Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Searching Towns?

I have several times gotten a message from the Barkeep of a town that he's heard `so-and-so discarded a <valuable-equipment-item> somewhere here in town'.  Someone else told me you can then recover it if you search in the right place.

What I am wondering is how?  Is there a way to get a pointer to the right area?  If not, how large of an area does the Search skill actually search?  If I really want to canvas a town looking for something, I need to know how far apart to do my searches...

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

When a player discards an item, it doesn't simply vanish.  Rather, it sits there invisibly until someone else comes along and discovers it.  If you use search in the right spot (on land) or recognition (at sea), you can find the item and get it yourself.  I'm not sure if there are rank requirements (e.g., need search at least rank 3 to find this item, at least rank 7 to find that item, etc.).

As for the search radius, I'm not sure how big it is.  Even if I find something that someone else dropped (which I rarely do, as I don't look), I don't know where he dropped it.  For adventuring discoveries, you have to be in almost exactly the right spot to make the discovery in towns.  Outside of towns, there's a much larger radius, about the size of the interior of some of the larger buildings.

If you want to discover things dropped by other players, you may wish to search in locations where players are likely to drop things.  Any location that you can run to by clicking on the minimap is a location that players are likely to often stand, and hence likely to drop things.  Right in front of NPCs that someone might run up to and talk to is another good place to search.

However, items that are dropped tend not to be very valuable.  They were discarded for a reason.  If someone discarded a main full rigged sail, for example, you might think, wow, that's worth 3m, I should go get it.  But when you find it, you might well learn that the reason it was discarded is that its durability is at 1/120.

• CyndraCyndra Member Posts: 2

I see..   I was assuming the so-and-so's discarding things were NPCs and dropping good items for people to find if they put enough effort into it.

Is there no way to repair the durability on things?  I've been wondering how to do that to make my student outfit last through all the schools...

• UristMcDwarfUristMcDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 111

Originally posted by Cyndra

I see..   I was assuming the so-and-so's discarding things were NPCs and dropping good items for people to find if they put enough effort into it.

Is there no way to repair the durability on things?  I've been wondering how to do that to make my student outfit last through all the schools...

I dont' think so, Cyndra. I know there's the Master Craftman's tool or whatever that gives you +1 durability to your ship.. however, it's a lot of money.. so you'd probably be better off just buying a new ship.

This is my main problem with the game, personally. I hate how everything in-game is eventually going to break. It's like I'm afraid to get into fights because one wrong hit and your new ship is down 20 durability points. I also don't wear expensive clothing and weapons because that, too, is going to wear down. Which sucks because everything in game lowers it. So it's like I just save my money and suffer because I'm too afraid to buy things. I guess I just hate that "time limit" feeling where all your stuff is going to eventually break.

If it's bad now I'm afraid what it's going to be at high levels. ugh.

Currently Playing:
    nothing :(

• rixkrixk Member Posts: 45

It is an economical game, you have to balance your expenses and incomes to make profit. Of course, when your income is low, then there is not very wise to spend a lot of money for the best equipment in game, simply because you can't afford it. But as the time goes by and you level/skill up, your income also increases, so you can spend more cash on nice things.

At higher levels the problem isn't so much about "how to get/keep nice things", bigger problem is "where to store all that stuff you get". :)

Also about repairing ships. Yes, at lower levels it will be wiser to simply sell your broken ship and buy a new one. But, if you still want to repair the ship, remember this. Master carpentry tools restore dura of every ship in the fleet. So best idea is to gather 5 friends with broken ships, everyone buys for example 10 master carpentry tools and start repairing. This way you all spent money for only 10 MCT each, but 50 durability restored.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

There are master tailoring tools and master smithy tools to repair various pieces of gear.  But those cost several hundred thousand ducats per point of durability repaired, so it only makes sense to use them for really high end gear.  So sure, you repair an excalibur, but not a guisarme.