Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good place to monitor the direction of SOE & Vanguard?

wfsaxtonwfsaxton Member UncommonPosts: 73

It seems like Vanguard is everything I'm looking for...except the server population.

Is there any site where we can monitor Vanguard development progress?  I'll I've seen so far is that SOE has "double" the size of the support team.  Who even knows what this means...

Comments

  • gigaxrgigaxr Member UncommonPosts: 613

    I really hope SOE does start supporting this game a little more. As far as "doubling the size of the development team," it could mean anything. Maybe they doubled the team from 1 employee to 2!

     

    As far as monitoring development, they have this "In The Works" page: http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/inTheWorks.vm

    ...which hasn't been updated since 2009.

     

    The only thing I can think of is to periodically check the news section on their web site, and check the forums.

    Website: http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/index.vm

    Forums: http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/forums/list.m

     

     

    I wish SOE would invest more resources into this game. Guess only time will tell.

  • ZuuzZuuz Member Posts: 44

    According to some people on the forums the doubling meant that there are now at the least 10 people working on vanguard - they could name 5 developers who worked there by name

  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680

    Pretty sure the game got a new lead producer also this is most likely preparing the game for f2p with a sizeable content update.  You can log on the test server for the game and check out the content not yet on live.

  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

    There  does seem to be activity regarding an increase in Devs,but as usual SOE can not seem to use any form of 21st century tech to let the populace know what the heck is going on,so this is prob the best thread if u crave info.

    http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?start=45&topic_id=56588

    p>
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,945

    Originally posted by darker70

    There  does seem to be activity regarding an increase in Devs,but as usual SOE can not seem to use any form of 21st century tech to let the populace know what the heck is going on,so this is prob the best thread if u crave info.

    http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?start=45&topic_id=56588

    We do not have an official announcement yet. It is being worked on. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the news.

     

    well, as a point of note, it usuall takes a lot to make me "pleasantly surprised". So the onus is on them now!

  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

    Originally posted by wfsaxton

    It seems like Vanguard is everything I'm looking for...except the server population.

    Is there any site where we can monitor Vanguard development progress?  I'll I've seen so far is that SOE has "double" the size of the support team.  Who even knows what this means...

    Double is a funny term considering that prior to that it had none. What's the double of "none" ?

  • MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

    The only place you can get any info regarding VG development is by following Smed's tweets.  And don't hold your breath because he isn't saying much.  But most people are guessing that they are turning Vanguard into F2P.

     

    They've turned EQ2 & DCUO into F2P recently, both were successful implementations and they saw great revenue increase.  They are turning EQ1 into F2P next month.  Vanguard being the smallest game out there will likely see F2P last.  The only thing I'm unsure of is how they're going to do it, because Vanguard at the moment does not have a cash shop.  F2P model works only if they had cash shops.  So chances are, SOE is turning Vanguard into F2P, while at the same time developing cash shops to start selling people items.

     

    Again don't hold your breath, because Vanguard has gone forever without any new patches, updates, or anything really.

    EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

  • BaiameBaiame Member UncommonPosts: 143

    Originally posted by Mardy

    The only place you can get any info regarding VG development is by following Smed's tweets.  And don't hold your breath because he isn't saying much.  But most people are guessing that they are turning Vanguard into F2P.

     

    They've turned EQ2 & DCUO into F2P recently, both were successful implementations and they saw great revenue increase.  They are turning EQ1 into F2P next month.  Vanguard being the smallest game out there will likely see F2P last.  The only thing I'm unsure of is how they're going to do it, because Vanguard at the moment does not have a cash shop.  F2P model works only if they had cash shops.  So chances are, SOE is turning Vanguard into F2P, while at the same time developing cash shops to start selling people items.

     

    Again don't hold your breath, because Vanguard has gone forever without any new patches, updates, or anything really.

    I agree with Mardy.  Following Smedley on Twitter will give you a bit of info (though, not much lately).  He hasn't mentioned VG going F2P...in fact, I haven't found an official announcment yet.  I've also heard rumors that VG is on the market as SOE is looking to revamp.  The F2P info may have come from the PSS1 deal SOE is working on which does not include VG or Pirates of the Burning Sea (EQ1 as well, I believe). 

    On the other hand, see http://mmofallout.com/tag/sony-online-entertainment/ for a story about VG F2P info being leaked.  I wouldn't count on this though as there doesn't seem much reason to keep all of us in the dark about VG and PSS1 at this point.   

  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

    Originally posted by Mardy

     

    Again don't hold your breath, because Vanguard has gone forever without any new patches, updates, or anything really.

    There is a new raid on the PTR...something tells me its been put on hold until the f2p is sorted out, but its there and was actively being developed.

  • pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

    Thanks for this post, wfsaxton. I'm in the same boat and really hoping this game has some kind of freemium/cash shop change to bring in the population. As far as what they'd put there, it seems like most are looking at EQ2's cash shop as an indicator.

     

    Personally, from the tales I've heard of how monstrously large the world is versus how quick it is to level I'd say if they slowed down the leveling speed quite a bit overall and sold XP pots it would improve the game for players that like to take their time leveling as well as provide motivation for those players in a rush to get to endgame to pay in the cash shop. I have no doubt they'd sell unique mounts- the sparkle pony from WoW shows how little effort it can take to generate a large profit.

  • pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

    Originally posted by Baiame

    I agree with Mardy.  Following Smedley on Twitter will give you a bit of info (though, not much lately).  He hasn't mentioned VG going F2P...in fact, I haven't found an official announcment yet.  I've also heard rumors that VG is on the market as SOE is looking to revamp.  The F2P info may have come from the PSS1 deal SOE is working on which does not include VG or Pirates of the Burning Sea (EQ1 as well, I believe). 

    On the other hand, see http://mmofallout.com/tag/sony-online-entertainment/ for a story about VG F2P info being leaked.  I wouldn't count on this though as there doesn't seem much reason to keep all of us in the dark about VG and PSS1 at this point.   

    Regarding the highlighted, if this were the case I think it could be a wonderful thing for the game.

  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

    Originally posted by Starpower

    Originally posted by wfsaxton

    It seems like Vanguard is everything I'm looking for...except the server population.

    Is there any site where we can monitor Vanguard development progress?  I'll I've seen so far is that SOE has "double" the size of the support team.  Who even knows what this means...

    Double is a funny term considering that prior to that it had none. What's the double of "none" ?

    0 x 2 = 0

  • KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

    Originally posted by Starpower

    Double is a funny term considering that prior to that it had none. What's the double of "none" ?

     

    Two times nothing is.. let me do the math here - nothing into nothing, carry the nothing -- still nothing.

  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

    Originally posted by gigat

    As far as monitoring development, they have this "In The Works" page: http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/inTheWorks.vm

    ...which hasn't been updated since 2009.



    this was announced on the forums 4 months ago,  Nov 17th, 2011

     

    Vanguard Content Update

    http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=56410


    Greetings adventurers!


     


    As many of you know the Vanguard Development team has been working hard on delivering you new content to Vanguard! We are currently getting close to migrating this update over to the test server so that those interested in checking it out early, as well as, aiding in the testing and balance process can do so!


     


    So what is in the first upcoming update….


     


    · Overland Raid bosses


    · New Dungeon – City of Brass


    o Massive progressive dungeon with thirteen bosses and new rewards for players that can survive long enough to obtain them


    · Removal of Corpse recovery


    o This will aid in making the leveling process more enjoyable as well as remove the frustration that can be encountered from suffering a death penalty


    · Experience curve decreased


    o Experience has been modified to make leveling a new character a bit easier


    · Increase in loot drop rates


    · “Golden Path”


    o Riftways instructing players to ideal leveling areas with new rewards for all levels


     


    We look forward to everyone getting an opportunity to check out all that this update has to offer and seeing you in Telon soon!


     


     


    -Gidoo

  • Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

    Originally posted by Nadia

    Originally posted by gigat

    As far as monitoring development, they have this "In The Works" page: http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/inTheWorks.vm

    ...which hasn't been updated since 2009.



    this was announced on the forums 4 months ago,  Nov 17th, 2011

     

    Vanguard Content Update

    http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=56410


    Greetings adventurers!


     


    As many of you know the Vanguard Development team has been working hard on delivering you new content to Vanguard! We are currently getting close to migrating this update over to the test server so that those interested in checking it out early, as well as, aiding in the testing and balance process can do so!


     


    So what is in the first upcoming update….


     


    · Overland Raid bosses


    · New Dungeon – City of Brass


    o Massive progressive dungeon with thirteen bosses and new rewards for players that can survive long enough to obtain them


    · Removal of Corpse recovery


    o This will aid in making the leveling process more enjoyable as well as remove the frustration that can be encountered from suffering a death penalty


    · Experience curve decreased


    o Experience has been modified to make leveling a new character a bit easier


    · Increase in loot drop rates


    · “Golden Path”


    o Riftways instructing players to ideal leveling areas with new rewards for all levels


     


    We look forward to everyone getting an opportunity to check out all that this update has to offer and seeing you in Telon soon!


     


     


    -Gidoo

     Look at the last post of that thread, a picture is worth a thousand words image

    Just not worth my time anymore.

  • GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

    So I didn't read anywhere about the death penalty disappearing entirely, just the corpse retrieval part.  Will the exp. gained stil be decreased as a penalty? 

Sign In or Register to comment.