Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What really killed this game

Comments

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Well i have at least speeder and you will not have even a horse :====)

• dimmit77dimmit77 Member Posts: 294

Originally posted by daveospice

The passive gameplay style. 

For instance; in the early levels the instances are easy to run and you don't need to CC anything to succeed.   I really enjoyed it up until around level 30+

In the later levels, you basically have to CC everything down to one mob and kill one mob at a time in order to get through the levels.

Only if you really , really , REALLY suck . I mean this game is so easy that you have to be a exceptional breed of scrub to fail at killing stuff easily with no CC. 

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by palulalula

Well i have at least speeder and you will not have even a horse :====)

I rather teleport and run than drive my speeder to and then run through the same copy / paste corridors to get to my ship and a bunch of loading screens to be able to travel large distances.

If they weren't all looking the same and there weren't red and green instance walls and loading screens everywhere, I'd buy the argument that it's lore appropriate or immersive but it's currently just a timesink.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by kalinis

u people realize tor isnt dead right? Far from it its a thriving game. the game is doing much better then u the world is falling tor is going free 2 play next month crowd will ever give it credit for.

Yep.  Just goes to show, some people will believe on Wednesday what they believed on Monday... no matter what happened on Tuesday.

And just like they did, and still do with Rift and its' "failure", so will they do to TOR.  And when, like Rift, TOR posts a profit a year out, they'll drum up the same excuses, though they will be muffled by the bubble they live in.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

you say its to hard... other say its way to easy ...

Well.... maybe they should make server with adifferent difficult settings...

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by MosesZD

Originally posted by grimal

Originally posted by ComfyChair

Originally posted by bigsmiff

So my vision doesn't count? And my new guildies are my imagination? The Republic fleet has been steadily growing in pop. for the past week or so. It is funny that those sites weren't accurate when the numbers were growing. Now that they show a decrease, it is accurate right?

I don't know what bullshit 'fanboys' and 'haters' have been throwing around in here over time, but SW:ToR definitely has a shrinking population and has had so since after the initial sales boom. Local increases don't count for a lot. My guild went from 5 members to 90 in 2 months in GW1 in 2008, but that was after all the expansions, when work was being done on GW2 :) The whole game hadn't drastically increased in playercount just because my guild saw an 18x increase in size.

But, indeed, like the poster said, it's not dead and wont be for a long time.

Every MMO sees a decrease in activity after the initial month or two.

Not true.   Not even close.    LOTRO didn't.   Took years.   WoW took even longer.   Eve keeps growing.  Lineage and Lineage II grew for years and year and years before losing players.  

And there are more examples to disprove this old canard.

None of the games you listed got even close to the amount of players for SWTOR in a western market (Lineage is the obvious exception in Asia), even after the 'massive loss of players' in SWTOR it still has way more than LOTRO or EVE have ever had.

The only other Pay to Play MMOs that even sold close to what SWTOR has since WoW were AoC and Hellgate: London with 1 million each, and they lost way more subscribers than SWTOR did.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

For instance; in the early levels the instances are easy to run and you don't need to CC anything to succeed.   I really enjoyed it up until around level 30+

In the later levels, you basically have to CC everything down to one mob and kill one mob at a time in order to get through the levels.

Welcome to EQ 1 all over again.

After playing EQ for so long, I can't do this playstyle anymore.    Especially after having played through Rift, and enjoyed the fast paced combat.

Not to mention so much CC never transfers well into PVP...  I hated PVP in this game.  Probably the worst PVP I've ever played in an MMO. I  wish I could have got my money back really, it was that bad.
    You don't even understand how bad this game is...  I was really upset at myself for having spent 60 dollars on this and buying the hype when I could have took that 60 dollars and spent it on something I'd actually enjoy. 
    This game isn't just going in my junk pile, I'm going to fucking burn it. 
    Shadowbane, Hellgate London, Tabula Rasa all gets cancelled, and you guys let this game live on?  REALLY?

They developed a trade skill that... gives you money.  THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A WARNING SIGN WHY DIDN'T I SEE IT!

SWTOR is on the market 3months?

Shadowbane 5 years?

Hellgate london failed after year deserved.

Tabulla rasa failed also deserved

Now we wait for SWTOR to fail deserved hehe

SWTOR failed(not yet) becouse of EA/Bioware and bring $$$ money grabbing crap game on market for masses.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by evilastro

So my vision doesn't count? And my new guildies are my imagination? The Republic fleet has been steadily growing in pop. for the past week or so. It is funny that those sites weren't accurate when the numbers were growing. Now that they show a decrease, it is accurate right?

I don't know what bullshit 'fanboys' and 'haters' have been throwing around in here over time, but SW:ToR definitely has a shrinking population and has had so since after the initial sales boom. Local increases don't count for a lot. My guild went from 5 members to 90 in 2 months in GW1 in 2008, but that was after all the expansions, when work was being done on GW2 :) The whole game hadn't drastically increased in playercount just because my guild saw an 18x increase in size.

Not true.   Not even close.    LOTRO didn't.   Took years.   WoW took even longer.   Eve keeps growing.  Lineage and Lineage II grew for years and year and years before losing players.  

None of the games you listed got even close to the amount of players for SWTOR, even after the 'massive loss of players' in SWTOR it still has way more than LOTRO or EVE have ever had.

The only other Pay to Play MMOs that even sold close to what SWTOR has since WoW were AoC and Hellgate: London with 1 million each, and they lost way more subscribers than SWTOR did.

Eve currently has around 350k active subs, and while SW:TOR has more currently, its not by a huge amount, maybe in another month it may even be less than Eve. we shall see. but either way, its definitely not a number that Bioware/EA can brag about.image

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

I dont touch anytmmo with EA are invovle,

Warhammer.Swtor,TSW

i give my best wish for Tsw but with EA behind....

game full of bug , not finish. 

no worry just throw money and more money until the game is playable,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Originally posted by Phry

Eve currently has around 350k active subs, and while SW:TOR has more currently, its not by a huge amount, maybe in another month it may even be less than Eve. we shall see. but either way, its definitely not a number that Bioware/EA can brag about.image

That's right, Eve just launched a couple months ago too, right?

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by dimmit77

Only if you really , really , REALLY suck . I mean this game is so easy that you have to be a exceptional breed of scrub to fail at killing stuff easily with no CC. 

To the OP what class were you playing? Im a BH and currently level 45 I've never HAD to use CC once in the entire PvE single player game?

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

None of the games you listed got even close to the amount of players for SWTOR, even after the 'massive loss of players' in SWTOR it still has way more than LOTRO or EVE have ever had.

And how many years it took eve to get that many players? EVE didn't release with 300K subs. This comparison doesn't even make sense. 

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by sk8chalif

Warhammer.Swtor,TSW

Not trying to be rude, Was the complete lack of spelling and basic grammer meant to be a form of iorny given your statements? LMAO (game full of bug??)

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Originally posted by bloodbone

Warhammer.Swtor,TSW

Not trying to be rude, Was the complete lack of spelling and basic grammer meant to be a form of iorny given your statements? LMAO (game full of bug??)

grammar police at others yet you fail yourself?

ha!

RIP Orc Choppa

That's right, Eve just launched a couple months ago too, right?

Eve is a niche game that apeals to a relatively small subset of gamers, SW:TOR is supposed to be a mainstream AAA MMO themepark, as in all things, MMO's have a 'window' of opportunity which they have to utilise in order to succeed, or fail. For SW:TOR to be competing for Eve type numbers would be a fail, because SW:TOR probably cannot survive as a 'niche' game. The comparable resources involved are too disproportionate for that to be acceptable, even from a running costs point of view. And CCP don't have to give money to anyone else for the IP either, which Bioware/EA do. My estimate is that Bioware/EA probably have another 3 months to turn things around, but that may be too optimistic, they might not.image

Originally posted by arctarus

Warhammer.Swtor,TSW

grammar police at others yet you fail yourself?

ha!

Its called Muphry's law,  ... TSW btw is not an EA product, they are the publishers only. much as they may come to wish otherwise image

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

SW isn't going to fail. Bioware/EA will milk all the money they can in this 'beta' then go free to play and make more money.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Warhammer.Swtor,TSW

I'm willing to bet that he, at least, is a master of his mother tongue.

Warhammer.Swtor,TSW

well first off , Iam not english, 

second , i worked at EA for 2 years has a Game tester and i have seen many major bug been ignored, they dont care, if the game is playable its can be release,

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Superduper69

Sales have been in toilet for SWTOR? what?

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

WoW is the green line that rises far above everything else.  It obviously was in a period of explosive growth for years.

It's not fair to use WoW as an example as it has proven time and time to be more of a phenomenom than anything else.

Well if you don't want to count WoW as an example, check out the chart below:

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

Look at Everquest, UO, DAoC, Eve, and FFXI

All of these games had a fairly significant period of growth after release before relatively stablizing for a while and then eventually declining (except for Eve which is growing steadily).

Then look at Rift, WAR, and AoC

All of these games have a HUGE spike of players and release and then a massive drop off.

It's only the post-WoW WoW-clone games that display the pattern of a huge spike of sales at release and then a massive drop off.  And I really think that the reason for this is that they simply can't "out-WoW" WoW.  WoW is very good at what it does.

And for players looking for the WoW experience, the original is still best IMO.  So a bunch of players will try a new game that follows the WoW model closely, but typically discover that it's just not as good as the original and quit.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Warhammer.Swtor,TSW

second , i worked at EA for 2 years has a Game tester and i have seen many major bug been ignored, they dont care, if the game if playable its can be release,

Sorry not buying it.

Warhammer.Swtor,TSW

second , i worked at EA for 2 years has a Game tester and i have seen many major bug been ignored, they dont care, if the game if playable its can be release,

Sorry not buying it.

Not my problem, Very easy to find a Job Has a game tester in Montreal since its 1  of the biggest city with gaming company , like Ubisoft,Funcom,EA and some other independent who test game for other company

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Last Time I checked it was still being played. sure I didn't  like it much but I'm a picky jaded asshole in the first place.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

And how many years it took eve to get that many players? EVE didn't release with 300K subs. This comparison doesn't even make sense. 

You're assuming that SWTOR will actually grow with time.  But I honestly doubt that.

Nearly every game that has copied that WoW model has only gone one way in terms of subs since release...and that's down.  I just don't see what is going to be different about SWTOR on this frontier.

And the server pop data already shows that the servers are MUCH less populated than they were at release.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Eve is a niche game that apeals to a relatively small subset of gamers, SW:TOR is supposed to be a mainstream AAA MMO themepark, as in all things, MMO's have a 'window' of opportunity which they have to utilise in order to succeed, or fail. For SW:TOR to be competing for Eve type numbers would be a fail, because SW:TOR probably cannot survive as a 'niche' game. The comparable resources involved are too disproportionate for that to be acceptable, even from a running costs point of view. And CCP don't have to give money to anyone else for the IP either, which Bioware/EA do. My estimate is that Bioware/EA probably have another 3 months to turn things around, but that may be too optimistic, they might not.image

So you draw comparisons between TOR and EVE, but then discount it when others do?  That's not arguing fair.