Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mumble: The new gamers Voice Chat of choice?

VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

So, I've seen a lot of guilds migrating to mumble lately and from what I can tell it performs a lot better than vent ever did.  Not only that, but it does a better job normalizing and has better functions within it.

At any rate Im going to be purchasing a Mumble server for my guild, but was curious if anyone has any experience with selecting a server to host?  Mainly is it smart to choose a more centrally located server in your region or is it better to choose the server closest to where you live? 

I would think for MMO's you would want to choose a more centrally located server.  So for instance, I live in florida and I have options of Tampa and Atlanta.  Since my member are scattered across the east coast and some west coasters, shouldnt I choose Atlanta?

Also, could anyone recommend a server host?  I've found gameservers.com to be reasonalbe and offer a wide selection of server locations

Comments

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

So, I've seen a lot of guilds migrating to mumble lately and from what I can tell it performs a lot better than vent ever did.  Not only that, but it does a better job normalizing and has better functions within it.

At any rate Im going to be purchasing a Mumble server for my guild, but was curious if anyone has any experience with selecting a server to host?  Mainly is it smart to choose a more centrally located server in your region or is it better to choose the server closest to where you live? 

I would think for MMO's you would want to choose a more centrally located server.  So for instance, I live in florida and I have options of Tampa and Atlanta.  Since my member are scattered across the east coast and some west coasters, shouldnt I choose Atlanta?

Also, could anyone recommend a server host?  I've found gameservers.com to be reasonalbe and offer a wide selection of server locations

typefrag.com now has mummble hosting and they say they have one of the fastest most dependable networks in the world.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

EQ2s Voice chat works great.... No external Voice Needed.. I can talk to my guild.. My raid, or my group what more do i need..

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

Mumble works great for a person with a small guild the sound is clear and has more options than Vent.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I'm sure it works great for many people but i still prefer ventrilo, the configurations it allows you and most importantly... no users end up hearing others as tinny robotic voices right off the bat.

Perhaps i'm set in my ways but my few experiences with Mumble haven't been great. Better certainly than Teamspeak but in my eyes it doesn't trump vent or anywhere near it.