Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Touchy subject...

nomad3dnomad3d Member Posts: 11

This is a touchy subject to some, I did search first and couldn't find anything much.

Has there been any talk of add-ons or mods for GW2?  

Personally, I like having the ability to use add-ons and mods. I know some don't. 

Please avoid flames :)

Thanks

Comments

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

/walks into thread looking for things to touch.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

I haven't seen anything, but I doubt they will support any kind of mods or ui changes.  Very unlikely imo.

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

I don't belive that there has been any official word from ANet on the subject. However, going by their track record with GW1 and their desing philosophy in general... I highly doubt there will be any sort of modding capability in GW2. I do know that you can resize the UI but its so minimalistic in the first place... I don't think their will be much in the way of customization.

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Some minor mod is supported in GW1 and the game files structure is identical to gw2 so i'm guessing we will be seeing some mod for it thou the dev won't endorse them

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

no add on support, sorry OP

• SoSuMeiSoSuMei Member Posts: 24

I would expect addon support to be extremely frowned upon as they are trying to promote this game as an e-sport.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

No addons or mods will ever be support.. This would potentially give certain people an adventure in PvP, which can not happen as they want it to be an Esport. And no mods for E-sports.

The GW2 interface will give you all you need. It will be resizable, and you can move the single parts of the interface around to your liking when the game releases.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348

Good! Away with advantages for some people regardless of how small it is.

Its not an advantage, we just want to have more customization options to our time in-game.

Well you get some customization options and such but otherwise everyone gets the same cake with equally many candles.

Though the options that the developers provide is never enough and people always manage to create more helpful tools that add to my enjoyment of games.

Some of the common tools in other mmo's often lead to elitism and unfair tactical data that isnt readily available to people who chose to play the game as is.

How is it my fault that I decide to take the time to enhance my experience and others dont?

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I don't feel that this is all that touchy of a subject. Some mmos allow addons, some don't. Going from ANet's previous track record, I would have to guess that addons won't be allowed.

From what I've seen in the videos, I don't see much of a reason to have them. The UI is clean, I haven't seen outlandishly long cooldowns on any ability (if there's a cooldown at all). The Health and Dodge Energy meters are centered well. The radar is in a good position, same as chat. System messages take up a smallish portion of the screen.

I don't see a reasonable argument to need damage meters in GW2, since you should be weaving in and out of various ranges using a wide array of abilities from the different weapons you can use. Hell, I wish WoW hadn't devolved into epeen damage meters races.

As long as I can play in windowed mode, so I can message my wife back n forth when she's at work, and play my music in the background, I'm good.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

I guess it's only touchy to those who likes addons. No addons in GW, none in GW2 either.

It may make some kind of sense in certain games but not having to waste time fending off possible exploits in addons makes a lot sense to me.

Looking at some other games it seems that addons are primarily a mixed bag of good intentions towards customization that ultimately ends up being either exploited or a necessity  for "PVE-elitists" who enjoy analyzing "dps-meters", "gearscores" or their notion of perfect "rotation".

To me, most addons in other games seems to detract more than they add.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by Halandir

I guess it's only touchy to those who likes addons. No addons in GW, none in GW2 either.

It may make some kind of sense in certain games but not having to waste time fending off possible exploits in addons makes a lot sense to me.

Looking at some other games it seems that addons are primarily a mixed bag of good intentions towards customization that ultimately ends up being either exploited or a necessity  for "PVE-elitists" who enjoy analyzing "dps-meters", "gearscores" or their notion of perfect "rotation".

To me, most addons in other games seems to detract more than they add.

I take it you have not seen many "addon threads" then, as it is usually those who dislike addons who bark the loudest, in fear of being judged by the almighty addon-wielding players.

While i certainly wouldn't mind addons being implemented, especially dps-meters and ui mods, i doubt we will see them in GW2.

* Waves at Pushkina *

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

No, mods are not allowed. Texmod will not work with GW2, it was mentioned a while back somewhere.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by komobo

I take it you have not seen many "addon threads" then, as it is usually those who dislike addons who bark the loudest, in fear of being judged by the almighty addon-wielding players.

While i certainly wouldn't mind addons being implemented, especially dps-meters and ui mods, i doubt we will see them in GW2.

Oh I think I have seen my share :-)

I usually just shrug and move on. I play games for fun, entertainment and even social aspects. Playing with spreadsheets and waiting for someone to wade through their fix of analasys paralasys is as boring to me as it is enjoyable to some.

If a game, or the games population seems highly dependant on "addons" or some such I just move on. No need for me to point fingers at those who enjoy it (even if I may sound like I do) and for the same reason it is not my business to want to change their game and its features.

Personally I am extremely satisfied that GW2 will be free from addons.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I, unlike what seems to be the majority of forum goers, actually really enjoyed all the UI mods for WoW.  I already knew that GW2 wouldn't have add-on mods, but I've always been a bit bummed about it.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

All I need is clear CD indications (Used the big icon in the middle of the screen mod for wow which later was put into the base UI) and dot timer if there are skills that apply a dot with a CD less then the dot duration or just no CD at all.

• ThrageThrage Member Posts: 200

I think addons do way more good than harm.  So many great mods ended up being implemented right into the UI of World of Warcraft, after all.  And, for some people, mod creation is a game all on its own.  Take a game like Rift when it was released or SWTOR, and addons in both were very sorely missed.  (Rift later added mod support.)

In GW2's case, I think it'll play less like World of Warcraft and more like an action game ... Devil May Cry, Brutal Legend or something similar.  Given that, I can live without a damage meter.  The reason those other two games (Rift/SWTOR) needed them is because a damage meter is the only way you can realistically tell if a damage dealer in your group is pulling his or her weight. You can tell if a tank or healer is good without one, and DPS should be held just as accountable for group success or failure.  These roles aren't rigidly assigned in GW2, and there are other, better ways of telling if a person is worth having in your group or not.  Do they keep getting themselves killed?  Do they ignore you when you're down and just wail on the enemy, even if they don't currently have its attention?  Do they continually stand in the die?  Are they using an AoE weapon against a single target?  Do they use their abilities intelligently to assist you and other people in augmenting your damage or preventing you from taking damage?

All good things to consider when it comes time to add people to your friends list.

I would like to see mods, but I don't feel they're as absolutely necessary for GW2 as they were for other recent hard-trinity MMO releases that didn't have them.

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by Halandir

Originally posted by komobo

Oh I think I have seen my share :-)

I usually just shrug and move on. I play games for fun, entertainment and even social aspects. Playing with spreadsheets and waiting for someone to wade through their fix of analasys paralasys is as boring to me as it is enjoyable to some.

If a game, or the games population seems highly dependant on "addons" or some such I just move on. No need for me to point fingers at those who enjoy it (even if I may sound like I do) and for the same reason it is not my business to want to change their game and its features.

Personally I am extremely satisfied that GW2 will be free from addons.

Now i can subscribe to that view.

However, what i have a problem with in regards to the addon mumbojumbo is the people who so thoroughly dislike addons (notably dps-meters), that they vehemently crusade against them or any mention thereof.

It is a very egotistical view in my opinion as it deprives other people the right of and enjoyment addons bring to some. If one does not like addons, said person is still free to do whatever (s)he pleases without the aid of addons. Sure, you'll find people who do not hesitate to point out just how awful you dps is and yes it can be frustrating if you are easily influenced.

But MMOs are fascinating creatures with a great variety in players and player personalities - don't like addons? Rest assured that you'll find like-minded players whose guild/party/raid you may join, out of harm's reach of the undermining addons.

Whether GW2 lends itself to addons like dps-meters, is a different matter tho. Lacking distinct roles such as those found in the holy trinity format, i think GW2 will do perfectly fine without. Now i come to think of it, i remember seeing a combat log in one of the chat tabs? If there's a way to store the combat data, we'll undoubtedly see one of those 'off-line' ACT dps parser.

* Waves at Pushkina *

• 1carcarah11carcarah1 Member Posts: 172

Although i like mods, they give tools to make complex bots like the ones we have seen done by Pirox for WoW. So i dont really have a clear opinon about it

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by Timukas

I honestly hope there won't be add on support and no Rift style macros either where you can spam 10 skills with one button.

go away, seriously.  I utilized macros to the max in Rift and still had 8+ diff keys that I used regularly, and would have had 20 otherwise which is STUPID.

• ThrageThrage Member Posts: 200

This thread is surprisingly civil despite the title.

Edit:  Spoke too soon.  Or I guess a little too late.