Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about GW1

wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 502

I was thinking about pickign up "Guild Wars: Eye of the North" for the perks in GW2

 

Would I need any other "xpaks" or is this an all in one?

Comments

  • DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

    You need any of the 3 campaigns ( Prophecies,Nightfall, Factons) + EoTN and yo're good to go. EoTN is not a stand-alone campaign, its more of an expansion

  • kaldrickkaldrick Member Posts: 25

    You need at least one of the other three (Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall) campanies, to play Eye of the North.

  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 984

    You need Prophecies to play GWEN. The rest are stand alone expansions.

  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

     

    Its also not something you're going to be able to pick up and complete the Hall of Monuments in a week or two.  I recently purchased the GW Complete Collection which is everything for GW for $30 from Gamestop and after having played for about a week now with 5-8hr play sessions every night, I've only gotten 1 more point in HoM. 

    You get 3 points automatically for assuming you're going to link your NCSoft account with GW2, and the 4th I finally got the other night for adding the Hero M.O.X. which I got around level 10.  I also unlocked about 8 other heroes, but I can't add them to HoM just yet because I havn't earned them a set of Hero Armor yet, which I'm sure will be an epic undertaking to get for each one.

     

    Don't take what I said above as a negative though.   GW is an amazing game, can't believe I've never bothered to check it out until now, but after what 6+ years of content since its release, its just incredibly massive and there is just so much to do.  Now granted depending on which land you start in, you can level to 20 fairly quickly or more slowly should you start with Prophecies like I did ~ mainly to follow the story from its origin.    

    If you have a bunch of friends or a guild willing to load your character with good items and money right away as well walk you through most of the missions expeditiously; I could see you getting HoM points a bit quicker, but even then you're looking at several weeks to get a small mass of points, months if you're more the loner type and take things slower!

     

    On the good/bad side I don't see GW2 releasing until late summer/early fall either, so you should have plenty of time to get at least 30/50 HoM points!  {And even then, you can still go back and earn points after GW2 has launched...}

  • alancodealancode Member UncommonPosts: 150

    I played GW for a while, probably a year or so, never bought any of the expansions though. I have 3 level 20's. I intend to play GW2 for a while..I have nothing to play that really intrests me at the moment because even though being a huge star wars fan SW:TOR just cannot keep me playing after 2 50 BM's. 

     

    Question is, should I buy all and expansions and try to get some points in HOM? Is it worth it? Or should I just purchase a AA account and play that for a while. Lol. 

     

    Tired of looking for games, Love sandbox's but MO and DF are not ready to play. 

    (-_-)

  • DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

    Originally posted by alancode

    I played GW for a while, probably a year or so, never bought any of the expansions though. I have 3 level 20's. I intend to play GW2 for a while..I have nothing to play that really intrests me at the moment because even though being a huge star wars fan SW:TOR just cannot keep me playing after 2 50 BM's. 

     

    Question is, should I buy all and expansions and try to get some points in HOM? Is it worth it? Or should I just purchase a AA account and play that for a while. Lol. 

     

    Tired of looking for games, Love sandbox's but MO and DF are not ready to play. 

    If you have nothing better to do, why not ? GW is still a lot of fun. As for the HoM, the items are purely cosmetical, and do not give you any advantages. I recommend that you just enjoy the game, and as you progress, the points will come. However, getting these points is not easy, so getting the some serious points will take some time. Good luck !

  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

    I have a level 10 R/E that I have really enjoyed playing, but....I gave up on earning any HoM pts.  I'm not good enough at controling all my henchmen and heroes to do anything very difficult THAT way, and I really don't like having to ask to group, so....I slowly lost interest, but I did enjoy learning some of the back story for GW2, which is really why I got GW to begin with. :)

    President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

  • FoxyShoxzyFoxyShoxzy Member UncommonPosts: 120

    Originally posted by Khrymson

     

    Its also not something you're going to be able to pick up and complete the Hall of Monuments in a week or two.  I recently purchased the GW Complete Collection which is everything for GW for $30 from Gamestop and after having played for about a week now with 5-8hr play sessions every night, I've only gotten 1 more point in HoM. 

    You get 3 points automatically for assuming you're going to link your NCSoft account with GW2, and the 4th I finally got the other night for adding the Hero M.O.X. which I got around level 10.  I also unlocked about 8 other heroes, but I can't add them to HoM just yet because I havn't earned them a set of Hero Armor yet, which I'm sure will be an epic undertaking to get for each one.

     

    Don't take what I said above as a negative though.   GW is an amazing game, can't believe I've never bothered to check it out until now, but after what 6+ years of content since its release, its just incredibly massive and there is just so much to do.  Now granted depending on which land you start in, you can level to 20 fairly quickly or more slowly should you start with Prophecies like I did ~ mainly to follow the story from its origin.    

    If you have a bunch of friends or a guild willing to load your character with good items and money right away as well walk you through most of the missions expeditiously; I could see you getting HoM points a bit quicker, but even then you're looking at several weeks to get a small mass of points, months if you're more the loner type and take things slower!

     

    On the good/bad side I don't see GW2 releasing until late summer/early fall either, so you should have plenty of time to get at least 30/50 HoM points!  {And even then, you can still go back and earn points after GW2 has launched...}

     

    Can't seem to find a Complete Collection for sale anywhere. There was a recent auction on eBay where 17 of them sold, but all the online retailers are sold out.

  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

    Originally posted by Shinobikhan

     

    Can't seem to find a Complete Collection for sale anywhere. There was a recent auction on eBay where 17 of them sold, but all the online retailers are sold out.

     

    Try clicking the link I posted above, you can get it at Gamestop for $30.  Its the only retailer selling the Complete Collection that I could find.  Apparently or so I heard they released it about a year ago but pulled it from most retailers because there were so many trilogy and EotN expansions still available.

  • FoxyShoxzyFoxyShoxzy Member UncommonPosts: 120

    Originally posted by Khrymson

    Originally posted by Shinobikhan



     

    Can't seem to find a Complete Collection for sale anywhere. There was a recent auction on eBay where 17 of them sold, but all the online retailers are sold out.

     

    Try clicking the link I posted above, you can get it at Gamestop for $30.  Its the only retailer selling the Complete Collection that I could find.  Apparently or so I heard they released it about a year ago but pulled it from most retailers because there were so many trilogy and EotN expansions still available.

     

    Right below "Add to cart" it says backordered :(

    Walmart.com is sold out too, as is every other place I looked. Only ones on Amazon were used... >.>

  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

    Ah, oh well.  Must be selling more because of all the GW2 beta videos.  Try calling your local stores, all the of the ones in my area had at least one copy, ya never know!

     

    Otherwise you can still get the Trilogy and EotN separately from Amazon for about $42 if you're desperate!

  • It is possible but It may take a bit more time to farm your way up to 30 with just 2 campaigns. For example, I get 4 titles for the 2 campaigns that you may not have and also a few heroes. Next to that I went to The Deep with my guild last weekend and that was in Factions. That alone gave me like 1 or 2 titles (forgot). All in all it may just be okay because the campaigns take quite a long time. I'd check on that though.

    For more info I refer to here: Wiki Guide to Hall of Monuments . It includes information about limited campaigns. Furthermore you can use the Hall of Monuments Reward Calculator to check how many points and rewards you get for GW2 (you need to type in a name but just use mine: Mike Ranged).

    Good luck and if you are looking for a guild give me a shout and I'll help ya out :).

  • F0rumLurkerF0rumLurker Member Posts: 58

    Originally posted by Shinobikhan

    Can't seem to find a Complete Collection for sale anywhere. There was a recent auction on eBay where 17 of them sold, but all the online retailers are sold out.

    http://www.offgamers.com/guild-wars/GW/guild-wars-cd-key-c-4149-1401-1430.ogm

    I think this is the cheapest around. < $30 for trilogy + eotn but cdkey only i think. If you need help or info on the game check out the wikis:

    http://www.guildwiki.org/Main_Page

    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

    For Builds:

    http://www.gwpvx.com/PvX_wiki

    Couple things to remember: If you really hate instancing, or inability to jump, then you might not like the game. Personally though, this wasn't a big deal for me. You might consider trying out the free demo to see if you like it. However, the game still offers a lot of content for an extremely low price. GL

Sign In or Register to comment.