Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was I too hard on SWTOR?

Comments

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by thexrated

You know what tech support suggests?  They say they are aware of those specific bugs and are "working on it."  In the meantime, why not abandon the quest and start over to see if that fixes it.  O_O   WTF.....who wants to do THAT?

Ummm, I must be old. This approach has been used to quite some sucess over the years, in many a MMO.

Frankly that responce makes you look lazy.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by jacklo

Just to emphasise, I don't care how many games have been released years ago with bugs or lack of content.

MMO's were a new concept back then, not that that's an excuse for bugs anyway. 

New mmo's are new as well, it all depends on how all the data is put together, the engine etc. and the live environment allways functions differently than the internal QA server, alpha server, beta server even if you have many folks testing on them still things can and will work differently once the masses are let free on it.

OS's aren't a new concept either and microsoft has made them for years yet they still can't release a bug free OS and even today there's still a shetload of windows xp bugs not fixed.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by lilHeala

Just to emphasise, I don't care how many games have been released years ago with bugs or lack of content.

New mmo's are new as well, it all depends on how all the data is put together, the engine etc. and the live environment allways functions differently than the internal QA server, alpha server, beta server even if you have many folks testing on them still things can and will work differently once the masses are let free on it.

OS's aren't a new concept either and microsoft has made them for years yet they still can't release a bug free OS and even today there's still a shetload of windows xp bugs not fixed.

Oh c'mon, there's bugs, and there's BUGS. Don't take my post out of context.

No software is bug free, but there's a point where it gets beyond a joke.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

The most expensive MMO ever made had no business launching in such a horrible state. But its clear Bioware has no idea how to make an MMO.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Well I'm sorry if you experienced so many bugs that are so big to you,  I and everyone I've met in SW:TOR didn't have any serious problems due to bugs other than being annoyed by folks exploiting. So far nothing has been game breaking to me so I see them as relatively small bugs.

Not that I'm a big fan of that game but I still enjoy some of the aspects until GW2 releases.

• Fed1Fed1 Member Posts: 167

And yet you or any others here have not mentioned a "Game Breaking" bug. If you think SWTOR has BUGS , then you simply do not like MMOs.

And regarding the other comments from posters about MMOs, wait til people play GW2 no healing no raids, instanced gathering ...

Originally posted by Fed1

And yet you or any others here have not mentioned a "Game Breaking" bug. If you think SWTOR has BUGS , then you simply do not like MMOs.

And regarding the other comments from posters about MMOs, wait til people play GW2 no healing no raids, instanced gathering ...

There are plenty of things to be wary about in GW2, but at least it'll be an MMO, unlike SWTOR. And who gives a shit if there's no raids? There's only been like 2 games with decent raiding.

Wasn't being unable to do warfronts at lvl 50 a "game breaking bug"?

Considering that's pretty much all there is to do at that level, it's game breaking to me.

The other main issues are still the ability delay and FPS issues. I can't really call them bugs, just poor coding. It has the same effect though. It's game breaking to the extreme.

Originally posted by SignusM

There are plenty of things to be wary about in GW2, but at least it'll be an MMO, unlike SWTOR. And who gives a shit if there's no raids? There's only been like 2 games with decent raiding.

Comical - I love this place. GW2 is lower on the MMO scale than SWTOR.

MMORRPG - Where SWTOR is the WOW CLONE THAT IS NOT A MMO - LOL

Considering that's pretty much all there is to do at that level, it's game breaking to me.

The other main issues are still the ability delay and FPS issues. I can't really call them bugs, just poor coding. It has the same effect though. It's game breaking to the extreme.

No considering most did not have this problem and there are plenty of other things to do.

Game breaking bug is having your computer lock up on porting in Rift. O and this is the big example of MMO polish people point to? LOL

PS No problem here on FPS or ability - might be your computer :)

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Good post.

The software industry is young and many products release with bugs. How about in the 70's if you bought a Ford or Vauxhall or Citroen you were not gaurantee something wouldn't break in the first few weeks of ownership and cars had been mass produced for 50+ years ifd you wanted a reliable car expect to pay for it. Nowadays cars are much more reliable and better built and so are MMO's I imagine EQ, AC, UO all have tons of bugs but because no-one new any better they just overlooked them and carried on. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

GW2 at least has an open world in most places, unlike SWTOR. And SWTOR is, without a doubt, a WoW clone.

GW2 at least has an open world in most places, unlike SWTOR. And SWTOR is, without a doubt, a WoW clone.

GW2 is smaller than SWTOR - Hoth alone is the size of Rift and totally open.

http://www.mmorpg.com/photo/68d4a45e-fe96-44c7-9b13-4bd25de47e78

Of course nothing compaes to the older MMOs

http://www.mmorpg.com/photo/df70f8fb-e970-4cb4-95d9-0107517c2fc9

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

don't think you understand or looked into GW2 much,  swtor playes and feels to me more like a sprpg than another other game claiming to be a full fledge MMO I have ever played. Take a look at how GW2 dynamic questing and world bosses work and just how the zones are put together and you can see why people say GW2 is more of a MMO than swtor. Well have to wait awhile to actually see how this all "feels" when actually playing in GW2 but the ideas and foundations look much more suited for MMO type gameplay than what is offered in swtor.

also to comment on post above size of the worlds has nothing to do with game actually feeling or playing like a MMO. You could have the biggest zone ever created but if you can't populate that zone it's not going to feel like a MMO

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

No considering most did not have this problem and there are plenty of other things to do.

Game breaking bug is having your computer lock up on porting in Rift. O and this is the big example of MMO polish people point to? LOL

Lock up on porting in RIFT... never happened to me. Nor did I hear anyone in our guild ever come across a similar problem.

I'll tell you what our guild did come across in SWTOR though...

We couldn't get anywhere in a hurry. Some PvP starts on a planet somewhere, we get a group together and by the time everyone gets through the loading screens, it's all over.

Loading into fleet, half of the guild were met with a blank screen. As graphics slowly started to load, they were still unable to move their character for minutes at a time.

We planned a raid on Ilum with 30 to 40 members but after loading in and before setting off looking for action, we had to give up because 80% of the guild had like 3 FPS and struggled to get back off the planet.

Yes it's that bad.

Lock up on porting in RIFT... never happened to me. Nor did I hear anyone in our guild ever come across a similar problem.

I'll tell you what our guild did come across in SWTOR though...

We couldn't get anywhere in a hurry. Some PvP starts on a planet somewhere, we get a group together and by the time everyone gets through the loading screens, it's all over.

Loading into fleet, half of the guild were met with a blank screen. As graphics slowly started to load, they were still unable to move their character for minutes at a time.

We planned a raid on Ilum with 30 to 40 members but after loading in and before setting off looking for action, we had to give up because 80% of the guild had like 3 FPS and struggled to get back off the planet.

Yes it's that bad.

No one in my guild of 20 or so has had any of the problems you mentioned - Go Figure

And it seems your entire guild made it to level 50 without any game breaking bugs Hmmm

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

Most to all fo the problems you guys have brought up i have not had. Ilum runs great on my computer. I am also not runing a WoW computer. I have a gaming computer. I get very very little lag. No lag in any PvP. I have all my setting on thier highest setting.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I think you seriously can't compare the bugs of a game that's been in release for a year to one that is only a couple of months old.

As far as SWTOR bugs go, the vast majority have been resolved. There are still some big ones, but the issues you are complaining abouttheoughout this thread are mostly gone.

The worst bugs in the game right now are probably related to Soa. Even he is starting to get a lot better to fight.

I'm sorry, but the state of the game now is not the same as it was at launch.

Remember what Tera us like now, and I'll let you know what SWTOR Is like when it's seen a year of release.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by bbethel

Most to all fo the problems you guys have brought up i have not had. Ilum runs great on my computer. I am also not runing a WoW computer. I have a gaming computer. I get very very little lag. No lag in any PvP. I have all my setting on thier highest setting.

I don't disagree that some people are able to play the game reasonably.

By the same token, I don't think you should close your eyes to the many people who do have problems.

These people are not a small minority as can be seen in the offical forums and far beyond.

I dare say if there was a class action lawsuit, BW/EA would have real problems trying to justify their "minimum hardware specifications" when they are so far off the mark.

It's not really that the minimum specs don't work for some people, but others with far better specs still have problems.

Legally I should be entitled to a refund since my specs far outweigh those specified.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

ILLUM is so epic just watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fkMKYvZTOw

I have never ever played any sort of mass scale pvp in any game without little hiccups or lag and that's even on games with a engine designed to support mass battles like lineage 2 so I call BS here unless your ILLUM fights are 5 vs 5.. unless you got some video to show i'd be happy to see it

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

"Get your head out of your ass.  Gamer's expectations are way too high now adays.  It's like a women that wants a man who is a good lover, good looking, smart, funny, has lots of money etc etc etc.....you can't have it all..."

Besides just describing me (ask my wife hehe) my expectations were not too high for SWTOR and STILL the game sucked beyond belief. I not only want my money back - I want that month of my life back.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

By the same token, I don't think you should close your eyes to the many people who do have problems.

These people are not a small minority as can be seen in the offical forums and far beyond.

I dare say if there was a class action lawsuit, BW/EA would have real problems trying to justify their "minimum hardware specifications" when they are so far off the mark.

It's not really that the minimum specs don't work for some people, but others with far better specs still have problems.

Legally I should be entitled to a refund since my specs far outweigh those specified.

All empty rhetoric. You are very clever using words like "some" and "many". The reality is that "most"  were able to play this without serious problems. You might find the game boring or lacking in many aspects, but it was not unplayable or no where nearly as buggy as you make it sound. Also your assumption about class action lawsuit is nothing but air. You can run this game with fairly crappy laptops, and its no fault of Bioware if people do not understand that it probably won't run with highest settings on a machine like that. 

That said, I have had games in the past that simply would not work on my machine. Did not get refunds, nor did I try, but the problems usually were fixed pretty quickly.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

All empty rhetoric. You are very clear using words like "some" and "many". The reality is that "most"  were able to play this without serious problems. You might find the game boring or lacking in many aspects, but it was not unplayable or no where nearly as buggy as you make it sound. Also your assumption about class action lawsuit is nothing but air. You can run this game with fairly crappy laptops, and its no fault of Bioware if people do not understand that it probably won't run with highest settings on a machine like that. 

That said, I have had games in the past that simply would not work on my machine. Did not get refunds, nor did I try, but the problems usually were fixed pretty quickly.

You sound as if myself and everyone else are trying to run beyond our specs.

Far from it lol. I run a game to what feels an acceptablly responsive FPS, disregarding any graphics fluff.

I can't set SWTOR any lower than it is and I haven't even whined about the graphics other than to say most current games are technically superior in that department. It's not as high on my list as playability.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Four0Six

Originally posted by just1opinion

You know what tech support suggests?  They say they are aware of those specific bugs and are "working on it."  In the meantime, why not abandon the quest and start over to see if that fixes it.  O_O   WTF.....who wants to do THAT?

Ummm, I must be old. This approach has been used to quite some sucess over the years, in many a MMO.

Frankly that responce makes you look lazy.

Lazy?  In a GAME?  Okaaaay.  No, actually the quest is just really damn long and flocking boring as shit.  I don't care for repeating it.  THEY should get less lazy and fix their lousy game.  With all the things that are wrong with it, I don't suppose two bugged quests are going to rank very high.  Probably would be better for me just to move along and leave this game like most everyone else before I get to endgame and get REALLY pissed.

Do you work for Bioware?  And yet you can't figure out why I wouldn't want to repeat a quest?  Amazing.  Maybe if the quests were BETTER.....hello.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I really didn't encounter many bugs until the higher levels in SWTOR. Far as that goes I thought they did a pretty good job outside of Ilum that is. Pretty much an all around disaster far as that planet goes.

The game is missing features galore and their population management is hideous but can't say bugs was really an issue with me when it came to SWTOR.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.