO is the best example for a non-SWG WOW type clone. SWTOR currently fails to deliver

I hope in 1.2 when get to create new species, that one will be a wookiee, ewok or gungan. If not heopefully these will be added later, as they said more are planned in the future outside the legacy system.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

I have the same opinion as the OP, I gave up after 2 months.

I'm glad I tried it, but to get my Star Wars MMO-fix I rather played SWG, regardless of NGE or not. At least SWG was a MMO and my character actually had a chance to stand out from everyone else.

I guess I will give Vanguard another try.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Too bad SWG is no longer around, it would be so fun to see SWG having more subs. than SW:TOR, one year down the road. Because lets face it, this game IS a single player game and once you finished it, you aren't going to replay it. Unless it is really, really good, which SW:TOR is sadly not.

• saaysaay Member Posts: 455

The Repopulation, my friend. Also, a certain unmentionable ressurection.

Those are the only hopes.

Triple A MMOs are simply simplistic cookie-cutter themeparks these days. Sad, but true. 

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by Sandbox

I guess I will give Vanguard another try.

lolvanguard. That game sucks.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Troneas

My main complaints:

This is where you don't really know what you're talking about.  You haven't really read what I wrote at all but I'm not gonna argue with you point by point because it's a pointless argument.  At the end of the day we're both losers - neither of the versions of SWG that we enjoyed exist today.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

I'm sure there are many here that are hoping to read this and see that I've "seen the light" and come to realise that SWG was crap, etc etc.  If you're one of those people then you're probably not going to like this post.

That attempt has failed.  As much as I've tried, TOR is too linear and simplistic for me.

People like beets...I don't get that either, but it's really of zero concern to me.

[Mod Edit]

And you call SWTOR simplistic, while playing TF2?! Huh.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by TUX426

I'm sure there are many here that are hoping to read this and see that I've "seen the light" and come to realise that SWG was crap, etc etc.  If you're one of those people then you're probably not going to like this post.

That attempt has failed.  As much as I've tried, TOR is too linear and simplistic for me.

People like beets...I don't get that either, but it's really of zero concern to me.

You state that nobody cares, Tux426... and yet you posted a reply to Obraik.

p.s: Obraik your points covered the bases well enough why TOR is a failure, I agree with the points.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

As soon as the op started talking about the grind I knew he just did not understand why bioware was making a game such as this.  This is a game to be savored, this is not a rush to the end game. With story, cut scenes and great voice overs bioware wants the journey to be important.  All those who do not want to go on the journey are going to be unhappy and for the rest of us - Let the Journey begin

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Its pretty amazing if you think about it, BW/EA took everything from single player games and mmorpg's that we hate and put it under one very restricted roof and wants you to pay $15 a month for a single-player-mmorpg<(oxymoron). You guys are just jealous because you didnt think of it. I bet the people at A-net and Bliz are kicking themselves.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Comparing TOR to SWG NGE is not really a close comparison. Comparing TOR to SWG pre-cu is not even on the same planet. If Bioware would have made TOR in the same vein as SWG pre-cu with VO and cutscenes for your personal story only it would have been the best thing since slice bread. As it stands now, the game is really a single player game with multiplayer tacked on. Nothing about TOR gives the impression of a living and breathing galaxy. It's nothing more than a hub to hub kill, kill, kill game, not a real mmorpg.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

That is a weak comment. TF2 is 1) Free to play and 2) NOT a MMORPG

SWTOR is very simplistic for a P2P MMORPG

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

Originally posted by superniceguy

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

My reply to Obriak was sincere. I don't know anyone who cares if he liked SWG or was holding out hope that he'd come to his senses and somehow dislike it. Honestly, NOBODY CARES if he enjoyed it. I knew people myself who enjoyed SWG up until Dec 15th - there was a lot to like with SWG for some players...not so much for others. As I said, some people like beets...I'll NEVER understand that...but it doesn't mean I hope someday they come to their senses and hate beets.

And calling SWTOR "simplistic", while playing TF2 (implying it has more depth), is stupid. To compare a game with the stories, crafting, flashpoints, gear, missions, factions, OPS, characters, planets, PvE, PvP, companions etc that SWTOR has to TF2 is just silly.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by saay

Also, a certain unmentionable ressurection.

Triple A MMOs are simply simplistic cookie-cutter themeparks these days. Sad, but true. 

I'm grinding out Carbineer today on that unmentionable item.

I need training in 1xxx Carbineer in fact........Hipiap Flyingdust

And Free Doc Buffs would be nice or 100k credits.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

I think most distractors are upset with the fact SWToR is lacking in depth after reaching max lvl.  In my opinion copying WoW in this respect is lacking as many just aren't into the raiding/high end dungeon/Battle Ground scence.  In my opinion you can have those but include PvP as RvR with actual territory to be gained (reasoned PvP other than gear).  Breathing player made towns really help in this respect and give those that want to display trophey's or other collectables something to strife for.Those of us that like the open game play of SWG, Uncharted Waters, EvE or Vanguard just have to face the facts we are in the minority.  I think 200k worth of players is all any of those games seem to attract.

On the other hand most games today seem to be more restrictive on material to the point you have to follow the linear story whether you want to or not.  In the case of SWToR I do like their story and am having a good time doing them.  It is the first MMo to actually make me feel like I'm the hero and actually making a difference in the world.  Sure everyone else is doing the same story but I don't see that so doesn't really effect me.  I also love the campion system they made and hope more follow suit.  The sad part for me is after I do all the stories I can't see why I'll stay subscribed and thats the sad fact.  :(

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by punchrx

Its pretty amazing if you think about it, BW/EA took everything from single player games and mmorpg's that we hate and put it under one very restricted roof and wants you to pay $15 a month for a single-player-mmorpg<(oxymoron). You guys are just jealous because you didnt think of it. I bet the people at A-net and Bliz are kicking themselves.

Thats what amuses me the most.

And the Koolaid Youtube fanbois  that 'voted' TOR GOY 2011 after it was only Live 1 day?

I forsee this that game F2P within 12 months...and have some sort of Pay to get stuff store within 3 months of F2P status.

WoW is more fun than TOR and I HATE WoW.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Originally posted by Yamota

Too bad SWG is no longer around, it would be so fun to see SWG having more subs. than SW:TOR, one year down the road. Because lets face it, this game IS a single player game and once you finished it, you aren't going to replay it. Unless it is really, really good, which SW:TOR is sadly not.

Thats probably why they killed it, EVE and EQII are catching some people, if they didnt kill SWG it probably would have picked up 30k or more by the end of this year.   After level 20 I just didnt feel like loggin into TOR.    Pretty flat game, they made the same mistake SWG did; releasing without all the elements.    

Ironic but I see them walking down the same  path, in a year theyll have a working space game.   Two years player housing and maybe a open world map.   Who knows maybe a CU and a NGE, since pvp pretty much sucks on TOR.    I predict 500k players next year then 200k in couple years.     

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

if they didnt kill SWG it probably would have picked up 30k or more by the end of this year.  

This one thing is what always gets me.

Oh I'm not here to debate TOR versus SWG.

What I mean is... if they had left SWG as it was and concentrated on fixing it.   Which yes means no CU as we knew it and certainly no NGE.

You would have had two vastly different Star Wars MMO's on the market.   They would have likely appealed to totally different player bases and maybe even had some cross subscribers to check out the other game.

Lucas Arts would have been rolling in license fees from both games... and likely both games would have been making profit for their perspective developers.

To me that would have just been doing business in an intellegent manner... it certainly would have been good money for Lucas Arts....

Originally posted by eddieg50

As soon as the op started talking about the grind I knew he just did not understand why bioware was making a game such as this.  This is a game to be savored, this is not a rush to the end game. With story, cut scenes and great voice overs bioware wants the journey to be important.  All those who do not want to go on the journey are going to be unhappy and for the rest of us - Let the Journey begin

Which implies it's not a game to stick with.  Personally, I think an MMO should stack the content at the end game rather than trickling it out through the low to midlevels - there's no reason the journey has to be associated with the tedium of getting to max level.  The main purpose of leveling in an MMO should be to learn how the game works and the various features that can be found in the game rather than drip feeding content.  I'm not a big fan of voice acting and generally find it to be more cheese than entertainment.

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

Originally posted by superniceguy

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

My reply to Obriak was sincere. I don't know anyone who cares if he liked SWG or was holding out hope that he'd come to his senses and somehow dislike it. Honestly, NOBODY CARES if he enjoyed it. I knew people myself who enjoyed SWG up until Dec 15th - there was a lot to like with SWG for some players...not so much for others. As I said, some people like beets...I'll NEVER understand that...but it doesn't mean I hope someday they come to their senses and hate beets.

And calling SWTOR "simplistic", while playing TF2 (implying it has more depth), is stupid. To compare a game with the stories, crafting, flashpoints, gear, missions, factions, OPS, characters, planets, PvE, PvP, companions etc that SWTOR has to TF2 is just silly.

Apparently you do care since you clicked to read the thread ;)

I never implied TF2 has more depth, nor is it a game I expect depth from.  My expectations of an FPS and an MMO are very different.  In a FPS like TF2 I just want easy access, simple fun and in TF2's case, a touch of humour.  In an MMO I want something that challenges me, gives me both short and long term "goals" and all the other stuff I've already listed in this thread.  TF2 meets the expecations I have for a game of it's genre; TOR does not.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by eddieg50

Which implies it's not a game to stick with.  Personally, I think an MMO should stack the content at the end game rather than trickling it out through the low to midlevels - there's no reason the journey has to be associated with the tedium of getting to max level.  The main purpose of leveling in an MMO should be to learn how the game works and the various features that can be found in the game rather than drip feeding content.  I'm not a big fan of voice acting and generally find it to be more cheese than entertainment.

So it should be boring to max level and then gear grind/pvp over and over. They have games like that already. Lots of them. I don't play TOR, but respect the fact they tried to make levelling more entertaining. If they hadn't made so many other mistakes with the development, they would be doing much better.

And all those saying how TOR should've been made like SWG, aren't remembering it the same as I did. Started off (at launch) making a Rhodian Smuggler, thinking how cool, until i learned there was no smuggling. ?. So i ran around shooting things for no reason, resource gathering/farming, making food, etc. Got bored real quick and moved on. I assume it got better later. Seems a mmorpg with a story based IP needs some type of story/conflict to provide some need for your character to be there. Maybe a thempark/sandox hybrid type, but these 2 games have tried both seperate and both seems lacking.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by Yamota

It still amazes me how people will try and claim that a game that was closed down due to too low of a subscriber count will say that it was insanely popular and super awesome.  If SWG had a great subscriber count LucasArts would have continued to sell the license to Sony.  But it was not.

IF SWG and SWTOR were both competing in a market SWTOR would kic kthe ass of SWG.  It's like saying Everquest can beat Everquest 2, or Ultima Online can beat Lineage.  It's wishful thinking at best.  People will always choose the superior game.

Consider that on launch SWTOR has had 4x as many sales as SWG.  In ten years time you will either see SWTOR a ghosttown like SWG or you will see it as a mid-level MMO still running (on its eighth expansion).