Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Baldurs Gate was the game that really got me into PC Gaming. I will keep an eye on this for sure.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

"The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny, chaos will be sown by their passage."

So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Oh man, Baldurs Gate was the rebirth of RPGs, after they had been said to be dead for many years. I would LOVE to get back to that legacy with new stories.

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Ahh the grand old days! :D

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

BG was nice but planescape torment that was juts :D

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Hmmm, worth keeping an eye on I suppose...

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

Hope for it.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405
    As long as it's not made by Bioware... im in.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430

games like this should be redefined with better graphics like dungeon keeper and carmageddon oldie games should be enhanced to our new gen.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by spaceport

Bioware did the first 2 games right, as long as they keep the Dragon age devs away I don´t see any problem with them making the third game as well.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by Loke666

Bioware did the first 2 games right, as long as they keep the Dragon age devs away I don´t see any problem with them making the third game as well.

The dragon age devs are the ones who did Baldur's Gate I believe.  For me, the first BG was amazing. Loved that game. Then it dropped off with BG2. The graphics style had an art to it that was ruined when they went with the graphic engine they had with BG2. DA1 and 2 did not hold me either. I doubt anything made these days will compare to the work of Bethesda. I'm just glad there's one company with their head on straight.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by wrekognize

Originally posted by Loke666

The dragon age devs are the ones who did Baldur's Gate I believe.  For me, the first BG was amazing. Loved that game. Then it dropped off with BG2. The graphics style had an art to it that was ruined when they went with the graphic engine they had with BG2. DA1 and 2 did not hold me either. I doubt anything made these days will compare to the work of Bethesda. I'm just glad there's one company with their head on straight.

I thought BG2 was way better than BG1, at least Shadows of Amn.. not the expansion.  That just got really weird.  BG1 and UO were the first RPG and MMORPG that I played.  Best single player story and best MMO I've ever played.  Odd isn't it?

• poweruopoweruo Member UncommonPosts: 31

Bioware has released lots of awwsome rpg games before they sold them self to EA. Im a big fan of their earlyer games but i understand your comment. I feel sorta the same way to day. I believe they still have talents onboard their team but its starting to be more about milking the consumers than creating awwsome game experiences imho.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by Deewe

I would much rather have a planescape remake, that game blew bg out of the water in many ways. Sadly it is very underappreciated.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I liked Baldur's Gate 1. BG2 I thought was good, though it missed*something* from BG1

But yes, Planescape was a whole other order of awesome on top, I think because whilst it still had a very linear central story you could come at it from several angles & the dialogues were quite inventive & open-ended, also it had thoe most awesome "concept universe" behind it as a backdrop that is almost criminal it wasn't used moreso.

A remake of Planescape would have me as excited as an all-star quaterback on prom-night, or something like that.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Originally posted by Elikal

Ahh the grand old days! :D

hee i cant never forget

Let's internet

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by xenpt

games like this should be redefined with better graphics like dungeon keeper and carmageddon oldie games should be enhanced to our new gen.

Unfortunately, remakes tend to get their guts ripped out and replaced with pablum by the developers who are "re-imagining" them.  Look at the recent Jagged Alliance remake and what the future holds for Sindicate and X-Com.  Hell, just look at the entire franchise history of X-Com too see how badly these games miss their mark.

At this point, every time I hear of a new remake I feel nauseous at the prospect of what fresh humiliation might be visited upon another classic from my youth.  It's like developers today are completely oblivious to what it was that made those games great in the first place.  The reason for that they don't share our history with them and they are only trying to cash in on a name.  Even Firaxis, who I'd expected so much more from, has failed to recognize the legacy that they are now blithely grinding down beneath their jackboots.  It's a disgrace.

Today, if Dungeon Keep was remade, they'd probably turn it into a f***ing FPS.  That''s how out of touch developers are with the games we still cherish.  Yeah, and it doesn't help that many times, these remakes need to be "tweaked" to allow them to be played on a console.  I think we all have a pretty good idea of what "tweaked" means in these circumstances.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Connmacart

Originally posted by Deewe

I would much rather have a planescape remake, that game blew bg out of the water in many ways. Sadly it is very underappreciated.

Some of us place Planescape above all other RPGs of it's day.  It's still the one for which I have the fondest and most vivid memories.  Underappreciated, yes, but not by me.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

I'd have to look for the boxes but I think Black isle Studio(?) developed it and Bioware published it.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

I'd have to look for the boxes but I think Black isle Studio(?) developed it and Bioware published it.

Baldur's Gate is a role-playing video game developed by BioWare and released in 1998 by Interplay Entertainment. The game takes place in the Forgotten Realms, a high fantasy campaign setting, using modified Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D) 2nd edition rules. The game received critical praise, and was credited (along with Diablo) with revitalizing the CRPG genre.   - Taken from Wikipedia

The website has been up since

Domain Name: BALDURSGATE.COM

Created on: 27-Oct-11

Expires on: 27-Oct-13

Last Updated on: 05-Jan-12

did a whois for ya

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Baldur's Gate is a role-playing video game developed by BioWare and released in 1998 by Interplay Entertainment. The game takes place in the Forgotten Realms, a high fantasy campaign setting, using modified Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D) 2nd edition rules. The game received critical praise, and was credited (along with Diablo) with revitalizing the CRPG genre.

^ or this

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Planescape torment has even little to do with bioware lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Engine

Great game indeed for me with Deus Ex 1

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

It was Black Isle.  Their studios were closed shortly after.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Locking duplicates. Leaving this thread open: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/343976/page/2

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.