Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Crappy Review: SWTOR

Comments

• Meerkat93Meerkat93 Member Posts: 61

Originally posted by Aerowyn

it doesn't take 300 hours to level one char to 50 and do every operation/flaspoint and do some warzones on top of doing every single quest including side quests and throw in some crafting here and there.. 600 hours not even close, and that wouldn't even be unique since other faction plays same warzones and does same crafting and shares a couple later flashpoints/operations...

It takes any where from 125-200 hours to level up in TOR. Because their are eight classes in the game and roughly 20% of that content is unique to said class thats anywhere from 50ish-200 hours of unique class content. Add that to the 100% uniqueness of leveling up once in the Empire and Republic.

This also being a bioware game playing both good and evil should mix things up.

As I said before in terms of simply leveling up this game offer a good deal. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by Meerkat93

Originally posted by Aerowyn

it doesn't take 300 hours to level one char to 50 and do every operation/flaspoint and do some warzones on top of doing every single quest including side quests and throw in some crafting here and there.. 600 hours not even close, and that wouldn't even be unique since other faction plays same warzones and does same crafting and shares a couple later flashpoints/operations...

It takes any where from 125-200 hours to level up in TOR. Because their are eight classes in the game and roughly 20% of that content is unique to said class thats anywhere from 50ish-200 hours of unique class content. Add that to the 100% uniqueness of leveling up once in the Empire and Republic.

This also being a bioware game playing both good and evil should mix things up.

As I said before in terms of simply leveling up this game offer a good deal. 

I'm not saying TOR doesn't have a fine amount of actual content though.. For a just released MMO i think it's just fine. My concern is the actual quality of the content and purpose of endgame content.. also you could easily hit 50 in less than 100 hours /played

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Coltaine00Coltaine00 Member Posts: 52

Forgot crafting...

Damn it.

Don't worry, SWTOR forgot it too...

Originally posted by Coltaine00

Forgot crafting...

Damn it.

Actually as far as Themepark MMOs, TOR has some of the best crafting. 1.2 should make it even better with augment crits with orange gear.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Nive review but you really should have talked about the endgame as well. It is one of the most important things for many players. I can´t say I completely agree with you and in my book it is not a must, but it can keep you occupied for a few months or so.

Ill get too that as soon as I am able to post blogs.

• Coltaine00Coltaine00 Member Posts: 52

Forgot crafting...

Damn it.

Actually as far as Themepark MMOs, TOR has some of the best crafting. 1.2 should make it even better with augment crits with orange gear.

Mind explaining?

I maxed my artiface @ 400 and haven't used it once for gear.  I'll grant you that certain crafting skills may be useful for helping your lowbie chars level (getting the purple items), but considering you can get perfectly fine stuff from warzones at low levels or even through your quest lines, crafting is pretty redundant.

With the way the companion set up works it is very difficult to die anyways - on my sorcerer I managed to die a total of 4 times till level 50, most of which were at the final boses for my quest line - I'm not saying that to brag, but the game is ridiculously easy - you really don't need the crafted gear.  It really just makes you slightly more invulnerable than you already are.

And crafting sucks at end game.

Forgot crafting...

Damn it.

Mind explaining?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I generally assume people exagerate when saying things like, "It only took me X amount of time to do Y." Or in your case, " I only died X times.". To the difficulty of the games itself it fell right where any other MMO was in terms of difficulty, I personally found it a bit more difficult then WoW or EQII.

Explaining the 1.2 patch with crafting.

You're going to be able to remove mods from purple items in raids, with this a long side augment crafting crits Crafters will be able to (IIRC) create gear that is slightly better then raid gear.

• KholeKhole Member CommonPosts: 136

Forgot crafting...

Damn it.

Mind explaining?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I generally assume people exagerate when saying things like, "It only took me X amount of time to do Y." Or in your case, " I only died X times.". To the difficulty of the games itself it fell right where any other MMO was in terms of difficulty, I personally found it a bit more difficult then WoW or EQII.

Explaining the 1.2 patch with crafting.

You're going to be able to remove mods from purple items in raids, with this a long side augment crafting crits Crafters will be able to (IIRC) create gear that is slightly better then raid gear.

How does that make crafting interesting?

All you just said is that you get more gear with it. More gear doesn't make crafting any less boring than it already is.

That has nothing to do with how the crafting system works.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Jason2444

I think when compared to every non-sandbox MMO TOR has the most content.

HAHA no

Just because one continues to sub and play game X does not mean it has more content then game Y.

TOR has two completetly unique leveling processes in both the empire and the republic. Combine the fact that 20% of individual class content is unique, and you have about 600 hours of 100% unique leveling content.

That does not include crafting or anything.

You see I don't find it "unique."  You are leveling in a different faction, but you are still basically doing the same thing.  Most of the class quests are the same thing, with just a little bit different dialogue to set it up.

And then there is the fact that once you get outside the story quests, it is nothing but the same quests.

Your original review was a bit better.  This post was a swing and a miss.  ;)

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

The previous foray into crafting was "you can be anything you want, as long as its biochem."

While they are doing a lot of different changes, I want to wait and see the changes actually work.  The reason "nothing is better than biochem" isn't that they make the best stuff neccessarily.

It is the only profession where the things you can make far outrank the kind of stims you can get as quest rewards/loot drops.  It is the only profession with real utility.

As long as you have this style, crafting can never truly be interesting, because there will be no payoff for it. 

The three best crafting games in my opinion were old school SWG, POTBS, and EVE.  All had complexity and interdependance.  You needed this part to make this part.  You needed other people to provide you with goods to make this or that.  Finally, due to the open markets they had, crafting literally became its own content.

The econ moguls in these types of games, the majority of the time, they spent crafting and cornering markets.  When I was a full fledged econ mogul in SWG, my mining business had 20 people working for it, 5 active surveyors,  and 3 people who had rotations of heading to a planet and clearing out hoppers throughout the week.

In POTBS (which was more themeparkish with RVR), Ulot's House of Textiles existed on two servers, managed 150 structures per server, and every structure was always at max productivity, fulfilling the 5 open-ended contracts a week, as well as anyone else needing bulk goods.  Got so rich, I even opened the Bank of Ulot, financing the war effort of over 50 players during the 2 years I played that game.  (They would take out a loan to get their SOL's, and that also included buying my manufactured products, so I made money off the merchandise, and the interest.)

Now I'm not pointing these out to show what an econ whore I can be.  None of these things are possible in TOR.  Even if they were, they would be pointless.  The crafting system might be fun for casual, solo friendly players, but it most certainly is not a very deep system, and nowhere near the "best" out there today.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

This is a pretty detailed and solid review. Whatever you do, don't get discouraged by some of the posts you get or will receive on these forums. It isn't representative of the general population of MMO players. 

There Is Always Hope!

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

I like the game and still play it, what you wrote is pretty much the nail on the head. Most people I found leaving where WoW players (nothing against the WoW crowed) but when I asked (about 7 close friends) each said, they couldn't really pin point it, when we finally nailed it all down it was, "feels like WoW to much, the story is nice and all , but all the work I did in WoW and im doing it again feeling" they went back to WoW.

I hold nothing against them, play what is fun to you I say, but my guild of 30+ atm is having fun so many like it, many don't. I think it will even out later. Planetside 2 will be the only game to pull me away from it and our clan is doing so, but still staying in starwars. There is interest in our guild for guild wars 2, but many as myself are still very iffy on it. Only time will tell.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Final Verdict:

A solid game with a huge amount of potential for feature growth, and if Bioware shows that they can capitalize on that potential then we could be looking at one of the best MMOs ever made. Time will tell if Bioware can do that but for now it’s a solid game worth picking up just for the story.

Well written and if you are deciding to blog this, do it.

I only want to make a few points from my perspective.

1. Many people think that the modified Hero Engine limits "huge amount of potential growth".

2. Some of that potential includes features missing that should have already been in a 2011/2012 MMO.

3. With it's budget, development team, and IP; SWTOR should already be the best MMO ever made.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by NorseGod
    With it's budget, development team, and IP; SWTOR should already be the best MMO ever made.

Ask ten people what the best mmo ever made is. You will likely get ten different answers.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

Originally posted by DannyGlover

With it's budget, development team, and IP; SWTOR should already be the best MMO ever made.

Ask ten people what the best mmo ever made is. You will likely get ten different answers.

You make a really good point.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

-Rent it

Wait, what?  You can rent subscription games without having to buy a box?

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

A fair review.

Although the storylines are great, that's really the only thing that shines for me with SWTOR. The world is too small and linear, there's not enough character ability/appearance customization options, and the game is just too easy for me to have any kind of long term vested interest.

I give SWTOR a solid 6/10.

Joined - July 2004

Originally posted by remyburke

A fair review.

Although the storylines are great, that's really the only thing that shines for me with SWTOR. The world is too small and linear, there's not enough character ability/appearance customization options, and the game is just too easy for me to have any kind of long term vested interest.

Dude, your avatar. Is that Jake from that one game from back in the day?

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by remyburke

A fair review.

Dude, your avatar. Is that Jake from that one game from back in the day?

Hahaha...I'm not even sure anymore. I stole it off a comic on this site about 7 years ago because a few of my friends said it looked like me and I've never taken it off. :)

Joined - July 2004

Final Verdict:

A solid game with a huge amount of potential for feature growth, and if Bioware shows that they can capitalize on that potential then we could be looking at one of the best MMOs ever made. Time will tell if Bioware can do that but for now it’s a solid game worth picking up just for the story.

1. Many people think that the modified Hero Engine limits "huge amount of potential growth".

2. Some of that potential includes features missing that should have already been in a 2011/2012 MMO.

3. With it's budget, development team, and IP; SWTOR should already be the best MMO ever made.

I got a good laugh out of your last point. Not sure where your reasoning comes from though.

The games ok if you like your hand being held every step of the way. 

Originally posted by Khole

Final Verdict:

I got a good laugh out of your last point. Not sure where your reasoning comes from though.

The games ok if you like your hand being held every step of the way. 

I didn't exactly mean that in favor of SWTOR, more like diappointment.

Sarcasm can be tricky to convey...There are some fanbois who think that very thought is in fact reality.

Glad you are not one those.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

It took me around 36hrs to get to 30 in beta and I wasn't skipping dialogue. What have they changed since oct 2011 to lengthen leveling?

When I hit 30 I had the impression that getting to 50 would take another 25hrs at the most since there had been others who got to 50 before I got to 30.

Actually to break it down, on my second beta weekend it went like this;

1-15 = 2-3hrs

15-20 = 5hrs

20-25 = 5hrs

25 - 30 = 10hrs

Keep in mind the server's were packed so finding a group was instant, maybe thats different now. Anyhow I uninstalled before the end of beta, so I have no idea about leveling from 30-50.

WTF happened to the timeline videos, that was virtually the only reason I visited the swtor website?

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Uhh got to ask...  What is the potential you see?

Because personally I don't see a whole lot.  

New races?  Bioware doesn't want to add any race that Leia wouldn't do.  

New Classes?  Sure after writing 50 more hours of story, adding new space port to every port in the game, designing two new classes, coming up with 2 new "Ionic" heroic names, 5 companions and a new ship... 

New worlds and FPs?  Only can add high level ones as the storyline is so linear there wouldn't be any reason to go to lower level stuff, even with alts.

New Minigames?  Yeah maybe after half of a year. 

So personally I don't see any real room for growth other then features that should have been in the game to start with if they wanted to be really like WoW. 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.