Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mega Corps and pirating

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Are there companies out there that are so successful that they really don't care if you pirate their products even if they catch you?

Comments

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Lets see, just off the top of my head:

Microsoft, Apple, Blizzard, 20th Century Fox

All of them are HUGE companies that make pirateable material and have achieved rediculously high profit margins on at least a large portion of their products. All of them are also heavily invested in anti-piracy measures. So far as I am aware, all major companies in the business are involved in antipiracy, either through their own efforts or via legislature.

It appears that the answer is no, and frankly, I'd consider a company that didn't care their stuff was being pirated to be foolish at best, regardless of how much money they were making otherwise.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

If your looking for someone who basicly says Mehh, what ever. You have no chance with a big dog. The little ones though might not care, or be able to afford the bill to try and stop you.

That said most the little ones that dont care, really couldent sell it "Most of the time" anyways. So free is about their only option.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Of course they care, I think you meant do they care enough to prosecute a single person? No, their lawyers get paid way more than that stolen copy of Transformers 3 cost them.

Kind of reminds me of how Limewire tried to sell Limewire Pro, which you could download off Limewire
  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Aelfinn

Microsoft, Apple, Blizzard, 20th Century Fox

Games for Windows was Microsoft's attempt at DRM, and it sucks that I still have to use it for Fable 3, even though it's accessed through Steam. I-tunes is, essentially, DRM. Blizzard has taken down and sued multiple private shards of their game, but namely because they were earning money with their product. 20th Century Fox is owned by multiple groups, and handles material by MGM and United Artists, who do not mess around... if they had a hand in any anti-piracy, the blame would get lost in the wash.

The fact of the matter is, they all care, and all actively *do something* about it. Most secretly funded the push for SOPA as well.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

This discussion has been closed.