Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect 3 Multi-player Question

ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

So I haven't tried the demos (single player or multi-player) for ME3 because I don't want to spoil the story for MY Commander Shepard.  

I understand there is a multi-player component of the game and I'll describe how I THINK it works and want to know if that is the case.

So, in multi-player you don't play Shepard, but rather a un-named soldier (type dependent on species) working WITH other players online to take out Husks or some other bad-guys.  Your accomplishments in multi-player somehow benefit your offline story with Commander Shepard.

Is that correct?  If so, what kind of benefit does the multi-player have to the offline story?  I appreciate the help.  

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

Comments

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Ever play Gears of War's Horde mode?

It's that with classes, experience, equipment, and secondary objectives.  Horde mode meets RPG.

So you're pretty much spot on.

The GaW system is an optional metagame thing you can use to influence singleplayer.  By playing the multiplayer you get war assets, which you can apply to a galaxy map to prepare the galaxy for LOL REAPER COUNTERATTACK .  By messing with the GaW map you can help out your singleplayer progress, but it's optional so you don't have to touch it and still get all the endings.

So you can co-op to earn the war assets, or you can buy the iOS game that will earn you war assets and single player weapons.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Originally posted by ompgaming

So I haven't tried the demos (single player or multi-player) for ME3 because I don't want to spoil the story for MY Commander Shepard.  

I understand there is a multi-player component of the game and I'll describe how I THINK it works and want to know if that is the case.

So, in multi-player you don't play Shepard, but rather a un-named soldier (type dependent on species) working WITH other players online to take out Husks or some other bad-guys.  Your accomplishments in multi-player somehow benefit your offline story with Commander Shepard.

Is that correct?  If so, what kind of benefit does the multi-player have to the offline story?  I appreciate the help.  

The multiplayer demo has no storyline tie-in whatsoever, assuming you've played 1 and 2.  I would definitely recommend playing it just so try it, as there are no spoilers that relate to much of anything.  It's really fun.  I'm sure the real game will tie in somehow, as they've said it will.  However, the demo is just that... a demo, with non-complete features.

Still, quite fun.

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

Well, maybe I'll give it a try then.  Thanks.  

I appreciate you guys taking the time to fill me in on this.  Thanks!

I'm necro-ing my own thread for the purpose of asking another question.

So I did go give the multi-player demo a try and truth be told, the only realy spoiler was who the bad guys are, because they were good guys at the end of my ME2.... but we all knew that that alliance was bound to fail.  

Anyway, so its been a blast playing and I am earning the expereince and credits.  With the credits I can purchase the booster packs in various types for various ammounts of credits.   Are these the things that will aid me in my single-player fight in ME3 and should I be saving my credits and purchasing them when I am in that game as Shepard, or can I buy them now and transfer them to my character in-game when I play?

Does anyone know?  

Also, thanks for recommending I try the demo, its been awesome! 

• BassmanJBassmanJ Member Posts: 25

First, nothing from the demo is going to carry over. With the credits and packs thing, you can save as there is supposed to be a "best" pack, but it would cost alot(this is supposed to be in the full version, i do not know for sure). The credits dont transfer over to the story mode, far as anybody knows anyway.   Mainly you are playing to buff up your multiplayer character to a point where they can be "promoted" to the main game as a war asset.(they become points, you dont play them.) I was told the big deal about the multiplayer is that it helps alot if you miss things in the main game.

Ok, thanks.

SO the most important things to do in the multi-player demo to assist with the mail game is to level up my characters.

Thanks.