Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What really killed this game

Comments

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Originally posted by ForumPvP

General Discussion  » What really killed this game

It just not possible that it is that  bad,heres the proof:

http://www.swtor.com/awards

• Best MMO more times than people have pressed spacebar

• Best whatever more times than people have been CC´ed

Conclusion: it must be the best MMORPG in the universe.

I especially like the "Best PC Game of 2009" award.  The amount of rewards it received before it released is amazing.  In fact, it looks like ALL of the awards are from before it released.  I don't see any awards from 2012 oddly enough... 

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Ha ha, that game was killed because you was not there. Every game where you suck at pvp is killed and dead :) WOW is dead, eve is dead, rift is dead.  But i understand you well, same was with me when i tried worst mmo ever made--guild wars. I was thinking --Dude what are you doing here???  Why i did waste my money on so bad game?  It was pure horror, even today after few years i have big problems with my brain because of  bad gw expirience. But i am good man and i will not sue gw developers, they have so and so low player population and i feel sorry for this people.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Originally posted by palulalula

Ha ha, that game was killed because you was not there. Every game where you suck at pvp is killed and dead :) WOW is dead, eve is dead, rift is dead.  But i understand you well, same was with me when i tried worst mmo ever made--guild wars. I was thinking --Dude what are you doing here???  Why i did waste my money on so bad game?  It was pure horror, even today after few years i have big problems with my brain because of  bad gw expirience. But i am good man and i will not sue gw developers, they have so and so low player population and i feel sorry for this people.

You don't say.  I don't think I would have ever guessed at that.  Very brave of you to share. :)

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

BioWare killed SWTOR  because of its VO cinematics and having the game 75% dialogue (highly exaggerated).  Star Wars in general is overrated IMO because it feels so unbelievable.  Light Sabers? cmon they look like popsicles.  Metachlorian(spelling?)  count determines how powerful you are and its predetermined at birth? So how would that fit into strength progression in the game?

-I am here to perform logic

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Originally posted by Theonenoni

BioWare killed SWTOR  because of its VO cinematics and having the game 75% dialogue (highly exaggerated).  Star Wars in general is overrated IMO because it feels so unbelievable.  Light Sabers? cmon they look like popsicles.  Metachlorian(spelling?)  count determines how powerful you are and its predetermined at birth? So how would that fit into strength progression in the game?

Yea, you can only imagine how gw2 will suck.. with no mounts, no sprint, instant teleporting and , and, and,, wait a sec!!!! With quest movies, damn :( another swtor clone

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by daveospice

I actually don't want to play hellgate london.  The new version is an abomination, and doesn't have hardcore mode.

I believed the hype because it was Bioware... Bioware has NEVER done me wrong.  Okay, Mass Effect 2 was meh... but never before that!

It's like a girl who promised me sex, who had always delivered on past promises...  She still had sex with me, but this time she had gained a lot of weight and she had an std. 

One thing that is important to realize is that this game was NOT made by the same people who made NWN, Jade Empire, Dragon Age, BG, KOTOR....

It was made by Bioware AUSTIN, a new Texas studio founded solely to create SWTOR.  The main Bioware office is in Canada, so it's likely that most people at the Austin office are not from the Canada office because of the distance.

And now it's even worse.  There are EIGHT separate "Bioware" studios in EA now.  Many of them just "rebranded" versions of EA's other crappy studios.

To me, the REAL Bioware is in Edmonton, Canada.  Everything else is just some other studio that has been branded with the Bioware name.  I will no longer trust a game with the "Bioware" name on it to actually be made by the development studio I know and love because of EA's deceptive branding shenanigans.  And it actually pisses me off.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Let me just go ahead and /thread this for everyone.

What really killed this game? NOTHING. It is still doing fine and tons of people are playing it. It will not die anytime soon no matter how much certain vocal people on these forums want it to.

We get that you don't like the game, but that does not mean that it is dead. You cannot stop people from enjoying the game just because you personally are disappointed by it. I suggest that you all try to find some game that you actually DO enjoy rather than waste any more of your time on this forum. Oh, that's right... there aren't any games you actually like. That must really suck.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

After playing EQ for so long, I can't do this playstyle anymore.  

There's your problem right there.  You got burnt out on the genre.  Guess what?  The game isn't dead.  It's far from dead.  In fact, a lot of people still play it.

If you're sick of eating fast food, yet you continue to eat it and complain how it sucks over and over, guess what?  You should'nt have ordered it in the first place!  It's friggin' fast food.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by rojo6934

This game isn't just going in my junk pile, I'm going to fucking burn it. 

Shadowbane, Hellgate London, Tabula Rasa all gets cancelled, and you guys let this game live on?  REALLY?

that you hate the game is one thing, its just something personal. I like the game, but i am not resubbing because of 2 reasons. 1) i dislike monthly subs, and 2) i dont find Swtor worth a sub right now.

these games either got cancelled because the company went broke, or were horribly bad enough that didnt get enough people to play and spend cash on them. Therefore, not making enough income to stay alive. So they died like rats (hellgate is a good example of this and now its free to play. Thats different than Swtor, many people like Swtor and are willing to support the game hoping the devs fix it because they love star wars Lore. Plus BW is stinkily rich (specially along with EA) so... As long as BW actively works on fixing things, the game is far from dying although i wont resub for the reasons i said before

Actually, they're not.   They haven't turned a profit since the merger and they've lost $2.77 billion since the merger.    That's about 2/3 the company value has been lost since the merger.

They're in big stinking financial trouble and making dumb-decision after dumb-decision to generate quick cash flow.   Like the removing the Prothean from ME3 and making it part of the CE.    

In 2010, when the script was leaked, the Prothean was in the full game.   Now it's not.    Now it's part of a $20 add-on, along with some other fairly worthless stuff.  Now, you can add in another $10 to your base to get it, but this is over the base game they jacked to $60 on the PC for no reason but they could.  (They're an old engine, already adapted and unlike PS3 and XBox, there are not 'license' fees to put the game on a PC.  No extra costs for the PC in adaptation or licensing, just straight-up development.)

So now you're paying $70 for a $50 game.

And you have a crap MMO designed by clowns.    And you have a shameless money-grab with DA2.   And you have a shameless money grab with Jade Empire going to PC after it was an "XBox" exclusive.   And now it looks like were going to get another shameless money grab as they look like they're monkeying around with BG.   A franchise that made the reputation of BioWare.  A reputation they have, frankly, failed to live up to since 2002, as we get shorter-and-shorter 'production value, padded with running and cutscenes' games in lieu of quality writing.

Now, they're not out of cash.   Don't get me wrong.   They have a lot of cash.   What they don't have is an ability to make a profit and that cash will go away.   Just ask Interplay...

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    So I was at the park this past weekend. And while I relaxed watching the leaves I noticed from the corner of my eye this guy surrounded by 4 gorgeous girls, tossing hundred dollar bills in the air and hating the girls toss champagne and living it off his face.
    Dude was having a ball.
    Then this other guy, smelling rather rancid and pushing a cart fixates his eyes on mine and starts screaming - " see that man?!? He's dead. He is not alive! He was born destined to failure! Don't you see him! He's a cadaver!"
    Soo I look at the guy and one of the girls in now pouring champagne on his ties then sucking them.
    Rancid-Man goes on "see! He's not really there! He's rotting in a tomb somewhere!"
    So I tell him "dude, he's pretty much alive and having a ball."
    Rancid-Man replies: "But he's going to die! He's destined to die for being successful."
    So I tell him "dude, we're all destined to die. But it seems kinda fun to be very much alive like that while it lasts."
    Rancid-Man, unfazed, kept on pushing his cart trying to convince all onlookers that playboy-man was actually a corpse, and was not even there.

I heard the laughter of the girls in the background. And then I woke up
  • Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Pardon the lack of proofreader failure. Written from a mobile. Will clear it up later. Maybe.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Hmmm...it's letting me log in right now. That's strange

Seriously..why are people killing this game off? My guild has gotten 5 brand spanking new players in the last 2 days and all of my friends are still loving the game. I am seeing a rise in population on Sith Wyrm server so Bioware must have given us a different game then what everyone else is playing.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Seriously..why are people killing this game off? My guild has gotten 5 brand spanking new players in the last 2 days and all of my friends are still loving the game. I am seeing a rise in population on Sith Wyrm server so Bioware must have given us a different game then what everyone else is playing.

Doesn't look like it...

http://www.torstatus.net/sith-wyrm/history/7d#!/sith-wyrm/history/30d

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Anubisan

What really killed this game? NOTHING. It is still doing fine and tons of people are playing it. It will not die anytime soon no matter how much certain vocal people on these forums want it to.

We get that you don't like the game, but that does not mean that it is dead. You cannot stop people from enjoying the game just because you personally are disappointed by it. I suggest that you all try to find some game that you actually DO enjoy rather than waste any more of your time on this forum. Oh, that's right... there aren't any games you actually like. That must really suck.

I remember the AoC people saying the same thing...   Then one day, they too stopped.      I remember the Warhammer people saying the same thing.   Then one day, they too stopped.

What this game will do is hang on as a zombie MMO.   Like all these million plus selling MMOS -- Warhammer (100k), AoC (110K),  SWG:NGE (50k),  EQ (110K) and EQ2 (100K).    All these games sold at least a million boxes in their lives.  Some of them in the first two months.  

But it's destined to be a failure, like so many others...     And we can say this with certainty because the sales are so far in the toliet this game cannot sustain even high-quality player churn like Eve Online, never mind the King of Retention -- WarCraft. 

Occassionally, like many zombie MMOs,  every few years it'll get a bit of an update.   And, within time, it'll go in multi-tier F2P like DCUO, EQ, EQ2 AoC, etc...  It will have  a resurgence, but it won't be all that significant.

And BioWare will never recoup the money they put into this game.     At a best case scenario they needed to sell 6 million copies to break even.   The only western MMO to do that is WoW.   And this ain't no WoW.   Well, except they copies WoW...

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by MosesZD

Originally posted by Anubisan

I remember the AoC people saying the same thing...   Then one day, they too stopped.      I remember the Warhammer people saying the same thing.   Then one day, they too stopped.

What this game will do is hang on as a zombie MMO.   Like all these million plus selling MMOS -- Warhammer (100k), AoC (110K),  SWG:NGE (50k),  EQ (110K) and EQ2 (100K).    All these games sold at least a million boxes in their lives.  Some of them in the first two months.  

But it's destined to be a failure, like so many others...     And we can say this with certainty because the sales are so far in the toliet this game cannot sustain even high-quality player churn like Eve Online, never mind the King of Retention -- WarCraft. 

Occassionally, like many zombie MMOs,  every few years it'll get a bit of an update.   And, within time, it'll go in multi-tier F2P like DCUO, EQ, EQ2 AoC, etc...  It will have  a resurgence, but it won't be all that significant.

And BioWare will never recoup the money they put into this game.     At a best case scenario they needed to sell 6 million copies to break even.   The only western MMO to do that is WoW.   And this ain't no WoW.   Well, except they copies WoW...

Sales have been in toilet for SWTOR? what?

No you're not.   The actual hard data says other wise.   What you have is classic confrimation bias and anecdote.   You can see a local increase, but that doesn't mean the server increased as a whole.

Your server barely makes 'heavy' and when it does, it's for minutes, not hours.    It spends over 50% of it's time in light.    It wasn't like that January 8th.    It was far, far more populated.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by Reas43

So I was at the park this past weekend. And while I relaxed watching the leaves I noticed from the corner of my eye this guy surrounded by 4 gorgeous girls, tossing hundred dollar bills in the air and hating the girls toss champagne and living it off his face.

Dude was having a ball.

Then this other guy, smelling rather rancid and pushing a cart fixates his eyes on mine and starts screaming - " see that man?!? He's dead. He is not alive! He was born destined to failure! Don't you see him! He's a cadaver!"

Soo I look at the guy and one of the girls in now pouring champagne on his ties then sucking them.

Rancid-Man goes on "see! He's not really there! He's rotting in a tomb somewhere!"

So I tell him "dude, he's pretty much alive and having a ball."

Rancid-Man replies: "But he's going to die! He's destined to die for being successful."

So I tell him "dude, we're all destined to die. But it seems kinda fun to be very much alive like that while it lasts."

Rancid-Man, unfazed, kept on pushing his cart trying to convince all onlookers that playboy-man was actually a corpse, and was not even there.

I heard the laughter of the girls in the background. And then I woke up

Three of the four girls had dumped him once he ran out of hundreds to toss, and had settled for a more handsome and functional man. When all of the charms of playboy's flaunting had gotten old, all knew he was nothing by a half-baked douchebag.

... he also shot himself in the face after failing an AIDS test later that month.

- Fin

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

SW:ToR has sold roughly 250k copies in two months.

That's what he means (i assume) by 'in the toilet'. After the initial rush, it hasn't sold much at all compared to what they need to to keep the subscriber level above 500k.

The game isn't a failure though, they'd have broken even by now.

And this ain't no WoW.   Well, except they copies WoW...

This makes me LOL.

Originally posted by Creslin321

Doesn't look like it...

http://www.torstatus.net/sith-wyrm/history/7d#!/sith-wyrm/history/30d

So my vision doesn't count? And my new guildies are my imagination? The Republic fleet has been steadily growing in pop. for the past week or so. It is funny that those sites weren't accurate when the numbers were growing. Now that they show a decrease, it is accurate right?

No you're not.   The actual hard data says other wise.   What you have is classic confrimation bias and anecdote.   You can see a local increase, but that doesn't mean the server increased as a whole.

Your server barely makes 'heavy' and when it does, it's for minutes, not hours.    It spends over 50% of it's time in light.    It wasn't like that January 8th.    It was far, far more populated.

But calling it "killed"...come on

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

So my vision doesn't count? And my new guildies are my imagination? The Republic fleet has been steadily growing in pop. for the past week or so. It is funny that those sites weren't accurate when the numbers were growing. Now that they show a decrease, it is accurate right?

I don't know what bullshit 'fanboys' and 'haters' have been throwing around in here over time, but SW:ToR definitely has a shrinking population and has had so since after the initial sales boom. Local increases don't count for a lot. My guild went from 5 members to 90 in 2 months in GW1 in 2008, but that was after all the expansions, when work was being done on GW2 :) The whole game hadn't drastically increased in playercount just because my guild saw an 18x increase in size.

But, indeed, like the poster said, it's not dead and wont be for a long time. Will it need to go F2P? Yes. GW2 is the nail in the coffin for subs. Unless you're the worlds biggest fanboy you can't keep a straight face while saying other MMO's offer enough to justify £10 a month over GW2. Even Blizzard know that with the whole rumour of them adopting a F2P business model for Titan. It'll be great to see subs go though, it's an unnecessary expense.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

There we go again..the mythical data. Where is it?

Originally posted by ComfyChair

I don't know what bullshit 'fanboys' and 'haters' have been throwing around in here over time, but SW:ToR definitely has a shrinking population and has had so since after the initial sales boom. Local increases don't count for a lot. My guild went from 5 members to 90 in 2 months in GW1 in 2008, but that was after all the expansions, when work was being done on GW2 :) The whole game hadn't drastically increased in playercount just because my guild saw an 18x increase in size.

But, indeed, like the poster said, it's not dead and wont be for a long time.

Every MMO sees a decrease in activity after the initial month or two.

Originally posted by Superduper69

Sales have been in toilet for SWTOR? what?

Trend analysis.  

Sold 1.75 million first two weeks.

Sold 284 thousand in January.

Sold  112 (approx, final numbers not adjusted) in February.

Average weekly decline in sales is 31% in decline from the previous week (starting from week ending January 7th, it'd be far worse if I started from inception).   Example series to illustrate: 

100K sales Week 1. 

69K sales Week 2.  

48k sales Week 3.

33k sales Week 4.

23k sales Week 5.

In real-life the curve isn't as smooth.   T