Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What really killed this game

daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

The passive gameplay style. 

For instance; in the early levels the instances are easy to run and you don't need to CC anything to succeed.   I really enjoyed it up until around level 30+

In the later levels, you basically have to CC everything down to one mob and kill one mob at a time in order to get through the levels.

Welcome to EQ 1 all over again.

After playing EQ for so long, I can't do this playstyle anymore.    Especially after having played through Rift, and enjoyed the fast paced combat.

Not to mention so much CC never transfers well into PVP...  I hated PVP in this game.  Probably the worst PVP I've ever played in an MMO. I  wish I could have got my money back really, it was that bad.

You don't even understand how bad this game is...  I was really upset at myself for having spent 60 dollars on this and buying the hype when I could have took that 60 dollars and spent it on something I'd actually enjoy. 

This game isn't just going in my junk pile, I'm going to fucking burn it. 

Shadowbane, Hellgate London, Tabula Rasa all gets cancelled, and you guys let this game live on?  REALLY?

They developed a trade skill that... gives you money.  THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A WARNING SIGN WHY DIDN'T I SEE IT!

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Sorry to hear you were disappointed in the game.

The good news is that Hellgate is back online!

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Don't blame hype. Blame cen$or$hip.

Do you want to know why censorship is bad? Because silencing one side totally, gives the perception that everyone is in agreement. It's called manufactured public opinion.

If everyone is thinking the same, then somebody isn't thinking.

Not gonna lie though, the game is $35 on Amazon, might get a copy when it hits the 20s.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by daveospice

The passive gameplay style. 

For instance; in the early levels the instances are easy to run and you don't need to CC anything to succeed.   I really enjoyed it up until around level 30+

In the later levels, you basically have to CC everything down to one mob and kill one mob at a time in order to get through the levels.

Welcome to EQ 1 all over again.

After playing EQ for so long, I can't do this playstyle anymore.    Especially after having played through Rift, and enjoyed the fast paced combat.

Not to mention so much CC never transfers well into PVP...  I hated PVP in this game.  Probably the worst PVP I've ever played in an MMO. I  wish I could have got my money back really, it was that bad.

You don't even understand how bad this game is...  I was really upset at myself for having spent 60 dollars on this and buying the hype when I could have took that 60 dollars and spent it on something I'd actually enjoy. 

Shadowbane, Hellgate London, Tabula Rasa all gets cancelled, and you guys let this game live on?  REALLY?

They developed a trade skill that... gives you money.  THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A WARNING SIGN WHY DIDN'T I SEE IT!

worst part is, SW:TOR isnt even as good as SWG was after the NGE hit it... makes you think really, how did they get it so badly wrong? image

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I was really upset at myself for having spent 60 dollars on this and buying the hype

You played EQ1. You've been a member at this site for several years. This suggests you are a MMO vet.

Still you haven't learned never to trust hypes?

No rude intentions, but I can't feel sorry for you.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

So TLDR verision..

Game sucks because it has lots of CC and i want to play Hellgate London.

• daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

I actually don't want to play hellgate london.  The new version is an abomination, and doesn't have hardcore mode.

I believed the hype because it was Bioware... Bioware has NEVER done me wrong.  Okay, Mass Effect 2 was meh... but never before that!

It's like a girl who promised me sex, who had always delivered on past promises...  She still had sex with me, but this time she had gained a lot of weight and she had an std. 

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

My office is currently wondering what I was laughing at.

You the man!

After closing TR, NCsoft gave me a full addition of Aion. Your quote was pretty much what I was thinking at the time.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• StragesStrages Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I'm not sure what game you were playing but the only thing I ever CCed were cannons on the first boss in EV and the healing trash in karaggas, both of which are max level raids if you don't know/didn't get that far. The game is bad, but not for passive gameplay in instances, the leveling instances were probably the funnest part of the game. You're definitely right about the CC in PVP though, that's a complete and infuriating joke most of the time.
  • BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

If your posting to say you want your $60 back then I can understand your frustration, but the best way for me to look at it is; 

I am pleased I figured I disliked the game before I set up a subscription. Also look at $60 being 1/2 the price of a good night out.. just miss one Saturday night and your back in the +.. if you bitch about everything you find pointless after 1 month this world would be a pissing annoying place to live in, listening to everything go on and on and on.. "OMG my toasty maker cost me £35 I have used it once, waste".. "The weights bench I bought and then in the end joined a gym.. £40.. waste" plus soo many more!! but I am starting to figure out that no one gives a shit about your or my whining of lost $$. If you’re going to make a post try and at least make it a good read, open a topic with what you expected from the game, cross reference it with the positives & negatives of your actual game experience and then argue those facts to give your over all game experience. try and avoid hatehatehatehatewastehateburnhatedeath!

I am starting to become more positive in my personal game reviews and I think we all can become overheated with mmo's disappointing us, try and sit back and think of what you did enjoy, and if there was nothing then try and formulate a real argument.  

o/

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

Broken Spoon I completely agree with you.  Which is why I haven't used this account in years.

However, this game was particularly so bad I had to dust off this account, log back in at 4am in the morning and post about it.

I really can't say anything positive about this game other than what already hasn't been said (the storyline).

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

SWTOR is a PvE-thmepark where endgame is all about opeations (raids). So what did you expect there?

As I see it, the only thing that kills the game currently is the lack of raid-content if anything. PvP could be removed alltogether if it was about my oppinion.

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

Fair enough :D 

Lets hope we both find a game we can enjoy :P

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years, which predate EQ. Both in solo and group play the Tank takes on the big guy while the group burns down the ads so they aren't pushing their dps in.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

that you hate the game is one thing, its just something personal. I like the game, but i am not resubbing because of 2 reasons. 1) i dislike monthly subs, and 2) i dont find Swtor worth a sub right now.

these games either got cancelled because the company went broke, or were horribly bad enough that didnt get enough people to play and spend cash on them. Therefore, not making enough income to stay alive. So they died like rats (hellgate is a good example of this and now its free to play. Thats different than Swtor, many people like Swtor and are willing to support the game hoping the devs fix it because they love star wars Lore. Plus BW is stinkily rich (specially along with EA) so... As long as BW actively works on fixing things, the game is far from dying although i wont resub for the reasons i said before

• CavemanBECavemanBE Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by Strages

I'm not sure what game you were playing but the only thing I ever CCed were cannons on the first boss in EV and the healing trash in karaggas, both of which are max level raids if you don't know/didn't get that far. The game is bad, but not for passive gameplay in instances, the leveling instances were probably the funnest part of the game. You're definitely right about the CC in PVP though, that's a complete and infuriating joke most of the time.

Ya in normal you can buth this stops in Hardmode/Nightmare

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by CavemanBE

Originally posted by Strages

Ya in normal you can buth this stops in Hardmode/Nightmare

Interesting news, I wondered why my Commando had a 60 second (max) CC ability, meant to lock down mobs during raids.  (was a bit of overkill when soloing obviously)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

More cheese to go with that.....

Hyperbole central gets another ranting loon blowing off steam about buying some entertainment that wasn't so entertaining.

Some people bought it & don't like it, a whole bunch don't like it & never even played it, a few idiots didn't like the game even before they went & bought it, and some like it still.

I like it, it's got it's flaws but that's MMO's for you, it's still in much better shape than any previous MMO at launch & the development continues apace, it'll catch up on features & content & in the meantime I'll enjoy what's there, unlike many I am happy to explore all of the games content not just the thin edge of the wedge that they do.

Often the blinkered narrow-vision is self-induced. Some call it "how I choose to play" I call it cutting yourself off from what's on offer.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

OP, at least you are not filled with ridiculous rage against a video game, requiring you post angrily on the internet to people who have never heard it before, then actually go and burn your game disks, I mean, its....wait.....nevermind.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Next time before jumping on the hype train do some research on where that train originated from.

In the case of SWTOR it was just the IP, Bioware and CGI trailers.

I've warned several of my friends strarting 2 years ago that the game wouldn't live up to its hype after I've had some hands on time with a demo on a gameshow (Gamescom Cologne). It was one of the most underwhelming MMO's still in development on the whole showfloor.

But they kept telling themselves that surely it was just a demo, everything was placeholder graphics and most of the game features weren't in yet. Even when a year later not so much had changed when it comes to the core game.

Now they're all crying that they feel cheated...

To compare, on that same gameshow I first experienced GW2 as well, I didn't read much about it before then and I'm no fan of the IP (only played GW1 for short time). But my mind got completely blown by the actual gameplay and the enthusiasm / passion of the devs about their own game (high level devs were actually on the show floor with the players like every minute they had spare in their schedule). That's a different type of hype, based on actual gameplay and the devs being very open about the state of development and features in the works.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

yet one more person that didnt get Exactly what they wanted in there stocking this Christmas and is now going to scream, cry and stomp there feet till someone take notice of them and makes them a game just for them, good luck with that.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

General Discussion  » What really killed this game

It just not possible that it is that  bad,heres the proof:

http://www.swtor.com/awards

• Best MMO more times than people have pressed spacebar

• Best whatever more times than people have been CC´ed

Conclusion: it must be the best MMORPG in the universe.

Let's internet

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625

I actually don't want to play hellgate london.  The new version is an abomination, and doesn't have hardcore mode.

I believed the hype because it was Bioware... Bioware has NEVER done me wrong.  Okay, Mass Effect 2 was meh... but never before that!

It's like a girl who promised me sex, who had always delivered on past promises...  She still had sex with me, but this time she had gained a lot of weight and she had an std. 

Is this 'STD' commonly known as 'EA'?

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

Originally posted by ForumPvP

General Discussion  » What really killed this game

It just not possible that it is that  bad,heres the proof:

http://www.swtor.com/awards

• Best MMO more times than people have pressed spacebar

• Best whatever more times than people have been CC´ed

Conclusion: it must be the best MMORPG in the universe.

Warhammer's awards dwarf everything released after it and most released before it.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

It was the best pc game 2009 and now all suddenly 3 years later its bad,i dont believe it.

Let's internet

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by Netspook

I was really upset at myself for having spent 60 dollars on this and buying the hype

You played EQ1. You've been a member at this site for several years. This suggests you are a MMO vet.

Still you haven't learned never to trust hypes?

No rude intentions, but I can't feel sorry for you.

It's hard to resist the hype. I also come from EQ, and knew the game was what it is, but sometimes you want so bad to have some epic MMO to play that you start to belive, or to hope that, maybe, it will be really good. So I preordered. But yes, after 2h playing I realized I was fooling myself and cancelled.

I guess something of the sorts happened to Elikal and so many others.