Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard going ftp in europe

13»

Comments

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by cybertrucker

Seeing how Vanguard is a truly open world (minus APW)  and the underwater dungeon (cant remember the name) I dont see how they will keep people from going into areas in the FTP exception is APW. Which is an absolutely amazing raid dungeon.

Probably will do something along the lines of Cant equip Legendary items, Unless you get station cash to open it up. Maybe make 1 class for each of the Archetypes available.

IE Warrior, Cleric, Sorc, Rogue. Others will have to made available thru Station Cash.  Maybe make Max level 50 unless you pay station cash for upper levels.

If this brings light back to Vanguard I may go back myself. i have Station Access. But just cant stand to see the world so unpopulated. And you can only champion the cause for so long before you say. enough is enough. I will say. Tanks were way overpopulated (at least in my guild) which had me sitting on my thumbs in APW raids way to often. Especially since my guild leader and 2 offficers were tanks as well. (guess who got to the tanking haha)

I do hope they do something about armor. Maybe make appearance slots. I always hated running around looking like a mixed up vagabond.

But then again. I dont know if I will go back. I am really enjoying my time in EQ2 right now as well.

um. 

1. They do not have to restrict dungeons 

2. Put invisible wall in front of dungeon entrance, only enter if FLAGGED = done

3. Vanguard has appearance slots.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

It better not have stupid class restrictions like EQ2.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I jumped for joy just now.  Truly.  Listen to me SOE, when it goes F2P, I'm going to resub and go GOLD.  Do it quickly though before I'm pulled away by TSW and GW2.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

As Skaara has posted, Zat has mentioned on the VG forums that there's no deal in place currently. link

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

As a couple of people have said, my information is that no deal is happening for VG. In fact the rumour is that SOE are looking to revamp their game catalogue (which includes buying another mmo) but that future catalogue won't include making VG F2P.  Most likely scenario is that VG will be shut down in August if no other publisher is willing to take it on as they do not see it as having a viable future without some major investment.

Edit. clarity.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Originally posted by Josh007CL

Vanguard gets a new community manager. Could this be another sign for f2p?

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/newsArchive.vm?section=News&month=current&id=1363

Unfortunately no it's not a sign.  Naylie got moved to EQ1 (promoted), so Zatozia is going to take over.  It's not good news at all because certain folks at SOE are just watching over several games because there aren't much going on.  Naylie is an active community manager, so it was good news when she was still with Vanguard.  Now she's moved away from Vanguard, that's not good news at all.

Again folks need to wait for official announcements from SOE before getting too excited.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Interestingly enough Zat has also been revealed as the new CM for the EQMac community: link

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Originally posted by Xexv

Interestingly enough Zat has also been revealed as the new CM for the EQMac community: link

Yup EQMac community is another small, not as active community.  There are folks at SOE that watches over these smaller, non-active communities.  When your game is assigned such rep, you know it's a downgrade and does not indicate SOE seeing Vanguard becoming active anytime soon.  While losing Naylie isn't a big deal for VG as Naylie's just a community rep.  But it's telling because she got promoted to an active community, while VG is assigned someone to simply watch over various lower populated and low activity communities.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151

I will most likely play this game if it goes F2P. The game was unplayable for an extremely long time after launch, sure, but the game itself as far as detail, class systems, and content (dungeons) is absolutely spot on. Not to mention this game has: flying mounts, player crafted boats, and player crafted housing. For it's time, this game had many revolutionary ideas. Hopefully the F2P platform can help bring people back so the game has an actual community.

• TortanicTortanic Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by oubers

Originally posted by Superduper69

Originally posted by Ingvar
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=515291
    This is the best news i have  heard in a long time regarding MMOS. i always thought Vanguard would get lot more players if it goes F2P. SOE you are awesome.

b4 you call SOE awesome....wait untill the shops open up.

I'm surprised they've not tried to start charging on a per-key press basis.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Yes, APW is amazing.

BUT !

They really should change the dungeon. You should have to get a full set of APW armor before you can continue to level above 50. And when you enter it as level above 50, you should be automatically be mentored down to 50. Then APW still would be a challenge, and still be interesting.

Right now, APW is a joke compared to the status it had before the levelraise. Its just trivial. Some mobs can now be killed with a group of level 55, instead of a raidforce.

Originally posted by ace80k

[...] For it's time, this game had many revolutionary ideas. [...]

Which, as the game was not a success and nobody copies its concept, are still just as revolutionary as back then.

• MaendauronMaendauron Member Posts: 118

I wish they hadn't waited this long to do it.  I will return and play again.  I stopped playing and lost my house I had built but that's ok.  Hopefully more people will play, I always had trouble as my time zone didn't see many other people playing when I was on so I ended up quitting.

I will give it another go, seriously still my favourite game.

• Josh007CLJosh007CL Member CommonPosts: 38

I am considering starting my account back up just because of how great this game is. Does anyone know how groups are forming now days? That's the one problem I had, was getting someone to group with to do harder quests.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

I don't mind it going FTP but i think they should leave Telon as the veteran server,everything stays the same other than updates and new content,no major cashshop.

This would be the reward for their so called 'beloved' vanguard players who have stuck with the game since release.

Originally posted by stealthbr

Interesting news. Telon, even back in 07, felt empty. Wonder how the experience will fare with a greater number of players online.

That was only because the gameworld is huge. With the LFG tools though its not much of an issue anymore. If players are there and interested, you will find them quickly.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Adamantine

Originally posted by stealthbr

Interesting news. Telon, even back in 07, felt empty. Wonder how the experience will fare with a greater number of players online.

That was only because the gameworld is huge. With the LFG tools though its not much of an issue anymore. If players are there and interested, you will find them quickly.

even after the initial bugfest on release and it was up and running i never had a problem finding groups anywhere in the game.i do hope they dont make the f2p  to painful for players or that will drive them away again.that saying they have to come back first lol

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Why does Europe get all the f2p conversions first? image

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

It will bring me back, if for not other reason than its the only place to play a goblin how a goblin should be look dammit!!

• narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Why does Europe get all the f2p conversions first? image

DDO and Vindictus are 2 I can remember right now for which that isnt true.

Regardless I do agree and wish that these kind of things could be released and available worldwide right away, unfortunately its a sort of complicated matter for several factors I'm too lazy to get into.

Heard good things about this game but never got to trying it, maybe I will now.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I will definitly be playing! I have always enjoyed the game but couldnt deal with the lack of players. This should fix that!

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by Starpower

Vanguard is going F2P period. Not just in Europe.

All SoE games are going F2P.  Smedly and other producers have said this since their EQ2 F2P experiment.  If that experiment ended up successfully they planned on having all their games, present and future be F2P.  That is the game model they think will be the way of the future.

Smedley....the guy who is apparently impossible to fire. 

I am glad for Vanguard, it needs it, but think that is not the choice that makes me excited for EQ Next.