Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Game of Thrones MMO: GDC Sneak Peek Incoming

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

BigPoint has announced that attendees of this year's Game Developer's Conference will be able to get a first look at the MMO currently in development based on the Song of Fire & Ice book series by George R.R. Martin. BigPoint has partnered with HBO to bring the popular TV series to life and has chosen Norwegian development studio, Artplant, to bring the game to life.

Bigpoint has selected seasoned Norwegian development studio, Artplant, as is its development partner for this project. The title will be built atop the Unity development platform, the technology behind several of Bigpoint’s breakthrough titles, including Battlestar Galactica Online, which Artplant also helped develop. Over 80 million consumers have installed the Unity plug-in, which enables them to play extremely high-fidelity games through their web browsers.

The initial closed beta phase is scheduled to begin sometime in the Fall of 2012.

Check out the Game of Thrones MMO site for more information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

"BigPoint... Battlestar Galactica Online..."

Pay to Winter is coming. 

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Awsome! Another amazing I.P about to be bum raped by the money bear.  It's not like me to make snap judgments but Bigpoiunt? FFS! I really don't think  the Battlestar Galactica game is that bad. Pvp is pretty good fun. But Game Of Thrones deservers tripple A and nothing less. But saying that, I have been having great fun on the Westros Total war mod recently for Medievel 2, and that can hardly be described as tripple A, just a few guys working hard. I don't know, what I really wanted to see for this I.P was just.....More.

• inzane3inzane3 Member UncommonPosts: 103

The book was absolutely amazing. 

The TV series were good.

The Game will probably be not so good...

Here is hoping i'm wrong :P

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

/sigh.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

Going to chaulk this up as a flop.   Look like just another attempt by intellectually bankrupt developers to take a famous IP and make a bad game off of it as we have seen countless times again.  Haven't we learned yet that MMO's based off IP are usually end up being terrible?

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

BigPoint.. seriously.. _-_

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by umcorian

Pay to Winter is coming. 

lol I see what you did there :)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I did not like the way they did Battlestar Galactica, hence I doubt this game will be any good either.  Besides client in the web browser immediately limits what you can do with a game.

Shame this title got reduced to such a limited game.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by umcorian

Pay to Winter is coming. 

Totally in line with Canon if you choose house lannister
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

BigPoint has announced that attendees of this year's Game Developer's Conference will be able to get a first look at the MMO currently in development based on the Song of Fire & Ice book series by George R.R. Martin. BigPoint has partnered with HBO to bring the popular TV series to life and has chosen Norwegian development studio, Artplant, to bring the game to life.

Bigpoint has selected seasoned Norwegian development studio, Artplant, as is its development partner for this project. The title will be built atop the Unity development platform, the technology behind several of Bigpoint’s breakthrough titles, including Battlestar Galactica Online, which Artplant also helped develop. Over 80 million consumers have installed the Unity plug-in, which enables them to play extremely high-fidelity games through their web browsers.

The initial closed beta phase is scheduled to begin sometime in the Fall of 2012.

Check out the Game of Thrones MMO site for more information.

What information, it would have been more accurate to say, visit this site and give them your email address so they can use you for marketing, was this a paid slot. Seriously, there is no information there whatsoever.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I hope they don't ruin this, although my expectations arent high. I love the world that George R.R Martin has created, lets hope that they give it the respectful treatment it deserves.

From the site it looks like it might be a three faction thing between the Lannisters, Starks and Baratheons. It would be a shame if they didnt get the Greyjoys involved.